• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Urien doesn't even have the metal blocking sounds. That's SF since SF4 though. SF lost a lot of its charm as Capcom got lazier. Who do we blame? Ono?

Urien's c.mp is really really good. Great range, great hit/hurtbox ration, even on block, moves him forward, special cancelable, comboable on hit, allows him to keep charge and decently fast. Surprised as hell THAT button didn't get nerfed but c.mk did.

SF lost a lot of its charm as Capcom got lazier. Who do we blame? Ono?

Capcom only got "lazier" if you intentionally focus on stuff that was lost, while completely ignoring ALL the stuff that was added.

Yes, we lost the metal clanking sounds. In exchange we have a 2 hour ANIMATED FILM in which Urien walks, talks, interacts with characters he never interacted with before, and basically comes alive before your very eyes.

I don't think "lazy" is the right word.

mbpm1

Capcom only got "lazier" if you intentionally focus on stuff that was lost, while completely ignoring ALL the stuff that was added.

Yes, we lost the metal clanking sounds. In exchange we have a 2 hour ANIMATED FILM in which Urien walks, talks, interacts with characters he never interacted with before, and basically comes alive before your very eyes.

I don't think "lazy" is the right word.

We aren't watching the story every time we play a non-story match. Which is most of the playtime.

Zissou

I did a post on twitter again about character art/design and I figured I should post it here (and do it better) since you like them most of the time and we are talking about Urien misplaced things (not his dick, sorry).

Personal opinion as usual.

So most of you know that Urien and Gill are brothers and the two faces of the same coin, thus they share the same body type which is inspired by the greek sculpture depicting heroes naked. The easier reference is of course Michelangelo's David as he depicted David (around 1500) before he fights Goliath. David was in a pre-battle position with tense muscles, veins, and a fierce look etc...
Also Michelangelo was doing large faces and hands which are typical tropes found in SF, even if it's more of a coincidence.

Being a great artist, Ikeno (maybe without noticing) managed to do something similar with SF3's Urien art.

Also look at how they watch their opponent :

I also like to thing that in some arts Urien also carries the dramatic look/tone of greek statues.

So why am I writing all this? Well because I think Capcom missed it with Urien in SF5. I remember hearing people saying they wanted Urien in a suit and I admit I'm one of them, but not as the default costume. For me, Urien's perfect body is the most classy thing ever as he REALLY looks unreal compared to others chars. This is especially true in Third Strike where Alex and Hugo have twisted muscles/poses, Necro and Twelve are twisting their bodies, Oro is thin, etc...

In Third Strike you may have notice that Urien doesn't have a still stance but one with two slightly different position:

Vrv4rJe.gif

In SF5, he lost it:

This very little, very subtle back movement deforming the abs is what made this stance work and gives an amazing first impression when you see the character. He is perfect. In SF5 he lost the pose that shows his muscles and characterizes him a lot while giving him this perfect/surreal anatomy. He also stand like a stick in a fighting pose and expresses no force at all.

So there you are. We won the suit, but I think we lost more than we gained.

Also this is shit :

I always assumed the thinking behind the design was "We wanna put Cars from Jojo as the final boss of the game! Let's make him colorful so nobody notices" and thus they made Gill:

Cars from Jojo said:

And then they thought, "We went through all the work of animating this guy. Let's reuse the animation to make a non-broken playable character. How can we make sure he's distinct? Let's remove 99% of his hair!" and thus Urien was born.

pizzacat

Banned
Urien's c.mp is really really good. Great range, great hit/hurtbox ration, even on block, moves him forward, special cancelable, comboable on hit, allows him to keep charge and decently fast. Surprised as hell THAT button didn't get nerfed but c.mk did.
C.mk was hella long. What did they nerf tho? No more special cancellable?

Also kars*

Urien is wamuu with shorter hair

He won last week

not special cancellable now

RIP Cr. Mk fxx ireball footsies

Nah. The reason they nerfed it wasn't because it was a strong footsie tool it was because of the double headbutt and extend Aegis combos. I found it odd that move was cancelable to begin with. His c.lk is actually a better footsie tool anyway.

I always assumed the thinking behind the design was "We wanna put Cars from Jojo as the final boss of the game! Let's make him colorful so nobody notices" and thus they made Gill:

And then they thought, "We went through all the work of animating this guy. Let's reuse the animation to make a non-broken playable character. How can we make sure he's distinct? Let's remove 99% of his hair!" and thus Urien was born.

That's probably right too. Jojo influenced so many fighting games characters it's hard to miss it. I still think that if in the case of Gill and Urien they distanced themselves from Jojo. Jojo's bodies are muscular but are more grotesque/twisted/dramatic than Gill and Urien. If they aren't slender like greek statues their poses and attitude are much closer to them than the pillar mens in jojo (who basically pose like strippers).

NEO0MJ

If they aren't slender like greek statues their poses and attitude are much closer to them than the pillar mens in jojo (who basically pose like strippers).

Well Araki is known to trace a lot so I wouldn't be surprised if he looked up playboy for help.

Also when's KI character design post?

I'm watching WNF for the first time in like 6 month and it is unbearably bad. If there is no top player drama SFV might as well be the cure for insomnia.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

And then they thought "Let's do it again and throw in another pillar man!" And we got Necalli.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
why write about marvel in 2016 instead of kof, KI or tekken? and do all GB guest articles open with selfies or is there something wrong with the mobile formatting

MK getting shit on in the comments :/

Apparently 3D fighter aren't right for anyone.
Also he says people start with Street Fighter & move to other games? That's fuckin bullshit. As someone who has been in this community a long as time Street Fighter players are the LEAST likely to try other games.
You know...that's pretty legit criticism. I read it in a "neat that someone is explaining footsies on this general gaming site" kind of way.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
pat in the comments:
"cvs2 is the best kof game"

this opinion is right up there with that 3S pic

Doomshine

why write about marvel in 2016 instead of kof, KI or tekken? and do all GB guest articles open with selfies or is there something wrong with the mobile formatting

That was pretty much my reaction lol, I suppose I knew what I was in for when the accompanying picture for the article on twitter was a screenshot of Marvel.

As for the selfie, they've done these guest columns for some time now and I think they usually open with a picture of the author.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom