• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fewer Americans "extremely proud" to be an American. Lowest in poll history.

Tapioca

Banned
If you were born in a Walmart bathroom, would you be proud of being a Walmartian?

Being proud of the location you were born at is dumb.

Last edited:
So people are taking their family members accomplishments as their own now?

Weird.

That doesn't really equate. Im proud to live in my country. Im proud of those who fought for it. Im proud to be who i am. And i would proudly do the same for my family, culture and country.

Why is that dumb?

Tapioca

Banned
That doesn't really equate. Im proud to live in my country. Im proud of those who fought for it. Im proud to be who i am. And i would proudly do the same for my family, culture and country.

Why is that dumb?

Because people put value on countries that they do not put on anything else. Mainly due to some form of nationalist brainwashing they underwent from living in that country. Also due to humans being extremely tribalistic.

No one is proud of the hospital, room, bed, car, or wherever they were born at. But they'll go on and on about the human defined lines in the sand they were born in between.

Because people put value on countries that they do not put on anything else. Mainly due to some form of nationalist brainwashing they underwent from living in that country. Also due to humans being extremely tribalistic.

No one is proud of the hospital, room, bed, car, or wherever they were born at. But they'll go on and on about the human defined lines in the sand they were born in between.

I completely disagree. There is no comparison between a hospital and a country. My people have been here for centuries in our current culture, probably thousands of years as an ethnicity. This is our land and we are proud of it.

People are tribal of course but there is nothing wrong with that. We still celebrate our heritage and culture which is confined to this area of the world so thats why we like this area of the world.

I understand America is multicultural but i still think its a shame that so many dont feel proud of who or where they are.

It's Jeff

Banned

I'm not sure I'd agree with you on this one. I've seen people define themselves just as vehemently for tribes beyond country. I live in Colorado and those Colorado native stickers and license plates are everywhere. I'm a proud member of the Red Sox Nation. Shit, there are members of the Kiss Army that love Kiss more than anybody on this planet loves any country.

People love being part of any team. Country of origin is just one of many things.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

People are proud.of everything doesn't mean shits not dumb to you...People think differently!

highrider

Banned
I’m American but a second generation immigrant from the UK. I identify with my English heritage. Whatever patriotism I had was pretty much killed by my time in the Army.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
There's something to learn here from the split between whites and non-whites. And the split between men and women with how they answered this poll.

Relativ9

Yeah, I also never got the concept of being proud of your nationality, race, gender, or sexual orientation. To me, pride comes from accomplishments, all those things are accidents of birth you did absolutely nothing to achieve. If you work to improve a country and that work has positive results, then you can be proud of the result. But to be proud of being born American or whatever is just silly to me. But yeah...I'm European, seems to be a trend that we're culturally different that way.

Last edited:

Helios

There's something to learn here from the split between whites and non-whites. And the split between men and women with how they answered this poll.
The media painting your country as if it only welcomes white males, that they're the only ones that can succeed and the fact that every minority will be stomped on by the neo-nazis probably affected these polls. Turning your country into an identity war zone is not the way you build confidence, but it sells papers.

bigedole

It's truly shameful what America has become imo. But I am optimistic and know this will be another learning lesson for America :)

What is shameful about what America has become?

As for the OP, I would say even as a former member of the military, I feel little to no pride to be an American. It doesn't really make sense in context, as others have said I didn't really contribute at all to the American Zeitgeist and I've had no hand in shaping what it means to "be an American". However, I am extremely happy to be an American, to have been born here and I am happy to continue living here.

Catphish

Yeah, I also never got the concept of being proud of your nationality, race, gender, or sexual orientation. To me, pride comes from accomplishments, all those things are accidents of birth you did absolutely nothing to achieve. If you work to improve a country and that work has resulted, then you can be proud of the result. But to be proud of being born American or whatever is just silly to me. But yeah...I'm European, seems to be a trend that we're culturally different that way.
I agree with this 100%

D

Deleted member 738645

Unconfirmed Member
george-carlin-national-pride-patriotism.jpg

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The media painting your country as if it only welcomes white males, that they're the only ones that can succeed and the fact that every minority will be stomped on by the neo-nazis probably affected these polls. Turning your country into an identity war zone is not the way you build confidence, but it sells papers.

