• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

Bad Sayad, bad!

h0DD34215_zpsc979264e.gif~c200

Hum Aganos and Eyedol are maybe the most interesting ones, the others are pretty obvious. What would you want to know about all those characters?

Oh, just a usual character design analysis where you dig into inspiration, gleam clever insight into the design, find hidden details,and go over what they did right and what they did wrong.

Line_HTX

Nice guest column on Giant Bomb:
What Fighting Game Is Right for Me?

Fuck this article for not having a section on Tekken.

Apparently 3D fighter aren't right for anyone.
Also he says people start with Street Fighter & move to other games? That's fuckin bullshit. As someone who has been in this community a long as time Street Fighter players are the LEAST likely to try other games.

Highest numbers in tourneys, probably lowest number of crossovers that are NOT Smash or Marvel.

Makes me glad that ChrisG makes Marvel watchable and plays KOF too like Xian.

Tornix

Apparently 3D fighter aren't right for anyone.
Also he says people start with Street Fighter & move to other games? That's fuckin bullshit. As someone who has been in this community a long as time Street Fighter players are the LEAST likely to try other games.

Sadly pretty on point from my experience. I've been able to get them to branch out recently, but they go back to SF after about a month.

Marvel would not be as compelling to me if they didn't have the players and personalities.
Its really the community, TheGods, Viscant and Yipes that make the game for me.

Malice215

Patrick most likely wrote about the games he's most familiar with, so a good chunk of fighting games aren't mentioned. Still, the best way to find out which fighting game is right for you is to play it for yourself and form your own opinion.

Maybe someone should write an article on the games that weren't mentioned.

We aren't watching the story every time we play a non-story match. Which is most of the playtime.

How does that make it any more or less "lazy"?

Also, story mode isn't the only place where the game exhibits charm and personality, obviously.

In game vocals, animations, win quotes...

The stage transitions. The background cameos (there are frickin' Rival School characters and Judgement Girls).

The way everything in the shop is described by Dan.

Every time you enter training mode your character says something once the stage loads. ("I'll win da next one, too" - Alex)

The way Ryu actually closes his eyes when using his "Mind's Eye" parry.

The details are there. You guys just aren't trying to see them.

mbpm1

Also, story mode isn't the only place where the game exhibits charm and personality, obviously.

The stage transitions. The background cameos (there are frickin' Rival School characters and Judgement Girls).

Every time you enter training mode your character says something once the stage loads. ("I'll win da next one, too" - Alex)

None of that is equivalent or substitute to things like custom intros, is the point.

Anne

Pat comes from a very specific set of places which make sense why his article looks like this. I like Pat quite a bit, some of my favorite pieces in fighting game wirting in general are his about being an average joe at events, but I have to admit his scope has been pretty limited lately. He's really sticking to his thing and this one kinda shows he's not as encompassing.

Idk, I know I'm small bit whatever writer myself with editing issues, but just my thoughts. Love Pat, but I think it'd be nice to see him branch out from talking about getting into this specific fighting game pool again.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
This bit makes no sense.

Learning a Guilty Gear character is a lifelong investment. (I learned Chipp combos 13 years ago that still serve me well.)

By that logic, it takes me 10 hours to drive to work because I left the house 10 hours ago and now I'm at work.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Nah because 1)Alex navarros favorite fg is some wrestling garbage, 2)Alex Navarro is probably the reason why he got that editorial published
i don't think the first part is directed at Alex. just seems like he's acting like a baby about people not liking his article.

FACE

Banned
The article is titled "What Fighting Game is Right for Me", but when I scrolled down I saw a picture of SSBM. I'm confused.

Shadoken

The way Ryu actually closes his eyes when using his "Mind's Eye" parry

These two are actually cool. The characters seem to say something they would if they were training. Like Charlie says something about recognizing patterns in movement or something. Didnt know about Ryu parry thats a Neat touch.

I was hoping Urien block sound would make it in , considering they added a screen shake effect to show the power of Balrog's punches. Unique stuff like that for each character is cool.

No Metallic block sounds was a missed opportunity for Capcom.

pizzacat

Banned

The in game vocals only come from the training mode, why? Alex does say "I'll win the next one too" but next what? Next lab session?

What is the stage transitioning from? It's just a KO animation

Okay they're using terrible models to represent games they'll never make again and sprites they'll never bring back.

Is Dan some type of omnipotent being? Where is he? How does he know all of this?

Ryu closing his eye for each parry is just him hoping it works 🙏🏻

Sfv is the worrrrsst

Tripon

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=217798055#post217798055

Tournament Thread for the weekend. EGX (Premier tournament), Never Give up (Ranking event), VSL the fist season 2 (Tekken 7), 2GGT: Abadango Saga (Smash 4 only event), Wizard World Gaming at the Austin Convention Center in Austin, Texas, Red Bull Proving Grounds: SouthEast Battles - Round 4 at WaBa Replay in Duluth, Georgia. Red Bull Proving Grounds qualifier, Mix-up Monthly #4 at Ignite Gaming Lounge in Chicago, Illinois. Red Bull Proving Grounds qualifier, Red Bull Online tournament, and FChamp vs Shaq thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom