• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame: Nuregarasu no Miko trailer + screenshots (Sep 27 in Japan)

Asbear

Banned
The Fatal Frame series would be so much more appealing for me if it didn't have those final-fantasy esque character designs. I'm not asking for a game with Norman Reedus or any other bigwig actor to be mocapped, I just wish they'd rather look like ordinary japanese people who wear normal clothes than these kimono-wearing magicians or whatever they're supposed to be.

Jucksalbe

Banned
The Fatal Frame series would be so much more appealing for me if it didn't have those final-fantasy esque character designs. I'm not asking for a game with Norman Reedus or any other bigwig actor to be mocapped, I just wish they'd rather look like ordinary japanese people who wear normal clothes than these kimono-wearing magicians or whatever they're supposed to be.

It's a Tecmo game.
If you want more realistic characters you should try the Siren series (if you haven't).

Koren

It's a Tecmo game.
If you want more realistic characters you should try the Siren series (if you haven't).
Actually, there's "miko" in the title... you can expect the kind of kimono-dressed shaman. Just do a google image search on 巫女, they still wear really traditional clothes, and there's the kind of people you call to do sacred cleansing.

Not sure what the problem is (I'm doing a black-out on most of the game to avoid spoilers), but I suspect those are actually perfectly normal. I mean, any catholic priest would be considered wearing really strange clothes for people living in a non-catholic country, wouldn't they?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Yeah, I took this more as a complaint about the "doll" look of the characters, especially since he compared it to Final Fantasy.
The clothes the main characters wear are already pretty normal. The "kimono-wearing magicians" are mostly just priests (as far as I know).

Am I the only one still praying for a multiplatform Fatal Frame / Project Zero game like the first two? I love those Xbox versions...

This one looks amazing by the way! Hope I'll get to play it!
Your prayers will be unanswered as Nintendo seems to control the IP. Have you ever considered buying a Wii U? It delivers quality games infinitely faster than port begging.

Your prayers will be unanswered as Nintendo seems to control the IP. Have you ever considered buying a Wii U? It delivers quality games infinitely faster than port begging.

By "Hope I get to play it" I meant "I hope I own a Wii U by then", since I also want to play Bayonetta 2 and DKC:TF. In addition to that I also hope we see the franchise branch out again, but that apparently won't happen.

I love the franchise and I want it to be popular, so you can stop complaining about port begging, since I never said they should port this one.

Wait, am I being dense? Are those two different characters?

They are different characters. Not sure if the one on the right is the same girl we saw on the trailer though (below).
Btw I think we should expect more than just a single playable character, so maybe the other girl is playable too.

5Ga5Tcc.jpg

chaosaeon

I just finished the first one, overall liked it quite a bit except for some somewhat cheap elements to the combat or enemy placement. Um, I don't want to be a downer but the living characters in this one seem a little overdesigned or something, despite not wearing a lot of clothing, something about them just looks a little strange. Also, is the premise of all the games that a girl follows after a missing friend/relative to a haunted location, with the location and backstory being the major story draw for each game ?

Het_Nkik

I just finished the first one, overall liked it quite a bit except for some somewhat cheap elements to the combat or enemy placement. Um, I don't want to be a downer but the living characters in this one seem a little overdesigned or something, despite not wearing a lot of clothing, something about them just looks a little strange. Also, is the premise of all the games that a girl follows after a missing friend/relative to a haunted location, with the location and backstory being the major story draw for each game ?

I've only played the 4th game in the series but that sums it up perfectly so probably :p

Zenaku

Well, I have a Japanese Wii U now (arrived yesterday) so I'll be importing this with Beyonetta 2 next month. My TV is broken though, so if the game absolutely requires a TV I might be limited to just a few hours of play per day on the TV in the living room (although I don't remember playing for more than 1-2 hours straight on FF4, so it shouldn't be a problem).

chaosaeon

Oh also, did they ever give the option in any of the games to use the normal game control stick layout ? Having the sticks swap whenever you aim took the entire game to half get used to for me, and there were EIGHT different control configs with none of them being move-left stick, and camera-right stick. All controls were forced southpaw. Switching to first person mode and using the left stick to aim and right stick to move is a dangerous thing to force on people. If it's supposed to "add to the tension", so would making the face buttons act like wasd. I mostly got used to it by 3/4 of the way through the first game but if I hadn't been reallly interested in the story and atmosphere and that world I might've just moved onto something else.

