• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAST Racing NEO |OT| When Everyone's Fast, No One Will Be

Tripy73

I will see for myself this evening..

Honestly, like I wrote a couple of times before in FRN-threads, this game is the sole reason for the last few months why I still kept my WII U.

Great to hear all the good first impressions here...

Just for FRN, no for Xeno or Zelda?

Indeed. Getting a direct screen cap is kinda tricky with this game. I've tried getting screenshots of boosting but they don't really turn out that good even though the game has some fantastic tricks that make the motion look stunning.

You use what as equipment of capturing the game?

Astral Dog

Im not a big fan of racing games but this one looks interesting.
It would be a nice change of pace from the other not so good arcade Shin En games.

Astral Dog

You didn't like Nano Assault Neo???

I can be critical of the developer but that game was super fun to me albeit simple.
I played both Nano Assaults and other Shin En games (well just Iridion 3D ), not bad but not good either, they become a bit boring after awhile, and mechanics are kinda annoying with the small sized levels.
But well, if this is fun as the reviews say im getting it:p i did like FZero.

NotLiquid

Any reason they can't be on L & R or there can't be remapping so players can play to their own preference?

R is used for boosting while L is used for phase switching (which is also doable with the X button). While I imagine it would be nice to allow the possibility to remap the acceleration to a trigger it feels far more optimal to have the acceleration on a button where it doesn't feel like a somewhat extraneous process to move your fingers between stability and acceleration. As an example, it's easy to move index fingers between triggers and bumpers and you won't always be boosting or leaning to make the alteration process cumbersome. Plus phase switching becomes incredibly easy by just tilting your thumb onto the X button. But if you have leaning on a bumper while acceleration on a trigger, you need to utilize both the middle fingers and index fingers to optimally accelerate and lean while putting additional thought into when the thumb is going to switch phase or boost.

You use what as equipment of capturing the game?

Direct feed uploading from Wii U

You didn't like Nano Assault Neo???

I can be critical of the developer but that game was super fun to me albeit simple.

Shin'en has had a few misses, but generally anything with their future aesthetic (Nano Assaults and FAST Racing) are great games.

Jett Rocket was as technically well put together as any of their games but it lacked some of that spark that mascot platformers need. And Fun! Fun! Minigolf Touch on 3DS was kind of weird. Some issues with the 3D display, and every shot had to be done from the start of the course (basically had to get holes-in-one every time IIRC).

ElFly

What's the ETA for the NA store?

Goddamn, I am down to 8gb free on my 32gb wiiu

If I get XBCX I will have to clean the fridge somewhat hardcore

What's the ETA for the NA store?

Goddamn, I am down to 8gb free on my 32gb wiiu

If I get XBCX I will have to clean the fridge somewhat hardcore

I had to delete NSMBU to make room for everything else ):

Nintendo, why would you deliberately fuck up something as essential as harddrive capacity this badly? Just, why?

ZeroX03

Banned
R is used for boosting while L is used for phase switching (which is also doable with the X button). While I imagine it would be nice to allow the possibility to remap the acceleration to a trigger it feels far more optimal to have the acceleration on a button where it doesn't feel like a somewhat extraneous process to move your fingers between stability and acceleration. As an example, it's easy to move index fingers between triggers and bumpers and you won't always be boosting or leaning to make the alteration process cumbersome. Plus phase switching becomes incredibly easy by just tilting your thumb onto the X button. But if you have leaning on a bumper while acceleration on a trigger, you need to utilize both the middle fingers and index fingers to optimally accelerate and lean while putting additional thought into when the thumb is going to switch phase or boost

ZR to accelerate, L and R to lean, ZL/X to phase shift and A to boost seems fine to me. Using both middle and index on shoulder buttons isn't uncommon these days.

I'm just not playing a game with my thumb permanently down on A again. It's not comfortable at all.

Exile20

I had to delete NSMBU to make room for everything else ):

Nintendo, why would you deliberately fuck up something as essential as harddrive capacity this badly? Just, why?

You mean giving you the option to use a USB external drive? WHY NINTENDO, WHY? Stop giving us options? Just stop it Nintendo.

AdanVC

Can't wait to try this game. 16 tracks, great gameplay, top notch graphics, online mp, lot's of cool ships and modes, all of that for $15 bucks is like the deal of the year.

Regiruler

Gotta say, if you have a Pro Controller, use it. Seriously. The game forces you to use the A button for accelerate which, on the Wii U gamepad, is in a location I've found very uncomfortable for long holding sessions. My thumb was cramping! Switched over to the Pro Controller and it feels great.

Does B or Y work? I can live with anything but A for accelerate.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I have to say this looks great and I'm also loving the music.
One of the best looking games on the platform.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Got third on easy on my first run on the first course

Gonna need some practice getting used to this lol

NotLiquid

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01o1swe.jpg

dat indie marketing privs

Tripy73

Initially also for Zelda, but after that got delayed to nobody knows when (well, now they said next year), it was only FRN left for me.

