• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fewer Americans "extremely proud" to be an American. Lowest in poll history.

This Fourth of July marks a low point in U.S. patriotism. For the first time in Gallup's 18-year history asking U.S. adults how proud they are to be Americans, fewer than a majority say they are "extremely proud." Currently, 47% describe themselves this way, down from 51% in 2017 and well below the peak of 70% in 2003.

x6BJ5AP.png

While the 47% who are extremely proud to be Americans is a new low, the vast majority of Americans do express some level of pride, including 25% who say they are "very proud" and 16% who are "moderately proud." That leaves one in 10 who are "only a little" (7%) or "not at all" proud (3%).
The combined 72% who are extremely or very proud to be Americans is also the lowest in Gallup's trend.

As has typically been the case, Republicans are more inclined to say they are extremely proud to be Americans than are Democrats and independents. Seventy-four percent of Republicans are extremely proud, which is numerically the highest over the last five years.

eJ00rBv.png

With the large decline among Democrats, the Republican-Democratic gap in extreme pride has grown from 15 percentage points in 2013 to 42 points today.

4x1F5uB.png

Young adults, college graduates, nonwhites and women -- all Democratic-leaning groups -- are below the national average in terms of being extremely proud to be Americans. Meanwhile, older adults, those without a college degree, whites and men -- who are more Republican-leaning -- are above the average.

OkwDvId.png

Source: https://news.gallup.com/poll/236420/record-low-extremely-proud-americans.aspx

---------------

Saw this on The Phil Defranco show today and thought it was interesting.

Where do you fall GAF?

Also, can we keep the ethnostate talk to a minimum?

TrainedRage

Banned
What a horrible click bait poll. Are you "EXTREMELY proud to be an American"? I'm absolutely proud to be an American. Maybe thats what they mean? Is less than 2,000 people a usual pool size to get these numbers from?

People that dont feel any pride in being an American, especially on the 4th are people who will never be happy or proud about anything in their lives. I will be eating hot dogs, shooting guns and fireworks while watching some type of Motorsport and drinking beer. :cool:(y)

Rudelord

I'm quite proud of being an American.
That pride has little to do with whoever is in federal control, as my opinion on federal government is usually low regardless of who is in office.
This poll is a bit silly though.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
Look at that spike during the Iraq war. It’s as though an existential threat galvanizes a society internally, while the lack of an existential threat turns the focus inward. Maybe that’s what Orwell meant by “war is peace”.

Look at that spike during the Iraq war. It’s as though an existential threat galvanizes a society internally, while the lack of an existential threat turns the focus inward. Maybe that’s what Orwell meant by “war is peace”.

And then we found out where Al Queda and Bin Laden were not in Iraq, nor did we find those WMDs....

Last edited:

American

Banned
What a horrible click bait poll. Are you "EXTREMELY proud to be an American"? I'm absolutely proud to be an American. Maybe thats what they mean? Is less than 2,000 people a usual pool size to get these numbers from?

People that dont feel any pride in being an American, especially on the 4th are people who will never be happy or proud about anything in their lives. I will be eating hot dogs, shooting guns and fireworks while watching some type of Motorsport and drinking beer. :cool:(y)

What makes you proud to be an American though?

Despite my username, I'm not actually from America. It's just a username, lol. I'm from Europe and generally speaking, people within my age group are very indifferent to their nationality.

Always seemed to be pretty stupid to me to say your proud to be American, Canadian, Mexican, French, Spanish, British, etc, etc... After all, you can't choose where you were born. Be proud of getting a degree, or getting that job you always wanted, or something you strived hard to achieve in life.

Being proud to be born in a country isn't an achievement. May as well say 'I'm proud to be born on Planet Earth'.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

You're wrong I don't feel proud of being American. It's just the soil where I was born. Yet, I'm proud of other things such as family, accomplishments etc.

Always seemed to be pretty stupid to me to say your proud to be American, Canadian, Mexican, French, Spanish, British, etc, etc... After all, you can't choose where you were born. Be proud of getting a degree, or getting that job you always wanted, or something you strived hard to achieve in life.

