• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FGC GAF, so what was wrong with TEKKEN 4 ?

My opinion of t4 is much different than many lol.

People always bitch about jfls but really it was 2,1 and parry which opened things up. Jfls on block was more than managable. Also there was some weird u/f moves that got through it, even on hit - lees uf 3, ninas uf34, yoshis uf3 I believe. You'd still get tagged with a 24 after launch but it was better than taking 123d4. Imo a solid, turtle steve was more an issue.

I never had much of an issue with grade changes. It just became part of the tactics and placed an emphasis on space control.

Infinates are always brought up,but really, how often did you really, honestly, see them on a practical scale?. Not often as I recal. Even as a lee player myself, you still had to humt for it, then maintain it. No random scrub could dash jab the arena and only a few characters had solid carry ability - lee, bob, steve, ling? I guess craig if you're good at vtsc. I remember when t5 first came out and some kid was bitching about t4 infinites, and wouldnt you know it, seconds later snuck in steves ss sway infinate which was waaaaayy more scrubby and required way less execution than anything in t4

It tried to be different comming off the circle jerk everyone was having over tag, it was way more poke centric. A lot of casuals wanted juggles cough•tag*cough. Mid level players had issues with movement but imo it wasnt that bad, just different. Though in fairness i was a devoted lee and nina player. T4 exchanged BDc and catch the pussy with pokes, d1s and wall pushes.

I am not going to argue about ballance, it has issues. But shit, again, people bring this up and tag was just a mishima whore house.

To this day it has one of the best wall systems, which again I know isn't popular. I just loved the wall push options, splat, ss oki etc.

I think what really bothered me was that a lot of the ballance issues seemed pretty obvious and easily corrected. It wasn't some puzzle or secret, even early in the games life cycle.

a few characters = / = the entire roster

It doesn't. But Jin's is clearly different now and it's his default now, he's even in that outfit on the character select screen.

It really doesn't even matter now though even if they are in default costumes now. Tekken has the character outfit customization things now.

Street fighter hasn't even changed Ryu's default. There's lots characters in fighting games that still haven't changed their default costumes.

Dereck

It really doesn't even matter now though even if they are in default costumes now. Tekken has the character outfit customization things now.
That would be great if the customization system was better than subpar like Tekken 6's was.

The point is that most of the customization is not character specific, giving every character a jogging tracksuit is not a sufficient substitute for unique character specific costumes.

Xpliskin

So many mentioned the stifled movement.

Can someone please explain ?

Do you guys mean when maneuvering around your opponent or the general speed of the moves ?

Also did the control scheme play a role in this ?

Iirc HOLDING Up or DOWN were used to move around, but T5 and TTT have had you double tap UP or DOWN.

Lee(Violet to be specific) was so fun in Tekken 4. He was the first character since the franchise began that I'd fallen for outside of King and Paul, and that specific iteration was just really awesome to play with.

MikeMyers

Nothing per se apart from balance issues. It's imo the best Tekken out of the bunch. I clocked in over 1000 hours in this game. Had the best "tone" of the characters. Tekken 4 Paul is the best Paul. I dunno why they felt the need to make him a joke character later on again. The cast is also reasonably small (maybe a bit too small), which is actually a good thing, since all characters have new moves and animations. Since Tekken 4, the series is pretty stagnant apart from bullshit additions like rage and bound mechanisms. Every Tekken game after 4 just became more and more "bloated", both character wise AND move wise. They literally copy animations and just add a few new moves. Tekken needs LESS content, not more. It's time for a purge. Tekken 4 was optimal here imo. Best mix of old and new.

Paul's new hairstyle in T4 was also pretty goat.

I still watch Paul's Tekken 4 ending regularly and I get goosebumps every fucking time.
Paul is the reason why I always play Brawler type of characters.
Agreed. Paul was best character.

Hated what they did to him after 4.

So many mentioned the stifled movement.

Can someone please explain ?

Do you guys mean when maneuvering around your opponent or the general speed of the moves ?

Also did the control scheme play a role in this ?

Iirc HOLDING Up or DOWN were used to move around, but T5 and TTT have had you double tap UP or DOWN.

T4 was U/D for sidewalk, u/d~N for ss and u/d~N~U/D for ss walk. People have issues with it because the ss wasn't very broad and didn't cancel as well as in tag. Backdash cancel was nerfed in an attempt to create more pressure but became to pokey for many. Push back and guard break on block were pretty mellow as well, which promoted further poke issues. Which in turn, again, compounded the lack of looser movement. Infact the backdash and weak guard breaks / pushes in general was more of an issue than the actual ss.

