• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of three Western developers can make a fighting game right now and have it be successful right out of the gate due to their own brand recognition:

Blizzard
Riot
Valve

They also have a slew of characters that they own which can be used in the fighting game.

And these being PC developers mean they will put legit effort into the PC version which means bigger initial install base.

Do you think these developers have enough pull where they can release a fighting game in the same state as SFV and break records?

Dahbomb

Do you think these developers have enough pull where they can release a fighting game in the same state as SFV and break records?
Hell yes.

Blizzard released Diablo 3 in worse shape than SFV and still broke records.

Riot hasn't really released many games but Valve and Blizzard can produce a ton of sales on their name alone.

One of three Western developers can make a fighting game right now and have it be successful right out of the gate due to their own brand recognition:

Blizzard
Riot
Valve

They also have a slew of characters that they own which can be used in the fighting game.

And these being PC developers mean they will put legit effort into the PC version which means bigger initial install base.

You forgot Nether Realm

Dahbomb

You forgot Nether Realm
I should've specified out of the developers who have not yet made a fighting game. So I was purposely excluding NRS and Iron Galaxy.

Though to be honest I am skeptical that either can produce a brand new fighting game with small amount of content and still have record breaking sales. NRS gets a lot of mileage out of making sequels to a series with a ton of brand recognition (MK) and has another series that works off of a major property... Iron Galaxy also has the KI brand though not nearly as big.

The only company who has made somewhat successful brand new fighters recently is ASW. Even Capcom has not managed to do that.

Skab

If Blizzard made a fighter I think I would rather them make it a new IP/original characters instead of just another crossover.

Casuals aren't intimidated by FPS like they are fighting games so yes it does just pertain to fighting games. Fighting games online are ZERO fun for noobs. They get slaughtered and the learning curve is way steeper than in FPS titles. At least when they are initially slaughtered in FPS they are able to learn from their mistakes far quicker because of less emphasis on execution skill and inputs in the genre. There is still skill needed but its not nearly the same type of stuff as making up combos, performing resets, and blocking mixups which is shit casuals just never really get into without a lot of help. Fighting games require a long ass tutorial and a dictionary of terminology and concepts to get folks over the hump unlike FPS.

Apples to Oranges comparing FPS to fighting games.

I still don't think the only reason SFV sold poorly is lack of content since thats just one part of the layers of issues, but i was just checking to make sure your point was more about fighting games and not games in general.

But yeah your point here is right tho.

You know, I kinda just think SFV shouldn't have been a thing yet. Like it feels as if there should've been another Capcom fighter between USFIV and SFV.

Hell yes.

Blizzard released Diablo 3 in worse shape than SFV and still broke records.

Riot hasn't really released many games but Valve and Blizzard can produce a ton of sales on their name alone.

Just like FF14, D3 got a lot better once it had someone new at the helm to guide the game. After Jay Wilson left, the game eventually got better. I remember them bragging they didn't test Inferno and saying none of their testers can beat it. Which is hilarious because when people did beat it, they tried all their effort to do constant nerf bats on top of not addressing shit for awhile about the imbalances in their game design. So people would need to basically rely on AH to get anything progress, since stuff like Legendaries had shit drop rate and even shittier stats.

Even though Ono or whoever is actually directing the game might be working on the franchise on a while, but maybe the series could do better with someone who is more in tune with the franchise needs.I enjoy actually playing SF5, which is more I can say about the state of Vanilla D3, even though I beat Inferno when it sucked a huge bag of dicks for completions sake.

FACE

Banned

Blizzard
Riot
Valve

And I doubt any of them would make a good fighting game.

Beats

Caught up on Yipes playing SG for the first time. It's cool that he seemed to enjoy it a lot and it looks like there were a bunch of people helping him out in the chat with whatever questions he had. SonicFox showing him how brutal the game and each character can be in online training was kinda amusing too lol.

JeTmAn81

Caught up on Yipes playing SG for the first time. It's cool that he seemed to enjoy it a lot and it looks like there were a bunch of people helping him out in the chat with whatever questions he had. SonicFox showing him how brutal the game and each character can be in online training was kinda amusing too lol.

Was there a stream for this?

Edit: NM, it was on Yipes's Twitch

petran79

Banned
Casuals aren't intimidated by FPS like they are fighting games so yes it does just pertain to fighting games. Fighting games online are ZERO fun for noobs. They get slaughtered and the learning curve is way steeper than in FPS titles. At least when they are initially slaughtered in FPS they are able to learn from their mistakes far quicker because of less emphasis on execution skill and inputs in the genre. There is still skill needed but its not nearly the same type of stuff as making up combos, performing resets, and blocking mixups which is shit casuals just never really get into without a lot of help. Fighting games require a long ass tutorial and a dictionary of terminology and concepts to get folks over the hump unlike FPS.

Apples to Oranges comparing FPS to fighting games.

It is also the teamwork and the environment. I used to visit a net cafe and it was packed with kids and teens who made teams playing with each other or against other players. MMORPG games as well.
In the case of Overwatch it was also much more affordable to play it in that environment, rather than paying full price and being limited at home (homework, parents etc) and usually with a low quality PC/laptop.

It also had consoles so they could play sports games.
But while sports games rely on real player licenses and FPS rely on teamwork, FG would rarely fit in that environment, in contrast to the arcade days.

shaowebb

Aw...looks like one of the voice actors on Injustice 2 leaked in his interview that Static Shock is NOT in the game.

Pray for DLC folks.

the only reason I can think of for them not including Static is if Raiden is the guest character this time and they didn't want two electric dudes

We're going to have this boring conversation forever.

Pretty hilarious though.

As if Valve makes games and Blizzard has no reason to make a fighting game let alone either having an understanding for what makes a fighting game good.

Overwatch is 20tick servers, for a shooter that's absolutely embarrassing. People complain about SF online, Blizzard's would be a joke.

Sayad

Pretty hilarious though.

As if Valve makes games and Blizzard has no reason to make a fighting game let alone either having an understanding for what makes a fighting game good.

Overwatch is 20tick servers, for a shooter that's absolutely embarrassing. People complain about SF online, Blizzard's would be a joke.

The future of fighting games rest in Riot's hand! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

What's the easiest way to play Red Earth/Warzard?

It's a game I've often seen and wanted to try, but as far as I know was never released on a console.

Sayad

Another L for America, congrats CCL !
t1owZ8G.png

https://twitter.com/Chris_Tatarian/status/762319696628682752

Chris T is upset. Wonder what does he think of Ken's air ex tatsu?!

GreenScar

the only reason I can think of for them not including Static is if Raiden is the guest character this time and they didn't want two electric dudes

Static is a Milestone character. DC just sometimes licences/distributes them. It's not impossible for him to show up in an Injustice game, but it's more trouble than it'd be worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom