• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

Hi GAF; I need helps with the owls

http://i.imgur.com/ouIBg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/w5Vnm.jpg

I don't know what i'm missing ;(

I ended up having to hunt for 2 golden bits. One was in the globe and the other was in an floating island in the graveyard area. *shrug* probably won't help but you never know.

Owl, there are two doors. To access one you have to position yourself in front of door then rotate the world twice so you are hidden and press up to enter (and presumably the owl isn't looking at you).
Sorry, can't be specific as I don't remember the exact position.

Also the black monolith room is fucking impossible. Everything else is done (32 yellow cubes / 32 anticubes)

Tell me about it >_>

I still only have about 29 yellow cubes :/ No idea where the rest are. Clearly there are doors I haven't visited yet. I reckon it's just one door somewhere that leads to all the rest.

Numpt3

Apart from the odd bit of slow down and stuttering I'm loving this game. I've had quite a few holy crap moments now that things are starting to click.

The start of new game + made me lol, also.. does the
first person view
have a use or is it just for show?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
how many maps are there? I currently have 4

I figured out (maybe?) that you use them
for the room filled with loads of doors
but when I follow the marked area in red it doesn't seem to work.

weeaboo

So, late game spoilers
We can assume that the black monolith riddle gives the last red cube for the last room, right?

So, late game spoilers
We can assume that the black monolith riddle gives the last red cube for the last room, right?

Yup. (Edit: two yups)

Is anyone else trying to figure this one out?

People have said that the black monolith is in reference to 2001 Space Odyssey... I was wondering why they'd bother with the skull artifact (or bone..!) and upon closer inspection, there seem to be grooves in it that could possibly indicate directional input, could be a long shot though.

I wonder if the other artifact cubes reference each face of the skull? Just throwing it out there, LOL.

I'm so confused :x

Now 12 cubes and 2 anticubes in and no stuttering or slowdown. Still can not look at the leaderboards though. =/
This map. I don't know where the heck I'm going.

Zomba13

Yup. (Edit: two yups)

Is anyone else trying to figure this one out?

People have said that the black monolith is in reference to 2001 Space Odyssey... I was wondering why they'd bother with the skull artifact (or bone..!) and upon closer inspection, there seem to be grooves in it that could possibly indicate directional input, could be a long shot though.

I wonder if the other artifact cubes reference each face of the skull? Just throwing it out there, LOL.

I'm so confused :x

The other artifacts could just be useless, like just artifacts adding to the world. Like the number/letter cubes are just how they stamp their text and the skull is just the skull of a squid alien that gave Gomez's kind the power of the cube.

yggdrasil

209.4% Achieved!

But by obtaining the 33rd anticube, not by solving the monolith.

My thought was that the order of the letters in the tome map to the letter cube, which maps to the counting cube, which maps to the tetrominoes in the boiler room, which map to the controller buttons. But the solution of U D RT D RT LT ? LT doesn't work for me for all substitutions of ? (being Y=10, unrepresented on the boiler room wall).

About that puzzle:

A few things I'm thinking about:
-Could it be that "devil cube" the kid in the beginning was talking about?
-It's the only thing, afaik, that still moves when in first person view.
-There are concentric cube patterns similar to the one on the floor beneath it all over the world.
- I have a feeling it's not connected to the book artifact.
No idea if any of it is of any help.

EDIT:
I just remebered.
I think the ending is some corroboration for the 2001 theories. I thought it was very 2001 as well.

Glix

I'm enjoying this a lot more than I wanted to. I'm hitting and running here, I don't want any hints at all. 14/4 so far. Really good stuff.

AHA-Lambda

What on earth have I missed? =/

I just finished the main story by getting 32 cubes about 15 mins ago and what is all this other stuff about
black monoliths
and such like? 33rd anticube? My head hurts...