Being proud to be born in a country isn't an achievement. May as well say 'I'm proud to be born on Planet Earth'.

this is so weird that people think like this. if representation is something people really want then there is nothing wrong with being proud of your culture or where you are from. things that set you apart and make you different are things that should be embraced cause if not everyone would be boring. and there is a difference when certain aspects get toxic

Atrus

Gold Member
I wonder what that mysterious drop off in non-white percentages from the mid-40's in 2016 to low 30's in 2018 could be related to.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
It's truly shameful what America has become imo. But I am optimistic and know this will be another learning lesson for America :)

American

Banned
I wonder what that mysterious drop off in non-white percentages from the mid-40's in 2016 to low 30's in 2018 could be related to.

Could it be because someone is doing a spectacularly bad job of making America great again? :unsure:

TrainedRage

Banned

Despite my username, I'm not actually from America. It's just a username, lol. I'm from Europe and generally speaking, people within my age group are very indifferent to their nationality.

Yeah its not like people are born black and say they are proud, oh wait. The fact is that I am blessed, privileged and proud that I live and participate in American life. You cant choose where you were born, right. But you can move or be proud of where you are, nothing wrong with that.

I'm super proud of what American culture has accomplished in just around 200 years, its quite amazing actually.

American

Banned
this is so weird that people think like this. if representation is something people really want then there is nothing wrong with being proud of your culture or where you are from. things that set you apart and make you different are things that should be embraced cause if not everyone would be boring. and there is a difference when certain aspects get toxic

To me, it's just my country is just a place I am born and nothing more. I certainly appreciate other cultures and identities, but unless I have somehow contributed to the success and development of that culture, I feel I would just be living off the glories of other people.

That's what I am trying to say. I'm proud of my own achievements and what I have done and what I can contribute. Unless someone is a direct family member or a close friend (who I can be happy for), I'm not gonna be proud of the success of anonymous people and bask in the glory of their achievements. I can admire them, sure, but that's it.

American

Banned
Yeah its not like people are born black and say they are proud, oh wait.

Why you bringing race into it? :unsure: I didn't. Race and nationality are 2 very separate things.

But that's cool, you have your reasons, same reasons other people have. Something I will never understand, but I'm sure others don't understand the point of view of folks like me.

TrainedRage

Banned
Why you bringing race into it? :unsure: I didn't. Race and nationality are 2 very separate things.

But that's cool, you have your reasons, same reasons other people have. Something I will never understand, but I'm sure others don't understand the point of view of folks like me.
Race is something you"were just born as" yet is an example of how you can still be proud about it. That's all.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I love my country and I want to see it do better. I used to be "proud" to be born in America and that I could participate in making the country even greater than it was, helping improve lives all around the world with my countries reach and influence. As I grew older, my view became more pessimistic and I honestly can't say I am proud to be an "American" these days.

I am left-leaning/liberal, however it isn't really the 'right' that is making me grow more despondent about my countries future (though they are definitely a factor, just a smaller part). It is the far-left. The loud, obnoxious groups that think it is okay to attack someone because they wear a red hat. The groups that try to promote "inclusivity", but will turn on anyone who doesn't agree with their very specific mindsets and act as children, trying to play some grand game of "oppression olympics". Seeing these children play in the streets, attacking someone for different views - they are no better than the people they claim are ruining the country.

I have lived in a predominantly Trump-supporting/red state and the people are generally kind, caring, and are willing to help regardless of race, sex, or gender. I disagree with many of their political views, but I can still work with them and understand them. I am friends with many of them, yet I see people asking for them to be killed, beaten, that they are all racists/sexists. This vitriolic attitude from the far-left has engulfed almost all media and is only gathering more hatred and vile.

This petty attitude, these children are making me more embarrassed to be an American each and everyday.

Last edited:

It's Jeff

Banned
This Fourth of July marks a low point in U.S. patriotism. For the first time in Gallup's 18-year history asking U.S. adults how proud they are to be Americans, fewer than a majority say they are "extremely proud." Currently, 47% describe themselves this way, down from 51% in 2017 and well below the peak of 70% in 2003.

x6BJ5AP.png

While the 47% who are extremely proud to be Americans is a new low, the vast majority of Americans do express some level of pride, including 25% who say they are "very proud" and 16% who are "moderately proud." That leaves one in 10 who are "only a little" (7%) or "not at all" proud (3%).
The combined 72% who are extremely or very proud to be Americans is also the lowest in Gallup's trend.

