• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly |8/17-23| It was a little beta this time.

kobu

The only thing I want from EX games in mainline SF are some of the characters.

Custom Combos are a bullshit mechanic. Keep them out of everything. Kthnx.

What makes excel combos specifically a bullshit mechanic? It had reasonable damage scaling, it was easily punishable and the timer didn't stack like other games.

FSLink

Banned
Yeah, it's more in line with every SF outside of 4.

Same. I like custom combos and long combos and such, but I don't feel they should apply to every character in SF. I'm the type of player who does tend to gravitate towards the long combo characters but I don't feel SF should necessarily have it as a universal mechanic. Footsies make SF, and shorter combos overall help emphasize that more.

Sakura is a shoto-in-training, that's the appeal for me.

How do you feel about X23 from marvel?
S9mSIes.jpg

or frost from mortal kombat?
1Ap1a0m.png

or shingo from kof?
NzsLVTM.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If the next character announced for SFV isn't one of the 10 or so people are convinced are shoe ins for the base game's 7 remaining slots, madness will ensue. Or it'll be like Vega and, y'know, people will continue about with the current level of madness.

How do you feel about X23 from marvel?
S9mSIes.jpg

or frost from mortal kombat?
1Ap1a0m.png

or shingo from kof?
NzsLVTM.png
None of them as as cool visually. Gross.

If the next character announced for SFV isn't one of the 10 or so people are convinced are shoe ins for the base game's 7 remaining slots, madness will ensue. Or it'll be like Vega and, y'know, people will continue about with the current level of madness.

None of them as as cool visually. Gross.

Shingo looks like a gender-bent Sakura.

Vega is still the worst reveal so far. Blech.

After playing 6 hours of Bison on Friday, I don't think I will be sticking with him. His V-Trigger is ZzzZzz.

Tripon

I didn't want to say it, but yeah definitely if she cranked the tomboy thing to 11.
They both share a similar backstory. Crazy obsessed fanboy/girl that self trains to get semi-good.

In Shingo case, he actually has been part of the main storyline though.
Edit: and had official training from Kyo's dad Saiysu, which is way more than Sakura could ever get from Ryu.

Can't wait for that Dee Jay reveal

9C67Ank.gif

For the short time I played SF4 I mainly used Guy/Sakura so I wouldn't mind seeing her added to 5 since I'm planning on spending more time on this one.

I liked what I played in the beta, just need to play more of it so I can get more used to it since it's pretty different from ArcSys games.

Kikirin

Why doesnt anyone play Bedman?

Late to the party on the other thread, but I play Bedman, though not particularly well. I have no experience with the Zato matchup at all, so if you don't mind putting up with a fledgling figuring it out on the fly, we could play sometime. :D

Late to the party on the other thread, but I play Bedman, though not particularly well. I have no experience with the Zato matchup at all, so if you don't mind putting up with a fledgling figuring it out on the fly, we could play sometime. :D
Sounds good! I've only ever played one, and at the time I hate no idea what was going on.

I actually feel like I could like Bedman if not for how the character looks. The bed itself is a really cool design.

Numb

Harada should have taken MOTW Terry design aswell as Rock. Atleast his jacket is in Tag 2 in some form.

ShinMaruku

X-23 is awesome because she's litterally the only child Wolverine has ever had a hand in raising and as a result she's a more decent sort than him. She also has some of her mother's looks.
She's not the 100% clone, her mother dr Kinney gave her quite a bit of her genes as well and she has more of her mother's personality than her dads. She's also his last one that gets all the cool shit.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I can't wait to grind it out for DLC. It'll make playing have a purpose besides training relentless to be good.

Sakura is a shoto-in-training, that's the appeal for me.

But for most it's the schoolgirl outfit thing.

Why are you lying Enzo? You know you are anime as fuck.

notworksafe

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";175690827]Yodelay hee hoo!

Vega is too hype. Unique archetype, revamped moveset, best personality. I don't get the hate.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree. I'm more interested in Vega than any other returning character so far.

Vega is too hype. Unique archetype, revamped moveset, best personality. I don't get the hate.[/QUOTE]

He looks fun to play in V for sure. If he was shown alongside a new or not ST character, sorta like the Birdie/Cammy reveal, I think he would've been a bit more well received.

petghost

Banned
Maybe SFV needs custom combos. Let people spend V-Trigger for a neutral boost or a combo boost.

Yeah would be rad if at some point during the lifespan they add a second v trigger per char allowing you to make that kind of decision. Maybe not ccs necessarily cuz those are historically always fucked up.

It's a combination of factors, for me:
1) We only have 16 roster slots. Too many old faces makes the game feel rehashed. I reached max veteran rehash tolerance with Ken's reveal.
2) Not exactly a fan favorite. I'm not interested in him (especially as a stance character - ick), and he isn't largely popular.
3) Disconfirmed the main leak roster, which a lot of people were happy with, including myself.

I don't mind Vega as DLC or something, but to think he might have edged out someone like Urien on the launch roster is disappointing. Ken was pushing it for me - I wasn't happy to see Ken, but the fact that Ken is extremely popular eased the disappointment. I haven't found any solace post-Vega. Moreover, I am worried that since the 8 colored slots in the Capcom presentation now have Vega, it means we'll have another SFII veteran reveal ahead of us. I could maybe tolerate a revamped Dhalsim, but it wouldn't be ideal or exciting.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Pretty sure the less I play fighting games the better I am at them, as long as I play reasonably often.

I feel like I'm better after playing an hour every two days or so than I am when I play more than an hour a day.

Numb

Pretty sure the less I play fighting games the better I am at them, as long as I play reasonably often.
Good at fighting games i don't even own cos of how much i watch streams. Then i play the fighting games i own(also watch alot) and suck super hard.
Where can i get paid for being a stream monster? There should be a stream monster league where you get paid on how much you watch.

We technically have way more than 16 character slots. I'm expecting new characters fairly often.
I'm banking heavily on picking a main at launch, so the initial roster is really important to me. Why? Well, when Smash 4 launched, I worked my ass off at mastering Bowser. Then I decided to swap to Mewtwo when he released. 3 months later, it turns out that Mewtwo is ass, and I've wasted a ton of time learning a character that isn't viable while also losing out on Bowser practice time (even though he's just slightly less bad than Mewtwo). It's just been such a huge irritation for me that I really want to pick one main in SFV and stick with him/her.

Also, Nintendo puts out ~1 character/2 months as Smash DLC. I will be really impressed if Capcom can go faster than that.

Top Bottom