• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAST Racing NEO |OT| When Everyone's Fast, No One Will Be

3 hours is way too long

mKaBHvg.gif

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm excited. Will pick up in January. Current cash going to buy shit for kids for Xmas so I setup a no buy policy for shit for myself.

jariw

Downloading. The FRN music plays in the eShop. Strange that the requirements says 1220 MB on the front page, but on the purchase page it says 590.3 MB.

Datschge

Strange that the requirements says 1220 MB on the front page, but on the purchase page it says 590.3 MB.
Has been mentioned before, you need room for both the installer and the game itself, the former gets downloaded and removed again after installation.

desu

Man, worst OT title possible with so many absolutely awesome ideas in the old threads!

Anyway, playing it now and I love it already.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Gotta say, if you have a Pro Controller, use it. Seriously. The game forces you to use the A button for accelerate which, on the Wii U gamepad, is in a location I've found very uncomfortable for long holding sessions. My thumb was cramping! Switched over to the Pro Controller and it feels great.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta say, if you have a Pro Controller, use it. Seriously. The game forces you to use the A button for accelerate which, on the Wii U gamepad, is in a location I've found very uncomfortable for long holding sessions. My thumb was cramping! Switched over to the Pro Controller and it feels great.

Is there going to be a DF article on this game?

OryoN

Footage I shared last night for those wondering what type of speed Hypersonic has to offer:

WTF Nate! Thank you! Those videos are amazingly crisp! I knew a lot of quality was lost in all the FRN footage I've seen up to this point, but damn, this is a night and day difference here. It really helps you appreciate the work Shin'en has put into this game. It's just beautiful! Good job my dude!

OP, you need to update the OP with at least one of those videos. They are too awesome to be glossed over!
I planned to download this game soon-ish, but I'm even more anxious now.

desu

Just came to post this, playing with the WiiU gamepad is kind of atrocious for me. I played this with a Pro Controller at Gamescom and it was so much better. Guess I need to go buy a controller now.

Also, press accelerate at 2 at the start to get a boost :D.

As for the game, dunno if it was just the A button issue for me, but even the slowest class is kind of fast if you boost all the time. I can totally see the higher classes to be totally hardcore. As for for the rest, small download, very fast loading and cool music. Awesome game.

Uiki

This game is fucking hard! But i really love it. I was worried about the handling but it's working fine (at least in the subsonic thingy). And holy shit it's fast.

As someone who hasn't paid attention to the Wii U for a few months, this is a welcome surprise! Will be picking this up today, looks fantastic!

Stupid question, but does this game support off tv gamepad play?

Baleoce

Question (for while I'm downloading it), does the game use the right analogue stick for anything? it's just the right sticks deadzone on my pro controller is knackered, hope it won't affect this game at all.

Uiki

As someone who hasn't paid attention to the Wii U for a few months, this is a welcome surprise! Will be picking this up today, looks fantastic!

Stupid question, but does this game support off tv gamepad play?

Yes

Question (for while I'm downloading it), does the game use the right analogue stick for anything? it's just the deadzone on my pro controller is knackered, hope it won't affect this game at all.

Nope.

GokouD

Wow that blows :( I always use Y to accelerate in MK8 because using A gives me cramps.

NotLiquid

My first "wow" moment in the game was had in Chuoku City when I boosted off of one of the jumps. The perspective and environment was amazing.

This game feels so good.

casiopao

Dammit guys. Post more pics here. I am still waiting for my E-shop point card to arrive and seeing all you guys enjoying this game is killing me.T_T

NotLiquid

Can you appreciate the visuals to an extent or are you going too fast???

The environmental set pieces are usually structured in such a way that you do get enough time to absorb the setting while still maintaining the feeling of being fast. The first track of the second cup has this really nice segment where you're driving through a curved pathway where there's a really nice skyline. When approaching it I kind of knew what the game was about to go for and when I had my assumptions vindicated it was a pretty satisfying moment.

I'd say they nailed the mix of environments and speed. They really tailored them for the kind of game play that's present.

EDIT: Here's a quick screen I grabbed from the second stage of the second cup.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01mcumh.jpg

jariw

This game feels so good.

This. The smooth 60 fps feeling and the sense of speed is fantastic.

Some things I haven't seen mentioned in reviews:
* The course design is really good, in that it's always possible to clearly see the colored boost regions in advance.
* When playing with the Pro Controller, the Gamepad screen is turned off automatically.
* When loading a course, there's always some hint text on screen.

All reviews except the "it isn't F-Zero" ones seems to be very fair.

I have a Wii Pro controller, not the Wii U one. Does it support that?

Strike that, I'm stupid. I have the classic controller not the pro controller. Derp.

Top Bottom