GhaleonEB

I feel like there's a level to this game I'm just not understanding. My floating cube companion has told me more times than I can count that he wonders what X is - and so do I! I don't know what the treasure maps are; what all those symbols are on the walls; what the telescope is trying to tell me; what the totems are that cube-friend says he can't remember; what I'm supposed to do with this stack of a half dozen blocks; and so on. Is this stuff explained at some point? Because I'm decently far in - 13 cubes - and I have absolutely no idea what any of it means.

Just have fun exploring...it's likely you'll pick up a few things on the way.

I'm not having fun exploring. I'm getting very frustrated and angry at the game for dropping shittons of cryptic stuff like this all over the levels without even the faintest hint of what to do about them. Nada, none, zilch. I just read up on one solution (the bell tower). How/where/when are those codes explained or even hinted at in the game? I'm not asking rhetorically. I want to know, because I'm sitting in another room - one of a couple dozen, it seems - where the only thing is some weird symbol on the wall and my cube companion saying, "I wonder what this means?" And the map tells me there some secret here, but I cannot find a way to interact with anything.

I wonder that that means. I really do. I've asked a good half dozen times now and everyone just says "have fun with it". But this is not fun. Not at all.

milesdm

What on earth have I missed? =/

I just finished the main story by getting 32 cubes about 15 mins ago and what is all this other stuff about
black monoliths
and such like? 33rd anticube? My head hurts...

Some would argue that
you're only half-way through the game so far.
Explore a bit more if you want to, or if not, read on:
like with the primary yellow/golden cubes, there is a set of 32 anti-cubes part of a much harder and more cryptic set-piece of puzzles. If you didn't notice with the main story ending, the Hexahedron only filled in cubes part way. Once completing this other set, and running through the end area again, the game unlocks a second/"good" ending.

As you're filling up this second set, you'll notice that some of the hub areas with water has had the tide fall, revealing other areas in the game. This black monolith is one of those puzzles, and the last one that people are stuck on. The only one on the leaderboard that has completed it (BeeMickSee/Brandon McCartin aka the sound designer) is remaining tight-lipped. So everyone's going nuts on how to solve it.

The 33rd anti-cube is speculated to be accidentally left in, or however you want to put it, as it locks out the said second/"good" ending and reverts to the first/"bad" one.

How/where/when are those codes explained or even hinted at in the game?

Observe the surroundings.

The codes you're referring to is a
numerical system, and there's various rooms that have parts of it (zero thru ten) listed on the walls.
That's all people had, approaching the puzzle you mentioned. It just took a bit of trial and error, and logic-- not that all puzzles are like that.

If you haven't completed the game once already, you don't need to get into anything cryptic. It exists as a second-set of puzzle which cater to those who are being that observant.

I'm not having fun exploring. I'm getting very frustrated and angry at the game for dropping shittons of cryptic stuff like this all over the levels without even the faintest hint of what to do about them. Nada, none, zilch. I just read up on one solution (the bell tower). How/where/when are those codes explained or even hinted at in the game? I'm not asking rhetorically. I want to know, because I'm sitting in another room - one of a couple dozen, it seems - where the only thing is some weird symbol on the wall and my cube companion saying, "I wonder what this means?" And the map tells me there some secret here, but I cannot find a way to interact with anything.

I wonder that that means. I really do. I've asked a good half dozen times now and everyone just says "have fun with it". But this is not fun. Not at all.

This is just not true. The game IS giving you hints, you're either not putting them together correctly, not looking hard enough or, how it sounds from your posts, you just want to be angry at the game for not spelling everything out to you.

The number system is hard to figure out, but it's possible and a lot of people did individually.
Here's how I figured it out
- In one clasroom, there are the symbols for 0, 1, 2, 3 with drawings of a dot, a line, a square and a cube underneath them, respectively.
- You get 4 from the treasure maps that are for the room with a lot of doors, since they describe an order and you know 1, 2, and 3.
- 5, 7 and 10 are gotten from another (or the same, I forgot) classroom, which shows some equations on the wall. You'll figure the out through a process of 1+2+x=y, linear equations basically.
- 6 is then gotten from the Bell tower, since you know the other numbers on the bell and you get the cube when you hit the unknown symbol 6 times.
Of course that didn't happen one after another, but more naturally while playing the game, taking notes and having FUN doing so.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I just read up on one solution (the bell tower).

