• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes March 10th

Yoda

If MS greatly cared about this month's NPD, they should have held off the news of the Titanfall bundle until Friday (last day of February).

I'm pretty sure many people who would have gotten an Xbox One last week held off due to the news. March should definitely be interesting as other people have already said in this thread.

I think MS's only concern is to reverse the trend in the states + UK. I think TF will at the bare minimum reverse it in the U.S. and I'm sure the price-cut in the UK will also help. But chasing a good round of PR would be a shortsighted strategy. Now if TF can't reverse the hardware adoption trend at all (at least put them above Sony on their home turf) I think a price cut would be in order.

Bgamer90

Banned
I think MS's only concern is to reverse the trend in the states + UK. I think TF will at the bare minimum reverse it in the U.S. and I'm sure the price-cut in the UK will also help. But chasing a good round of PR would be a shortsighted strategy. Now if TF can't reverse the hardware adoption trend at all (at least put them above Sony on their home turf) I think a price cut would be in order.

No, I definitely agree. I don't think MS cares that much about overall console sales as much as getting people sucked into their online services/ecosystem. I mean, at least I hope so... I hope they realized that they definitely weren't going to be number one in sales with the original DRM policies and that's on top of releasing at the same time as the PS4 in less territories.

But anyway, I think that's part of the reason why they are greatly pushing Titanfall so much and even changing the features of the Xbox One before the game comes out since outside of Titanfall being a very fun game, the game also requires Xbox Live Gold. The game is a good way to get people into the service.

I don't know how far behind the Xbox One sales are in comparison to the PS4 when it comes to the UK, but I do know that the Xbox One isn't that far behind the PS4 in the US in overall sales. The Titanfall bundle should definitely help them next month.

samar11

No, I definitely agree. I don't think MS cares that much about overall console sales as much as getting people sucked into their online services/ecosystem. I mean, at least I hope so... I hope they realized that they definitely weren't going to be number one in sales with the original DRM policies and that's on top of releasing at the same time as the PS4 in less territories.

But anyway, I think that's part of the reason why they are greatly pushing Titanfall so much and even changing the features of the Xbox One before the game comes out since outside of Titanfall being a very fun game, the game also requires Xbox Live Gold. The game is a good way to get people into the service.

I don't know how far behind the Xbox One sales are in comparison to the PS4 when it comes to the UK, but I do know that the Xbox One isn't that far behind the PS4 in the US in overall sales. The Titanfall bundle should definitely help them next month.

They are behind PS4 by a few hundred thousand I would imagine. Will they catch up to PS4 and out sell them?Not in the US and definitely not WW, the PS is a bigger brand then Xbox-One. They managed to outsell the 360 after launching a year late, bigger price tag, and all the dramas that followed afterwards.(Hacking of PSN)

Wartari

Banned
Wartari] [PS4] 360K
[3DS] 155K
[PS3] 75K
[360] 68K
[WIU] 72K
[XB1] 40K[/Q
[

I am predicting 40k because the Xbox One sold 143k last month and this month they announced a titan fall bundle also overall sales should be less for the Xbox One this month due to no note worthy releases.

Mrbob

Have we had any retail checks for PS4? Seems like supply was super limited this month waiting on boat shipments. I have no idea what Sony shipped but I wouldn't be surprised if it was only 150k. Amazon never got restocked the whole month after selling out and best buy shipments seemed limited.

Averon

Have we had any retail checks for PS4? Seems like supply was super limited this month waiting on boat shipments. I have no idea what Sony shipped but I wouldn't be surprised if it was only 150k. Amazon never got restocked the whole month after selling out and best buy shipments seemed limited.

The supply must have been bad this month. I've finally decided to pull the trigger and buy a PS4, but I've been waiting for the past couple weeks for PS4s to appear on Amazon, Newegg, or even Best Buy. No luck

Skeff

PS4: 225K
XB1: 122K
3DS: 110K
360: 62K
PS3: 60K
Wii U: 55K

Small boost over January IMO. Don't think Sony have managed to ship many more consoles in February due to Japan Launch, but shouldn't be quite as constrained thanks to the huge amount they air freighted in for Dec. Also PvZ might have some Titanfall buyers Jumping in early hence the slightly larger boost to XB1.

ascii42

So people think PS4 is going to sell Xbox one 2-1 again this month? Isn't titan fall launching soon? I would think the hype would increase Xbox one sells a bit and the PS4 is still hard to find.
I'm operating on the assumption the most people waiting for Titanfall either got the system at launch or will pick up the system when Titanfall comes out.

[PS4] 200K
[XB1] 170K
[3DS] 120K
[PS3] 70K
[360] 75K
[WIU] 65K

I'm surprised people are putting PS4 as 300K+. Its still extremely constrained by supply.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
[360] 55k
[3DS] 100k
[PS3] 60k
[PS4] 275k
[WIU] 65k
[XB1] 160k

and bonus guess:
[Vita] 20k

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Anecdotal, but one GAF person said his Best Buy shipment for PS4 for all stores at the distribution center, which is typically in the hundreds, was four. Four!

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if PS4 went lower in Feb.

kswiston

I don't see much of an uptick for anything this month.

[360] 55K
[3DS] 100K
[PS3] 53K
[PS4] 245K
[WIU] 45K
[XB1] 140K

EDIT: Not that my predictions are very good. Did pretty poorly last month!

Chaostar

[PS4] 210K
[XB1] 160K
[3DS] 100K
[PS3] 55K
[360] 65K
[WIU] 40K

I think that TitanfaIl bundle will at least keep MS from being outsold 2:1 this time. Apart from that, total guesses.

I think we're going to see a 15K Wii U bump from Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and small gains all the way around.

I see a decrease in PS4s due to February being a non-priority month for Sony.

In proper counting order:

[360] 60K
[3DS] 105K
[PS3] 57K
[PS4] 185K
[WIU] 66K
[XB1] 135K

BlackJace

It outsold the 360 and was close to the PS3 last month. With the release of Tropical Freeze in February, I'd say it's very possible.

I see, thanks.

Anyways, here I go:

[360] 64K
[3DS] 105K
[PS3] 60K
[PS4] 190K
[WIU] 70K
[XB1] 146K

Hammer24

Banned
[PS4] 192K
[XB1] 182K
[3DS] 102K
[PS3] 72K
[360] 82K
[WIU] 62K

I expect the PS4 heavily supply constrained, especially due to Japan launch. I expect a small uptick for XB1 and 360 in the buildup for Titanfall.

beast786

[PS4] 158K
[XB1] 220K
[3DS] 90K
[PS3] 60K
[360] 80K
[WIU] 50K

Japan launch, pal charts with xb1 and lack of available on amazon clearly shows XB1 will take advantage of ps4 stock issues. plus now we have seen Titan fall

Top Bottom