Nah Helios Helios it's not about the media. Actual people feel this way due to their own view of the country. The media doesn't have much influence on this.

Last edited:

Helios

Nah Helios Helios it's not about the media. Actual people feel this way due to their own view of the country. The media doesn't have much influence on this.
I don't doubt America's not all sunshine and rainbows. But I can't help but think that the media is not helping. For example, violence is at an all-time low and yet there are more and more news about crimes. You'll have news stories about killings that will go on and on for weeks at a time, trying to squeeze the last possible drop of controversy they can.
We are at our highest peak in terms of health, technology, education and yet the media paints the world as if we're back in the medieval ages.
Also as much as the media condemns violence, they sure love the money it brings.

LordPezix

I disagree. Media has always had large impacts on the populous. Media is cheap manufactured "truths" that without in depth knowledge of subjects are accepted as reality by a lot of individuals. We actively discuss many topics here on this forum and look at many points of views at great length but we are the minority. We have to remember a lot of people are happy being spoon fed media and accepting it as reality.

The very fact we engage in discussion filled with individuals of many backgrounds/experience/knowledge allows us to have a more whole view on a topic. That is not the case of the TV dinner living room news at 7 that a lot of people consume on the daily basis.

Not surpised by the the poll. Many democrats hate this country. They think the party in power are literal nazis. History isn't their strong suit.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I would put myself in the "Not proud at all" category. Especially given the amount of public scandals the past couple of years. As well as the way we have been treating our closest allies. We are treating our allies like enemies and thats not the way the US should conduct itself. We can do alot better than what we have been doing lately.

I feel like the Mid-Terms and 2020 though will be a big step in getting everything back on track though.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

You mean the political side that pushes the idea that America is a white supremacist patriarchy hellscape....aren't fans of America.

What a shock.

Arkage

Banned
Electing a reality TV star who Grabs Women by the Pussy(TM) is a pretty big low IMO, regardless of what policies he feels obliged to parrot at any given time. As a liberal I would've said I was proud to be American if someone like Kasich had gotten the nomination and won even though I disagree with many of his positions. With Trump, there is literally no possible redemption. A significant portion of Trump's appeal was as a "fuck you" to liberals. As such, the poll results are unsurprising.

Last edited:

It's Jeff

Banned
I don't doubt America's not all sunshine and rainbows. But I can't help but think that the media is not helping. For example, violence is at an all-time low and yet there are more and more news about crimes. You'll have news stories about killings that will go on and on for weeks at a time, trying to squeeze the last possible drop of controversy they can.
We are at our highest peak in terms of health, technology, education and yet the media paints the world as if we're back in the medieval ages.
Also as much as the media condemns violence, they sure love the money it brings.

Huh. This is interesting - I mean, I understand why they do it. You have to grab people's attention somehow and "everything is fine, go back to bed," isn't a compelling headline.

I think it's on us to just... stop paying attention to it. It's not making me better at my job, I'm not more worldly or well-informed, and it's not like Laura Ingraham or Rachel Maddow are cracking comedic takes that double me over with laughter. I'm starting to think that for-profit and journalism are two things that just won't ever mesh.

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Not to be crude but..

Fuck them weak bitches!

'MERICA!!!!!!!!

American

Banned
Do you also chastise black people for their ancestors being slaves? Maybe tell them to get over it since they didnt do the suffering?

Hahahahaha, what the fuck??? :D

This is the dumbest post I've ever read on NeoGAF. Like... how the fuck does your brain leap from talking about pride in a country, or pride in personal and family achievements to slavery??

Unless bucyou is secretly ashamed to be American because of his countries involvement in the slave trade. I don't know. Someone explain this to me. I'm trying to connect the dots here :D

Greedings

If you were born in a Walmart bathroom, would you be proud of being a Walmartian?

Being proud of the location you were born at is dumb.