8ZaeD.gif

I hope all the secrets aren't like this... I find myself going in to a room with a secret and literally wondering what I'm supposed to be doing in an empty room.

Had to stop playing, BM puzzle is driving me fucking insane.

8ZaeD.gif

I hope all the secrets aren't like this... I find myself going in to a room with a secret and literally wondering what I'm supposed to be doing in an empty room.

I hope you have a pen at the ready. There's something pretty cool about wandering around the world of Fez and translating shit. More games need to do this.

Tawpgun

I appreciate the depth of the puzzle solving, but I think any game that makes you take notes in order to decode shit is a bit much. I think its cool that its there, but you don't need to do all that shit to beat it right?

binary

I've hit a brick wall.

31 golden cubes, 7 shards
21 anti cubes

Still can't decipher
the number system, the alphabet, the poles, or the hieroglyphics.

I've been staring at the
diagrams in the classroom
for ages and I've got nothing.

Zomba13

I've hit a brick wall.

21 anti cubes

Still can't decipher

I've been staring at the

If you want a hint for the alphabet find the quick brown fox jumping over the lazy dog. I can't remember where it is, I think it's by the waterfall area. There is something there that will help you decipher the language.

I've hit a brick wall.

21 anti cubes

Still can't decipher

I've been staring at the

I'm just amazed you got that far without deciphering anything

I know this is going to seem lazy, but is there a cheat sheet for the alphabet and numbers someone's already worked up? I've already found the fox and the dog, and I know how people figured out the alphabet and numbers, I just don't want to go through the extra step of copying it down to paper, then trying to guess from my scribbled notes, or recopying it to PC and smoothing it out. I'm sure someone's already done it...

I know this is going to seem lazy, but is there a cheat sheet for the alphabet and numbers someone's already worked up? I've already found the fox and the dog, and I know how people figured out the alphabet and numbers, I just don't want to go through the extra step of copying it down to paper, then trying to guess from my scribbled notes, or recopying it to PC and smoothing it out. I'm sure someone's already done it...

Here you go:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=366092

Zomba13

It's been done. I'll post mine though until someone finds a better pic.

EDIT: Nevermind lol.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I 32 cube finished and I'm pretty disappointed. There's a huge gap between just platforming and spinning to get bits and the extremely obtuse puzzles. It feels like I just ran through a lot of busywork, and in order to continue on I need to start highlighting spoiler tags just to get anywhere, but that's just more busywork. Great music.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Shit, I accidentally skipped a hint/text from an owl. It was near a stone tablet and it said something about "this is one of many." What did I skip exactly? At the waterfall level

Krathoon

With the extra layers on the puzzles, no wonder this game took so long to make. I'll probably go ahead and get it. It would have been nice if they put out a PC version at the same time. I suspect this is due to some sort of exclusivity deal with 360.

Where to we go to beat the game. I accidently hit B to fast when the little guy was telling me where to go. I want to beat it so I can get
fly and fps mode
. We don't lose anything by going to NG+ yeah?

Zomba13

Where to we go to beat the game. I accidently hit B to fast when the little guy was telling me where to go. I want to beat it so I can get
fly and fps mode

NG+ has you keep everything from your last game. so NG++ has your NG+ stuff etc. And the place where you go to finish the game is behind a 32 cube door in the area behind the 16 cube door.

louiedog

fly and fps mode

Correct, you lose nothing. I recommend going NG+ asap. I'd probably only uncovered about 60% of the world when I got my 32nd cube and finished. I was glad that I did because once in NG+ there aren't any barriers not set by puzzles. It's so much easier to get around and free yourself up to focus more on the puzzles.

Top Bottom