• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 8-14 | Cena-Factor validated, WWEsports remain stAGEd

AAK

Anyway, that prize money is craaaaaaazy. And I'm very happy to see we're getting more Tekken action.

How much prize money did Tekken Crash and Tekken Busters have?

The winner got 7 million won in Tekken Crash. Forgot about Busters. That is 100x less than this... assuming it's true. But I think the prize money will be split between a large number of the competitors.

I hope some Japanese players will try to enter this hopefully.

I doubt they give a shit about fighting games. But grats to IPL. And for NCR, I was thinking about going but it definitely depends on classes. A shame.

No shit since they don't make 'em.

Shame really, IPL looked like they had a good plan with the Capcom games, too bad IGN was in terrible shape when things finally started happening on that front.

Capcom Fighters is done for, then.

Injustice, too. Don't want that DC competition.

gfs_91989_1_2tfqo4.jpg

Capcom Fighters is done for, then.

Going by the description, pretty much that's the case. Hopefully Capcom fighters can find a home somewhere since I doubt Blizzard cares about supporting fighters and the the deal that IPL and Capcom previously had before all this happened.

Beckx

I could have saved DC a ton of money developing Injustice.

The guy who shoots heat rays from his eyes from a mile away wins.

shamelessly stolen from Marc Waid, author of Irredeemable

AAK

FALSE ALARM!!!

700 million won in the Korean website was a google mistranslation

it actually becomes 7 million won. So it's the same as Tekken Crash. My bad.

EDIT: oops, didnt see Doomshine's reply. beaten

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I could have saved DC a ton of money developing Injustice.

The guy who shoots heat rays from his eyes from a mile away wins.

shamelessly stolen from Marc Waid, author of Irredeemable

The other guy came ready for that

Why would blizzard bring fighters along for the ride? They just now started to put money into SC2 and now people expect them to bring fighters? I wish.

They will just use the staff and equipment from IPL and call it a day, I do hope they bring other games but it most likely will just be SC2.

Infinite

Why would blizzard bring fighters along for the ride? They just now started to put money into SC2 and now people expect them to bring fighters? I wish.

They will just use the staff and equipment from IPL and call it a day, I do hope they bring other games but it most likely will just be SC2.

We'll see what happens. I'm optimistic but at the same time I won't be alarmed if they went that route.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah, why not?

Ignoring that Blizzard has already said they're using IPL's assets for in-house content creation for their own games...

How would Blizzard, or any other publisher, benefit from such a thing? Fighting games aren't a super-direct competitor to Blizzard games like LoL/etc is, but it doesn't really matter. No publisher would want to divert assets towards promoting another company's game when they could just use those assets for promoting their own projects.

Capcom X IPL is dead. There's no reason to realistically expect Blizzard is going to run fighting game tournaments.

Infinite

I mean it's whatever. As said I would be surprised if they went that route (and by that route use IPL to exclusively support their own shit) but I don't have to crystal ball to predict what either company, Capcom or Blizzard, has in store or the insight to know what sort of deals were signed under the initial arrangement of IPL X Capcom. I don't know and can't pretend otherwise.

Also what is to become of LoL in that space? Wasn't it a huge reason why IPL 5 was so successful?

The IPL lans are pretty much dead (maybe blizzard want to host some in the future but I doubt it)

Expecting a publisher to put money, effort and what is essentially free advertising into other publishers game and titles is beyond the realm of optimism.

IPL will be SC2 (and maybe some WoW) in the future.

People are finding out, to no one reasonable's surprise, that this model of Esports Leagues!! with no direct connection to a game or community of players is just a failure. Literally every time that's been tried, it's failed. MLG hasn't failed yet, but it has consistently lost millions of dollars.

But Riot is proving that a league used as promotion for its own games can be pretty cost effective advertising and an excellent way to interface with and please its community of players. Sounds like with this and its earlier announcement about consolidated leagues, Blizzard is on its way to doing the same thing.

Infinite

Didn't know ultra david had an account here. Cool.

I totally see what you guys are saying but I still rather just wait and see what happens because who actually knows anything besides the parties involved?

Venfayth

People are finding out, to no one reasonable's surprise, that this model of Esports Leagues!! with no direct connection to a game or community of players is just a failure. Literally every time that's been tried, it's failed. MLG hasn't failed yet, but it has consistently lost millions of dollars.

But Riot is proving that a league used as promotion for its own games can be pretty cost effective advertising and an excellent way to interface with and please its community of players. Sounds like with this and its earlier announcement about consolidated leagues, Blizzard is on its way to doing the same thing.

Could a Capcom "league" for its games be successful? Does that have any chance in a million years of happening?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Could a Capcom "league" for its games be successful? Does that have any chance in a million years of happening?

Depending on how the environment changes between now and then, I could see them potentially doing that with their next-gen fighters. I don't know if there's a super-good chance of it happening, but the possibility at least seems realistic.

kirblar

It's almost like that's been done before Riot or something. :p

The problem is that the monetization model for both Riot and M:TG is one where there's tons of cash for players to splurge on in the marketplace. For FGs, there's basically just sticks/pads/headsets and games. It's why MadCatz is so important.

I would imagine it could be successful, or at least, has the opportunity to, but it probably won't happen. The whole SF25th tournament series was a nice start, but I don't see too much more than that in the near future. That's just me, though.

Except they won't see as much of a return as Riot due to their archaic price/delivery model "Hey you think what you just saw on stream is cool, you can play that game, just pay $40 for a disc that will immediately be useless, then pay $40 more to get the disc that would get you up to date of what you just saw"

I still like the current Valve model the best. Support the tournament and enthusiast scene but keep your distance (and maybe host your own annual event) without infusing yourself into everything so you become the end all be all authority on the scene.

Shouta

FGs aren't very good when it comes to monetization. As the game is a singular package that stays static upon release, they can't really generate extra revenue. They've tried DLC stuff but costumes only take you so far and they fumbled really hard with character DLC for a lot of their games. Additionally, FGs don't have the appeal of RTS or FPS games for a variety of reasons.

So a Capcom league isn't a particularly feasible idea unless they like to lose money.

Top Bottom