• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 16 |OT| Mind the Pace

Bumhead

Banned
Nah mate. It's not a big deal at all. It's an annual release that sells a lot, but there certainly aren't queues around the street and mass media coverage every year. Think about when a new Halo game comes out, or a new GTA game. That's the sort of thing that warrants an abnormal simultaneous release.

Midnight launches happen for every game nowadays.

Well I disagree on the assessment that it's "not a big deal at all". Pretty sure every retailer in the country would disagree with that assessment as well.

FIFA, purely in terms of sales potential alone, is big enough to release just about when it wants. I mean that's kinda proven by the fact that it's officially out today in the UK rather than Friday (which is weirder than a Tuesday release). FIFA will sell plenty more than any other Tuesday release from this year.

Fuck Wednesday.

Bwahahaha! Cute!

Hope League One is treating you nicely.

Hasney

You joking?

Sells absolutley gangbusters every single year, across regions. Midnight openings across the UK. Individual retailers buying TV advertising space to say "Hey! Buy it from us!". Saw an advert from Amazon for it earlier and a couple of supermarkets near me have big signs up advertising it on sale this week.

Plenty of games that garner a minuscule percentage of FIFA's attention and sales power launch simultaneous with the U.S. on Tuesday's these days. It's definitely become more popular to do so. I've no idea why EA doesn't, but FIFA not being a big enough deal to warrant doing so is hilariously wrong.

Nah mate. It's not a big deal at all. It's an annual release that sells a lot, but there certainly aren't queues around the street and mass media coverage every year. Think about when a new Halo game comes out, or a new GTA game. That's the sort of thing that warrants an abnormal simultaneous release.

You're both kinda right. It was the second best selling game in the first half of this year in Europe, so it's a sales juggernaut. But because a lot of casual players make up that number, they don't run out and get it the first second it's available. Release day isn't a huge deal, but FIFA is a huge release.

Bumhead

Banned
You're both kinda right. It was the second best selling game in the first half of this year, so it's s ales juggernaut. But because a lot of casual players make up that number, they don't run out and get it the first second it's available. Release day isn't a huge deal, but FIFA is a huge release.

It's quite unique in that it does still sell a lot day one, but it does have legs as well. The sales potential of the game is a huge deal. It'll sell crazy amounts today, mind.

Retailers are actively competing for your attention for this game. Not as much as they were in the glory days about 5 or 6 years ago, but that still happens. I see Sainsbury's are selling it for £35 if you do a £30 shop there. Do any other games get that sort of advertised deal anymore? I can't even recall if COD does anymore.

Hasney

It's quite unique in that it does still sell a lot day one, but it does have legs as well. The sales potential of the game is a huge deal. It'll sell crazy amounts today, mind.

Retailers are actively competing for your attention for this game. Not as much as they were in the glory days about 5 or 6 years ago, but that still happens. I see Sainsbury's are selling it for £35 if you do a £30 shop there. Do any other games get that sort of advertised deal anymore? I can't even recall if COD does anymore.

Ghosts did, I remember that. No idea about the last one.

I remember them doing it for almost every release at one point though. Walking through Sainsbury's to pick up some food and they had some ridiculous offer on Medal of Honor of all fucking things.

Impulsor

Here in Spain there are queues and mass media coverage.

Plasma

Banned
Really dodgy stuff, mine got shipped yesterday morning too and I was expecting it to come today. But that explains it.

How do they know what's inside the package? I doubt SimplyGames told them to hold until release day..

Very strange, since when has it been Royal Mail's job to enforce street dates.

Hasney

Really dodgy stuff, mine got shipped yesterday morning too and I was expecting it to come today. But that explains it.

How do they know what's inside the package? I doubt SimplyGames told them to hold until release day..

Very strange, since when has it been Royal Mail's job to enforce street dates.

Got this from Digital Spy forums

I work for Royal Mail as a Postie, some of these came into our office today, And were pulled from delivery, seems Amazon sent them out too early and sent a memo out to offices telling the managers not to let them be delivered today.

Strange thing was they didn't seem to catch them all, the memo had actual addresses of the ones they wanted stopped, but we are pretty sure others not on the list were delivered.

Pachimari

Yeah, I'll link you to the APK I used. I believe it's because our screens are too big, lol.

http://www.file-upload.net/download-10913092/Companion.apk.html

Website in German, but the app is all in English.
Thank you very much. I'll try this out. :)
Do I need to connect to the game for the companion app to work?

This week's TOTW.
CPl9Bi2WwAAGFHH.png:orig
What does Team of the Week even do? Is it a sale?

Ok I work in retail store, we had some extra preorder codes for Ultimate Team.
I think these codes are PS4 for EU region, so use them if you wish. Reply in the thread if they worked please!

JACG-2LN6-LD37
23JH-QMNG-E4NC

Pachimari

I think these codes are PS4 for EU region, so use them if you wish. Reply in the thread if they worked please!

