• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting games; much loved but quickly abandoned. Do you play them more than 1 week?

Do you play fighting games more than 1 week?

• Total voters

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Every time a new Street Fighter or Tekken game was released, I would get really excited and try to buy it, even if it was during a sale. Then I realized that I don't play these games for more than a week. I'd finish the story mode, learn some moves, play online for a bit , but then start losing and gradually lose interest in the game.

The last game I played was Guilty Gear Strive. I played it for 21 hours, but now I don't want to play it anymore. I played Street Fighter 4 for 12 hours, SF 5 for 2 hours, Tekken 7 for 17 hours, and MK 11 for 17 minutes(console versions not included). Therefore, I decided not to buy new generation fighting games like Tekken 8 and SF 6.

From what I see, most people abandon these games shortly after. Before the Akuma DLC, SF 6 had around 10,000 players, Tekken 8 averages around 8,000, and GG Strive has dropped to about 2,000 players (according to Steam Charts). Maybe there are more people playing these games on consoles, but I don't think they reach dramatic player numbers. Do you also abandon these games shortly after? With so few people continuing to play the game, how do they make a lot of money from DLCs? How viable is it for companies to finance fighting games as live service games?

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
WFhushr.jpeg

I went back to Tekken 8 for the Plat. I wanna keep up with it casually but the point of entry after the initial few weeks of play is huge after casuals drop off. I don't mind getting my ass beat but the skill difference (Ignoring switching the easy mode on) is crazy. I only turn on Easy Mode if I see the other player do it.

nush

I enjoy them, but they just don't hook me like Street Fighter II and the following Capcom titles. Only SF IV brought back the magic, but still not the same.

Chupanibre

I'm currently waiting for my tournament in Tekken 8 to start on the 2nd for advancing to the broadcasted finals that eventually lead to EVO in Las Vegas.

So... I play a lot of Tekken. Been playing fighters competitively since the early 90s. It's definitely not for everyone.

I am still rotating through dozens of different fighting games every year. I like Tekken 8 too, but being greeted by Killmonger every time I start the game has me dreading starting the game so much I haven't booted it more than thrice since the update dropped. Only reason I booted it thrice is to test stuff despite my distaste for Marvel slop. Until that eyesore is removed...
Im Not No Way GIF

Last edited:
Im a filthy 09'er and played SF4 big time. Now i cant get into SF6 or Tekken 8. Im currently play shit MK1.....
What do you think about Arcade Edition and Omega Mode of SF4?

Personally, I think Super Arcade Edition is the best version despite Survival Challenge omission from the original release. There are characters like Dan that get a cool special from Omega Mode update for Ultra, but most Ultra versions of characters suck and Omega versions are not all that different functionally from Arcade Edition versions.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
All I play is Soul Calibur when that comes out, and I usually play it extensively for several years. Daily.

Also liked Virtua Fighter but not at that same play frequency.

Arms was fun for a few months.

I can't do 2D fighters anymore. It's so primitive compared to 3D fighters. I wish I was into Tekken since it is about the only thing left with reliable releases, but I just never could get into it.

Last edited:
All I play is Soul Calibur when that comes out, and I usually play it extensively for several years. Daily.
star wars GIF

Last Soul Calibur I could enjoy was Broken Destiny. I always hope Bamco makes Soul Calibur great again but they always let me down. The games have become glorified create a character slop.

Punished Miku

star wars GIF

Last Soul Calibur I could enjoy was Broken Destiny. I always hope Bamco makes Soul Calibur great again but they always let me down. The games have become glorified create a character slop.
I thought 6 is the best one since 2. Loved it. DLC characters are unbalanced though.

Last edited:

yurinka

I played SF since the very first one in the 80s.

I spent hundreds of hours in Street Fighter 6, playing almost daily until a few months ago, when I did stop playing it weekly, replacing it with Helldivers 2. Now with Akuma and so on I'm back.

Last edited:
I thought 6 is the best one since 2. Loved it. DLC characters are unbalanced though.
Poorly implemented Supers and Reversal Edge are unpalatable for someone that still plays the original. They completely ruined spacing and momentum as well.

I can't do 2D fighters anymore. It's so primitive compared to 3D fighters. I wish I was into Tekken since it is about the only thing left with reliable releases, but I just never could get into it.
Have you tried Dead or Alive 6? It has great mechanics and a good amount of content (separate from cringe story mode).

