• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 |OT| It's in the Switch

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Thanks ppl for the feedback on my speed question yesterday.

This whole gold coin crap really leaves me with an bad taste in my mouth honestly. I hear from friends and colleagues how much some kids spend on FUT. Honestly makes me hesitant to tacitly support this by buying the game even though I really want it.

The way they can sell it, really noticed it in last years FIFAs FUT. They are really really good at what they do. Better then other games I have seen try to do this. (Not I have really looked though)

But I haven't had my coffee yet and I will probably break and buy it before the week is over.

You can earn coins even if you lose. You just have to play games to earn them. Plus you can get coin boosters from the EA catalog. Plus you can get a lot of rewards from the challenges, including packs. You really don't need to spend real money unless you're impatient.

I know I don't need to spend cash, I haven't bought an pack ever in earlier FIFAs. That is part of why I am saying they are good at it. Games that are obvious at it are shortsighted and just plain bad at getting people to spend money. Adults can decide for themselves how much they want to put in and many feel the rewards for just playing the game are enough and frankly they are. However for youths, the race for getting the "best" players is much more murky and in an ideal world wouldn't have companies trying to exploit that.

Anyway this was just me feeling morose early in the morning, I am not going to sidetrack this thread any further or imply that somehow it is immoral to buy FIFA. It's not. (I am simply speaking for myself and how I feel about this. I really don't like gambling, I have known people suffering from it.)

Kakaroach

When does this officially go live in the states? I am so stoked and I'm figuring it will be sometime late tomorrow night? Or does it not go live at the same time it does in Europe? Gonna early download it now.

What does it really mean when Fifa on the Switch looks more like Fifa 16 in terms of gameplay? Granted I dont play much Fifa.. only when ever I'm at friends places and so on. But I just looked at split xbox / switch photage and outside of a graphical nerf the gameplay looks.. identical?

So if someone could explain :>

TAD

What does it really mean when Fifa on the Switch looks more like Fifa 16 in terms of gameplay? Granted I dont play much Fifa.. only when ever I'm at friends places and so on. But I just looked at split xbox / switch photage and outside of a graphical nerf the gameplay looks.. identical?

So if someone could explain :>
IIRC when they switched to Frostbite they changed they way animations transitioned and added more physics based stuff as well so everything is more fluid and less "gamey". The Switch version is lacking this but does seem to have the gameplay changes they've added since then, hence why it looks like an amalgimation of pre and post Frostbite.

Danchi

That Switch footage is from a CPU vs CPU game, right? Is it on semi-pro because the players seem absolutely braindead?

Bumhead

Banned
Good to see Switch impressions on the way.

Is anybody able to confirm if all the Premier League stadiums are in the Switch version? (plus the smaller smattering of Championship ones)

Man can't even find FIFA 18 at standard £40 RRP every store including online ones doing over £40 because they know this game will sell buttloads regardless every single year :/

Yeah it's crazy. Buying a game a quarter of the price of a console feels really wrong. I remember for a couple years circa 2010, the supermarkets were battling to sell FIFA for a low price ~ £25.

jariw

Found a Switch copy in a Supermarket. I'll report back when I get home.

What...? I have preordered the Switch retail version, and the store have it, but I can't get it from them until tomorrow.

BTW, although I now have almost 40 games on the Switch, FIFA 18 is the 2nd retail copy I'll buy (the first was BotW). Digital copies are so nice to just fire up, but FIFA is a bit too large to justify the space on the microSD.

jariw

40 games? Did you buy all the NeoGeo games or something?

No NeoGeo games.

Here's my current list if you're interested:
Steamworld Dig 2
Mario+Rabbids
Thimbleweed Park
Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+
Minecraft
Breath of the Wild
Sonic Mania
Robonauts
Overcooked!
Pan-Pan
VOEZ
Shantay: Half-Genie Hero
Blaster Master Zero
Snipperclips
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Ironcast
Piczle Lines
Forma.8
Tumbleseed
Strikers 1945
Astro Duel Deluxe
NBA Playgrounds
Gunbarich
Namco Museum
Mario Kart DX
Cave Story+
Flip Wars
Implosion
Death Squared
Bulb Boy
Puyo Puyo Tetris
World of Goo
Thumper
Disgaea 5 Complete
Snake Pass
Super Bomberman R
Graceful Explosion Machine
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
Fast RMX

(Of these games, all have been great fun except Namco Museum, Flip Wars, Gunbarich and NBA Playgrounds.)

This week, I'll get FIFA 18, Golf Story and Picross S.

Ravelle

No NeoGeo games.