JACG-2LN6-LD37
23JH-QMNG-E4NC
You should hide them behind email tags so lurkers can't take them. I'm gonna see if they work.

[edit]
I took the first one. Thank you so much. :)

CoolOff

JACG-2LN6-LD37
23JH-QMNG-E4NC

Where would I redeem them?

Edit: Huh, nevermind then. :(

You should hide them behind email tags so lurkers can't take them. I'm gonna see if they work.

[edit]
I took the first one. Thank you so much. :)

It didn't occur to me that lurkerks would be here lol.
well I'm glad they worked. I'm actually in Russia and our PSN store has some differences with main EU one. Like we don't have Planetside 2 at all :[

anyways I'm glad it helped some of you enjoy the game :3

Hey all,

I'm going to take the plunge this year (Barnet fan) but was wondering with online modes, is it a free-for-all in terms of teams picked or can you set filters so you play against only League 2 teams, for example?

I'm only ever going to use Barnet but don't want to have endless Barnet vs Bayern, Barcelona, Real, etc matches.

Pachimari

I actually forgot the game were in it today. Unfortunately I can't participate until October 1.

Hey all,

I'm going to take the plunge this year (Barnet fan) but was wondering with online modes, is it a free-for-all in terms of teams picked or can you set filters so you play against only League 2 teams, for example?

I'm only ever going to use Barnet but don't want to have endless Barnet vs Bayern, Barcelona, Real, etc matches.
If you play Seasons, you will only go up against opponents with a similar star level to your team and people in the same division as you. If you are Barnet, you'll never meet Real Madrid and the likes.

I actually forgot the game were in it today. Unfortunately I can't participate until October 1.

If you play Seasons, you will only go up against opponents with a similar star level to your team and people in the same division as you. If you are Barnet, you'll never meet Real Madrid and the likes.
I wish there was an online filter for no Barcelona/Real Madrid, haha. If you play any five star team like Arsenal you will play against one of those two 90% of the time. Thankfully it's not as hard to deal with as 15 thanks to the reduced emphasis on pace.

Pachimari

I wish there was an online filter for no Barcelona/Real Madrid, haha. If you play any five star team like Arsenal you will play against one of those two 90% of the time. Thankfully it's not as hard to deal with as 15 thanks to the reduced emphasis on pace.
I play Real Madrid all the time, but can play with reserve players. But I constantly meet Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

Bert

Hey all,

I play exclusively as Coventry City. Beating someone playing as Real or Barca is extra fun :D

I play exclusively as Coventry City. Beating someone playing as Real or Barca is extra fun :D

I'm an Arsenal fan, but like to mix things up by using Alcorcón or Rayo Vallecano. The abusive and rage-filled messages I get after beating someone using a top team is major grin-inducing!

ACE 1991

So it was recommended to me that as a new player I should buy cheap bronze Series A players to build at least an okay team and then slowly start replacing them with gold players as I build up my team. Is this a good idea?

Double D

So it was recommended to me that as a new player I should buy cheap bronze Series A players to build at least an okay team and then slowly start replacing them with gold players as I build up my team. Is this a good idea?

Sure. How many coins do you currently have?

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Just played my first game, liked it but all 4 goals in the game were from dumb ass keeper/post rebounds. Is this a clear imbalance with the game others are experiencing or did I just get unlucky?

stay gold

Like 4K, so not much. I bought 3 gold players but I should probably just buy really cheap Series A bronze players to fill out the roster and work from there I imagine.

Just buy cheap players for now, you can get gold players but try to not pay much more than discard price (650). Over the next month or 2 the prices for most players will drop loads so it's pointless trying to build a great team right now.

ACE 1991

Just buy cheap players for now, you can get gold players but try to not pay much more than discard price (650). Over the next month or 2 the prices for most players will drop loads so it's pointless trying to build a great team right now.

Ok, thanks! So just going for bronze players in the same league is ok to start?

stay gold

Ok, thanks! So just going for bronze players in the same league is ok to start?

I wouldn't buy bronze players tbh. You can use the starter bronze players in single player, but online you're better off buying non-rare golds in the 300 - 400 price range, they don't cost much more and the players are going to be a lot better.

If you go online with a bronze team you'll inevitably end up playing teams full of golds and it's gonna be hard.

eldudebro

Been playing this for a few hours today.

Not feeling it to be honest. The defense AI seems as broken as FIFA 15 was.

Going to have to take a break from it before something gets smashed.....

Lender

Hmm, my pc installation appears to be stuck. Did the 3 cd's, went over to the actual installation of 13.39gb, but it's stuck at 10% (1.34gb) and it's been stuck on that number for over 15 minutes...

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'm absolutely loving playing offline this year.

