• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fight over 360's by local dorks @ Walmart cancels sales

acidviper

Banned
ELKTON, Maryland (AP) -- A melee erupted among a crowd of shoppers in the rush for the new Xbox 360 video game console at a Wal-Mart Supercenter in northeast Maryland. It took 10 police officers to restore order. A crowd of about 300 people waited as much as 12 hours for the game, considered a must-have item this holiday season, to go on sale at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday. But an announcement from a store manager that the Xboxes would be sold on a first-come, first-served basis, instead of using a number system devised by customers, triggered the mayhem. "That's when all hell broke loose," said Ben DiSabatino IV, a 23-year-old Bear, Delaware, resident, who had been waiting in line since 4 p.m. Some customers were knocked down and trampled, though there were no serious injuries, said Elkton Police Lt. Lawrence Waldridge. Wal-Mart canceled the sale and police ordered everyone to leave.

Sony?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Jack_Thompson.jpg

Games cause violence!

:lol

aoi tsuki

Two things come to mind:

1. i hope Black Friday is like this... i'll have my camera ready.
2. A few more stories like this and the 360 is on it's way to Tickle Me Elmo status.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
ELKTON, Maryland (AP) -- A melee erupted among a crowd of shoppers in the rush for the new Xbox 360 video game console at a Wal-Mart Supercenter in northeast Maryland. It took 10 police officers to restore order. A crowd of about 300 people waited as much as 12 hours for the game, considered a must-have item this holiday season, to go on sale at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday. But an announcement from a store manager that the Xboxes would be sold on a first-come, first-served basis, instead of using a number system devised by customers, triggered the mayhem. "That's when all hell broke loose," said Ben DiSabatino IV, a 23-year-old Bear, Delaware, resident, who had been waiting in line since 4 p.m. Some customers were knocked down and trampled, though there were no serious injuries, said Elkton Police Lt. Lawrence Waldridge. Wal-Mart canceled the sale and police ordered everyone to leave.

Oh my god! I was there! Let me explain the events that took place. I got there around 8 pm and there was about 20 customers outside sitting around but not in a line. So I went into the store to find out what was the set up. After trying to stop several employees that just gave me "I am not sure" answer, I saw a sign in the electronics section. The sign said that at 11:15 pm they would give out tickets and that the Xbox 360 would be sold at register 22. So we were told if you were wait for the Xbox 360 that you had to wait outside in the rain. So we decided to make a line at the doors closest to Register 22 since that is where the 360's would be sold. So you had organized line of about 10 and a group of 20 that was spread out but not waiting at an entrance. Now this is where it gets messed, the group of 20 was there all day so they deserved to get the systems 1st and come to find out that the Walmart received 48 units, so I figured great I will get one. Now the whole time we are out there a Walmart manager came out at least 4 times tell us to keep the doors clear for customers and never said anything about where the line started, so we figured we were good. Later on more and more people started showing up, around 100 so the manager came out said they are move up the time to give tickets to 10:30 pm. About 10 pm we have 100 plus people outside and there are 2 lines and the next thing you know another Walmart manager comes out and said that the line for the Xbox 360 is over by the fire doors which took everyone by surprise and next thing you know you about 75 customers running over to those doors. So after that I was pissed off because I went from being about the 30th customer to being the 90th. So I just decided that I just got screwed and decided to leave, but I had few nice words for the Walmart manager first. Now I did leave before the big time fight broke out because I was going to try to get one at Circuit City in the morning. So there you have it, lack of cumminication by the Walmart employees is what caused this whole thing. I hate Walmart!

PS. I still haven't gotten a 360 yet!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
In all honesty, and it's been said before.. why not just pre-order the damn thing to be assured that you'll have one?

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
speedpop said:
In all honesty, and it's been said before.. why not just pre-order the damn thing to be assured that you'll have one?

I preordered at Gamestop in JUNE, but there are telling me that I will not get one until after Christmas! Any other great suggestions?

Fifty

speedpop said:

Because, and it's been said before, preorders are no assurance you're have one if you want a system at launch.

evil ways

That was fucked up of Walmart, to basically nearly cause a riot, but it doesn't excuse people's stupidity for something that will be available in huge quantities in 2 to 3 months.