Steamworld Dig 2
Mario+Rabbids
Thimbleweed Park
Minecraft
Breath of the Wild
Sonic Mania
Robonauts
Overcooked!
Pan-Pan
VOEZ
Blaster Master Zero
Snipperclips
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Ironcast
Piczle Lines
Forma.8
Tumbleseed
Strikers 1945
Astro Duel Deluxe
NBA Playgrounds
Gunbarich
Namco Museum
Mario Kart DX
Cave Story+
Flip Wars
Implosion
Death Squared
Bulb Boy
Puyo Puyo Tetris
World of Goo
Thumper
Disgaea 5 Complete
Snake Pass
Super Bomberman R
Fast RMX

(Of these games, all have been great fun except Namco Museum, Flip Wars, Gunbarich and NBA Playgrounds.)

There's a lot of indi games on the shop indeed, many of which I've never heard off, any in particular that's worth checking out?

Seronei

Waiting my key from cdkeys. Has anyone received his code yet?

I got mine, I didn't get a new email though. I just checked the link from my pre-order email and the key was there.

Is the game live on PC in any regions(and if so where?) so I can use VPN to download it? Thanks.

Xater

Alright played for a but and dicked around in FUT. So some quick impressions from the Switch version:

- Runs really well. Seems to hold the framerate consistently. Seems like they half it for replays and close up cutscenes though. The loading times are incredibly faster. Even faster than on my PC. I can't even attempt one of the mini games the game is already done loading.

- It seems slightly faster than the other versions. Defending is slightly easier and so far I would say the keepers are actually better. I am so far less likely to score from far away for example. Overall I think I actually prefer the way this version plats. Oh the players also feel like they react quicker to the inputs. Similar to PES, which might be because the animation system from the other versions isn't here.

- I do miss the quick substitutions. That as been a great addition in the other versions.

- FUT is slightly gimped it seems. The big exclusion are definitely the Squad Battles. A real shame those aren't here. I also don't see daily challenges. Otherwise it seems like everything is intact.

Overall a good first effort from EA. Even if they can't get the Journey on this thing I hope we get mode parity next year. That really has to be their prime objective.

Kurt

Alright played for a but and sucked around in FUT. So some quick impressions from the Switch version:

- Runs really well. Seems to hold the framerate consistently. Seems like they half it for replays and close up cutscenes though. The loading times are incredibly faster. Even faster than on my PC. I can't even attempt one of the mini games the game is already done loading.

- It seems slightly faster than the other versions. Defending is slightly easier and so far I would say the keepers are actually better. I am so far less likely to score from far away for example. Overall I think I actually prefer the way this version plats. Oh the players also feel like they react quicker to the inputs. Similar to PES, which might be because the animation system from the other versions isn't here.

- I do miss the quick substitutions. That as been a great addition in the other versions.

- FUT is slightly gimped it seems. The big exclusion are definitely the Squad Battles. A real shame those aren't here. I also don't see daily challenges. Otherwise it seems like everything is intact.

Overall a good first effort from EA. Even if they can't get the Journey on this thing I hope we get mode parity next year. That really has to be their prime objective.

Is there a co-op online mode in it where you can play with 2 players with one switch system online?

frankMX

Alright played for a but and sucked around in FUT. So some quick impressions from the Switch version:

How smooth playing online games?Is matchmaking quick enough?

jariw

Sounds really good! Portable FIFA with long loading times would defeat the purpose IMO.

There's a lot of indi games on the shop indeed, many of which I've never heard off, any in particular that's worth checking out?

Sorry, for the off-topic, but sure: Steamworld Dig 2 is probably the safest bet right now (if you haven't played it already). That's a really really good game with an enormous amount of polish.
Otherwise:
Fast RMX is you like racing games.
Ironcast if you like turn-based battle strategy games.
Thimbleweed Park if you like Monkey Island-type adventures.
Thumper if you like a rhythm-based challenge.
VOEZ if you want a more traditional rhythm game (currently touch-screen only, though).
Pan-Pan if you want a small pure-puzzle adventure without hand holding.
Strikers 1945 if you want a retro shmup.
Graceful Explosion Machine if you want another kind of shmup.
Thumbleseed if you want a challenging but fair rougelike.
Snake Pass if you want a different kind of 3D platformer.
Shovel Knight if you want a solid 2D platformer.
Overcooked! or Death Squared if you want a good multiplayer co-op game.

While waiting for FIFA 18 to arrive... :)

Kiraly

Is there a Be a Pro mode with playing as the whole team on the Switch version? Always hated that playing a single player mode, but like to create my own player.

Xater

Is there a co-op online mode in it where you can play with 2 players with one switch system online?

Doesn't look like it.

How smooth playing online games?Is matchmaking quick enough?

No idea. The game isn't officially out so I have not tried online. There are like 98 players on the FUT market right now for example.

Is there a Be a Pro mode with playing as the whole team on the Switch version? Always hated that playing a single player mode, but like to create my own player.