Being patriotic is being proud OF your country for its current and historical achievements, just like I'm proud of my wife for doing something currently or previously. I put in no effort, I did nothing, but I feel the success of something that I'm part of. Her success reflects upon me. Just like my country's success reflects upon me.

It's the same how I'm ashamed of my country when it does something stupid. I'm British living in Germany. When Brexit was announced I was ashamed. I barely wanted to show my face when it happened. When I read about operation Dynamo in WW2, I'm extremely proud of my country and fellow countrymen did. It's not my achievement, but it's the group's achievement.

My country and I have similar ideals and shared aims. My countrymen and I share a similar culture and have experienced the same things. My country and I are inextricably linked through how we act, and how we all think. I wouldn't even say I'm patriotic, I don't love my country, but I want it to do better, I want to be proud and love it.

I'm not philosopher, but this "fuck patriotism" hot take is so vapid. It's like no thought has been put into it. I've thought about why I'm patriotic. I've come to terms with it and moved from a very similar position - I used to think it was dumb to be patriotic - but I kinda grew out of that, because there was no thought behind it.
If you want to be reductive and call a country "the place you were born at" then you are quite misinformed. A country is far more than simply lines on a map.

Codes 208

If you asked me five years ago I wouldve said "hell yeah"

But not so much any more. Not neccessarily from a political standpoint, but I find I care less and less about people's backgrounds and it just seems trivial to be exetremely proud of where youre for the sake of it than why it matters so much to. Though in a somewhat hypocritical sense Im a proud Minnesotan. But thats mainly due to this culture being closer to home and where I was raised, I know people here, I know my roots.

America as whole has a ton of issues I cant overlook, but I dont regret being me.

Trump can't MAGA overnight. It's going to take time. It took decades to run America into the ground. It'll take awhile to get back on track.

manfestival

I came back from a trip in march traveling south america. I feel like I am more proud than ever to be American. I feel so fortunate to have been born and raised on American soil(Born in PR but it is still US soil).

Tapioca

Banned
I'm not philosopher, but this "fuck patriotism" hot take is so vapid. It's like no thought has been put into it.

That's cool. I prefer to put pride in personal achievements rather than arbitrary lines in the sand. I had nothing to do with America defeating Britain. How am I supposed to be proud of that? What exactly are you feeling proud of?

My people have been here for centuries in our current culture, probably thousands of years as an ethnicity.

Who cares? You are not them. They are not you.

I understand America is multicultural but i still think its a shame that so many dont feel proud of who or where they are.

The US is more of a mono-culture if anything, other than recent immigrants or possibly 1rst/2nd gen gen. Most Americans are extremely detached from their ancestors culture that we formed our own. Different racial groups might have some slight differences but nothing that different. The biggest cultural differences come from city/suburban/rural living.

I'm not sure I'd agree with you on this one. I've seen people define themselves just as vehemently for tribes beyond country. I live in Colorado and those Colorado native stickers and license plates are everywhere. I'm a proud member of the Red Sox Nation. Shit, there are members of the Kiss Army that love Kiss more than anybody on this planet loves any country.

People love being part of any team. Country of origin is just one of many things.

US Children are nearly forced to say the pledge of allegiance at school to the flag every single school day. You can't say that isn't nationalist brainwashing.

Do you also chastise black people for their ancestors being slaves? Maybe tell them to get over it since they didnt do the suffering?

So you would agree that reparations are a bad idea then?

This has nothing to do with the topic. Why so obsessed with black people? Do you guys wish you were trans-racial or something? :unsure:

Last edited:

Panda1

Banned
The difference being, the people who brought black people over didn't keep detailed records of everyone's "country of origin." We have nothing to return to. Unless that was just a vague "go back to Africa" post.

Yet with DNA testing you can now know exactly what your genetic history is.

Zog

Banned
Being proud to be an American, well that's nationalism and we all know that nationalism is bad in 2018.

Tapioca

Banned
Also, not feeling pride in a country does not equate to hating it.

I don't take pride in owning a Logitech mouse but I still like the mouse and surely do not hate it.

Top Bottom