• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 29 - August 4 | Obey your thirst

Dahbomb

Which one is Virtua Fighter?
If you want to get even more accurate then I would say that DOTA is Virtua Fighter (it came first) and LoL is DoA.

For now. DotA2 just officially released like...a month ago?
More like a couple of weeks ago I think. To be honest the real launch party starts tomorrow with the International.

Shouta

So a sponsorship went up in flames? We're getting a real Pack It Up? Well, hot damn.

Good thing I have a real job and actually play for fun.

Astarte

Yeah, but the thing is...DotA doesn't have the basement low entry level skills necessary to play League. There's no courier, no denying, no forests...you can back out anytime back to base, etc. DotA will at least beat out Smite and HoN (ha), but it will play second fiddle to the easiest MOBA to play in terms of population.

Xuan Dou Zhi Wang needs an international release.

I actually would like that, I've been playing it and it's actually pretty well made. Terry and Benimaru are coming, and someone named King who plays similar Ryu is coming. Though I wouldn't be surprised if some adjustments need to be made because they are showing some insane juggles and damage meterless for characters like Terry (there's one match where he basically did close to 50% meterless juggling with crack shoot and got a stun soon afterwards). Though the game is still in a work in progress and some adjustments need to be made but the systems in place are good. One thing I do not like is that 2 button throws are extremely awkward in a KOF like game. This is because throw ranges aren't that long first of all and that alternate guard is still in, which makes it extremely risky to attempt a throw at times, even people who don't know about alt guarding would unintentionally do it and still make you whiff a throw. Some Terry, Benimaru, and King move list videos.

Terry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YARqFfmdhSQ

Benimaru
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAKhh0iRsuo

King
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi2OhmF99y4#at=66

Dahbomb

HoN is honestly a better game than LoL and the engine plays faster than DOTA. It's sad that the game was mismanaged, it had huge potential but I guess it will always be seen as a DOTA clone with worse art and hero balance.

kuqmVVs.jpg

Daigo in the top left.
Twintails is Mago (Mako).

name?

That doesn't make sense. DotA is far more extreme and fast-paced than LoL. LoL is like an iOS version of Street Fighter. I won't give it more dignity than that.

I highly doubt dota2 will catch on like LoL did. LoL has latched on to different communities. Dota 2 might have a bigger competitive scene in the end, but I highly doubt it will reach the same popularity of LoL in the states.

Also, RE:Collusion, there's a difference between pandering to outside entities for money and showing disrespect for the community and for competition. Top players purposely ruining grand finals is destructive to the game with or without some pot of esports gold at the end of the rainbow. The bad look isn't people using crass language or behaving like enthusiastic 20 year olds, because that's a genuine representation of the community, but if you choose to insult people for giving a shit then they will stop giving a shit.

I haven't played XDZW in a long while because connecting to Chinese servers keeps ruining my connections.

When I get a good connection, it's the best netcode in a fighter I've ever experienced, even against people in china, but it can be as bad as you would expect playing a Chinese online game from the Us to be when it gets bad.

If I consistently got the best level of connection quality the game has, I would go in on it more. But that applies to every fighting game, I guess.

(mostly I mentioned it because it has League's business model, and therefore is the future of fighting games)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Just got some pretty horrible news, in regards and follow up to this whole drama fiasco.

Sadly, I can't say any details, but the course of actions over the past week have dramatically damaged relationships between the FGC and potential big future opportunities.

This is a time where organizers and high-level players choose whether or not we want to grow up, or stay the same extreme minority for the coming future. Really wish I could talk about stuff but it'll probably come out eventually.

edit: and for the naysayers, this has no effect on myself in any way.

Yikes. I hope things can manage to work out eventually, after this drama has settled. Thanks for the info.

HoN is honestly a better game than LoL and the engine plays faster than DOTA. It's sad that the game was mismanaged, it had huge potential but I guess it will always be seen as a DOTA clone with worse art and hero balance.

yea the problem with hon to me was that the new heroes were stupid good aka poor balance , too many effects do it was hard to see anything, but to play compared to lol free to play, and terrible community

MrDaravon

So I take it no one saw Floe's tweet a couple hours ago? I just checked and it's gone, he must have deleted it. Said something to the extent of "maybe time to go back to working" or something like that, gonna see if it's still up on my phone.

For me, Marvel's made me feel like I did something amazing faster than Street Fighter did, but Street Fighter is faster at letting me know why & how that amazing thing came out.

If that makes sense.

kirblar

So I take it no one saw Floe's tweet a couple hours ago? I just checked and it's gone, he must have deleted it. Said something to the extent of "maybe time to go back to working" or something like that, gonna see if it's still up on my phone.
I was under the impression Floe's family was kinda loaded and thus he hadn't been living like he had because of that, not so much the sponsorship deal.