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I play them from time to time, but not even for a week but rather a few arcade runs when I'm bored.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves, Capcom vs SNK2 EO and KoF 97 are my favorites. Don't really care about modern ones, 2D or bust.

Punished Miku

Poorly implemented Supers and Reversal Edge are unpalatable for someone that still plays the original. They completely ruined spacing as well.

Have you tried Dead or Alive 6? It has great mechanics.
RE is great honestly. It's so easy to punish with the guard break or sidestep. And I can't go back to not having that give and take of getting a crit if you guard break through a guard impact like you can in 6. Makes it so much more interesting. Supers can be BS sometimes, but it's mostly fine.

I actually completely blocked out DoA6 when I see all the microtransaction shit. I loved 1-4.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Soul Calibur 4 I played for literally years.
Dead Or Alive 5 I rebought and kept playing with every new release.
DragonBall FighterZ I still play every now and then due to local tournaments.
Guilty Gear Strive I jump back in whenever a new character comes out.

I havent decided if Tekken 8 or MK1 is gonna be my go to game for this generation.
I suck at both, Dead Or Alive and Soul Calibur are likely dead so.........................

Aenima

I played SFV quite alot without going nowhere, but still had fun for a couple months, the long matchmaking times i had eventually made me drop the game. I havent played a sigle fighting game so far this gen.

Its the kind of games i have much more fun just playing against friends sitting next to me.
Still remember the day i made my grandma and my grandpa fight eachother in Dead or Alive 3 :D

Crayon

Some I will buy when they are dead and just mess around with a bit. But ones I buy on release I intend to play a lot. Sometimes it doesn't work out.

After 3 weeks of Tekken 8 I found myself unhappy with the basic direction of the game and reluctantly put it down. I really want it to shape into more of what I have fun with. They're making little changes in the right direction and I really hope they pull it off because I would like do 200-500 hours on it before hanging up my guns and waiting for the next train.

RE is great honestly. It's so easy to punish with the guard break or sidestep. And I can't go back to not having that give and take of getting a crit if you guard break through a guard impact like you can in 6. Makes it so much more interesting. Supers can be BS sometimes, but it's mostly fine.

I actually completely blocked out DoA6 when I see all the microtransaction shit. I loved 1-4.
Reversal Edge is just not a mechanic fit for fighting games. If it was part of an action game I would not batter an eye, but it breaks the flow and momentum of a match.

P.S. There is a free version of Dead or Alive 6 called Core Fighters to try. It has four characters (Kasumi, Hitomi, Bass, and Diego if I remember correctly) and plenty of interesting new moves for characters. The full game can be found pretty cheap. The DLC stuff is pretty tame compared to modern fighting games and you can directly buy whatever interests you for a reasonable price during a sale. Honestly, I think DoA 5 was a lot worse in this category. I can't even buy Mai Shiranui and the Attack on Titan stage in that one.

Last edited:

rm082e

I voted Yes, but it's entirely based on my Son being into them. We play vs. locally most nights of the week. He plays them a lot more, but we've had a lot of fun with fighters. We've been playing Dragon Ball FighterZ, MKX, Samurai Showdown, and Guilty Gear Strive over the last few months.

I wouldn't play them at all if it weren't for having him in the house with me.

Punished Miku

Reversal Edge is just not a mechanic fit for fighting games. If it was part of an action game I would not batter an eye, but it breaks the flow and momentum of a match.

P.S. There is a free version of Dead or Alive 6 called Core Fighters to try. It has four characters (Kasumi, Hitomi, Bass, and Diego if I remember correctly). The full game can be found pretty cheap. The DLC stuff is pretty tame compared to modern fighting games and you can directly buy whatever interests you for a reasonable price during a sale. Honestly, I think DoA 5 was a lot worse in this category. I can't even buy Mai Shiranui and the Attack on Titan stage in that one.
I may give it a shot, thanks.

