• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 29 - August 4 | Obey your thirst

I don't know if the "streaming games" thing is really a concern, as both next gen consoles appear to allow streaming straight out the box, right? It'd be weird for Capcom to push for a ban on their games being streamed when the consoles they're on allow push-of-a-button Twitch & Ustream capabilities. I believe you can even set up an account if you don't have one, through the console. I could be wrong about that last bit.

Granted, that's not going to ever be the same as Spooky doing Battle Circuit. But I can't imagine Capcom would pursue shutdowns on all streams of their fighting games.

Whatever it is has the potential to affect us as casual players and viewers of streams way more than it'll affect top players, according to Max. And the possibility that the makers of these games (Capcom, specifically?) will pull support for games, including patches/tournaments?

Basically, it sounds like people are worried that Capcom are going to start thinking about who they're making these games for, and whether the negative response in a growing spotlight is worth supporting beyond the minimum, thus forcing fighting games into a smaller niche.
If next-gen game consoles can universally stream all games through twitch, aren't publishers concerned it'll negatively affect sales?

kuqmVVs.jpg

Daigo in the top left.
Twintails is Mago (Mako).

go on....

kirblar

So essentially everyone is worried that majors/EVO won't have any sponsorship money moving forward? That's not the death of a community its the death of money in a community.
Growth is everything. If you don't grow, you stagnate and start marketing to a slowly dying niche audience. No one wants to go backwards, and to do that, people have to stop acting like selfish turds (or face repercussions.)

GreenScar

I would post a GIF right now, but this is just getting sad.

I can't even just blame Chris G for a systemic problem that certainly isn't new, but for some reason VxG happened to be the last straw.

"Why did one straw break the camel's back? Here's the secret/
The million other straws underneath it/" -- Mos Def

Just a few weeks ago, we were in awe of the scene's growth at EVO--the record breaking viewer numbers, the huge participation rates, the positive and comprehensive coverage at multiple major news sites.

Now we're talking about the FGC potentially being crippled, set back in a big way by the knuckleheaded actions of a few.

*sigh*

Duxxy3

I don't think people realize how serious this issue is. One sponsor pulls out, then another and another.

If players want to go back to pre-09, this is the perfect way to do it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Just a few weeks ago, we were in awe of the scene's growth at EVO--the record breaking viewer numbers, the huge participation rates, the positive and comprehensive coverage at multiple major news sites.

Now we're talking about the FGC potentially being crippled, set back in a big way by the knuckleheaded actions of a few.

*sigh*
Positive changes always take the longest

And Negative changes always take the shortest

One single fuck up can destroy a lifetime of work.

Trying hard to school the kids but its hard.

If anybody knows that struggle you would. I really want the new school to take this places that we never had the opportunity to take it to but I don't know if they want it bad enough though. It was folks like you back in the day who had the ball before it fell to folks like me and we did what we could with it and now it's their turn to do something. If they do is a different story entirely. We'll see I can get through to them though. I love the FGC too much not to try.

And good to know you're around, fam!

Vice

Can somebody bring me up to speed? How did we go from spooky pulling a stream offline to MrWizard basically proclaiming the death of the FGC?

Sponsor are apparently leaving because players can't at least fake a real match instead of just messing around on stream during finals. Look at all the JustinXRicky finals, both are on the same team but they at least appear to play their hardest, it makes EG look good in the eyes of other sponsors and viewers. That's good. Now when other players who are friends or teammates play they dick around in finals. It makes the stream look bad, and if the players are sponsored then their direct sponsors look bad.

If next-gen game consoles can universally stream all games through twitch, aren't publishers concerned it'll negatively affect sales?

haven't heard much about that. I know that during both console announcements, that aspect seemed to go over pretty well, and I didn't see any quotes from publishers expressing that concern. I guess it's possible some publishers are like "Why would they buy our games when they can just watch someone play the game on twitch?" but that doesn't seem like much of a concern at this point, especially when the big question surrounding next-gen consoles was centered around "Why would they buy our games when they can just borrow/loan games to each other?"

At this point, if a publisher is worried about streams, it's gotta be centered around their inability to control the way in which their game is presented, a-la Nintendo's little controversy earlier in the year about let's plays. Nintendo wants a say in how the play of their game is presented online, and they want redirects (if not money) turned back in their direction.

