• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Seaside Towns?

zeemumu

Twilight Town-Kingdom Hearts 2

72-VisualBoyAdvance_2007-09-22_19-03-17-93.jpg

Mr-Joker

Banned
Mine would be;

Slateport City and Mossdeep City from Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, such a beautiful city with Mossdeep City having the space centre. Can't wait to see how the remake will bring them to life in 3D.

Sunyshore City from Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, the music and the solar panel were really the highlight of the city.

Adabaat from Sonic Unleashed, the location was so beautiful and jungle joyride was a blast to run through.

sublimit

Banned
Port Prospect and Peregrin Quay from DQ8 are also two of my favorites.

I loved going up the stairs in the pharos in PP as well as looking at the view from the Inn's rooftop in PQ.
khal_10.png

ss-066.jpg

pq_armour.png

Damn it's too hard to find good DQVIII screenshots. :[

ubercheez

Nier's Seaside immediately came to mind for me. Great style and music. Nier didn't have many locations, but each one of them was beautifully designed.

Chrono Cross is an easy choice as well, especially since every single town in it is a seaside town. Hard to pick a favorite, but I'd probably give it to Arni.

How about Puerto Pollo from Curse of Monkey Island?

Also, while I definitely prefer the sunny, cheerful style, I can't pass up a mention of Kurast Docks from Diablo 2, considering how much time I spent there!

Monkey Island 1. Great choice

Thank you :) It didn't stand out to me right away~

Also, while I definitely prefer the sunny, cheerful style, I can't pass up a mention of Kurast Docks from Diablo 2, considering how much time I spent there!

Aw MAN, that really brings me back. I spent countless hours on D2 like many others but one of the things I loved most was the locales and the MUSIC!!! Kurast was another classic area.

Never played LoM (or any Mana game) but that screen looks very charming.Nice music too.

I highly recommend it even just for the art, music, and various storylines that are just awesome! The game is somewhat abstract at the meta level (considering you're essentially rebuilding the world), but it's an absolute blast and I made sure to unlock/collect EVERYTHING in it. I never understood the hate it got, either.

EverQuest had a lot of cool small to medium-sized cities, each with a distinctive character. Erudin was an interesting combination of ivory tower magician town and seafaring community (the Deepwater Knights, the Vasty Deep Inn).

erudin_manualbw_excellio.jpg

NJDEN

Doesn't really count since Ahto City is more like a giant ship that floats across the surface of Mannan, but its a city on the sea... : 3

Ahto_City.png

Kotor I

DOWN

Banned
BioShock - Rapture
Bioshock_rapture.jpg

Red Dead Redemption - Blackwater
rdr_hecleansupwell05.jpg

Half Life 2 - Highway 17
20090109030925!Highway_17_BG.jpg

Assassin's Creed - Acre
Assasins-Creed.jpg

sublimit

Banned
I highly recommend it even just for the art, music, and various storylines that are just awesome! The game is somewhat abstract at the meta level (considering you're essentially rebuilding the world), but it's an absolute blast and I made sure to unlock/collect EVERYTHING in it. I never understood the hate it got, either.

I had feeling this game had never been released in Europe so i just checked and yeah i was right.Thanks SE.

One day i'll just buy an American PSN card and i will buy every classic Playstation game that was never released in Europe (or in the EU PS store).

ubercheez

Aw MAN, that really brings me back. I spent countless hours on D2 like many others but one of the things I loved most was the locales and the MUSIC!!! Kurast was another classic area.

Maybe I should have included a trigger warning for all of us former D2 addicts... ;)

I had feeling this game had never been released in Europe so i just checked and yeah i was right.Thanks SE.

One day i'll just buy an American PSN card and i will buy every classic Playstation game that was never released in Europe (or in the EU PS store).

Damn really??? It's one of my most cherished RPGs growing up. That's a real bummer :( It's worth playing man!

reminder

QEiJSf4.jpg

gjdw837.jpg

It just looks so nice.... And I loved that everyone runs around in swimsuits, even your party!

Edit: And basically every island in The Wind Waker, especially Windfall!

You're my man! I was going to post exactly the same games. Maybe together with Costa del Sol from FF VII. But Castaway cove was so good. I wish it was a little bigger, though. The same counts for the towns in Wind Waker. But i still love them.

More of a location than a town, but Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror's tropical setting grew on me the more I played. It was such a departure from the previous game.

jIZPeJffDhBZi.jpg

Treasure Trove Cove always brings back good memories for me

115 posts? You disappoint me GAF.

As for me, Lion's Arch is (was :( ) my favorite city in an MMO period but it's surprisingly hard to get decent screenshots:

- Underwater areas to explore (including a sewer system with secrets): check
- Secret puzzles to complete, but only if you can make it in alive: check
- An enormous sense of scale to everything: check
- Interesting, appropriately themed architecture: check
- High places to dive from: check
- Shops, traders, and crafting: check
- Portals to every other major city in the game: check

Retro

As for me, Lion's Arch is (was :( ) my favorite city in an MMO period but it's surprisingly hard to get decent screenshots:

Came here to post this... and some of Miktar's awesome panoramas;

For those who haven't played Guild Wars 2, Lion's Arch was a thriving port that was destroyed by a tsunami 100 years or so before the game begins. The city was rebuilt from the wrecked ships that remained afloat, while the old city is at the bottom of the harbor.

Sadly, screenshots are all that remain; after the first Season of the Living Story (a year-long story arc, with a new 'episode' of content every two weeks), a villain invaded the city, burned it to the ground and then drilled into the harbor to tap a magical ley line, blowing what was left of the city to ash. All that's left are crumbled towers, the twisted wreckage of her drill and a lot of graves.

sublimit

Banned
It's more of a village than a town (and barely even that) but l loved Phon Coast from FFXII.The sea always looked so clear in that game it made me wish i could dive in. ^-^There was also another village/oasis in XII near a desert (where you could use a boat to take you to the next shore) but i don't remember its name.Really loved that place as well.
Phon Coast

Top Bottom