I don't expect RE would make a comeback in a theoretical SC7. But I genuinely liked it. I think they have to find ways to appeal to more casual players. Anyone that is a master of SC can humiliate people that don't know how to block high, mid and low correctly. I like that that people can at least have a shot at some basic defense if they're getting rushed. Anything that improves defense I'm all for, since offense is usually so overpowered. They could tweak it and not make it a rock paper scissors cutscene but the general principle of a automated block with huge weaknesses to guard break or sidestep is cool. It's barely a factor in any high level play because it's easy to avoid. But I can totally see how it can be a controversial and disliked feature. That kind of out of the box thinking though is cool and I'm glad they tried it.

Every time a new game was released, I would get really excited and try to buy it, even if it was during a sale. Then I realized that I don't play these games for more than a week. I'd finish the story mode, learn some moves, play online for a bit , but then start losing and gradually lose interest in the game.
It's because most newer fighting games don't have a variety of fun modes and minigames like they used to in previous generations, aside from maybe SF 6.

16376180-rival-schools-playstation-evolution-disc-main-menu-there-are-new.png

Soulcalibur-II-HD-Online09132020-030444-39866.jpg

kkyta9v8rfgh5brwficm.webp

It was more about making the games as fun as possible and then the pro scene would come afterwards. Now it's about chasing the pro scene and the fun modes arrive too late. Maximillian touched on this subject in a video regarding how fighting games lost most of their casual crowd due to focusing too much on the pros and rankings.

A game like Power Stone would not be made today by Capcom themselves. Modern Square would also not make Tobal No 1 with Quest mode. Some indie company would have done both instead.

Crayon

Also liked Virtua Fighter but not at that same play frequency.

Arms was fun for a few months.

Might want to try T8. It's pretty different. The most core system is the same but there are new systems and a balance that make it feel like you are playing a different game with similar tools. It's different enough to be divisive. I'm on the side that's not crazy about it but of course they are the loudest. A lot of people like the shake-up.

Punished Miku

Might want to try T8. It's pretty different. The most core system is the same but there are new systems and a balance that make it feel like you are playing a different game with similar tools. It's different enough to be divisive. I'm on the side that's not crazy about it but of course they are the loudest. A lot of people like the shake-up.
I might give it a shot then when it's cheaper. Can't risk a full price on the slim chance I would like it, but I respect the series. Fun to watch at EVO.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Yeah, pretty much me. I put maybe two hours into T8 and SF6 lol. I did finish MK1 and played some krypt shit.

MiguelItUp

It really depends. I played the hell out of MK9 because I felt like it had a ton of content and the online was great and plentiful for awhile. But after that everything changed for me and the series. I started getting MK games just for the story modes and didn't even bother with multiplayer. I just didn't care anymore, and the mechanics just never interested me. I loved SF IV, didn't really care for V, and then I basically did the same with Street Fighter 6 that I did with the MK series. I loved the game, enjoyed the World Tour mode and all, but honestly none of the characters clicked with me or interested me. So, I just didn't bother playing online because I didn't care. I'd like to think I'm still REALLY interested in fighters, there's that spark in me somewhere. I still think it exists, but for whatever reason a lot of these games just aren't making me stick around.

Last edited:

Crayon

I might give it a shot then when it's cheaper. Can't risk a full price on the slim chance I would like it, but I respect the series. Fun to watch at EVO.

You could probably get an idea of the difference if you watched some mid-level play. There's more meter management, big hits, and drama. So if you like how the sc matches flow, maybe you'll like what you see.

Not as easy to see:

A lot of sc fans I find are in it for the feel of the game and the controls. Tekken has it's own unique feel but it seems like the scene and the characters are much bigger draws. I more often hear SC fans talk about how they like the a/b/k concept and how it works with the very free movement. Not to mention the parrying that manages to balance despite that wide window. I don't hear as many people lead with that kind of thing talking about Tekken. If that's what you like most about SC, Tekken 8 won't change it.

Shut0wen

Honestly i only play them when i have friends over, last game i put more then a week into it was marvel vs capcom 2 for the dreamcast, loved that game

Punished Miku

You could probably get an idea of the difference if you watched some mid-level play. There's more meter management, big hits, and drama. So if you like how the sc matches flow, maybe you'll like what you see.