Yup, Marvel is better at making you feel awesome sooner than Street Fighter. If someone feels awesome they have more desire to dive deeper into it. SF has a lot of weird strict technicalities

Not if you play online or against someone. In Street Fighter you might actually get to land a hit before you die.

MrDaravon

I was under the impression Floe's family was kinda loaded and thus he hadn't been living like he had because of that, not so much the sponsorship deal.

No idea honestly. Found it, still in my history on my phone posted ~2 hours ago, was exactly this:

Hmmm I think I might wanna go back to working

When I click on it, it doesn't exist anymore. The fact that he deleted it makes this seem bad.

Dahbomb

I don't get this argument about one game making you feel more awesome than another. In that regard there is no difference between LoL and DOTA. You can start up DOTA, pick Drow/Sniper and feel good about doing big damage or pick Lion/Lina/Tidehunter and unleash your big ulti that is super easy to use. This is no different than with LoL. It's only when you start to get to the nitty gritty where you begin to see the difference but at the entry level stuff both games are equally flashy.

Now strictly talking which game is easier to get into in terms of grasping the basic mechanics to reach a competent level, Marvel 3 is way harder than AE for your average person. Every person who I have tried to get into either game said they had a much easier time picking up AE than Marvel. They always complain about how hard it is to learn movement, how hard it is to figure out team synergies, how hard it is to know when to call assists and how hard it is to be forced to learn at least 3 characters among 50. This is not even getting into how hard it is to block, react to and counter some of the stuff in the game... it's super scary starting out. Now once you get over that initial hump it starts to trail off when you start to reach intermediate level. After that there's another big gap between intermediate and top level play. Intermediate Marvel is not that special and there in terms of results there is hardly a difference between two players where one is better than the other unlike SF4 where at this level a better player usually always prevails.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
If I can get somebody to write some scripts and a group of people to do voice acting, I can make an FGC cartoon a reality.

kirblar

I don't get this argument about one game making you feel more awesome than another. In that regard there is no difference between LoL and DOTA. You can start up DOTA, pick Drow/Sniper and feel good about doing big damage or pick Lion/Lina/Tidehunter and unleash your big ulti that is super easy to use. This is no different than with LoL. It's only when you start to get to the nitty gritty where you begin to see the difference but at the entry level stuff both games are equally flashy.

Now strictly talking which game is easier to get into in terms of grasping the basic mechanics to reach a competent level, Marvel 3 is way harder than AE for your average person. Every person who I have tried to get into either game said they had a much easier time picking up AE than Marvel. They always complain about how hard it is to learn movement, how hard it is to figure out team synergies, how hard it is to know when to call assists and how hard it is to be forced to learn at least 3 characters among 50. This is not even getting into how hard it is to block, react to and counter some of the stuff in the game... it's super scary starting out. Now once you get over that initial hump it starts to trail off when you start to reach intermediate level. After that there's another big gap between intermediate and top level play. Intermediate Marvel is not that special and there in terms of results there is hardly a difference between two players where one is better than the other unlike SF4 where at this level a better player usually always prevails.
It's a difficulty curve thing. SF4 rewards you instantaneously for making good predictions, while Marvel has more of a starting curve.

Not if you play online or against someone. In Street Fighter you might actually get to land a hit before you die.
That's my thinking as well. I have minimal experience in Street Fighter IV, but I can still take rounds off of people (sometimes even matches). Someone new to Marvel won't be able to touch the average Marvel player for months.

Dahbomb

It's a difficulty curve thing. SF4 rewards you instantaneously for making good predictions, while Marvel has more of a starting curve.
Isn't this what we are discussing here? How easy it is to get into a game correlates with its difficulty curve.

Unless I am missing something here.

They whole thing's a really shitty situation for Spooky, they're his friends and he's done a lot to promote them as players yet they can't just pick their characters and play seriously despite how badly the situation's escalated.

What if Valve made a fighting game

It's terrible but I think hat drops would be pretty sick in Fighting Games as somebody who's never spent any money on alternate outfit dlc.

kirblar

Isn't this what we are discussing here? How easy it is to get into a game correlates with its difficulty curve.

Unless I am missing something here.
In Marvel, following up on a "read" takes a lot more effort. It gives the game a lot of room for creativity and depth. But it also creates a barrier between two players that results in hugely lopsided matchups. While you also get the same disparity in say, AE, you can also see a good player get a round taken off them once in a while. The bad player knows they're bad, and so just taking that one round off is an enormous piece of positive feedback. Because of that, getting into Marvel is very daunting for a lot of players, because you'll spend a lot of time grinding without any of that positive feedback.

Top Bottom