• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 5-11 | A World Warrior Demographic

Evo staff knows better than that I feel. A PPV model might be better for your short term profit margins, but if you're in this for the long haul, it makes a lot more sense to focus on growing your audience right now. The FGC is still a niche within a niche.

Evo staff knows better than that I feel. A PPV model might be better for your short term profit margins, but if you're in this for the long haul, it makes a lot more sense to focus on growing your audience right now. The FGC is still a niche within a niche.
Well I think if you get 70k-150k viewers you'll attract more sponsors if everyone can view your stream (and get e-sports movie ads).

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Wasn't KiT advertising the master series on friday? Thought that was odd.
Yeah, there's some kind of partnership between the events, but I don't know the details on any of that. KiT TOs seem cool with the situation and everything from what I've heard; they're just thrilled that turnout for this event has handily beaten out last year's, and last year was already KiT's breakout year.

Speaking only for myself here, but it's hard for me to give a single fuck about that date-stomping event.

Everyone in the FGC bitched and moaned about MLG and e-sports for scheduling conflicts, but Lapchi does it and it's cool?

It's a bit difficult to throw a tournament with invited players and not be in conflict with another event as the players could be booked for other events.

For example, Daigo has two events coming up on the 18th and 31st-Feb 1st. Daigo just had an event on the 31st of December. Shadowloo Showdown is on February 6-8th?

There are just too many tournaments these days.

edit: Dry is also right that Canada Cup was pushed back because of Topanga League. That tournament itself lasts weeks

I don't know why everyone's so salty about the 15 dollars, there's no reason why anyone is entitled to free content.

If the only way to fly over this many good players and have them play non-stop for 2 days is to charge a ppv, I don't see the problem with it. Free streams will still exist and this event wouldn't have happened anyways without the fee, so it's not like someone held a tournament and prevented you from watching it, a bunch of people paid for Lapchi to fly over some players, if you didn't pay I don't get why you should be salty.

The difference between 2k viewers and 20k viewers isn't that much in the grand scheme of things, so if Lapchi could make more money from 2 thousand subscribers than 20 thousand viewers' worth of .0001 cent twitch CPM, let him. But the difference between 10k viewers and 100k viewers is a big ass deal. EVO knows that, and so do their sponsors.

The $15 thing is a bigger problem to be honest.

Watch next year it be $20. I really hope EVO doesn't pull this shit.

All I can say is that I wanted a event like Topanga in the West for a little while now. For a event like this I have no problem with Lap Chi charging because he fronted a ton of his own money for the pot and to get the players(and commentators) here to compete in this kind of format. These guys aren't going to come at their own expense to win a tiny pot. If they have to charge to make this event possible then so be it. It's up to the community to decide whether they want this or not. If their weren't enough buys then goodbye to Canada Cup Masters Series, and maybe Canada Cup altogether.

This event(if successful) won't be the norm, EVO and majors will continue doing their own thing. It'll be the lone exception every year and I think it's OK just to have at least one of these. Capcom and Mad Catz have done similar events, but they're companies. Lap Chi is just one dude. To condemn his decision also condemns the event itself because I see no other way this happens unless it's PPV.

CurlyW

Speaking only for myself here, but it's hard for me to give a single fuck about that date-stomping event.

Everyone in the FGC bitched and moaned about MLG and e-sports for scheduling conflicts, but Lapchi does it and it's cool?

Yipes scheduled the next Curley Mustache on the same day as Frosty Faustings. I can't be mad anymore about this stuff because there's so many events these days and not enough dates to hold them. [shrug emote]

I'm still peeved that he intentionally spells "curly" wrong, though.

I also think that people just looked for any reason they could find to hate MLG. There were plenty of better reasons to hate them though.

Honestly, these types of tournaments give the SF fan the most footage to watch if you think about it. Other tournaments have multiple games at the event, so you end up getting less footage as those games need their stream time. To top it off, the matches aren't always at the highest level due to having to stream lopsided matches or matches of players that aren't at the elite level.

I think it should be a tad cheaper, but I can't blame them as Topanga already set the price for these kind of events.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Mahvel is hype no matter what's happening on screen, fraud.

My man, you know what's up.

Niggas already charge $12 for HD

Dead

I've got no beef with Lapchi taking measures to keep himself from hemorrhaging cash, btw.

Honestly if I had the money I would've paid for this without a doubt. Everyone has said it's been great, and usually Canada Cup events are pretty good. If I can support someone who does good work, I can/will.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Honestly, these types of tournaments give the SF fan the most footage to watch if you think about it. Other tournaments have multiple games at the event, so you end up getting less footage as those games need their stream time. To top it off, the matches aren't always at the highest level due to having to stream lopsided matches or matches of players that aren't at the elite level.

I think it should be a tad cheaper, but I can't blame them as Topanga already set the price for these kind of events.
This is kind of how I feel. I think it's a better sell when it's only one game and/or you have a better guarantee of the content your getting being exactly what you want. People shit on Gootecks and stuff for charging for the stuff they make, but people still paid for that stuff because they were addicted to Gootecks' laugh or knew exactly what they were getting. I think Curleh could adopt something similar and work because their brand is established and consistently quality as well.

Right now, I don't think I'd pay for anything other than Capcom Cup and EVO, and that's not just who I'd trust with my money to get value back but also what I am willing to spend money on. I think I'll get more open to things when in-game rewards become a thing, but until then, I don't see much changing.

Yoooooo, dat Ryu read by Joel.

I played him once when he came to NC a few years ago. Surprised him with some Evil Ryu gimmicks and won the first round. Something that I can't remember happened and forced us to restart the match. I decided to be a nice guy and start the match over with a clean slate. He bodied me easily after that and I was kind of salty about my decision but that changed after I saw just how good he is when he nearly beat Dieminion(who also came to NC).

smurfx

get some go again
Evo could charge money but not for main stream. Maybe have dedicated streams for each game so people can watch their fav game all day as long as it's on. Real benefit would be once you get to top 32 and you can watch all the matches instead of just the matches they pick for the main stream.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Evo could charge money but not for main stream. Maybe have dedicated streams for each game so people can watch their fav game all day as long as it's on. Real benefit would be once you get to top 32 and you can watch all the matches instead of just the matches they pick for the main stream.

That would need a lot more people streaming right? EVO usually has 3 or 4 streamers right? I forget.

Top Bottom