Favorite backgrounds in 2-D Fighters?

Sep 10, 2006
Wow, I missed that KOF '99 stage too, and I have the game for Dreamcast.
Watching all this stages is like remembering my childhood, fighting games were the best thing ever.

The Sakura stage is amazing, I love the everyday life feeling in it.

MYE

Banned
Jul 20, 2009
Holy shit at some of those o__o

Guys, Blazblue Calamity Trigger fo4 9.45€ new or BlazBlue: Continuum Shift for 14.95€?

I'm buying it for the occasional offline fighting matches and pretty 2D art. Dont give a shit about the active comunity or whatever.

Jan 2, 2007
Seventh Ring
cj_iwakura said:

Poetry in motion.

Last Blade was the first game to come to mind. I couldn't think of any specific stages, I just remembered it having awesome backgrounds. Also SF3: 2nd Impact had some amazing backgrounds. I don't know why they didn't include them in Third Strike.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Jul 26, 2004
Long Island, NY
The SFA2 stage that takes place in a bathroom... can't find any good pics online.

Also was looking through the SNK wikia, lots of fantastic sprite-art backgrounds. I like this one because, for some reason, random Japanese games would have "NEW JACK" in their grafitti (ESP Ra.De. has this too) :p

Also these:

BAW

Aug 6, 2009
Athens, Greece
Gotta love beat em ups. It's like the characters said, "We will travel far and wide, and visit the most breathtaking and iconic vistas of our planet. And then beat the shit out of each other."

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Mar 26, 2007
California
www.raging-spaniard.com
rekameohs said:
If Brawl counts, I'd say some stuff there is incredible.
They would, but personally I dont want anything with magical floating platforms.

Thank you so much for all these responses! Some really fantastic pieces in here, I cant wait to completely butcher them :p

And yeah, HD Remix had horrible backgrounds. I bitched at them then and I was right, haha.

Apr 21, 2010
Alextended said:
Woah, that looks like some bad fan art... What happened to you, Ryu?!
A brief history lesson:

1. Capcom hires a company to do all the in-between animation cells for the game.
2. Sprites are pretty dang awesome, tons of shading, very detailed.
3. The animation company cannot keep up with the detail, and is very inconsistant.
4. Capcom/Udon start lowering the ammount of detail in hopes of getting it done faster.
5. Animation company still sucks.
6. Capcom fires them, then has to re-do all the animation over again, with a new company.
8. They have the reduce all the detail/shading so they can get it done relatively on-time.

We're stuck with what we have today.

Jun 9, 2004
AAK said:
Really liked this one in blazblue:

The barking dog just made it for me
Hype Dog!

Alextended said:
Woah, that looks like some bad fan art... What happened to you, Ryu?!
Udon is bad fan art.

ProtoCents said:
To be fair, we didn't know that HD Remix would look like complete ass.
I told you so.

Keep that in mind the next time you clowns try shouting me down.

Jun 9, 2004
Raging Spaniard said:
Yeah if TTOB and I agree on something its mathematically impossible for the conglomerate to be wrong.
lol

I have to say these stages make me miss that TrueD swagger even more. Except for the Western developed toilet fare.
Mortal Kombat will never count, good on you Australia for putting that trash in its place.

Seeing stages I haven't seen before compels me to seek out these games.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Mar 26, 2007
California
www.raging-spaniard.com
The Take Out Bandit said:
lol

I have to say these stages make me miss that TrueD swagger even more. Except for the Western developed toilet fare.
Mortal Kombat will never count, good on you Australia for putting that trash in its place.

Seeing stages I haven't seen before compels me to seek out these games.
I need you to gimme backgrounds, not spread your sensationalist propaganda >:|