• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 26 - Feb 1 | Zaibatschu

Rhapsody

Banned
This is what makes discussions like this "fun", as it's hard to accurately quantify the experience. Personally, I think ArcSys' netcode is straight trash, and it's especially bad in UNIEL due to that game's lack of button buffering.
The sadness when Carmine and Wald players try to do wakeup supers when I'm in neutral, and I miss my 421C punish :/

Good points. It's funny you mention actors--I'm now remembering Jean Reno in Onimusha 3, which was Capcom of course.

I heard the reason why they use Soki in TVC instead of Samanosuke is because he is based on the likeness of Takeshi Kaneshiro. Jubei in Onimusha 2 was based on some dead actor iirc. So it makes me think that Capcom probably won't ever use Samanosuke again unless they give his look a revamp, sort of how Jill doesn't look like Julia Voth anymore (that Revelations face....though no one really looks good in Revelations unless you are into Sailor Chris).

Amedo310

I heard the reason why they use Soki in TVC instead of Samanosuke is because he is based on the likeness of Takeshi Kaneshiro. Jubei in Onimusha 2 was based on some dead actor iirc. So it makes me think that Capcom probably won't ever use Samanosuke again unless they give his look a revamp, sort of how Jill doesn't look like Julia Voth anymore (that Revelations face....though no one really looks good in Revelations unless you are into Sailor Chris).

Samanosuke did get a revamp as
Tenkai

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I was doing full seth combos and shit in UNIELs net code. Then I said fuck it this shit is too much effort for the reward and learned carmine :D

Shouta

No. Please.

SFXTK netcode was terrible.

Please.

I remember having all sorts of issues with it. Sound synching problems, random disconnects, random character teleporting, terrible online pair play experience (yet very fun still).

PS3 version was apparently fucked but the 360 one online was OK from what I've heard. The patch to the netcode apparently fix it just for that system. Usually shoddy work from Capcom.

hitsugi

PS3 version was apparently fucked but the 360 one online was OK from what I've heard. The patch to the netcode apparently fix it just for that system. Usually shoddy work from Capcom.

The PS3 versions of every Capcom fighter seem to get negative marks D:

SFxT netcode was fine for me. It worked really well unless you had a terrible connection, in which case it would be bad in SF4 type netcode as well.

Samanosuke did get a revamp as
Tenkai

Yea they could use him like that. I found him better to play as than Soki, even though overall the game was easy with how the Issens work. Did they still base his face model on Kaneshiro? Though that probably would be hard to tell.

Rhapsody

Banned
I was doing full seth combos and shit in UNIELs net code. Then I said fuck it this shit is too much effort for the reward and learned carmine :D
It was for the best. My Seth got pretty good, but then he dies against characters like Wald and Vatista lol

Then I gave up

hitsugi

Yipes has made huge steps from when I last saw him playing Evil Ryu.

Glad he's taken another shot at SF4 though cause as great as he is in Marvel it's just not working out

I could never get a game on PS3...so it was hard to test.

The PC version was (is?) awful though. Rollback netcode is all well and good and when implemented right. However in sfxt you'd finish the match and then suddenly be playing a round you thought you finished two weeks ago.

And the sound still wasn't in sync.

Just because the netcode in ArcSys games is better than other games (and I will give you that, as I think MK9 and Capcom games in general are horrible online) does not make it any good.

I'd disagree, since this is exactly what makes ArcSys games good in this regard. It might still be the minimum of what is acceptable, but it is good enough for me to play people from a very wide area.

Dahbomb

People underrate Yipes in Marvel 3, he consistently gets top 8 at majors he attends (and in rankings he is at least top 10 in the world). He just needs that one break out performance similar to what RayRay needed a while back. His also other fault is that he simply doesn't travel or compete in many tournaments. A big testing ground for Marvel players are the CM tournaments and he is the only one who doesn't participate in it.

That said I am glad to see him put him work in SF4. We always need more and better US players to DEFEND THE FUCKING TURF!

Amedo310

Yea they could use him like that. I found him better to play as than Soki, even though overall the game was easy with how the Issens work. Did they still base his face model on Kaneshiro? Though that probably would be hard to tell.

