• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 29 - August 4 | Obey your thirst

If players keep this up, the publishers will stop allowing these streams. The streams go, the sponsors go and it's a wrap.

Nintendo just barely let SSBM get streamed at evo. If that stream had players throwing games and splitting pots you would never see another stream from that game again.
Let's not put Namco, NRS, Capcom, ASW, Atlus and Lab Zero on the same plane as Nintendo. The Big N would shut everything down for the smallest reason if they have anything to gain.

You know what?

Fuck it. Let it burn. If people were in it solely for the money in the first place, then let Capcom Cup get cancelled. Shut down the Capcom Fighters division. Make the F.Champs and Chris Gs and Flockers realize how bad they're fucking the Capcom fighting game community by hitting them where it hurts.

And you what? Every other fighting game community will be in the clear once the shit hits the fan. NRS will still patch their games way too fast while giving insane bonuses for tournaments, KI will still be Max's favorite game, Anime players will still bitch about region delays. Hell, EVO will be the same because they don't get any support from Capcom in the first place. How is the winner of SF4 for EVO 2013 get less than the winner of Marvel at VxG? Come on, son.

The stream monsters will move on to the speedrunning community, Sp00ky wil still get the hookups from MarkMan and stream marketing events, Capcom will stop with the DLC bullshit and actually sit down and maybe release a brand new game instead of just patches, and TOs will rely on actual sponsors to help them out.

The FGC wil not be done, Mr. Wizard. The only thing that will be over are the FGC's chances to make a profit out of the events and the online "community" that the FGC spawned.

EMP Chavelo! It was you all along! Not Kingitachi!

MrDaravon

It is going to be significantly bad if Capcom doesn't allow their games to be streamed, at least at a level beyond a house stream (aka no weeklies or tournaments). That will fundamentally knock the scene down to 09ish levels, at least for Capcom games.

MrKayle

I think people are kind of losing perspective here. The FGC has always been poverty-oriented. There's been no money and there will be no money.

People are acting like everybody that plays Marvel and SF was gonna get a new Lexus until Chris G picked his B team. C'mon.

Infinite

You know what?

Fuck it. Let it burn. If people were in it solely for the money in the first place, then let Capcom Cup get cancelled. Shut down the Capcom Fighters division. Make the F.Champs and Chris Gs and Flockers realize how bad they're fucking the Capcom fighting game community by hitting them where it hurts.

And you what? Every other fighting game community will be in the clear once the shit hits the fan. NRS will still patch their games way too fast while giving insane bonuses for tournaments, KI will still be Max's favorite game, Anime players will still bitch about region delays. Hell, EVO will be the same because they don't get any support from Capcom in the first place. How is the winner of SF4 for EVO 2013 get less than the winner of Marvel at VxG? Come on, son.

The stream monsters will move on to the speedrunning community, Sp00ky wil still get the hookups from MarkMan and stream marketing events, Capcom will stop with the DLC bullshit and actually sit down and maybe release a brand new game instead of just patches, and TOs will rely on actual sponsors to help them out.

The FGC wil not be done, Mr. Wizard. The only thing that will be over are the FGC's chances to make a profit out of the events and the online "community" that the FGC spawned.

This is how I feel right now. Why should I care when other mother fuckers who claim they do clearly don't?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I'm also blaming Capcom for supporting VxG in the first place. An untested event with hidden ramifications and the EMP influence? Do people willingly stick their hands into blenders? :p

What? VxG was a good experience for us overall. Friday was a mess but we really turned a corner come Saturday and Sunday was full of amazing fights right up until the UMVC3 grand finals which everyone was obviously disappointed in. There is a lot of potential with VxG and looks to be a good opportunity for us to continue to expand and support emerging scenes, similar to what we have done with Brazil with SF25 last year. There are great players all over the world and my goal is to give them the spotlight they deserve.

From my standpoint, I'd rather get involved with all the events that need and request our help and see what we can do to support them to make it a positive experience. I think its a much better approach than just letting these events burn to the ground and say "welp, told ya so!" without lifting a finger. Hindsight is always 20/20 so its easy to say "well they should have done this and the other" but at the end of the day you have to take risks with this kind of stuff and as a result I think VxG2014 is going to be an amazing experience based on what we all learned.

We ALL have a responsibility to move this scene forward -- everyone from the players, the publishers, sponsors and spectators (you!). We just cant sit on the sidelines and criticizing every little detail without a solution and expect positive things to happen in the FGC.

I think people are kind of losing perspective here. The FGC has always been poverty-oriented. There's been no money and there will be no money.

People are acting like everybody that plays Marvel and SF was gonna get a new Lexus until Chris G picked his B team. C'mon.
Fighting games were on the rise. A Capcom game went esports, an island paid for the FGC to have a tournament vacation, and Capcom has sponsored several tournaments in the last year. None of this was happening a decade ago. No one was getting a Lexus, but people were getting rent money.

What? VxG was a good experience for us overall. Friday was a mess but we really turned a corner come Saturday and Sunday was full of amazing fights right up until the UMVC3 grand finals which everyone was obviously disappointed in. There is a lot of potential with VxG and looks to be a good opportunity for us to continue to expand and support emerging scenes, similar to what we have done with Brazil with SF25 last year. There are great players all over the world and my goal is to give them the spotlight they deserve.