Het_Nkik

Oh also, did they ever give the option in any of the games to use the normal game control stick layout ? Having the sticks swap whenever you aim took the entire game to half get used to for me, and there were EIGHT different control configs with none of them being move-left stick, and camera-right stick. All controls were forced southpaw. Switching to first person mode and using the left stick to aim and right stick to move is a dangerous thing to force on people. If it's supposed to "add to the tension", so would making the face buttons act like wasd. I mostly got used to it by 3/4 of the way through the first game but if I hadn't been reallly interested in the story and atmosphere and that world I might've just moved onto something else.

Well, in 4 and the 2 remake you continue moving with the analog stick and you aim with the pointer controls.

I just bought ALL of the games and I'm gonna be streaming them this October, so it'll be interesting to see how I handle the changing control schemes.

Ok but really, how does one get one of these movements rolling? I don't care about names, I'm all for Operation Just Give Me The Damn Game Nintendo personally but what matters is ultimately that Nintendo notices.

synce

God I can't believe this region lock bullshit is AGAIN preventing me from playing a Fatal Frame. Thank you Tecmo for selling out to this clueless company. Here's praying the WiiU somehow manages to get hacked in the next month.

Het_Nkik

You all need to wait at LEAST a few months before starting with the rage. These things aren't always announced for a worldwide release at the same time.

hao chi

Over the past month or so I played through the first three Fatal Frame games for the first time. I had played a decent amount of the first before and had really enjoyed it, but just recently got around to actually playing through them.

I plan on getting Fatal Frame IV later this year, since I need a break from FF, plus Persona 4 Ultimax is coming out in a few days and will consume me. I'm going to be extremely salty at NOA if we don't get this game.

Fatal Frame 2: The Crimson Butterfly on the PS2. Downloadable on the Playstation Store :)

The remake (on the Wii) didn't come out on US Wiis unfortunately but don't let that sway you from playing the excellent PS2 game.

I loved Fatal Frame II, but the game really gives you way too many supplies. That alone killed the tension for the game other than a few select parts (I'll admit the
ghost twins
scared me more than anything in the other two games), and trying to goad some of the enemies into attacking me so I could get a Shutter Chance was pretty annoying and boring.

I'll do a hard mode playthrough sometime, but judging both of them based on my first playthrough (both on normal), I actually felt more fond towards the first game. FFII is still great though; I really love FFII's setting, and the ending was quite surprising for me.

Man, I'm blind. The girl on the right is the same girl we saw at the beginning of the trailer. For some reason I thought she was just the main character dressed differently.

Ch83azI.jpg

81bbnyclqrl._aa1500_2eke4.jpg

Semajer

Man, I'm blind. The girl on the right is the same girl we saw at the beginning of the trailer. For some reason I thought she was just the main character dressed differently.

Same as me. I thought it was the main character after getting stuck in Ghostville.

Votron

is it actually 1080p?
Actually Nevermind..It's not 1080p.... as other nintendo trailers does tend to realease trailers in 1080p even though the game is 720p.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Is there any hope at all?

well, to me:

PRO:
- In PAL we got FF2Wii and Spirit Camera. We were getting (for real, I had direct insider news at that time) also FF4 but that release was stopped at the very last moment
- In the US Spirit camera was released without issues
- Wii U commercial and third party support status is horrible; any additional game could be interesting at least to please the few owners, while back in the days they were really focused on casual gamers
- There are western plans for the IP (movie)

CONS:
- Wii U horrible commercial status could hold KT back in pushing it outside Japan
- Nintendo was not interested in the western (US) version of the latest episodes
- Brand and horror genre are niche commercially

Fady K

Amazing game. Though I'd say the best version available in the U.S. is actually the Xbox version, which has some great extras, improved graphics, and the very cool first person mode.