Juice

Gunstar77 said:
Oh my god! I was there! Let me explain the events that took place. I got there around 8 pm and there was about 20 customers outside sitting around but not in a line. So I went into the store to find out what was the set up. After trying to stop several employees that just gave me "I am not sure" answer, I saw a sign in the electronics section. The sign said that at 11:15 pm they would give out tickets and that the Xbox 360 would be sold at register 22. So we were told if you were wait for the Xbox 360 that you had to wait outside in the rain. So we decided to make a line at the doors closest to Register 22 since that is where the 360's would be sold. So you had organized line of about 10 and a group of 20 that was spread out but not waiting at an entrance. Now this is where it gets messed, the group of 20 was there all day so they deserved to get the systems 1st and come to find out that the Walmart received 48 units, so I figured great I will get one. Now the whole time we are out there a Walmart manager came out at least 4 times tell us to keep the doors clear for customers and never said anything about where the line started, so we figured we were good. Later on more and more people started showing up, around 100 so the manager came out said they are move up the time to give tickets to 10:30 pm. About 10 pm we have 100 plus people outside and there are 2 lines and the next thing you know another Walmart manager comes out and said that the line for the Xbox 360 is over by the fire doors which took everyone by surprise and next thing you know you about 75 customers running over to those doors. So after that I was pissed off because I went from being about the 30th customer to being the 90th. So I just decided that I just got screwed and decided to leave, but I had few nice words for the Walmart manager first. Now I did leave before the big time fight broke out because I was going to try to get one at Circuit City in the morning. So there you have it, lack of cumminication by the Walmart employees is what caused this whole thing. I hate Walmart!

PS. I still haven't gotten a 360 yet!

Your unfortunate anecdote sustains me.

shpankey

not an idiot
Wal-Mart is really bad about this. They tried to pull this shit at the wal-mart I was at also. Luckily, we all organized ourselves and basically honored the line we had.

Sometimes I think these managers get off on this shit.

suikodan

Even though the Walmart I bought my system from gave ticket to the first comers (I got my #3 ticket at 6:00 AM and the store was opening at 8), we had to tell the manager to call out the numbers by order for the firstcomers to pay first and get out first. At least he got it the first time. :lol

Prine

Banned
I can imagine the simpsons riot music (whenever millhouse and bart end up fighting) playing in the background while all hell breaks loose

bill0527

Yeah this was really fucked up the way Wal-Mart did this. They did the same thing at my local store according to some people that came from Wal-Mart and joined us in the line at Target. The people in line made a numbered list and the Wal-Mart manager came out and got all shitty with them and said they wouldn't honor the list.

We did a numbered list at Target and the manager honored it when they started handing out tickets. The only thing that pissed me off is that several people at the top of the list went home around 1am to sleep and then came back around 6am, while those of us at the middle and back of the list stood out there all night in the 30 degree rain/snow.

TheDuce22

Banned
One of the walmarts i was at let people wait in line for hours only to tell them they were doing a lottery. People were PISSED!

Jewbacca

Banned
A company conference call with Target happened late monday night and upon store closing our managers had to tell people outside how many xboxens360 we had.

Raistlin

It was actually really civil at the Walmart I lined up at.

The first guy was a Walmart employee - so I think that helped a lot with the organization. The guy was NUTS!!! :lol

He works the over night shift. So when he got out (7am Monday morning), he set up a chair next to the door. Once he got his X-box Premium just after midnight, he had to start his next shift!!!

We kept track of who the 14 where, and held all encroachers at bay. Everyone was sharing stuff - someone bought a 12 pack of soda, another was passing out beers, one ordered a pizza (to be delivered to "the walmart parking lot" :lol), we were passing around a mini hair-dryer to warm up, etc.

Really great group of guys ...

Raistlin

One of the Walmarts by me had 14 people lined up at noon ... so they gave them the tickets and told them to come back at midnight.

They didn't need to wait for shit!!

AssMan

Banned
Sometimes I think these managers get off on this shit.

Works for me. I work at Sam's Club, and there were little over 20 people waiting until the next morning for a 360. We only had 20, and I go outside to tell them that we only have 20 available, they just shrugged and thought I didn't know what I was talking about. The next morning, I go into work and people are complaining that they waited all night and morning for a 360, and I just walked by and laughed.

Matlock

Banned
Haha, oh man. Gunstar--condolences, but that's kinda funny to hear how the Wal-Mart manager completely fucked everything.

Almost happened in the Wal-Mart I was at with a woman saying that we only had a "chance" to get one and reiterating that over and over again.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
This kind of thing would never happen with Nintendo people. ...or Rush fans.

KingJ2002

at the target i went to... the same thing happened... except it didnt escalate to violence.

somebody in line took numbers to organize things.

target manager comes out and says first come first serve... and people in the back ran to the front door... but luckily most people lining up there were mature and talked to the manager about the numbering system... she agreed and everybody lined up by number.

all went well... except for a few late comers who decided to write numbers on their hands and cut the line.

Top Bottom