• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February WrassleGAF |BO-T| And Bo-ing is Half the Battle

jred2k

I like that Khali being so big means any power moves against him make his opponent look like the fuckin man. Case in point, The Neutralizer.

s6inr.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What are the rules for pinning 3ManBand

Do you have to pin all at once, all separately, or does one count for all of them?

Ozone

As I said last thread, I think the ideal RAW Chamber would be a War Games-style match of Cena, Sheamus, and Ryback vs. The Shield. One member of each team starts the match, then with the random chambers opening it could play on The Shield's numbers game mentality of their attacks, either in their favor or against it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Have you guys seen this?

Recent video interview where Bret Hart sort of shits on HHH.

BTW, if you replace the word "Punk" with "Kane", this interview makes a lot more sense, lol. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xSNJX1aBDSw#!

EDIT: While I agree with him, and he brings up some good points, comparing HHH/Taker who are old to a guy in his prime just isn't fair.

It's nothing that surprising. That's always been the case with Triple H. It's why he was never on Rock's level and definitely never on Austin's level despite being booked with them constantly. He's a guy who's got a decent look and has a lot of love for the business. Like, if you ever follow Triple H's interviews, he's probably the biggest old school wrestling mark out there. But he has nothing that makes him truly unique. He's Flair without the iconic looks and chops. He's over because he's been booked with some of the best/most popular of all time(Austin, Flair, Michaels, Hogan, etc) and he's booked with guys who are sent out to make people look good (Owen, X-Pac and Kane)

I never hold it out against Hunter because he seems like a mostly good guy, especially compared to the people he hangs around. But I remember when Owen came back and he had one match with HBK and then they made him feud with HHH to make Hunter look good despite the fact that Owen was far more over than Hunter, and a Michaels/Owen feud made itself(not to mention those two had some of the best matches of that era).

It's why I'm glad Hunter's backstage now. I think he's good for that company just not as a talent. Same thing with Kevin Nash.

I can think of major matches for a ton of 'big names', but I can't for Hunter

Bret: HBK, Owen, Diesel(srsly)
HBK: Bret, Razor
Undertaker: HBK, Bret, Flair, Angle
Angle: Benoit, Undertaker
Flair: Steamboat, Sting

Can't think of one for HHH. Honestly, I've always felt the same way about Sting as HHH though. But at least Sting was forced into angles BECAUSE he was popular not to make him popular.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Have you guys seen this?

Recent video interview where Bret Hart sort of shits on HHH.

BTW, if you replace the word "Punk" with "Kane", this interview makes a lot more sense, lol. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xSNJX1aBDSw#!

EDIT: While I agree with him, and he brings up some good points, comparing HHH/Taker who are old to a guy in his prime just isn't fair.

Poor HHH. He tried so hard to get up their with Rock and Austin as one of the all-time greats of that era, but to no avail.

I think the HHH/Taker stuff is silly, too. HHH was forced to do the brawler match because of the fact he was a fat ass and Taker was in a state.

that's a good one

i like this one too:

66620-20autoplay_gif2u2k9i.gif

haha

That is damn good. I did find the one I was talking about too. Apparently at some point I saved it to my computer.

Also, I may have asked this before but, does anyone know if any heels have won the either main title at a WM? I know some heels have retained (HHH...twice, Orton, and Jericho are the only ones I believe), but I can't think of any that won the belt.

I think that Kofi's sword collection is quite impressive.

Abyss is awfully nice to his brother (who is much more charismatic than he is.)

Kaval looks quite dapper in a suit.

It's pretty amazing Rosa keeps her job for so long despite being completely useless.

Oh! That reminds me:

I find it fascinating that JTG has been employed by the WWE for 05 Years, 263 Days, 04 Hours, 59 minutes and 45 seconds (at the time this was posted.)

SoulPlaya

more money than God
It's nothing that surprising. That's always been the case with Triple H. It's why he was never on Rock's level and definitely never on Austin's level despite being booked with them constantly. He's a guy who's got a decent look and has a lot of love for the business. Like, if you ever follow Triple H's interviews, he's probably the biggest old school wrestling mark out there. But he has nothing that makes him truly unique. He's Flair without the iconic looks and chops. He's over because he's been booked with some of the best/most popular of all time(Austin, Flair, Michaels, Hogan, etc) and he's booked with guys who are sent out to make people look good (Owen and Kane)

I never hold it out against Hunter because he seems like a mostly good guy, especially compared to the people he hangs around. But I remember when Owen came back and he had one match with HBK and then they made him feud with HHH to make Hunter look good despite the fact that Owen was far more over than Hunter, and a Michaels/Owen feud made itself(not to mention those two had some of the best matches of that era).

It's why I'm glad Hunter's backstage now. I think he's good for that company just not as a talent. Same thing with Kevin Nash.
The one thing that always got me with him is that he's such a mark for his own stuff. He'll never be on Rock or Austin (or even HBK) level as seen by the mainstream public, and it pisses him off. He tries to cover it up with a multitude of world title runs and meaningless victories and WM main events. It just doesn't matter, though. He's a good wrestler who thought he could make himself into a great one.

No one cares how many times Austin or Rock won a match or became world champion. The general public doesn't care, but those guys will always be remembered, and their legacies will last with or without the WWE machine to constantly remind you about them. Me and my friends look up Austin/Rock/HBK promos and matches all the time. We never do that with HHH. Without his marriage to Stephanie, he would be what Kane is now. A few time world champion, an occasional main eventer, but that's it. Luckily for him, he'll own the WWE machine for the rest of his life, but still it just won't make a difference.

I sort of feel bad for him, because I know he cares so much, and he wants to be on those guys' level, but he's just not good enough.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
BTW, Bret seems a bit obsessed with HBK. He calls HHH Shawn at one point, and he calls "John Cena", "Shawn Cena" accidentally.

I wouldn't be surprised if he calls his wife, "Shawn" or some of his friends.

Also, I may have asked this before but, does anyone know if any heels have won the either main title at a WM? I know some heels have retained (HHH...twice, Orton, and Jericho are the only ones I believe), but I can't think of any that won the belt.

All I can think of was when Yokozuna pinned Bret Hart for the WWF Championship at WrestleMania IX. Would that count?

The one thing that always got me with him is that he's such a mark for his own stuff. He'll never be on Rock or Austin (or even HBK) level as seen by the mainstream public, and it pisses him off. He tries to cover it up with a multitude of world title runs and meaningless victories and WM main events. It just doesn't matter, though. He's a good wrestler who thought he could make himself into a great one.

No one cares how many times Austin or Rock won a match or became world champion. The general public doesn't care, but those guys will always be remembered, and their legacies will last with or without the WWE machine to constantly remind you about them. Me and my friends look up Austin/Rock/HBK promos and matches all the time. We never do that with HHH. Without his marriage to Stephanie, he would be what Kane is now. A few time world champion, an occasional main eventer, but that's it. Luckily for him, he'll own the WWE machine for the rest of his life, but still it just won't make a difference.

I sort of feel bad for him, because I know he cares so much, and he wants to be on those guys' level, but he's just not good enough.

I know you have to take all dirtsheet stuff with a pinch of salt, but this is the reason I think he always seemed to have issues with the wrestlers who were naturally over. I've read stuff about him having issues with RVD, Jericho, Foley, and Punk, all people who just naturally had that ability to get the crowd behind them

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I know you have to take all dirtsheet stuff with a pinch of salt, but this is the reason I think he always seemed to have issues with the wrestlers who were naturally over. I've read stuff about him having issues with RVD, Jericho, Foley, and Punk, all people who just naturally had that ability to get the crowd behind them
Yeah, and it'll just happen again with Lesnar. He'll beat Lesnar at WM, but no one will actually think he's better than Lesnar.

He wants that mainstream acceptance that those guys get, but it just doesn't happen.

All I can think of was when Yokozuna pinned Bret Hart for the WWF Championship at WrestleMania IX. Would that count?

I would say it counts if it wasn't for the fact that Hogan comes out and beats him immediately. WM IX has to be the stupidest fucking WM in history. Booking back then was just so weird.

gurudyne

Think it's possible he might wind up closer to what he when he finally takes over, i.e. something akin to Vinnie Mac, except with a physical legacy? I can almost see it, but it would require him throwing himself into a persona like he's never done before.

Happy that Impact is going on the road, and Chicago is a great wrestling city to start with. This and the limited PPV's are good ideas. My question is how are they going to afford to do both? Cutting revenue while substantialy raising overhead looks to be a disaster. I guess they could save money by firing Hogan, that would be a good start.

Omega

Banned

yeah what he fails to realize is those guys aren't loved because of their w/l, but rather the actual matches they were in and their persona

he will always be that guy that won every match with a sledgehammer and who wasted probably 1000 gallons of water to spit out a sip before every match

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
He's so full of himself with that long ass entrance.

Hogan can have a long ass entrance because he's Hulk Hogan, and people cared about him for some reason in the 90s
Undertaker can do it because it's part of his slow/brooding gimmick.

Austin, probably the 2nd most popular wrestler of all time, had one of the shortest entrances. Come out, Raises arms shake head. Done. Even Rock's wasn't that long.

And when he had Motorhead play his theme even though he was the heel, and it was Undertaker's home state.

Triple H/Bo Dallas fued will wipe the floor with Austin/Mcmahon

This needs to happen...like yesterday.