Yes, the Xbox versions received AMAZING extras! I didn't bother buying them again because I did so much work on the original I didn't have the energy to go through it all again in slightly different modes. I prefer in gens like this one we get the new modes for free if they released on other consoles.

With this and P.T., horror gaming is back babayyyyyyy

Way more than just that my friend :) You've got Until Dawn, potentially Resident Evil revelations 2, Resident Evil ReRemake, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Alone in the Dark: Illumination, The Evil Within, Alien Isolation, Among the Sleep, The Forest, Slender: The Arrival and Doom ^_^ Even more that I forgot.

I loved Fatal Frame II, but the game really gives you way too many supplies. That alone killed the tension for the game other than a few select parts (I'll admit the
ghost twins
scared me more than anything in the other two games), and trying to goad some of the enemies into attacking me so I could get a Shutter Chance was pretty annoying and boring.

I'll do a hard mode playthrough sometime, but judging both of them based on my first playthrough (both on normal), I actually felt more fond towards the first game. FFII is still great though; I really love FFII's setting, and the ending was quite surprising for me.

Totally forgot about that (plenty of supplies). Till this day nothing scared me more than the first fatal frame because it was new and different at the time. As much as I loved 2, 3 and 4 I felt that they are mostly recycled elements from the first game. Still, great series and I am more than happy we are getting more!

I agree with you actually, the setting is what made FF2 the best for (along with some gameplay improvements) but from an experience point of view, the first one was unmatched so far IMO.

Erevador

Yes, the Xbox versions received AMAZING extras! I didn't bother buying them again because I did so much work on the original I didn't have the energy to go through it all again in slightly different modes. I prefer in gens like this one we get the new modes for free if they released on other consoles.
Yes! As was often true that gen, Xbox got the less played, but dramatically superior version.

Way more than just that my friend :) You've got Until Dawn, potentially Resident Evil revelations 2, Resident Evil ReRemake, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Alone in the Dark: Illumination, The Evil Within, Alien Isolation, Among the Sleep, The Forest, Slender: The Arrival and Doom ^_^ Even more that I forgot.
It's truly a renaissance, and it's one that I had begun to think was never going to happen. It's hard to sum up in words just how thrilled I am to see my favorite genre making such an incredible comeback after a whole generation of gaming in which it was entirely absent.

Mithos

You've got Until Dawn, potentially Resident Evil revelations 2, Resident Evil ReRemake, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Alone in the Dark: Illumination, The Evil Within, Alien Isolation, Among the Sleep, The Forest, Slender: The Arrival and Doom ^_^ Even more that I forgot.

Considering that none of these will be on Wii U, I so damn hope Fatal Frame will be out in Europe/US.

Dascu

Switch out Among the Sleep (since it's out and kind of bad), and switch in SOMA, Routine, Pathologic remake, Neverending Nightmares and heck, why not Bloodborne too. There's also that Kodoku game, but honestly I think it looks kind of bad and I don't think it'll turn out alright.

I'm importing a Japanese Wii U next month - not going to lie, this game is a big reason for it. Fortunately I have a friend who can grab one for me (and mark it accordingly for when it's shipped) so I shouldn't be dented by customs charges too badly, if at all.

If I can get my capture device hooked up to the Wii U OK, I'll see if I can get a stream running once the game arrives. I'll post the details here, as and when.

angelicshadow

Neo Member
Ok but really, how does one get one of these movements rolling? I don't care about names, I'm all for Operation Just Give Me The Damn Game Nintendo personally but what matters is ultimately that Nintendo notices.

Keep an eye out on the Beyond the Camera Lens folks on their forums and their Facebook Page.

They usually are very organized about petitions and other such things (or sharing news of others who do start movements) and were really vocal about the fan translation as well. I definitely turn to them for all things Fatal Frame as one of the most proactive fan communities.

Top Bottom