Not as easy to see:

A lot of sc fans I find are in it for the feel of the game and the controls. Tekken has it's own unique feel but it seems like the scene and the characters are much bigger draws. I more often hear SC fans talk about how they like the a/b/k concept and how it works with the very free movement. Not to mention the parrying that manages to balance despite that wide window. I don't hear as many people lead with that kind of thing talking about Tekken. If that's what you like most about SC, Tekken 8 won't change it.
Well I did get into DoA and Virtua Fighter as well. I'm just not as into endless combos. I think the essence of a fighting game is the process of getting that mental win and finding the opening. Once I get the opening, I don't need it to lead to 10 free hits while the other player is helpless. I prefer 1-3, then reset so we can get back to the mind game. And Soul Calibur has the best 3D movement and that's always been the main draw for me, along with guard impacting and the general flow. Weapons just add more dynamic variables compared to hand to hand where everyone will have similar range and spacing. I know Tekken has way more intricacies than that, but that's my view from the outside.

I'll check it out though! Appreciate the heads up.

Crayon

Well I did get into DoA and Virtua Fighter as well. I'm just not as into endless combos. I think the essence of a fighting game is the process of getting that mental win and finding the opening. Once I get the opening, I don't need it to lead to 10 free hits while the other player is helpless. I prefer 1-3, then reset so we can get back to the mind game. And Soul Calibur has the best 3D movement and that's always been the main draw for me, along with guard impacting and the general flow. Weapons just add more dynamic variables compared to hand to hand where everyone will have similar range and spacing. I know Tekken has way more intricacies than that, but that's my view from the outside.

Be warned I think the combos got too fucking long in this one. 🤣 They get annoying to watch even when YOU are the one doing them.

nikos

Street Fighter IV was pretty much my main game for its entire life cycle. I could play that game all day and never get tired of it. Made lots of friends, both online and IRL, because of it. Went to locals, EVO a couple of times, other major tournaments, etc.

No fighting game since has held my attention. SFV didn't even come close. I don't really like SF6 but I'm giving it another chance with the new patch. I've tried several other games as well, as I always have, but nothing has held my attention even if it deserved it.

The FGC has also changed significantly, and a major reason why I played SFIV so much was because of the experiences that came with it. Some memories I'll never forget.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Played pretty much all the fighting games more than a week. I do tend to play only one at a time because they take a while to Master. Currently playing Tekken 8. Before that was Street Fighter 6 and before that was Guilty Gear. Admittedly I did play Mortal Kombat 1 for only a few weeks before I gave up because the netcode is so bad. Tekken's isn't much better, but when it's good, it's really good. Mortal Kombat seemed to constantly suffer especially with it's more complicated combos and triggered blocking.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
For Honor is my most played game of all time, coming up on 1500 hours. I loved Soulcalibur VI but the lag was just too annoying and it seemed like the community died out pretty quickly.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I used to play them a lot more. But there are also a lot more other games these days.

Last edited:

Paltheos

According to Steam, I've put 725 hours into Street Fighter 6, so yes, I literally play fighting games for more than a week.

There is a story beta/demo for Tekken 8 as well, but it is offline and only has an evening worth of content with Kazuya, Jin, Nina, and Josie playable.

Last edited:
Don't like the genre, but I assume they're relatively cheap to produce and with a much smaller team / dev time than other types of games. So even with lower sales and player counts they're still easily profitable.

NT80

It's because most newer fighting games don't have a variety of fun modes and minigames like they used to in previous generations, aside from maybe SF 6.

16376180-rival-schools-playstation-evolution-disc-main-menu-there-are-new.png

Soulcalibur-II-HD-Online09132020-030444-39866.jpg

kkyta9v8rfgh5brwficm.webp

It was more about making the games as fun as possible and then the pro scene would come afterwards. Now it's about chasing the pro scene and the fun modes arrive too late. Maximillian touched on this subject in a video regarding how fighting games lost most of their casual crowd due to focusing too much on the pros and rankings.