You know what's funny is that I can't even tell who's being serious anymore about this Bo Dallas shit. I think we're all slowly convincing ourselves that this guy will be worth watching in the most awful kind of way. Seriously I would pay to see a HHH/Bo Dallas fued just because of how fucktastically shitty it will be.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This needs to happen...like yesterday.

You know what's funny is that I can't even tell who's being serious anymore about this Bo Dallas shit. I think we're all slowly convincing ourselves that this guy will be worth watching in the most awful kind of way. Seriously I would pay to see a HHH/Bo Dallas fued just because of how fucktastically shitty it will be.

Beef already did that with Ryback.

I think Ryback's mostly ok

RkOwnage

I've always sensed some sort of animosity between Triple H and Mick Foley. Maybe because Triple H and Mick Foley hit the main event scene around the same time, and Triple H has animosity there for Foley? I don't know why, I think in Foley's third book he mentions some bad feelings somewhere between himself and Trips, but does anyone have any insight to this? Or am I completely off base?

btw, I knew Bret never thought much of Triple H, when he came back in 2010, he made peace with Shawn, but Triple H was part of it too, and they never addressed that, sure Shawn was the biggest part of it, but Trips was involved.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've always sensed some sort of animosity between Triple H and Mick Foley. Maybe because Triple H and Mick Foley hit the main event scene around the same time, and Triple H has animosity there for Foley? I don't know why, I think in Foley's third book he mentions some bad feelings somewhere between himself and Trips, but does anyone have any insight to this? Or am I completely off base?

btw, I knew Bret never thought much of Triple H, when he came back in 2010, he made peace with Shawn, but Triple H was part of it too, and they never addressed that, sure Shawn was the biggest part of it, but Trips was involved.

Many reasons. One being that Foley made Orton more of a star than Hunter ever did.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Guys, I just bought a fry daddy, and it's awesome because it doesn't require cleaning dishes, and it's way better than the oven and its quicker.

But I've got like ... 5 minutes to pull the chicken out or its fried. And sometimes I burn myself dropping the food in.

WRESTLING

RBH

From the Observer:

Jericho signed a short-term contract with the company. The plan was for him to turn heel and work with Ryback at WrestleMania, with the idea of getting Ryback back to where he was. Jericho felt back in October for Hell in a Cell that it was the right time for Ryback to take the title. However, that would have gotten in the way of the long-term plan. Jericho will be working all Raws between now and WrestleMania except 2/25 and 3/4, when he’ll be on a rock tour of Australia with Fozzy, on a tour headlined by Metallica. He will be working some house show dates until that time, and working a full house show schedule from his return until WrestleMania.

Even though it was announced months ago that Undertaker is returning for Mania, the word this week is it may not happen. According to those in the loop, he’s uncertain about the show, which is a big deal because he was scheduled to be Punk’s opponent in what would have been the No. 2 match on the show. Not sure of a back-up plan given it’s right now not definite either way. The hold up is physical. He’s been hurting badly for years, but doesn’t complain and tries to keep his injuries as quiet as possible. I know back in 1997 I can recall guys who worked with him telling me how hurt he was and even then they figured he only had a bout a year left, and even though it’s been several years since he’s really worked any kind of a schedule, he’s still around. I think part of the issue is that the last few years he’s set a standard going out there and having a Match of the Year every time out. He could always come back for the pay day and fake his way through it, but wants to be able to give a WrestleMania performance and if he is done, last year is the kind of performance he could go out with. I always assume on the side that when push comes to shove he will do it until he officially pulls out.

RkOwnage

That's a bummer about Taker, I can definitely see Punk being put into a triple threat with Rock and Cena if Taker isn't able to make the show. I'd rather see Punk vs. Taker, because I know a triple threat match would make him the guy being pinned, unfortunately. I can definitely respect Taker for coming back and putting on a great match, but if the guy can't go, then call it quits, he's had a CAREER. So, nothing left to lose, other than risking injuring yourself further.

Omega

Banned
How is Jericho supposed to put over Ryback?

A legend coming back as a heel won't work. They'll always get cheered no matter what and did they not hear the pop he got at RR?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How is Jericho supposed to put over Ryback?

A legend coming back as a heel won't work. They'll always get cheered no matter what and did they not hear the pop he got at RR?

It's not like Jericho's Rock or Hogan or something. The RR popped for him because it's the RR. Jericho could easily come out and cut serious jbl's promos.

Also I think WWE is screwing the pooch on Ryback and Cesaro. I'm into the idea of them being the off/on rivals as dominant forces, but it's hard to take serious when they can't give Cesaro a win over Ryback. I remember when Batista and Kane were like 'rivals' when Batista was in Evolution and even before that in OVW. They didn't work huge feud programs, but they would always get into it with each other if they were in the same ring.

antonz

Jesus Christ if Jericho has been pushing Ryback getting the title as early as last October keep him the fuck out of wrestling.

Top Bottom