• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 28-Feb 3 | Melee Vs. Skullgirls: The Fate of Whens Marvel

This makes me wonder how I will like SF5 and beyond. As far as I'm concerned Vortex/Set Up Fighter 4 is all I've ever known at a competitive level. SF2 series, Alpha series, SF3 series and so on were all jump kick sweep fest for me. Even though they were different games, my friends and I played them like they were the same kind of game since we didn't know any better. Even though a lot of people hate what SF4 has evolved into I'm so use to it that I'm kind of afraid to see that style go away even if my character doesn't really take advantage of it.

sleepykyo

This makes me wonder how I will like SF5 and beyond. As far as I'm concerned Vortex/Set Up Fighter 4 is all I've ever known at a competitive level. SF2 series, Alpha series, SF3 series and so on were all jump kick sweep fest for me. Even though they were different games, my friends and I played them like they were the same kind of game since we didn't know any better. Even though a lot of people hate what SF4 has evolved into I'm so use to it that I'm kind of afraid to see that style go away even if my character doesn't really take advantage of it.

Should be fine, I'm sure Capcom realizes after SFxT that if you can't perfectly balance offense and defense, it is better to have offense be overpowered (than defense) in the current climate.

alstein

The SF2 fans largely consider the SF3 series fraudulent and easy mode
The SF3 fans considered SF4 fraudulent and easy mode.

It's almost a rite of passage, and occurs with non-SF games. Look at GG players reaction to Blazblue, real old-school KOF fans reaction to KOF13, even some VF folks crap on Final Showdown (that said, Final Showdown has some flaws)

Dahbomb

SF5 is going to be considered fraudulent and easy mode/scrub friendly by SF4 players.

Just you guys wait and see.

It'll depend on whether or not Ono will be in charge for that game by then, because lots of his recent actions (SFxT, pushing for AE 2013 patch, pushing for Alpha 4) suggest that he himself has no idea where to take the series to next. If he's still in charge of SF5 the future looks bleak for that game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think hating anything that is new or not giving it the benefit of the doubt is something systemic in all gamers period. I've even found myself becoming extremely jaded the more I follow games and post on forums. I've been on my positivity shit recently though, you end up enjoying everything more bottom-line.

offcast

Neo Member
Barfights matches were pretty good. I think you guys will enjoy them. No internet at the venue, but there are plans to hop around different venues, so maybe the next one will have internet. Don't wanna be streaming legos like the last time.

Couple things to look out for:

Killer Kai gif moment of fury

Who is the better Beyonzo?

Evil Elvis moment...

hypernima

Banned
San Fran is going to win because Norcal is where Champ lives and Obama has been very supportive of same sex gender people lately. Plus the hubby likes the color red and Baltimore is a crappy city except for the seafood. Also I like fullhouse. I grew up watching it.

You watch your damn month about my city. Plus you know we are going to win.

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium

Horseress

Super Turbo Match Analysis From SF 25th Anniversary - Damdai vs John Choi, Afrolegends
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeDUZrBZiQA

Also can the OP do me a favor and add the Iron Fist League (online TTT2 league) to the list? Been running every Tuesday at 8PM EST. More info here (even though it's outdated and only week 1)

http://shoryuken.com/2013/01/11/tekken-tag-tournament-2-iron-fist-league-week-1-results-and-replays/

Anyone excited for SFXT 2013 tomorrow?

I am! A LOT! Are you too?

Also, good shit on the IFL!

Watching I Got Next on my elongated break. It was a trip seeing LI Joe with hair, lol.

Also, I'll probably try SFxT at some point but eh, I was done with that game after NCR last year.

Sayah

Super Turbo Match Analysis From SF 25th Anniversary - Damdai vs John Choi, Afrolegends

Also can the OP do me a favor and add the Iron Fist League (online TTT2 league) to the list? Been running every Tuesday at 8PM EST. More info here (even though it's outdated and only week 1)

http://shoryuken.com/2013/01/11/tekken-tag-tournament-2-iron-fist-league-week-1-results-and-replays/

YES, even though I don't have the DLC characters. I'm probably gonna give in at the last minute and give Capcom money they don't deserve. Only DLC I've bought so far is Dark Souls and Tekken Tunes. Both very deserving purchases.

Shouta

No worries of getting 50/50'd oh my what a dumbass statement and there is far more confusing shit in that game than a vortex from sf4>

Not a bad thing though, that statement is just wack.

