• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 14-20 | Bracket Resets Full of Tears (of Joy?)

KofXIII - hard for me to link stuff in this game. I think I did practice or tutorial or something and was like "what? you really want me to perform that?" Or maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Am currently having this issue.

It's not so much the difficulty of the links as the timing they want. There's no hitstop and you have to confirm everything so fast. A game like SF4 may have difficult one frame links, but you have time to process what you're doing. KOF XIII feels like it's going to require muscle memory for basic bnb combos.

First rule of KOF13: Everything, and I mean everything is a cancel or a juggle. Links basically don't exist, don't even try. If the combo's grounded, it's made of cancels upon cancels upon cancels. You can chain a million normals into each other and still cancel them into specials.

Also, most KOF13 BnBs are either punishes or basic stuff hitconfirmed off lights. Same stuff as in SF: low short, low short oh it hit do a special. That's about as complex as it gets. A good number of characters also have 3-hit confirms built into their BnBs if that would make you feel more comfortable. The 3-hit ones are not hard, 2-hit ones can be though. Then there's characters like Claw Iori and K' that can just throw their full meterless BnB on someone blocking and be safe (-2 and -3, respectively, plus distance).

The rhythm and feel of it is certainly different than SF4 or something, but I'd just practice a bit. It's not overly hard, just a different feel that needs some time to adjust to. Please try it again, the game is fun as hell once you grok it.

The thing I'm looking forward to when GGXrd coming out over here and everyone being over hyped on it and shitting on BB is the moment when those same people get their dreams crushed by Faust and Zato

Xrd Sol seems kinda dumb good too. And I doubt most people really have the patience to work around Ramlethal's screen control. That stuff is just absurd when done properly.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So you're saying each person has to play the version that they used to win EVO? So Daigo has the option of using either Vanilla Ryu or Super Ryu? Well that actually is a pretty bad ass idea.
Unless you want to make it a contest to determine which character is the best instead of which player is the best, this sounds like a pretty stupid idea.

So you're saying each person has to play the version that they used to win EVO? So Daigo has the option of using either Vanilla Ryu or Super Ryu? Well that actually is a pretty bad ass idea.

It's a great idea if you want to see Daigo win with the stupidity of Vanilla Ryu. Or a stupid idea if you just want to see good matches.

kirblar

Yeah, the SF one was apparently taped by Art but hasn't been put up yet. There was a KI one as well. Don't remember what the others were.

notworksafe

The SF one was stupid. "This is the in-depth process of how we took all your feedback and ignored it" plus a Q&A where everyone bitches about their characters while the panelists roll their eyes.

Also Edition Select is coming to Endless Online. Woo.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The funniest thing to come out of VXG for me is Trifoce going on his own tirade about how it's going to better than EVO, everybody should go, fuck EVO, etc, etc, only to have VXG owe him money in the end like a bunch of people. And he blames a lot of money issues he has now is because of VXG. Karma.

kirblar

Normally if people "owe" me money, I stop using their services and associating with them until they pay up.

It's almost like he got a dumptruck of up-front cash last time and couldn't care less about what he and others are "owed" now or something.

Malice215

Normally if people "owe" me money, I stop using their services and associating with them until they pay up.

It's almost like he got a dumptruck of up-front cash last time and couldn't care less about what he and others are "owed" now or something.

It's crazy to me how certain people choose to still associate with VXG despite the number of people still being owed money from last year, on top of the promises that were made and weren't delivered.

Guess that doesn't matter just as long as they're being taken care of.

Unless you want to make it a contest to determine which character is the best instead of which player is the best, this sounds like a pretty stupid idea.

It's a great idea if you want to see Daigo win with the stupidity of Vanilla Ryu. Or a stupid idea if you just want to see good matches.

I already said in one of my other post that if you get rid of Vanilla Ryu then it's pretty much a fair fight. It'd be Super Ryu, AE Fei, AE 2012 Gen, and Ultra Rose. None of these character are over powered or even really bad match ups for one another(Well maybe except Louffy owns any Fei Long).

I know some would argue that AE Fei is too good but I really don't believe he is. I think if they played the matches with these characters it would show that none of these characters are too good and the best player will win that day. But if they stick with USF4, that's fine. I want see more of Daigo's Evil Ryu anyways.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yo- anybody know why Karst got banned?

The mods found out he didn't buy BBCP after the EVO grand finals

Not serious

Xrd Sol seems kinda dumb good too. And I doubt most people really have the patience to work around Ramlethal's screen control. That stuff is just absurd when done properly.

I'll say new players will be more frustrated with Faust before Ram and Sol is great but most new players will be using him anyways which is why I didn't mention him :p

The funniest thing to come out of VXG for me is Trifoce going on his own tirade about how it's going to better than EVO, everybody should go, fuck EVO, etc, etc, only to have VXG owe him money in the end like a bunch of people. And he blames a lot of money issues he has now is because of VXG. Karma.

I believe he said he was under contract with them to say all that stuff. That obviously doesn't make him any less stupid though.

I'll say new players will be more frustrated with Faust before Ram and Sol is great but most new players will be using him anyways which is why I didn't mention him :p

There's a fair amount of stuff for people of every skill level to dislike about Xrd I think. No throw techs and the ridiculous Yellow Roman Cancel option select (anytime between 25-49 meter you can buffer yellow roman cancel in all of your combo strings to setup a burst bait that won't activate unless the opponent bursts ololol) immediately come to mind. Almost makes a guy want to wait for a revision to see them iron out the core mechanics of the game.

Oh and watching Xrd Pot is kinda depressing too.

kirblar

There's a fair amount of stuff for people of every skill level to dislike about Xrd I think. No throw techs and the ridiculous Yellow Roman Cancel option select (anytime between 25-49 meter you can buffer yellow roman cancel in all of your combo strings to setup a burst bait that won't activate unless the opponent bursts ololol) immediately come to mind. Almost makes a guy want to wait for a revision to see them iron out the core mechanics of the game.

Oh and watching Xrd Pot is kinda depressing too.
Oh good lord no wonder people were complaining. Hopefully the console release brings a bugfix patch alongside it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, the last year really has been full of upstarts suckering top players into lose-lose situations.

Well, at least in both VxG and ESGN's cases they both got their travel paid for right?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
But Disco, Xrd is going to be sooooo much better than BBCP just because it's GG!

Like I said the game has problems but it's still fun and I'm hype for it.

Finally got around to looking at the Xrd MadCatz stream. Will they ever make the songs loop naturally?

Game looks cool tho. The dev playing Slayer is my hero.

Please Arc System, for the love of god, A REMATCH OPTION on XRD !

(At least on Versus Mode, but i'd love to get one on Online Matchmaking (ala Marvel 3) as well.

Essay

Xrd was built on Reload's shell. It wasn't until Accent Core that they introduced a 2-frame tech window, which honestly still rarely comes into play (but is hype when it happens). I guess it's just going back to randomly deciding same-frame throws ala ST?

Seyavesh

From what I could tell the throw range is pretty gimped compared to the other games.

to the other guilty gear games? the airthrow/throw range in those games is already pretty small

also there's nothing wrong with 1 button throws in 2d games imo, especially if the speed of the game is very high

like can you imagine st or alpha series with 2 button throws with whiff animations

edit: wait i'm retarded alpha 3 has that hurrrr

Top Bottom