Yup, you can totally do that. Career modes look identical in here. Would have to check if the trainer negotiations are in here. My guess would be they aren't Online Pro League seems to be missing though.

Kurt

Doesn't look like it.

No idea. The game isn't officially out so I have not tried online. There are like 98 players on the FUT market right now for example.

Yup, you can totally do that.

So which online modes are there? thanks btw

Edit : ignore, too fast

Bumhead

Banned
Did you get chance to check the stadiums mate?

It seems almost ridiculous to ask but I feel like that's the sort of thing that might be first for the chop from any "cut down" version of the game. I'm not sure I could go back to career mode without all the Premier League and some Championship stadiums.

Appreciate all the impressions though. Depending on the answer to the above, think I'll buy on Switch.

Xater

It seems almost ridiculous to ask but I feel like that's the sort of thing that might be first for the chop from any "cut down" version of the game. I'm not sure I could go back to career mode without all the Premier League and some Championship stadiums.

Appreciate all the impressions though. Depending on the answer to the above, think I'll buy on Switch.

There are over 50 stadium here. I am not going to write all if them down.

His version also seems to be missing the meta leveling of your account. You know the stuff that Dan get you coin boosters or items for your pro. That's kinda shitty. Make making money early hard.

They're all on there.

Shari

Got my key finally.

Anybody knows when do we get to access it? If I recall correctly last year we could vpn our way in...

jorgejjvr

No NeoGeo games.

Steamworld Dig 2
Mario+Rabbids
Thimbleweed Park
Minecraft
Breath of the Wild
Sonic Mania
Robonauts
Overcooked!
Pan-Pan
VOEZ
Blaster Master Zero
Snipperclips
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Ironcast
Piczle Lines
Forma.8
Tumbleseed
Strikers 1945
Astro Duel Deluxe
NBA Playgrounds
Gunbarich
Namco Museum
Mario Kart DX
Cave Story+
Flip Wars
Implosion
Death Squared
Bulb Boy
Puyo Puyo Tetris
World of Goo
Thumper
Disgaea 5 Complete
Snake Pass
Super Bomberman R
Fast RMX

Great list of games.

Got a top 10?

jts

...hate me...
Come on now with the Switch stuff. I’m excited for the game on Switch and all but this is a general thread for Fifa. Just my 2 cents but I think it can drive people away.

jariw

Great list of games.

Got a top 10?

A list today would probably be something like:
Breath of the Wild
Steamworld Dig 2
Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Overcooked!
Ironcast
Splatoon 2
Thumper
Disgaea 5 Complete
Tumbleseed
Sonic Mania or Minecraft

Hoping to be able to place FIFA 18, hybrid edition on that list soon!

Loris146

After a huge shitstorm EA fixed the Goat ( 5 stars in skills and weak foot)

DKw8tJAVYAI9abj.jpg:large

Is this the official Fifa 18 thread? Or the switch version of it?

Weird it hasnt been created yet if that's he case, Pre-ordered our version as we just play it for Pro clubs now, Probably won't be any changes to that mode like usual, Hopefully something in the catalogue to spend all those points on.

More importantly i wonder if the glitch will work to get all traits again on your player.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Man I'm loving the story mode in this one again. Played all the up to the stopping point in the EA trial. I'm gonna have to buy this stat

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Weird it hasnt been created yet if that's he case, Pre-ordered our version as we just play it for Pro clubs now, Probably won't be any changes to that mode like usual, Hopefully something in the catalogue to spend all those points on.

More importantly i wonder if the glitch will work to get all traits again on your player.

It's the official FIFA 18 OT. Just the subtitle was switched.

Xater

Here is a funny "feature" of the Switch version. When two differently sized players celebrate together, the smaller guy starts to float to make it work. Happens every time. 🤣

Here is a funny "feature" of the Switch version. When two differently sized players celebrate together, the smaller guy starts to float to make it work. Happens every time. 🤣
As you mention celebrating, is there a special cinematic like in the other versions if you run to the advertising hoardings or a cameraman after you score?

dealer-

This is the OT for all versions. There is just more people posting here this year due to the Switch release.

jariw

It was quite a while since I played a FIFA game: what's the current post-release content strategy for EA regarding FIFA? DLC? Seasons pass? Free updates? No content updates?

Xater

As you mention celebrating, is there a special cinematic like in the other versions if you run to the advertising hoardings or a cameraman after you score?

Have 't really tried. You can run around though and hit the celebrate button at any time you want, so I assume they must have context based celebrations.

It was quite a while since I played a FIFA game: what's the current post-release content strategy for EA regarding FIFA? DLC? Seasons pass? Free updates? No content updates?

Nothing. They update the rosters and add new cards to FUT. That's it.

Top Bottom