From my standpoint, I'd rather get involved with all the events that need and request our help and see what we can do to support them to make it a positive experience. I think its a much better approach than just letting these events burn to the ground and say "welp, told ya so!" without lifting a finger. Hindsight is always 20/20 so its easy to say "well they should have done this and the other" but at the end of the day you have to take risks with this kind of stuff and as a result I think VxG2014 is going to be an amazing experience based on what we all learned.

We ALL have a responsibility to move this scene forward -- everyone from the players, the publishers, sponsors and spectators (you!). We just cant sit on the sidelines and criticizing every little detail without a solution and expect positive things to happen in the FGC.
Where is your doom and gloom?

alstein

It is going to be significantly bad if Capcom doesn't allow their games to be streamed, at least at a level beyond a house stream (aka no weeklies or tournaments). That will fundamentally knock the scene down to 09ish levels, at least for Capcom games.

I don't see Capcom doing that. They don't benefit from having their games not streamed. At the very least, they're not going to spend money shutting down streams. They might pull support, but that won't kill the FGC.

kirblar

Yay, Haunts Lives! :)

Busaiku

0eltuve.jpg

Yeah, it's not a Lexus, but it was a step towards there.

jbug617

Banned

Lord Haunts lives.

Fighting games were on the rise. A Capcom game went esports, an island paid for the FGC to have a tournament vacation, and Capcom has sponsored several tournaments in the last year. None of this was happening a decade ago. No one was getting a Lexus, but people were getting rent money.

Yah but the FGC doesn't = America and 30 players. Other countries have fighting game scenes and will still be alive and well especially in those iffy countries where copy write laws don't really work. Japan, Europe and others will continue. Unless you don't count Japan then its still on the rise. DAIGO HAS HIS OWN MANGA

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why are you guys even entertaining the possibility of Capcom not allowing their games to be streamed?

That doesn't make sense at all with Capcom's current goals and Capcom's stance on the community since forever. Even through VxGate that would be sorta counterintuitive to what they're trying to build, or perhaps even repair.

EDIT: Didn't see haunts' post, but he pretty much affirms my thoughts.

Not do detract from all this doom and gloom, but I just saw that The Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown Sega Cup Europe 2013 isn't listed in the OP.

It's a one-day tournament happening in London on August 3rd. €7000 Prize Pot.

http://unequalledmedia.com/segacupeurope2013/

Real Honest Fighting™
Adding to OP, thanks.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yah but the FGC doesn't = America and 30 players. Other countries have fighting game scenes and will still be alive and well especially in those iffy countries where copy write laws don't really work. Japan, Europe and others will continue. Unless you don't count Japan then its still on the rise. DAIGO HAS HIS OWN MANGA

Japan is anime land :p

Vice

Capcom, Atlus and NRS are all interested in making their competitive scene better. Capcom recently announced a series of tournaments correct? NRS, thanks to WB, are always involved in the community and support tournaments with lots of cash. Atlus partnered with MLG and want to see KoF grow. Professional gaming is on the rise and companies know it. While it may result in a genre where F2P reigns supreme, like MOBAs, the big companies all want the scene to thrive so they can get dedicated fans.

Dedicated fans appreciate quality multi-player, see MOBA or the StarCraft scene, and will support the games for quite some time giving the company a guaranteed stream of profit. Fighting games are trickier to monetize without seeming like a rip-off though, see SFxTekken.

brettreyu

Can somebody bring me up to speed? How did we go from spooky pulling a stream offline to MrWizard basically proclaiming the death of the FGC?

alstein

Dedicated fans appreciate quality multi-player, see MOBA or the StarCraft scene, and will support the games for quite some time giving the company a guaranteed stream of profit. Fighting games are trickier to monetize without seeming like a rip-off though, see SFxTekken.

What's so tricky about it? FG's should follow the model of TBS games (Civ, Fallen Enchantress, Age of Wonders, etc)

Produce quality gameplay at a quality price with a sane budget, and folks will spend big money on it.

I don't know if the "streaming games" thing is really a concern, as both next gen consoles appear to allow streaming straight out the box, right? It'd be weird for Capcom to push for a ban on their games being streamed when the consoles they're on allow push-of-a-button Twitch & Ustream capabilities. I believe you can even set up an account if you don't have one, through the console. I could be wrong about that last bit.

Granted, that's not going to ever be the same as Spooky doing Battle Circuit. But I can't imagine Capcom would pursue shutdowns on all streams of their fighting games.

Whatever it is has the potential to affect us as casual players and viewers of streams way more than it'll affect top players, according to Max. And the possibility that the makers of these games (Capcom, specifically?) will pull support for games, including patches/tournaments?

Basically, it sounds like people are worried that Capcom are going to start thinking about who they're making these games for, and whether the negative response in a growing spotlight is worth supporting beyond the minimum, thus forcing fighting games into a smaller niche.

kirblar

Can somebody bring me up to speed? How did we go from spooky pulling a stream offline to MrWizard basically proclaiming the death of the FGC?
Apparently a massive sponsorship opportunity went up in flames today because of VxG/NLBC. Confirmed by multiple people.

brettreyu

Apparently a massive sponsorship opportunity went up in flames today because of VxG/NLBC. Confirmed by multiple people.

So essentially everyone is worried that majors/EVO won't have any sponsorship money moving forward? That's not the death of a community its the death of money in a community.

Top Bottom