Curious as to what major fighting game tournament sponsor would have pulled out. The word "Collusion" seems to be carrying a bunch of weight. It's become catchphrased already, basically. But it's a heavy-ass word. It just SOUNDS criminal, even when you're using it to describe $100 pot-splits at a weekly tourney. I can see that single word scaring people off from the scene, as it is.

edit: Hell, I guess there might be a general fear that if this keeps up, Twitch itself might say "fuck it" and prohibit SF & MvC tourney streams. But that would be pretty unlikely, considering their viewcounts. And the fact we just came off the most successful EVO, in both size and hype.

Azure J

Positive changes always take the longest

And Negative changes always take the shortest

One single fuck up can destroy a lifetime of work.

For the people "in the know", was the potential sponsor in a league where the opportunity might/will not come around again? Also, from their POV, was it something that couldn't be reversed if you were to enforce disciplinary actions on the people considered guilty of the acts of collusion that led to the change of heart from the sponsor?

brettreyu

Growth is everything. If you don't grow, you stagnate and start marketing to a slowly dying niche audience. No one wants to go backwards, and to do that, people have to stop acting like selfish turds (or face repercussions.)

Totally agree. All the pot splitters who cry foul when they get talked to about it are the problem. That's an entirely narrow view. Without sponsors and company support they wouldn't even be in that situation.

Sponsor are apparently leaving because players can't at least fake a real match instead of just messing around on stream during finals. Look at all the JustinXRicky finals, both are on the same team but they at least appear to play their hardest, it makes EG look god in the eyes of other sponsors and viewers. That's good. Now when other players who are friends or teammates play they dick around in finals. It makes the stream look bad, and if the players direct sponsors look bad.

Makes sense. Thanks for the update.

Astarte

we could just all go to LoL. I mean they already have 100k viewers per LCS which is ran almost weekly for 3 days~.

Being strapped to 4 other stupid people isn't a fun way to live your life

Nah, but I used to read Air Gear.

Why did I read Air Gear?

I've read worse, man.

Is that the one where she looked like Android 18?

I'm mad tempted to read through it again to see if she really does look like Android 18

El Sloth

Banned
Nah, but I used to read Air Gear.

Why did I read Air Gear?
Because Oh! Great keeps tricking people with his good art and promises of delivering the world. And Air Gear did start off with a legitimately interesting premise for a (supposedly) shounen sports comic.

And then it slowly peeled it's mask back to reveal it was made entirely out of shit. A shit covered Obama.

Dahbomb

I wouldn't call it shit, I view LoL as the VS series is to Capcom games and DotA as the SF games
Not really because both are fairly over the top and kinda broken/imbalanced. And besides they are not as far apart as SF and VS series in terms of game play focus.

To me they are both similar to VS games but there is no VS game to compare too so I will just use a 3D fighter analogy.

DOTA 2 is Tekken, LoL is DoA.

Frantic

Because Japan.

Because some realized that they could.

And so they did. Like modern art.

Japan. You ever see the doujin with Hillary Clinton and Obama?
'Yes We Cunt'
When will Japan realize that just because they could do something doesn't mean they should.

Nothing surprises me at this point, but I still find myself questioning these things. The small part of me that could be regarded as 'normal' refuses to give up, it seems.

Dedicated fans appreciate quality multi-player, see MOBA or the StarCraft scene, and will support the games for quite some time giving the company a guaranteed stream of profit. Fighting games are trickier to monetize without seeming like a rip-off though, see SFxTekken.

Xuan Dou Zhi Wang needs an international release.

smurfx

get some go again
Because you liked a fun manga that turned into one of the worst things ever to exist on paper?
oh great mangas always start out pretty cool like tenjho tenge and then he runs out of ideas and it turn into nonsensical garbage. at least the art is pretty cool.

I wouldn't call it shit, I view LoL as the VS series is to Capcom games and DotA as the SF games
That doesn't make sense. DotA is far more extreme and fast-paced than LoL. LoL is like an iOS version of Street Fighter. I won't give it more dignity than that.

Dota isnt popular in the USA compared to LoL.

Gotta play the game that has the largest market!
For now. DotA2 just officially released like...a month ago?

Top Bottom