Lee(Violet to be specific) was so fun in Tekken 4. He was the first character since the franchise began that I'd fallen for outside of King and Paul, and that specific iteration was just really awesome to play with.
T4 lee is the most fun and enjoyable character of any fighter I've played. What's funny is that for the longest time I was anti lee - what a little fairy boy! Then at a regional in seattle, OG player MattyD showed me whats up lol. Converted for life.

That would be great if the customization system was better than subpar like Tekken 6's was.

The point is that most of the customization is not character specific, giving every character a jogging tracksuit is not a sufficient substitute for unique character specific costumes.

It isn't, but at least we have options now. It appears Tekken is now really trying to cater to a lot of audiences costume variation wise compared to its past games, there's a lot of possible combinations. Supplying players with unique costumes, unique customization, non unique customization (such as the tracksuits) It's tough, everyone has their own definitions of unique. They've managed to greatly expand upon what they initially started with. They also created so much character customization content that we're actually able to have a conservation about it and debate about how it could be better or worse, in some fighting games it's not even an option.

I think TTT2's customization is better than T6's. Haven't tried T7's yet, but hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Dereck

They could really just do away with it completely. If Tekken 7 had zero customization, but looked like Tekken 4, I would be in favor.

See DOA5: LR

Alchemy

I think the biggest issues was balance, and weird level heights and wall system leading to some really goofy juggles. I imagine if Namco could have fixed the wall and level heights issue that it would have been a good direction moving forward but it does look like a bit of a tricky situation.

Nudull

Banned
Wasn't all that memorable, really. By then, I still couldn't get into the series.

I only remember my friend made me use his crappy 3rd party MadCatz controller whenever I played against him.
51FK38W94CL.jpg

Well, this is a blast from the past. o.o

pants

You mean what was wrong from a competitive standpoint? Idk, I always felt there were certain chars that were orders of magnitude above others. Tekken's never really felt balanced to me, but then again I've never really put much more than 50 or so hours into playing Tekken competitively. From a 'game' standpoint, nothing. I've always liked having Tekken games so I can just whip it out when people come around as even noobs dont feel entirely flustered when playing Tekken as opposed to say, KoF.

Since T4, spacing in Tekken has been nerfed. T3/TTT had great, powerful movement. Tekken since then has basically been about executing moves rather than baiting whiffs with great spacing games. People complained about how relatively easy it was to 'turtle' in T3/TTT, because the backdash was huge (and so was the sidestep, although SWing now is arguably more effective), but this also meant that you had to think a lot more about what moves you were going to use, and it rewarded a more thoughtful, conservative and considered style of play.

Castef

Banned
Let's say that someone said "Hey! Let's put the game in a 3D environment forgotting to balance everything else and let's see how it does!".

Worst episode of the saga for sure.

Sayad

Also Position Change is only in this game and that's a bummer because it's a cool mechanic. It replaced the 2+4 throw for everyone but it was a great way to get in and out of the wall and added some cool combo potential.
Isn't position change still in the game in that every character have a position switch throw, they just also do damage now! Haven't really played much of TTT2, but I think I heard this in one of LUYG tutorials.

Piccoro

Story-wise is the best Tekken ever. They actually contracted a professional movie and book writer to create the story.
Every other Tekken feels cheap with the Heihachi sending his family to space in a rocket shenanigans...

Renekton

Story-wise is the best Tekken ever. They actually contracted a professional movie and book writer to create the story.
Every other Tekken feels cheap with the Heihachi sending his family to space in a rocket shenanigans...
Erm Steve as Nina's son was nuts tho

av2k

I remember doing Hwoarang's infinite on arena stage infront of a former Namco employee (WC MAXI)..

he muttered.. "great game."

yyr

gameplay issues aside, Tekken 4 still has the best aesthetics/music in the series.

I disagree.

It's not because I think T4's audiovisuals aren't fantastic, because they are. It's because, IMO, T4 is when they went from the PS1-based System 12 to the PS2-based System 246 and said, "okay, why don't we actually put some real effort into the graphics and make something cutting-edge?" And then they did, and since T4 each Tekken game has looked great for its day.

T6 blew me away even more than T4 did. I remember seeing the jungle stage for the first time. Amazing.

I disagree.

It's not because I think T4's audiovisuals aren't fantastic, because they are. It's because, IMO, T4 is when they went from the PS1-based System 12 to the PS2-based System 246 and said, "okay, why don't we actually put some real effort into the graphics and make something cutting-edge?" And then they did, and since T4 each Tekken game has looked great for its day.

T6 blew me away even more than T4 did. I remember seeing the jungle stage for the first time. Amazing.

I should specify that I meant the visual/audio design. Tekken 6 did impress me with it's graphical tech and fluid redone animations, but I was disappointing that most of the cast just retained their (worse imo) Tekken 5 designs. the music is also the worst in the series IMO.

Top Bottom