• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting games; much loved but quickly abandoned. Do you play them more than 1 week?

Do you play fighting games more than 1 week?

• Total voters

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Soul Calibur III was even better and Broken Destiny version of Soul Calibur IV was decent enough. The obsession with Soul Calibur II never ceases to amaze me. It is like Soul Calibur on Dreamcast but with more filler content and looser, less responsive controls and less balanced characters.
I dunno what it is but SC2 just feel's so good to play and I got Soul Break down to a science. Also felt it was more balanced. SC3 just felt wrong.

Can't comment on Tekken Tag since I like both Tekken 3 and Tekken Tag.

Can't say I cared about 6 7, or 8.

ReyBrujo

Never play them for more than a week indeed. Most of them are way too generic, hitting buttons until the bar at the bottom fills up then throw the super and repeat. Even combos are like press the same button again and again, or press these buttons time and again.the Killer Instinct way of discovering combos by having some logic behind. And I prefer having 100% of action time, not being interrupted by those 5-10 second CGI cuts showing stupid things like bashing the opponent with a motorcycle or sending them to the sky for a free fall. But if they continue adding CGI it means players like it.

DavidGzz

I had a multi years love affair with Street Fighter 2 as a kid. From arcades to Super NES. I played Mortal Kombat 2 and 3 and Killer Instinct for many months. But yeah, these days I play for a week or two. Still don't regret buying MK1. It was fun for a time. If a game lasts me a week, I'm happy. Money isn't as hard to come by as when I was a kid and gamers are WAY more plentiful so it's only natural to love on faster.

Last edited:
I do one Arcade mode run per day, then go do something else. I do it with every fighting game. Soul Calibur, Guilty Gear, whatever.

I adore fighting games, but I rarely play them for more then 1 hour. I'm not a online player either, so there's that too.

I boot up KOF 99, pick Blue Mary for example, beat or attempt to beat Arcade mode with her, then that's it.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I just abandoned fight games... they became too complex for my taste ... always loved the older SF and MK ... too much combos and moves and things hidden behind paywalls and cryptcs ... dont care.

I dunno what it is but SC2 just feel's so good to play and I got Soul Break down to a science. Also felt it was more balanced. SC3 just felt wrong.
Do you mean guard break? Also, how can it be balanced when Xianghua is broken and Yun Seong is trash tier regardless of stage? Soul Calibur III felt like the original Soul Calibur mixed with Soul Edge content and more to me. Granted just frames and soul charge exclusive moves could be a bit annoying to pull off at first.

As I understand it the early North America release of Soul Calibur III is buggy but the European and Japanese versions are more polished. Granted, there were some mad lads at 8WayRun that ported the limited release Arcade Edition improvements to the console version and that is the version I replay.

Last edited:

Fbh

I don't really buy them anymore because sadly I have no one to play them with locally. And online multiplayer is too unreliable where I live for something like a fighting game.

//DEVIL//

I play dragon ball fighterZ to this day. Same with killer instinct.

Tekken 8 with friends and online

Didn’t bother with street fighter because story mode sucks and I don’t like what they have as a story mode ( even though I like the commentary during fights )

Oh and my main is Bison and he is no longer there so the game is dead to me

Celcius

°Temp. member
I don't really put as many hours into them as I used to buy I still enjoy them when I do play them.
Playing online just isn't the same as local multiplayer back in the day for me. I mainly enjoy arcade mode and story modes.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Do you mean guard break? Also, how can it be balanced when Xianghua is broken and Yun Seong is trash tier regardless of stage? Soul Calibur III felt like the original Soul Calibur mixed with Soul Edge content and more to me. Granted just frames and soul charge exclusive moves could be a bit annoying to pull off at first.

As I understand it the early North America release of Soul Calibur III is buggy but the European and Japanese versions are more polished. Granted, there were some mad lads at 8WayRun that ported the limited release Arcade Edition improvements to the console version and that is the version I replay.
Only played the early release. So maybe the Arcade version might have given a better impression.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It seems they are generally liked here. But it can be considered normal on a niche platform related to games. After all, there is an active fg community of 30-35 thousand people on Steam, so it seems like 100 of them are coming from here:) Thanks for the replies!

Soodanim

Any fighting game I've ever played has been treated the same way as when I first got Tekken 2 on PS1. I play through the story/arcade mode to unlock everything, then play until I'm bored. That takes more than a week. I don't play multiplayer.

This has normally been a decent strategy, but I did fuck up when I got Smash on Wii U. It was my first Smash since Melee and I just assumed it would have a similar Adventure mode. Turned out it didn't, and as such the game barely got touched. What a waste of money. You what they say about when you assume...

This has normally been a decent strategy, but I did fuck up when I got Smash on Wii U. It was my first Smash since Melee and I just assumed it would have a similar Adventure mode. Turned out it didn't, and as such the game barely got touched. What a waste of money. You what they say about when you assume...
The problem is that Smash Bros. isn't a fighting game. It is a party 2D platform brawler.

Robb

Gold Member
Only Smash Bros., and only locally. But if Nintendo ever manages to actually make the online component great I’d play it way more.

Last edited:

Fake

Is not even fun seeing people fightning with all those automatic combos. I normally stick with old fightning games like Last Blade 2, Garou, SF4 and Guilty Gear.

VulcanRaven

I don't play them much. I do have a lot of nostalgia for the early Mortal Kombat games, Tekken 3 and Tag Tournament but I was never good at them. They are fun with friends.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I still have SF2 installed today and have owned it on many platforms. Since it's like 30 some years old, that's not too bad. Current one I'm using is that Capcom arcade version on Steam. :messenger_grinning:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
How about fighting force? It delivers and was light years ahead of tekken and mortal kombat.

Top Bottom