• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 2 - a new true crime chapter takes us to 1979 Sioux Falls - Mon on FX

Opto

Banned
UFO in the first ep, now a passage from War of the Worlds. What's going to be next week's alien reference ?

UFO in the first ep, now a passage from War of the Worlds. What's going to be next week's alien reference ?

I can't be the only one who saw the JJ Abrams lens flare in a couple different scenes that was evocative of a UFO in the sky, right? Especially the last scene with the passage from War of the Worlds.

Sadsic

I can't be the only one who saw the JJ Abrams lens flare in a couple different scenes that was evocative of a UFO in the sky, right? Especially the last scene with the passage from War of the Worlds.

i was totally expecting to see the UFO again there as well

IronRinn

There was definitely some lens flare in that last shot.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm not sure where they're going with the alien stuff, but I'm hoping they won't go too far off the deep end with it. I kinda like the subtle stuff, but I'm gonna be upset if they just have aliens land in North Dakota.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Im going through season one to catch up (I know I don't technically have to do that since its anthology). Yo that sixth episode, damn that was some fine television. Im loving the show but that episode was amazing :eek:

Hopefully season 2 is living up to season 1 so far

I love Jeff Wayne's _War of the Worlds_. Our college station plays it every Halloween. Just elevated this show to nearly GOAT on that alone. =)

I don't know what the hell that War of the Worlds ending was about, but it was amazing.

Every scene in this episode was layered with so much tension!

Was Peggy's friend coming onto her?

Im going through season one to catch up (I know I don't technically have to do that since its anthology). Yo that sixth episode, damn that was some fine television. Im loving the show but that episode was amazing :eek:

Hopefully season 2 is living up to season 1 so far
Season 1 is goat, cant beat Billy Bob's performance no matter what they try here in S2, just sayin'

Turin

Banned
Good stuff. Really enjoyed the scenes with Mike Milligan. Especially when he gets pulled over by Hank.

I don't know what the hell that War of the Worlds ending was about, but it was amazing.

Every scene in this episode was layered with so much tension!

Was Peggy's friend coming onto her?

Yeah. It's pretty obvious she's into her.

The extended nature of this episode was a pleasant surprise.
90 minutes of good stuff. The shows does a remarkable job of capturing that period of time and not relying on music alone to do so. They deserve a lot of credit for that.

Edit:

Lifespring on Fargo, Est on The American. Don't get caught up in these seminars, TV characters!

Hatchtag

Banned
I'm not sure where they're going with the alien stuff, but I'm hoping they won't go too far off the deep end with it. I kinda like the subtle stuff, but I'm gonna be upset if they just have aliens land in North Dakota.

There was a lot of hints that Lorne Malvo was some sort of supernatural being last season, but they kept the whole thing subtle. Likely the same thing here. I wonder if that balloon was the UFO?

Also, was Molly's snowman named Billy Bob? lol

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Man, I wonder how many pounds Jesse Plemons put on for the role.

Great episode again, this season is shaping up to be just as good as season 1.

The UFO stuff is kinda weird, though. Wonder if that's going anywhere or what.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Big thumbs up on the War of the World's ending.

j-wood

The guy playing Mike Milligan sounds EXACTLY like Dave Chappelle doing his white person voice. I can't shake it.

I almost even thought it WAS Dave Chappelle.

Great opening. Loved the cast. Loved Fat Damon.

as soon as I saw him, I knew this is what people would be calling him on the internet lol

He'll make another good "nice guy in a tough spot" type like william h macy

kirsten dunst looks about 45 in this, though still pretty hot

The guy playing Mike Milligan sounds EXACTLY like Dave Chappelle doing his white person voice. I can't shake it.

I almost even thought it WAS Dave Chappelle.

yup, I heard that too. I feel like he's given too many lines to be honest. that whole scene at the traffic stop was like hammering over your head that he's crazy or evil or something. I like the villain shrouded in some mystery.

Bandit1

Some pretty intense scenes this episode. The traffic stop, the butcher shop, aw jeez I didn't expect Todd to go the meat grinder route..

- Warming Glow review
- NY Times on last night's episode

BuUpLLl.gif

A few other recent articles/interviews:
- NY Mag: Highlights from the recent PaleyFest panel
- Daily Beast interview with Patrick Wilson
- NY Mag interview with Jesse Plemons

Wasn't super-crazy about the first episode of S2; enjoyed it but thought it rang a little hollow and I was still trying to figure out where it was going. Fully on board and engaged after last night. Choo choo.

- NY Mag: Noah Hawley Annotates One of Fargo’s Tensest Scenes So Far
Vulture caught up with Fargo creator Noah Hawley at PaleyFest last weekend to get a sense of where his head was when writing this scene. Below, Hawley annotates the script for us, noting where sound effects were added to ramp up the tension, and what Woodbine and Danson brought to their roles.

What films influenced this scene, either the writing or the way you shot it?

It's a very tense scene between them, and a lot of what's tense about it is how unperturbed Bokeem's character seems to be by the fact that a policeman has pulled them over and taken them out of the car. And the fact that they're on this isolated road. There’s a sense you get from the Coens’ work, like No Country for Old Men, where you put these characters in situations and you just let this painful amount of time take place. Part of the tension is just how long it takes to get out of that scene. Ted Danson was sort of singularly wonderful in showing one thing to Bokeem, you know, and showing something else to us.

It reminds me of that scene in the first season, where Billy Bob Thornton runs into—

Yeah, yeah, with Colin Hanks. I like the idea that when there is a reference point, it creates an expectation. You remember that scene. When Molly's pregnant and she leaves the police station, and Malvo's in a cabin, you can't help but think, Am I going to see what I saw in the movie? And then when you don't, you have this feeling like, I thought one thing was going to happen and then something else happened. And that's a much more interesting experience, I find, than giving you the thing that you see in your head. Here the stress of that would be, we know that Colin got away, but will Ted get away?
Video of the scene and an annotated script via the link.

Konka

Banned
I really loved that episode. The camera work, the music and the performances are all incredible in this show.

Top Bottom