As has typically been the case, Republicans are more inclined to say they are extremely proud to be Americans than are Democrats and independents. Seventy-four percent of Republicans are extremely proud, which is numerically the highest over the last five years.

eJ00rBv.png

With the large decline among Democrats, the Republican-Democratic gap in extreme pride has grown from 15 percentage points in 2013 to 42 points today.

4x1F5uB.png

Young adults, college graduates, nonwhites and women -- all Democratic-leaning groups -- are below the national average in terms of being extremely proud to be Americans. Meanwhile, older adults, those without a college degree, whites and men -- who are more Republican-leaning -- are above the average.

OkwDvId.png

Source: https://news.gallup.com/poll/236420/record-low-extremely-proud-americans.aspx

---------------

Saw this on The Phil Defranco show today and thought it was interesting.

Where do you fall GAF?

Also, can we keep the ethnostate talk to a minimum?

I don't know what they're talking about. I love this place. Not in a bald eagles and monster truck kind of way, but that's cool if you do. I just never feel bored here. Every time I scratch something off the list, two more things jump on. I go home for twelve days on Sunday and even the drive is gorgeous.

Can't say I'm the biggest fan of current management, but that fellow can't change the way I feel about this country. Just makes me dislike him.

American

Banned
Race is something you"were just born as" yet is an example of how you can still be proud about it. That's all.

Thanks for explaining that. Being proud to be of a certain race is also something I don't understand.

It's like... Being proud to be white is also something I think is stupid. All it would have taken is a white persons mother to have fancied the dick of a black dude, or a Chinese guy, or a Hispanic, etc... and you wouldn't be so proud anymore? Same applies to other races and combinations.

Speaking of which, I never hear mixed race people saying they are proud to be mixed race. Maybe being 2 races gives them a different world view and other things to be proud of?

What country are you from? People from my country are very proud to be Latvian. Are you from a people native to your country?

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
To me, it's just my country is just a place I am born and nothing more. I certainly appreciate other cultures and identities, but unless I have somehow contributed to the success and development of that culture, I feel I would just be living off the glories of other people.

That's what I am trying to say. I'm proud of my own achievements and what I have done and what I can contribute. Unless someone is a direct family member or a close friend (who I can be happy for), I'm not gonna be proud of the success of anonymous people and bask in the glory of their achievements. I can admire them, sure, but that's it.

This is almost exactly how I feel as well.

I respect those who have pride in their countries, but I can't really relate. A nation is way too abstract of a concept for me to attach feelings of pride to. I'll stick with friends, family, and personal accomplishments.

Admiration (as you've put it) is a much better way of describing how I feel about certain parts of American history and culture. But then, of course, there are parts that I'm horrified and incredibly disappointed by as well.

This has always been my stance as well I find it pointless to be proud of things you yourself didn't achieve, can you be appreciative sure but I'm a black man saying I'm proud to be black sounds silly to me since being black isn't something I had a choice in. I am however damn proud of taking the initiative to travel and see the world and whipping myself to almost Greek God level of fitness lol

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I can't be proud of something I just am. Guess I'm weird.

This has always been my stance as well I find it pointless to be proud of things you yourself didn't achieve, can you be appreciative sure but I'm a black man saying I'm proud to be black sounds silly to me since being black isn't something I had a choice in. I am however damn proud of taking the initiative to travel and see the world and whipping myself to almost Greek God level of fitness lol

Not being 4chan troll here, hear my out.

If you are not proud to be an American and are black why don't you return to the country of your peoples origin? My country was finally given independence in 1991, SO MANY exiled and deported people came back to make it a better country. Even our first woman President (and greatest President) Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga came back after living in Canada post WW2.

Imagine the pride your children would have knowing their parents took the hard road and went somewhere to make it better and not just exist.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
America is his country..."country of origin" Christ dude.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I’m proud of America. I’ve travelled quite extensively and while we need to improve on many things, it isn’t a terrible place. The ideals espoused by our founding fathers still hold true today as the pinnacle of human political thought and have influenced global political thought to the same extent that Ancient Greece and the Magna Carta influenced them.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't speaking about them was I? Those were literally refugees. Right?

