• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 12 |OT| LOVE FOOTBALL, PLAY FOOTBALL

One thing that needs to change are bullshit penalties in the box

A really frustrating thing with "B" being tackle: remember all the times when you are mashing B in the box to score that lose ball? Yeah, now you're guy just goes into a tackle animation

fuuuuuuuuuuuck

butter_stick said:
Just played 5 or so games against a guy I played a ton of FIFA 11 with. Because neither of us are great at dribbling and shit it was really fun. Felt balanced, and more realistic in terms of the pace of the games.

I do agree that it seems like, in general, it takes less skill to be good at attacking than it does to be good at defending, and that imbalance creates a situation where anyone that knows skill moves is going to beat you if you don't. Sure, the answer would be "learn them", but there's nothing satisfying about not being able to tackle a guy has he sidesteps your whole team and walks right to the goal. I'm still not sure how you're supposed to be able to cope with tackling in every situation.

For example: I use RB to have the CPU contain the player, but the CPU will never make a tackle, the only time he'll win the ball is if the opponent fucks up and runs the ball right to him. So you have to switch to the CPU player to try and make a tackle, at which point you lose control of the player you've been controlling and trying to get in a deeper position. And naturally he just runs where he feels. So if you fuck up your tackle, the guy can just run right though.

I mean, maybe I'm playing wrong. That's very likely. I'm certainly getting better at controlling my defense, but there's a lot of occasions where it just feels like the odds are completely stacked against the defender.

But that's kind of the point of the new defensive scheme. You aren't supposed to run in and tackle, you are supposed to force the attack to make a mistake, or force him to an area he doesn't want to be in, while blocking the area he does want to be in. For example if Messi is coming down the wing, you want to force him to keep going down the wing with contain. If you were to go and try and tackle Messi, he would easily side step you, and you just gave him the inside to go towards the box to make a play. By being patient and forcing him outside, you are playing to their (relative) weakness, and containing Messi to the outside. The game isn't about constant tackling.

Yerolo

Awesome Animals said:
But that's kind of the point of the new defensive scheme. You aren't supposed to run in and tackle, you are supposed to force the attack to make a mistake, or force him to an area he doesn't want to be in, while blocking the area he does want to be in. For example if Messi is coming down the wing, you want to force him to keep going down the wing with contain. If you were to go and try and tackle Messi, he would easily side step you, and you just gave him the inside to go towards the box to make a play. By being patient and forcing him outside, you are playing to their (relative) weakness, and containing Messi to the outside. The game isn't about constant tackling.

That's exactly right. The new tackling in FIFA 12 is a totally different mindset and veterans to the FIFA series are finding it hard to adjust in some ways, it requires you to totally relearn how to play in some cases.

I think this is what is leading to alot of frustration. I have been playing the nextgen fifas since fifa 07 and I am finding the transition difficult as well, but I love the challenge.

Rikkun

Uhm, but buying the Pass thing will give me the game 3 days earlier than the rest of my nation right? So if the game comes out the 30th in EU, I can pay moneys to EA and play it on 27?

Just curiosity, I'll never pay 20€ to beta-betatest an EA Sports game for 3 days. I already betatested Fifa for.. 12 months last year. And payed 70€ for that.

Awesome Animals said:
Fair points. I certainly enjoy the pacing more that comes from the new defending. There's obviously going to be an adjustment period.

zou

While I'm glad the match making takes place after you've chosen a team, it leads to games where you're playing an opponent with virtually indistinguishable jerseys (black vs dark blue etc)...

:/

MPW

Kozak said:
Arda, Sahin and Topal if you could please.

Topal plays for Valencia.

arda 83
sahin 85
topal 78

"Dave797 Dave Bryant
Yes, there are cutscenes and commentary to go with new signings on their debut. Do not skip pre-match!! #FIFA12"

sneaky77

zou said:
While I'm glad the match making takes place after you've chosen a team, it leads to games where you're playing an opponent with virtually indistinguishable jerseys (black vs dark blue etc)...

you cannot choose the kit before the match starts?

zou said:

Yeah, that is retarded

zou

sneaky77 said:
you cannot choose the kit before the match starts?

Nope. You also don't get to see your opponent's team. Playing Barcelona every single time gets old real fast.

sneaky77

zou said:
Nope. You also don't get to see your opponent's team. Playing Barcelona every single time gets old real fast.

Awesome playtesting lol.. is like it gets playtested by monkeys geez, how come no one realized that issue.

Menelaus

Banned
Saren is Bad said:

A really frustrating thing with "B" being tackle: remember all the times when you are mashing B in the box to score that lose ball? Yeah, now you're guy just goes into a tackle animation

fuuuuuuuuuuuck
If only the controls were customizable!

Yerolo

zou said:

Wow, that is really bad. Why on earth would they change that ? ..and not knowing who you are playing until after the fact...

I think I'll stick to playing with mates

Araxen

Banned
zou said:

I've had matches where the ref has had the same color jersey as the opposing team before which is equally as frustrating.

I swore I wouldn't get into ratings bullshit, but honestly, you telling me that someone who's won the Golden Boot at the World Cup with 5 goals and 3 assists, and followed that up with 18 goals and 16 assists last season is a point worse than Jesus Fucking Navas?

Really? Really?

Kozak

Banned
MPW said:
arda 83
sahin 85
topal 78

"Dave797 Dave Bryant
Yes, there are cutscenes and commentary to go with new signings on their debut. Do not skip pre-match!! #FIFA12"

Holy shit at Sahin!

Disappointed at Topals rating..he had an awesome season at Valencia.

adelante

Awesome Animals said:
Damn straight. I think a lot of people are gonna find the game harder to defend simply because it's always been FAR TOO EASY to do so in previous games. I suppose you can't blame people for being so reliant on something that exists in the game but having difficulty in overcoming this new control scheme or defense mechanics isn't a legitimate complaint imho when there are several other features in place that offers you greater degree of control than what Contain's assists offers. For instance, having the CPU guide the direction at which your defender is facing a dribbler in a defensive press is a super easy way to get yourself wrongfooted. You're fooling yourself if you think the new Contain is the intended way of defending just because EA hyped up TD to death.

Lakitu

st5fu
Saren is Bad said:

fuuuuuuuuuuuck

Yeah, spot on. I used to actually hold down whenever my team weren't in position. Out of habit, most like. Now it's that damn tackle animation :(

Keio

For a Finer World
So, about 21 H2H games played. And it's been a tough trip, playing 90%

First game was a lolworthy 5-5 goalfest, with both of us having NO clue about tactical defending. Then I got to grips with the basic tactical defending and froze out 6 next opponents, with a 3-3-0 record.

After that, shit hit the fan. I guess I started tiring and getting frustrated, and that's when you can start to concede stupid goals. Holding the formation is so much more important and you can really wreak havoc by switching tactics mid-game if you can gain a man advantage over the midfield. When your opponent starts chasing the ball, a through-ball or a strong 4-5 man attack for a cross becomes inevitable.

Of course, I unfortunately was on the receiving side for the next 12 games. The matchmaker started throwing Barcelona, Man City etc. at my Newcastle side, with no respite. The new "money-teams", Malaga (4,5) and Anzhi (4) are a bit underrated considering the star power. But on the other hand I deserved the drubbings I got.

Finally I decided to have a nights sleep over it and played a few games today, with a 0-2-1 record, so a lot better. Managed to lose only 2-1 to Man City (to a ridiculous Tevez goal at the end), Drew 1-1 with Real Madrid and another 1-1 vs Aston Villa. In all games played a conservative defense, herding the opposition to conceding possession rather than rushing and tackling. At the same time that opened up great opportunities for counter-attacking football.