I would say that his subtitle pic looks really close to Kaneshiro's face than any other tenkai pic or his in-game model.

Rhapsody

Banned
B8uYhEJCUAAB6wD.jpg
https://twitter.com/AlzarathEX/status/561710288735854593/photo/1

hitsugi

People underrate Yipes in Marvel 3, he consistently gets top 8 at majors he attends (and in rankings he is at least top 10 in the world). He just needs that one break out performance similar to what RayRay needed a while back. His also other fault is that he simply doesn't travel or compete in many tournaments. A big testing ground for Marvel players are the CM tournaments and he is the only one who doesn't participate in it.

That said I am glad to see him put him work in SF4. We always need more and better US players to DEFEND THE FUCKING TURF!

I definitely don't mean to underrate - I haven't been following where he lands but his losses are heartbreaking almost every damn time! His technical abilities are out of hand, and I agree with you that he needs one break.. it just hasn't been happening

Nah Yipes has always been overrated if anything. He got by in MvC2 when there was like 4 people in the world who played it, but his only good performances in 3 were in vanilla and that was only in EC tournaments which don't count.

Great commentator though.

hitsugi

Nah Yipes has always been overrated if anything. He got by in MvC2 when there was like 4 people in the world who played it, but his only good performances in 3 were in vanilla and that was only in EC tournaments which don't count.

Yipes completely elevated MSP and was a major innovator of resets with his own flow back in the day. It's true that there were less competitors but that doesn't stop him from being godlike (for a while) in MVC2.

Clockw0rk

wtf get this shit outta here

Kalamari

So I managed to buy the last Madkatz KE stick that Aris was selling and I wasn't expecting it to be this small. Perhaps it's just my big manhands though.

http://imgur.com/O3L9kx1

Madcatz must think Koreans are the size of hobbits. :D

This is a catastrophe waiting to happen, one Bungie and 343i-like proportions. It'll be interesting to see how he escapes from this flub. If he really wants to assure people, Capcom should just go with GGPO.

SANFORD SMASHED HIS STICK AGAIN OFF STREAM

Maybe he wanted it to look like the Madcatz Tekken Tag 2 Fightsticks.

.la1n

Sounds like Ono still doesn't quite grasp the significance of good netcode for modern fighting games. I'm not sure how to read his reaction to the Harada/Tekken comment, surely he's not so oblivious that he doesn't realize Namco stepped up their game in online functionality.

alstein

..how is tekken's netcode anyway? What is the BEST online experience right now for a fighting game?

Skullgirls on PC, TTT2, then a pretty big dropoff

You need to be able to play actual players for the netplay to be good, so that writes off certain games.

Just wish the games with great netcode were the games didn't have gameplay that is completely opposite of how I like to play games.

Manbig

If it wasn't for the disconnect bug, I would put Tekken Revolution's netcode WAY above Tekken Tag 2's.

On another note, gonna quote myself from the Tag 2 thread in here as I feel that it is important advice for anyone that is learning Tekken, or plans on eventually learning it for Tekken 7.

So I'm practicing K stick in training mode with Kaz right now while UFC is on in the side, and I figured that with this, I would finally shake off one of my worst tendencies, which is using Korean Backdash Cancel improperly. I'll explain exactly what I mean so nobody else falls for the same trap.

Some of you that have played me a lot may have noticed that I usually do the first backdash as a full one, but then cancal the consecutive ones waaaay too fast. I think this is because I used to practice a lot of light dashing in DR and T6, and just somehow adapted my hands to do the same thing when I backdash cancel.

!!!THIS IS NOT THE WAY THAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO USE IT!!!

The proper way to use it is to cancel at the end of a full backdash every time AND (this is very important so I will all caps this also)HOLD DOWN BACK DURING THE ENTIRE BACKDASH SO YOU CAN BLOCK

When you use it that way, you create the most space as fast as possible, and you will be able to actually block during the backdash. This is why Aris has said that what you really need is a rhythm and not speed.

I know that a lot of people already know this, but I think that most people make the mistake that I've always made in canceling the consecutive backdashes too soon. So when you're practicing your BDCs, remember this advice!

Top Bottom