• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAST Racing NEO |OT| When Everyone's Fast, No One Will Be

The only things that don't look like F-Zero are the handling and some of the track design.

The Blade Runner looking city is probably the most F-Zeroish track I've seen. The rest are less twisty/abstract, with most of the challenge presumably coming from stage hazards, polarity switches, and the overall speed

The handling doesn't look as tight as F-Zero (not in a bad way though). F-Zero is like you pretty much have your ship right in the center of the screen all the time and doing quick tilts and turns, this has more slippery turns where the camera sort of loses the ship. I'll have to reevaluate it once I've actually gotten the chance to play it but yeah

The environmental set pieces are usually structured in such a way that you do get enough time to absorb the setting while still maintaining the feeling of being fast. The first track of the second cup has this really nice segment where you're driving through a curved pathway where there's a really nice skyline. When approaching it I kind of knew what the game was about to go for and when I had my assumptions vindicated it was a pretty satisfying moment.

I'd say they nailed the mix of environments and speed. They really tailored them for the kind of game play that's present.

EDIT: Here's a quick screen I grabbed from the second stage of the second cup.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01mcumh.jpg

Looks like the game is fun and challenging, but those graphics look really rough.

The environmental set pieces are usually structured in such a way that you do get enough time to absorb the setting while still maintaining the feeling of being fast. The first track of the second cup has this really nice segment where you're driving through a curved pathway where there's a really nice skyline. When approaching it I kind of knew what the game was about to go for and when I had my assumptions vindicated it was a pretty satisfying moment.

I'd say they nailed the mix of environments and speed. They really tailored them for the kind of game play that's present.

EDIT: Here's a quick screen I grabbed from the second stage of the second cup.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01mcumh.jpg

It's interesting, the background looks fabulous, but the craft you ride itself has a very rough look to it, imo. Kind of blocky...

Wonder why they went with that...

Dommel

The online multi player can get pretty intense!

Without rubber banding it's absolutely nailbiting to be on somebody's tail hoping he'll make a mistake or try to save up more boost to finally overtake him.

Also love the arcade announcer, perfect for this type of game.

The online multi player can get pretty intense!

Without rubber banding it's absolutely nailbiting to be on somebody's tail hoping he'll make a mistake or try to save up more boost to finally overtake him.

Also love the arcade announcer, perfect for this type of game.

The announcer is from F-Zero GX I think.

Is the online completely smooth so far???

Gotta say, if you have a Pro Controller, use it. Seriously. The game forces you to use the A button for accelerate which, on the Wii U gamepad, is in a location I've found very uncomfortable for long holding sessions. My thumb was cramping! Switched over to the Pro Controller and it feels great.

I better charge my pro controller then.

F-Zero's handling is something that I really miss. You can turn on a dime in that game. It sounds like this is more in the Wipeout style of game. Sounds like it's good but I just need that crazy F-Zero handling to play a futuristic racer.

It's just the compression of the image and very speedy action.

I will see for myself this evening..

Honestly, like I wrote a couple of times before in FRN-threads, this game is the sole reason for the last few months why I still kept my WII U.

Great to hear all the good first impressions here...

F-Zero's handling is something that I really miss. You can turn on a dime in that game. It sounds like this is more in the Wipeout style of game. Sounds like it's good but I just need that crazy F-Zero handling to play a futuristic racer.

Controls seem tight but just not THAT tight.

In F-Zero(at least GX) you could avoid an ant right in front of you.

Lunar15

I agree.That said this is surprisingly closer to F-Zero on the "F-Zero-Wipeout" scale than you'd expect, but it definitely isn't F-Zero.

There's one car that has max acceleration and a low weight. It's the second to last car you unlock. I've been using that because it's probably the tighest controlling car there is, it's the closest I've felt to "GX" style control.

pulsemyne

Nah it's more like a cross between the two. It controls really, really well. Not as floaty as wipeout and not as stuck to the ground as f-zero. They got the mix bang on.

NotLiquid

It's just the compression of the image and very speedy action.

Indeed. Getting a direct screen cap is kinda tricky with this game. I've tried getting screenshots of boosting but they don't really turn out that good even though the game has some fantastic tricks that make the motion look stunning. It kind of reminds me of Sonic Unleashed in that regard. The fourth track of the second cup has some crazy stuff going on with anti gravity, light screen filters and even a meteor herd but it doesn't really do much of the game justice through screens. This is the kind of game you need gifs for.

The crafts themselves look fine and I really like how they're designed since they occupy a space you're not going to necessarily look at (most of your attention will be drawn to the track itself) but the use of the phasing mechanic means that you still get a perfect grasp of the situation by simple coloring mechanics. The contrasts of orange and cyan depending on which phase you're in is easy to grasp due to peripheral vision.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Guys, I've reviewed the game, so I can honestly say: enjoy it. its speed, its graphical quality, its gameplay. one of the best eShop games overall, imho.

Oidisco

Played through 2 cups and a little bit of online, enjoying it so far. I was never a fan of wipeout due to the controls and while this feels a little better to me, I'm still having some trouble with it. I keep trying to drift the same way I do in F-Zero and that obviouslt isn't working.

Anyways, right now my main issue is the lack of minimap. The screen is very busy in some tracks and I find it a little hard to see where I'm going. It's not a big problem though.

ZeroX03

Banned
Gotta say, if you have a Pro Controller, use it. Seriously. The game forces you to use the A button for accelerate which, on the Wii U gamepad, is in a location I've found very uncomfortable for long holding sessions. My thumb was cramping! Switched over to the Pro Controller and it feels great.

Oh man that kind of killed my interest in the game. I can't go back to sore hands from holding down the A button, even on the Pro Controller. Why do devs still do this?

This might be obvious but just reminding people that one of the developers said to use the shoulder buttons to lean.

I bet most here are doing that but it's possible someone might overlook that.

Baleoce

Oh man that kind of killed my interest in the game. I can't go back to sore hands from holding down the A button, even on the Pro Controller. Why do devs still do this?

There should definitely be multiple control configs, wouldn't be hard. I also prefer using D-pad when I can, and I can't use that here. That said, I'm just nit picking. I've played a couple of tracks now and having a lot of fun with it.

NotLiquid

Because the ZL and ZR buttons are used for left/right leaning which is pretty much integral for a game like this.

This might be obvious but just reminding people that one of the developers said to use the shoulder buttons to lean.

I bet most here are doing that but it's possible someone might overlook that.

This was critically useful in F-Zero and I hope it works similarly here. Small strafing adjustments on the track, good stuff.

Damn, incredibly annoying. Key bindings on consoles are a personal pet-peeve of mine. Why the hell is this still an issue, after 8 console generations? Every single console should have system-level key rebinding for any software you want, with no opt-out. And every game should let you freely re-bind keys. The entire console space is worse for lacking this incredibly obvious feature. It's one of those few areas where PC gaming really is just objectively superior.

There should definitely be multiple control configs, wouldn't be hard. I also prefer using D-pad when I can, and I can't use that here. That said, I'm just nit picking. I've played a couple of tracks now and having a lot of fun with it.

Could be easy to patch in, no???

This is their biggest game and the developer alluded to the notion that they will continue to support it.

Datschge

If my eyes don't deceive me the game is in 720p but occasionally drops down to half the horizontal resolution to keep up with the stable 60fps. It's kind of a cool effect adding to the sense of speed as they do appear to use the vertical interlacing some other have noticed before in that case.

Top Bottom