In a way it's good to see that the homing missile approach is now completely gone. I have yet to try Barca and see if you can get Pep's crazy "defend all over the pitch" approach going with the heavy pressure, though. Still, better to see not every team just do this.

I'm thinking: FIFA 12 is just great.

And regarding goalscoring, sure the goalies are brutal good, but at the same time the goals scored seem a lot more varied than previously.

Awesome Animals said:

True, and I certainly cope with this when the opposing player is outside the box. But when he is inside and I have one or two defenders near by, I can't force him to wait as I don't have a wall of players a head - I'm running to catch up or I am the only one in front of him. This is where you have to make the first move? If the attacking player did the fake shot (B + A), you'll have to press the tackle button - but as its a fake one, you don't realise that until after the skill move to which by that time your defender has already made the lunge forward and cannot get back in the game. Another shot, bam goal.

It seems that you need a different strategy in the box. When I have managed to clear it, it's when several of my players have been in or around the box to intercept or pick up the loose ball

Keio

For a Finer World
Meus Renaissance said:
It seems that you need a different strategy in the box. When I have managed to clear it, it's when several of my players have been in or around the box to intercept or pick up the loose ball
What has worked ok (if you read my previous post I can't really boast with a lot of success) for me in the box has been sliding tackles (with two penalties conceded, yes) if it's a desperate last-ditch moment. I guess that's a bit of realism as well: having played as a defender there's nothing worse than being side-to-side with a good paced opponent in the box. It's so easy to foul (or just have the other guy dive if there's any contact).

Other than that, if you have the chance just try steering into the guy with a diagonal left stick, pressing A seems to help at times as well (I'm still having trouble figuring out when A triggers a tackle and when it's just assisted jockeying).

Meus Renaissance said:
True, and I certainly cope with this when the opposing player is outside the box. But when he is inside and I have one or two defenders near by, I can't force him to wait as I don't have a wall of players a head - I'm running to catch up or I am the only one in front of him. This is where you have to make the first move? If the attacking player did the fake shot (B + A), you'll have to press the tackle button - but as its a fake one, you don't realise that until after the skill move to which by that time your defender has already made the lunge forward and cannot get back in the game. Another shot, bam goal.

But shouldn't you struggle a bit when they get the inside move on you? Plus, if you don't panic and maintain your contain, you will either force a pass, or block the shot, and if they try to keep coming in on you, that is when you tackle.

I haven't played against any humans yet, or the retail version of the game, but I know that is how I've played against the AI with relative success. My only deficiencies have been dealing with the ridiculous dribbling patterns the AI produces.

I feel dirty knowing that Spurs are a 5* team now. I'm going to be that guy who plays a 5* team now.

Apparently these are Spurs stats (stolen from Reddit):