If you are not proud to be an American and are black why don't you return to the country of your peoples origin? My country was finally given independence in 1991, SO MANY exiled and deported people came back to make it a better country. Even our first woman President (and greatest President) Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga came back after living in Canada post WW2.

Imagine the pride your children would have knowing their parents took the hard road and went somewhere to make it better and not just exist.

What country would that be?

And how does merely existing = no pride in America?

Are you suddenly a miserable person because you don't have American pride? What are you trying to say?

Last edited by a moderator:
What country would that be?

And how does merely existing = no pride in America?

Are you suddenly a miserable person because you don't have American pride?

He said he isnt proud as he didnt achieve anything, I dont know his peoples home country do i? I'm not him.

Here is a fact, once the Baltics got their freedom, people from all over the world RETURNED TO THEM TO MAKE THEM BETTER. This is a huge sense of pride for us, if you are living in a country not of your background are not proud of it, why WOULDNT you want to go home?

Seriously

He said he isnt proud as he didnt achieve anything, I dont know his peoples home country do i? I'm not him.

Here is a fact, once the Baltics got their freedom, people from all over the world RETURNED TO THEM TO MAKE THEM BETTER. This is a huge sense of pride for us, if you are living in a country not of your background are not proud of it, why WOULDNT you want to go home?

Seriously

Yeah I still don't get it. You'll have you give me a history lesson.

Maybe if we weren't constantly telling ourselves that it's racist to be patriotic and to be proud of America, then we wouldn't be scoring so low on this particular poll.

Not saying America is free of problems. We suffer from significant problems, but our problems are uniquely ours. People need to get their shit together and make the country better instead of protesting that the country isn't better. The time for protesting and screaming to cease. Start building up your communities and tackling the issues head-on.

Yeah I still don't get it. You'll have you give me a history lesson.

When the soviets took the baltics, large numbers of us were killed, exiled or deported.

Those who left went to America, Canada, Australia, Brazil and England. Those who were forced went to Siberia and Eastern Russia. When we got independence in 1991, people who left as well as their kids and grandkids came back to Latvia to live. Our best President ever was one of those people (she came from Canada)

We are proud of those people for giving up comfortable lives to return and help us build up our country, we still have a way to go but we are all working together to do it.

I wasnt being a dick, i was just suggesting that that poster or his kids may one day feel that pride themselves.

Who the fuck said I was American? And if I was born in American that would be my country of origin so I have no idea what the fuck you are on about.

In any event my point is simply this its all well and good to be proud of something if you had some hand in making it great, but if you're being proud of other people's work that you just lucked yourself into by being born then that's pointless in my book.

Who the fuck said I was American? And if I was born in American that would be my country of origin so I have no idea what the fuck you are on about.

In any event my point is simply this its all well and good to be proud of something if you had some hand in making it great, but if you're being proud of other people's work that you just lucked yourself into by being born then that's pointless in my book.

It's a thread about America, i assumed. :unsure:

When the soviets took the baltics, large numbers of us were killed, exiled or deported.

Those who left went to America, Canada, Australia, Brazil and England. Those who were forced went to Siberia and Eastern Russia. When we got independence in 1991, people who left as well as their kids and grandkids came back to Latvia to live. Our best President ever was one of those people (she came from Canada)

We are proud of those people for giving up comfortable lives to return and help us build up our country, we still have a way to go but we are all working together to do it.

I wasnt being a dick, i was just suggesting that that poster or his kids may one day feel that pride themselves.

Oh okay, so just 50 years later huh? Anyway the end of his latest post kinda lines up with yours anyway.

The difference being, the people who brought black people over didn't keep detailed records of everyone's "country of origin." We have nothing to return to. Unless that was just a vague "go back to Africa" post.

The difference being, the people who brought black people over didn't keep detailed records of everyone's "country of origin." We have nothing to return to. Unless that was just a vague "go back to Africa" post.

Not at all, I would say the same thing to a white south African who was'nt proud, or an Indian in England or even a Welsh person in England etc

Last edited:
Top Bottom