There's some crazy stuff but at least you don't have to sit in place and guess the cross-up on wake-up. Even with rolls nerfed coming in the patch, if they try to cross you up, rolling will remove it. If they want to punish the roll, then they lose the chance to cross-up. Quite understandable.

It's almost a rite of passage, and occurs with non-SF games. Look at GG players reaction to Blazblue, real old-school KOF fans reaction to KOF13, even some VF folks crap on Final Showdown (that said, Final Showdown has some flaws)

Keep in mind SF3 players hate SF2 as well. Also non sf3 players (namely ST/cvs2) have been a lot more accepting of sf4 than 3s players. And for what it's worth, a good majority of the high profile american ST players don't actually like the game, well they enjoy playing it but will admit that isn't fair or well designed. But for some reason there's a really vocal minority, enabled by popular stream casters (i.e. james chen/ultradavid) that tend to think liking ST and praising it is the "cool" thing to do. Most of it's prominent players will tell you it's a bad game, and it really is.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire

ima give it a shot

not happy with the Juri nerfs but its interesting how Paul Phoenix's moves suppose to hit opponents now, radical stuff there

Keep in mind SF3 players hate SF2 as well. Also non sf3 players (namely ST/cvs2) have been a lot more accepting of sf4 than 3s players. And for what it's worth, a good majority of the high profile american ST players don't actually like the game, well they enjoy playing it but will admit that isn't fair or well designed. But for some reason there's a really vocal minority, enabled by popular stream casters (i.e. james chen/ultradavid) that tend to think liking ST and praising it is the "cool" thing to do. Most of it's prominent players will tell you it's a bad game, and it really is.
And all of the above players hate HDR.

Ohnonono

Double post from the DS thread but if I own a Vita should I D/L the Darkstalkers PSP game or one of the PS1 versions? Anything better/worse about the PSP versions?

Really though, it's not like (as far as I know) that Wolfkrone isn't aware of how dependent Viper is on 50/50 guessing games. Not sure what would be so wrong about both recognizing that a game depends heavily on 50/50s (even if you don't like them) and then also picking a character who exploits that trait well with Viper. Doesn't really make him a hypocrite or anything, just smart with character selection.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

n4jlWkT.jpg

GeoNeo

I disagree.

I've talked to John and Afro about ST before. They both love it. You want to tell me what top American players you have talked to that "don't actually like the game". Would be interesting.

I'm willing to try the new SFxT but I don't know if I can stick with it, because I'm still horrible at links and I hear chains are even more strict in this new version. I wanted to run a Yoshimitsu/Ibuki team, but Ibuki might be extremely bad. Might have to use *gag* Yoshimitsu/Asuka instead. I wish Jun and Kunimitsu were in this...

It's a case by case basis. Melee turned out Godlike, most GG fans would tell you that AC was a great way to end GG for a while, KOF XIII had a warm reception despite some small cries, etc.

You are right though. New games tend to get that cold shoulder unless things are handled well.
I think hating anything that is new or not giving it the benefit of the doubt is something systemic in all gamers period. I've even found myself becoming extremely jaded the more I follow games and post on forums. I've been on my positivity shit recently though, you end up enjoying everything more bottom-line.
Yep

I've actually found myself becoming less Jaded though. PC gaming and SFxT both had completely different ways of making me see the good in things lol.

vocab

Most of it's prominent players will tell you it's a bad game, and it really is.

I can really say the same thing about SFIV in all honestly. I hate playing it, I like watching it (sometimes), but I will never say it's a good game. Ever. Too much janky shit about SFIV that turns me off. I know you talk shit about ST a lot, but it's really old at this point.

Every street fighter game has their own levels of bullshit so pick your poison. Almost all the players that stick to one street fighter knows whats wrong with their game, but they keep playing it anyway. If they don't know whats wrong with the game they either are blatant fanboys, or are just ignorant to what other fighting games have done. Someone like UltraDavid likes ST because it's fast, random, and has massive levels of bullshit. He plays Old Honda. HE KNOWS why Old Honda is bullshit against a lot of the character in the game.

Marvel 2 was a fucking joke mugen game that people loved to death. It's horribly made, there's a roster of garbage characters that could never be used at top level, and has a jazzy out of place soundtrack that people mod out. None of this matters because It's Marvel, and people will play it no matter how broken it is.

Top Bottom