Emmanuel Adebayor - 191 26/2/1984 Right Tottenham Togo 82

Benoit Assou-Ekotto - 180 24/3/1984 Left Tottenham Cameroon 78

Gareth Bale - 183 16/7/1989 Left Tottenham Wales 86

Sébastien Bassong - 187 07/09/1986 Left Tottenham Cameroon 75

John Bostock - 179 15/1/1992 Left Tottenham England 65

Tommy Carroll - 177 28/5/1992 Right Tottenham England 61

Vedran Ćorluka - 193 02/05/1986 Right Tottenham Croatia 76

Carlo Cudicini - 185 09/06/1973 Right Tottenham Italy 76

Michael Dawson - 188 18/11/1983 Right Tottenham England 80

Jermain Defoe - 169 10/07/1982 Right Tottenham England 81

Giovani dos Santos - 171 05/11/1989 Left Tottenham Mexico 78

Iago Falqué Silva Iago Falqué 174 01/04/1990 Left Tottenham Spain 74

Brad Friedel - 188 18/5/1971 Right Tottenham USA 81

William Gallas - 181 17/8/1977 Right Tottenham France 81

Tom Huddlestone - 188 28/12/1986 Right Tottenham England 80

Younès Kaboul - 188 01/04/1986 Right Tottenham France 76

Ledley King - 188 10/12/1980 Right Tottenham England 80

Niko Kranjčar - 185 13/8/1984 Right Tottenham Croatia 79

Aaron Lennon - 165 16/4/1987 Right Tottenham England 82

Jake Livermore - 180 14/11/1989 Right Tottenham England 64

Luka Modrić - 175 09/09/1985 Right Tottenham Croatia 88

Scott Parker - 175 13/10/1980 Right Tottenham England 82

Dean Parrett - 178 16/11/1991 Right Tottenham England 62

Roman Pavlyuchenko - 188 15/12/1981 Right Tottenham Russia 78

Steven Pienaar - 170 17/3/1982 Right Tottenham South Africa 80

Sandro R. G. Cordeiro Sandro 187 15/3/1989 Right Tottenham Brazil 78

Danny Rose - 173 07/02/1990 Left Tottenham England 71

Heurelho Silva Gomes Gomes 191 15/2/1981 Right Tottenham Brazil 80

Andros Townsend - 183 16/7/1991 Left Tottenham England 67

Rafael van der Vaart - 176 02/11/1983 Left Tottenham Netherlands 87

Kyle Walker - 178 28/5/1990 Right Tottenham England 76

Which makes Modric the 3rd best player in the PL.

psilva

MPW said:
ronaldinho 84
neymar 84

LOL
LOL because Ronaldinho has dropped so low, because Neymar is too high, or simply because they are the "same" now?

Those ratings seem pretty accurate to me.

Carbonox

ShallNoiseUpon said:
I feel dirty knowing that Spurs are a 5* team now. I'm going to be that guy who plays a 5* team now.

Apparently these are Spurs stats (stolen from Reddit):

:lol

rvy

Banned
ShallNoiseUpon said:
2mdhsp0.jpg1s2m.gif

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
ShallNoiseUpon said:

Didn't Fergie and Dalglish think he was the best last season? Anyway, the only Spurs ratings that are off are Assou-Ekotto and Van Der Vaart. The former is too low, the latter too high.

MPW

psilva said:
LOL because Ronaldinho has dropped so low, because Neymar is too high, or simply because they are the "same" now?

Those ratings seem pretty accurate to me.

both are too high

psilva

MPW said:
both are too high
I don't have a problem with your opinion but boy do I disagree. Honestly I think Ronaldinho is fine but Neymar I would argue could be an 86 even. Then again, who cares about these numbers hahaha.

JWong said:
Because they both don't play in Europe or something?
This.

Full disclosure: I'm a lifelong Santos fan and have seen every step of Neymar's career so far. I can't guarantee he's going to be the world player of the year once he gets to Europe, but I'm starting to change my mindset as to whether I care about that kind of stuff anymore. Simply put he's one outstanding motherfucking player, one that has been a joy to watch for the past couple of years, and has done things for the club (along with the help of Ganso, Robinho, Elano and the supporting cast*) that will be remembered in Brazil for decades.

*Clubs around the world would benefit from some of the talent that has been sticking around the country recently. There's simply more money to keep them home now.

Toma said:
Every PS3 player can also comment in this thread if he is simply looking for other PS3 players to play with. OP mentioned he might make a spreadsheet with the info if people are interested in sharing PSN account names for playing.

OP GONE DONE AND MADE A SPREADSHEET.

PS3 FIFAGAF User Database

If you're interested in playing with gaffers, but are not interested in the league you can put your information here:

Submission Form

and look up other users here:

Player List

If you want to put other information other than username, please add it to the comment box

JWong

Banned
psilva said:
I don't have a problem with your opinion but boy do I disagree. Honestly I think Ronaldinho is fine but Neymar I would argue could be an 86 even. Then again, who cares about these numbers hahaha.
I think it's ridiculous that he's so high on the rating when he's that young.

But then again, it's reflective of real life.

Top Bottom