Provides the same challenge as online

Having fun playing them both on UT

Moozo

Looks like nobody has received one from Simply Games. So they've either lied about dispatching it when they said they did or Royal Mail have coincidentally lost all of the Simply orders

Plasma

Banned
Looks like nobody has received one from Simply Games. So they've either lied about dispatching it when they said they did or Royal Mail have coincidentally lost all of the Simply orders

Didn't get mine today absolutely livid, I could have got it off of PSN Tuesday or ASDA after I finished work tonight now I have to wait for a copy that might not turn up.

I'm finding this one bloody hard going. I play on world class and have lost the last 5 games fairly convincingly. The passing is wayward for me, yet even teams like Huddersfield are keeping the ball like Barca at their peak.

It's the complete opposite of PES16 in which it is almost too easy to rack up cricket scores. I'm struggling to create much and the vast majority of my goals have been free kicks or corners, or scrappy rebounds.

I can feel there is a really good game here, and there are lots of great presentational touches, but it's going to take some getting used to.

Wreav

Banned
The change of pace and forcing to play through the middle this year is SO welcome.

I think they buffed crosses and headers a bit too much, but I'm actually kind of digging the variety of missed ground and through balls. Nothing is automatic, and you really have to decide if you want to make a pass or not in tight space.

Haven't played any mode except for Pro Clubs, but lower stamina is also translating to us keeping our formation shape much tighter than years past, which is awesome. No more 6 guys bombing forward every play, then running back on defense for 90 minutes. You have to be SO much more measured in your runs.

03sho

The keepers on crosses are superhuman. Always seem to get something on the ball.

Oh and I'm so glad they have nerfed pace

Lender

Just like I did with the previous Fifa's in the beginning: not feeling it. Can't do any backheels and stuff also. Used to be LB1 + pass button, but it's just not doing anything. THe button to call for another player pressuring my opponent has also been changed if I notice correctly. Shooting power has also been altered I believe.

Wreav

Banned
Just like I did with the previous Fifa's in the beginning: not feeling it. Can't do any backheels and stuff also. Used to be LB1 + pass button, but it's just not doing anything. THe button to call for another player pressuring my opponent has also been changed if I notice correctly. Shooting power has also been altered I believe.

Fancy passes have moved to L2+pass

So uh, I didn't get FIFA 15, and am thinking about getting this years one. I really only love playing Pro (moreso it's my addiction) and I'm wondering if that mode is any great (online mostly)? There were a number of things that always annoyed me about online, stuff like picking your player's position, waiting too long to enter matches and a few other things.

Basically, has Pro mode gotten better? Reviews rarely focus on Pro mode (and online improvements, if any).

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'm finding this one bloody hard going. I play on world class and have lost the last 5 games fairly convincingly. The passing is wayward for me, yet even teams like Huddersfield are keeping the ball like Barca at their peak.

It's the complete opposite of PES16 in which it is almost too easy to rack up cricket scores. I'm struggling to create much and the vast majority of my goals have been free kicks or corners, or scrappy rebounds.

I can feel there is a really good game here, and there are lots of great presentational touches, but it's going to take some getting used to.

Biggest learning curve of any FIFA IMO

Thank you very much. I'll try this out. :)
Do I need to connect to the game for the companion app to work?

You log into the companion app with your EA/Origin login, which is how it ties with your game.

What does Team of the Week even do? Is it a sale?

The FIFA Ultimate Team of the Week (TOTW) is released by EA each Wednesday, and represent players that have played well the previous week in real life.

These cards are released as 'In Form' for that week only, and have boosted stats and altered card art.

And it's very much different then a sale. :)
These players generally go for a lot more coins than their normal counter parts. So packing one of these bad boys can net you a lot of coins!

I'm absolutely loving playing offline this year.

Provides the same challenge as online

Having fun playing them both on UT

I agree. I played the free single player draft on Semi-Pro and won the first game pretty convingly, but as I went through it got slightly harder, where in I actually lost my 4th (last) match in the draft. I played against Chelsea and the game went back and forth into OT and then pens. It was thrilling, but I lost in the end.

My spoils were a jumbo gold pack and a regular gold pack.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think this is first time in years when it's a pleasure to play against AI teams, I love what they did here. Challenging, but very nice.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Is there still no way you can play 4 player (2 v 2) matches with people you know/from your friends list?

Didn't get my PS4 copy from Amazon today (first time they've ever let me down), so I've been using up the rest of my EA Access trial.

There's a real opportunity to punish players who spam the sprint button when you approach the end of the match. It can make for a scrappy game in the opening stages, but they soon run out of ideas when their stamina is depleted. While I'd agree that this game is suited to patient build-up play, driving forward with a nimble player also feels satisfying when you pick the right moment.

Best team I've used so far has got to be Everton. Strength is definitely favoured over pace this year, and a player like Lukaku was really effective at holding the ball up while I waited for support. Then you've got the likes of Naismith out wide, who can also hold his own, and Kone on the other side.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Whenever I try to cheese the AI by just trying to sprint and weave past them all with the ball, they shoulder me off of it like 9/10 times. Diggin it.

Top Bottom