I played Xenoblade on the Wii, wasn't a big fan, tbh..

Ok i see, for X is a very different beast than Xenoblade, they just share in common the same base of the battle system.

69wpm

Finished first in the first cup and second with one point difference in the second because 2 fuckers passed by me in the last corner. Darthvaderno.gif

Need to charge my Pro Controller, the GamePad is not great with this game. Btw: I would have liked to strave left and right with the right stick.

Extending the space with any USB drive is not that hard.

Expanding the space with an external drive is a pain in the ass, and becomes even more of a pain in the ass if you ever move your Wii U. I already have 7000 controllers all with their own cords due to Nintendo's ridiculous proliferation of controller types. Now I have an even more fragile piece of hardware with yet another cord to cart around? Fuck that.

It's not like Nintendo is just implementing some industry standard. Their competitors both manage to pack 500-1000gb harddrives into their consoles, and that's with consoles that are impressively cheap for the hardware you get in the box, unlike the Wii U. The only reason Nintendo includes a shockingly tiny harddrive is because they think they can get away with it, and the reason they think they can get away with it is because of Nintendo apologists who defend such nonsense.

I love Nintendo. But decisions like this are shit, and you only make Nintendo worse when you refuse to call them out on it. Including a 32gb harddrive in a console in 2012 was a shitty, cheap-ass, anti-consumer move. Region locking a console (when none of your competitors still do so) is a shitty, deplorable, anti-consumer move that fans should resent and despise. The only way Nintendo is gonna get better with this stuff is if we make it clear that they have to get better.

You mean giving you the option to use a USB external drive? WHY NINTENDO, WHY? Stop giving us options? Just stop it Nintendo.

Wow, you got me. Yes, obviously I was complaining about the option to use external storage, and not the pathetic lack of adequate storage space in the box in the first place. Clearly that's what I meant. How'd you figure that out, you genius you?

cacildo

Because the ZL and ZR buttons are used for left/right leaning which is pretty much integral for a game like this.

Well, you can accelerate with Y on Mario Kart8

(Ive discovered this when i was "damn... my hand hurts from keeping A pressed at all times...")

69wpm

It's not like Nintendo is just implementing some industry standard. Their competitors both manage to pack 500-100gb harddrives into their consoles, and that's with consoles that are impressively cheap for the hardware you get in the box, unlike the Wii U. The only reason Nintendo includes a shockingly tiny harddrive is because they think they can get away with it, and the reason they think they can get away with it is because of Nintendo apologists who defend such nonsense.

I think it has been said for a hundred times or so that the Wii U doesn't have a hard drive. It's flash storage. Yes, the space is limited, we know this since 2012.

That marketing stunt is cool, I wonder if there is more. The game is too fast for me to pay attention though.

Chiramii

I'm still stunned by the graphics of this game. Played it for an hour and had a blast, and will hopefully get some more free time in the evening to play some online multiplayer.

German engineering.

jariw

It's not like Nintendo is just implementing some industry standard. Their competitors both manage to pack 500-100gb harddrives into their consoles, and that's with consoles that are impressively cheap for the hardware you get in the box, unlike the Wii U. The only reason Nintendo includes a shockingly tiny harddrive is because they think they can get away with it, and the reason they think they can get away with it is because of Nintendo apologists who defend such nonsense.

FWIW, the competitors didn't have that kind of storage space when the Wii U was released.

NuttSack

Hmm, Christmas shopping is taking over my budget, might get this game later on next year...if I don't forget about it...

Gsnap

Finished the first cup. Looks great, plays great. Clearly it's going to be absurd on the higher difficulties, but I'm looking forward to it.

I like the switching. Sometimes basic racing games can be less engaging than I'd prefer. But nailing a perfect run with proper switching and boost management is going to be intense and fun.

Sometimes I wish somebody would throw Shinen a budget and have them go wild on an established franchise, but then I worry they'd lose a little bit of what makes them special in the first place.

It's basically a WipEout clone with a colour-boost feature instead of a weapon feature.

The ship-design, and names for ships and tracks, is clearly WipEout inspired. The boost mechanic and track design is very F-Zero.

Now, in a time without WipEout and F-Zero, this is no bad thing. But I wish it had more of its own identity.

Graphics are really nice, but there's more aliasing than Mario Kart 8. I found it easy to overlook in MK8, here it's more noticeable for me. And I have to say, WipEout on PS3 looked a lot cleaner with it's dynamic, 1080p based resolution.

Edit: That said, it's the only graphical niggle I have. And if that's the cost of 60FPS, so be it.

Gameplay is fun, but the AI is rather basic. Like clockwork, one or two will show up around the beginning /end of every lap. I like the colour-switching. Collision detection is weird and jarring since the hitboxes are much larger than the ships, which makes trading paint feel very unsatisfying.

Music is forgettable, but decent.

I look forward to trying split-screen. First impressions are about as expected, good but not quite great. It's easily the best Shin'en game I've played though.

Top Bottom