A game like Power Stone would not be made today by Capcom themselves. Modern Square would also not make Tobal No 1 with Quest mode. Some indie company would have done both instead.
Tekken 8 has minigames and quite a lot of content. More than the most entries in the series.
The best effort at single player content might be Soul Calibur 3 though.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It really depends. I played the hell out of MK9 because I felt like it had a ton of content and the online was great and plentiful for awhile. But after that everything changed for me and the series. I started getting MK games just for the story modes and didn't even bother with multiplayer. I just didn't care anymore, and the mechanics just never interested me. I loved SF IV, didn't really care for V, and then I basically did the same with Street Fighter 6 that I did with the MK series. I loved the game, enjoyed the World Tour mode and all, but honestly none of the characters clicked with me or interested me. So, I just didn't bother playing online because I didn't care. I'd like to think I'm still REALLY interested in fighters, there's that spark in me somewhere. I still think it exists, but for whatever reason a lot of these games just aren't making me stick around.
Last good Street Fighter was 4. Last good Mortal Kombat was 9. Last good Dead or Alive is 4(5 is ok). Last good Soul Calibur is 2(LOVED Weapon Master mode). Last good DBZ is probably Budokai Tenkaichi 3 in terms of recreating anime fights otherwise FighterZ. Tekken 3 probably still the best Tekken game. I very much miss Bloody Roar.

Like I know Skullgirls and Granblue Versus are good but fighting games are kinda a been there done that kind of thing where I can't imagine playing newer games when the older fighters are far superior.

Also I kid you not the last fighting game I played and sunk a lot of hours into was Castlevania Judgment on the Wii years ago. Crazy.

And for 2D brawlers that could be considered a fighting game is Fight N Rage an indie game. A good one too. But it's still just a beat em up in the vein of Final Fight.

Last edited:

DrFigs

Absolutely. i think the games do eventually run their course. i haven't found a fighting game that's permanently kept my attention in a long time, but my most played game ever is still sf4.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I play Tekken 8 several times per week and I still suck at it. Beating up digital people is one of my stress coping tactics.

I only buy the ones I know I'm going to play and I stick with them.

Last edited:
Last good Soul Calibur is 2(LOVED Weapon Master mode).
Soul Calibur III was even better and Broken Destiny version of Soul Calibur IV was decent enough. The obsession with Soul Calibur II never ceases to amaze me. It is like Soul Calibur on Dreamcast but with more filler content and looser, less responsive controls and less balanced characters.

Tekken 3 probably still the best Tekken game.
Tekken 3 was already outdated by the time the original Tekken Tag came out like a year later.

Tekken 8 has minigames and quite a lot of content. More than the most entries in the series.
The best effort at single player content might be Soul Calibur 3 though.
Ehrgeiz: God Bless The Ring (PS1) and Tobal 2 (PS1) have full fledged RPG modes.

Last edited:

squarealex

Every time a new Street Fighter or Tekken game was released, I would get really excited and try to buy it, even if it was during a sale. Then I realized that I don't play these games for more than a week. I'd finish the story mode, learn some moves, play online for a bit , but then start losing and gradually lose interest in the game.

The last game I played was Guilty Gear Strive. I played it for 21 hours, but now I don't want to play it anymore. I played Street Fighter 4 for 12 hours, SF 5 for 2 hours, Tekken 7 for 17 hours, and MK 11 for 17 minutes(console versions not included). Therefore, I decided not to buy new generation fighting games like Tekken 8 and SF 6.

From what I see, most people abandon these games shortly after. Before the Akuma DLC, SF 6 had around 10,000 players, Tekken 8 averages around 8,000, and GG Strive has dropped to about 2,000 players (according to Steam Charts). Maybe there are more people playing these games on consoles, but I don't think they reach dramatic player numbers. Do you also abandon these games shortly after? With so few people continuing to play the game, how do they make a lot of money from DLCs? How viable is it for companies to finance fighting games as live service games?

I have more than 100 hours on SF5 and Tekken 7.

But IDK why, SF6 is far better than 5 but can't get it... Same thing for Tekken 8 (But this one I think it's just bad than T7, gameplay are too agressive and dumb + Rage Heat sucks).

I think modern fighting game is too invested into online and competition than "just fun and be better bro"

And Im just tired of Season Pass, and now Battle Pass with virtual money

Last edited:

Hrk69

Street Fighter 6 was my first fighting game and I played over 125+ hours. I kinda dropped it now.

I really hit a brick wall. I don't know how to improve and it's really obvious my ranked opponents know something I dont. It's really frustrating actually

Last edited:
Street Fighter and Tekken I play regularly throughout each gen.

Any other fighter usually lasts me about a month before I move on, which is longer than most SP games I buy, so I'm ok with that.

Top Bottom