• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 15-21 | 16 is barely okay

pixelish

since nobody is making a thread for seam 2015, i'll try to make one. it'll be my first time creating a new thread so i hope it doesn't look booty buttcheeks.

Tripon

CH3CYV8VAAQJaCf.jpg

https://twitter.com/reiketsuhidou/status/611858852049321984

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Man, I entered the the SF5 torunament on thursday not anticipating any pros in my bracket (I saw ricki ortiz entered the 12:00 one so I specifically entered the 2:00 slot), and was met with the first match against Clockwork. I knew the name sounded familiar so I asked my friends and they told me he was a mvc god, so I was pretty intimidated throughout the whole match. But I think I did ok, it felt like there were still a lot of things we both could have learned before playing the set. And in the end he ends up being taken out by another cammy so that makes it all better :p

vulva

when we playing vulva? i need my intake of decapre and chun li lol

Not sure, I just got back in Canada like 3 hrs ago so I'm a bit beat right now. NXNE is going on here so I'm probably gonna be going to a bunch of concerts over the next few days as well.

ShinMaruku

I ponder if they see the arcade trends and decided to not focus on it... If that is I think they can still build up a great local scene by using the cpt and other play center type things.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I can see them possibly releasing in arcades after the PS4 version has been out for a while. Releasing before/concurrently with the PS4 version would be pretty crazy though considering Sony's involvement.

Honestly though arcades are declining hard even in Japan, so Sony doesn't have much incentive to release in arcades beyond pleasing the FGC.

Kimosabae

Banned
The PC environment and Capcom's ability to market their competitive desires adroitly will help define SFV's story if there's no arcade release. Bet it.

Mr. X

I mean, MvC3 had no arcade release and poor netcode.Look at the following in Japan.

Same with SCV.

It's not a death sentence.

I think it'll get one later, like DoA5 did.

I mean, MvC3 had no arcade release and poor netcode.Look at the following in Japan.

Same with SCV.

It's not a death sentence.

I think it'll get one later, like DoA5 did.

MvC3 doesn't have a big community at least compared to the arcade games. KVO was like Japan's evo for that game and other games like Smash. Japan in general doesn't have console tournaments like the US does. Most of the tournaments held in Japan are in arcades.

I will say that SFV at least will have the famous players like Daigo, Momochi, Tokido, etc... so they can pull some of the players towards SFV. Same with the viewers.

damn Smash 4 at CEO could actually hit the cap, that's impressive

meanwhile Melee just crossed 400 too

....and oh yeah, USF4 is over 300 now
but who cares, this is a Smash tournament Kappa

supahkiwi

Banned
Just tuned in...........

Where does she live? I'm guessing Asia? Stream chat at a fighting game major would love her.

Keiko lives in NorCal (San Francisco), but is from Japan. She only started playing since September after going to Evo 2014 (I think that's what she said). Her Yang/Yun is pretty good, I don't really see any chicks play Yang at all.

The chat was giving some solid advice and had a pretty good discussion among themselves, but there were a few thirsty monsters lol.

I think she is gonna be streaming again tonight at Twitch.tv/KeikoQvQ

Why don't JP arcades buy a PS4, put SFV on it, and stick it in a cabinet? That is what Galloping Ghost does for UMvC3.

Probably cheaper overall. :p

Anne

How difficult would adapting a pc version of SFV into a cabinet be? So it becomes coin/payment card operated.

To put it into a cabinet is easy, but for the way JP arcades are set up these days it'd be a bit unwieldy. To set it up on a card system would be impossible without altering the game itself, so let that dream die.

Why don't JP arcades buy a PS4, put SFV on it, and stick it in a cabinet? That is what Galloping Ghost does for UMvC3.

Probably cheaper overall. :p

No return on it for the most part, still costs enough, takes up space for a machine that would bring in income. We do that at Game Galaxy for console games as well, but the business model here is pay a fee at the door, everything is on free play anyways. Plus we have cabs we can shell out for console stuff easily around with spots to put them.

To put it into a cabinet is easy, but for the way JP arcades are set up these days it'd be a bit unwieldy. To set it up on a card system would be impossible without altering the game itself, so let that dream die.

No return on it for the most part, still costs enough, takes up space for a machine that would bring in income. We do that at Game Galaxy for console games as well, but the business model here is pay a fee at the door, everything is on free play anyways. Plus we have cabs we can shell out for console stuff easily around with spots to put them.
Why less return that a normal cabinet?

Do any JP arcades do FTP, pay at the door? I love that model. Best birthday I can ask for. :) Two years ago my wife and I went to Galloping Ghost and beat ~15 arcade games from our childhood together. Had such a blast.

Japanese businesses/gamers would rather pay per play.
They can still do that, maybe?

I don't think that's legal.
Don't tell Galloping Ghost!

On the other hand, Capcom could license arcades to do this.

On a third hand, what about those pay per hour gaming places that exist?

petghost

Banned
There is that esports cafe thing in Tokyo where they seem to do a lot of events...I think topanga was held there. They have comps maybe they could run it off that.

Anne

Why less return that a normal cabinet?

Do any JP arcades do FTP, pay at the door? I love that model.

I'm not an expert, ask somebody in Japan, but I believe that's not a thing from what I've seen. Some places have it so you can rent time on specific cabs, but that's mostly used for recording stuff or other events/projects. As far as I know a lot of modern arcade games run off licensing (like Nesica type systems) where the pubs get a cut off the cab existing there with the game on it.

Again I'm not an expert, just what I've gathered form talking to people who play over there. Ask somebody else who is around there like Jazz-ism.

There is that esports cafe thing in Tokyo where they seem to do a lot of events...I think topanga was held there. They have comps maybe they could run it off that.

Yeah places like that will just run it on PC, some might even have consoles around. Somebody in Japan, how common are these places now?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Not sure, I just got back in Canada like 3 hrs ago so I'm a bit beat right now. NXNE is going on here so I'm probably gonna be going to a bunch of concerts over the next few days as well.

Ducking I see.
I'll be waiting.

Probably won't be able to since I gotta prepare for CEO after this weekend. Gonna get bopped in Street Fighter but I'll sure as hell represent in Mahvel.

OceanBlue

I don't think we should worry about SFV not being in arcades in Japan. It just means more money for American players. :)

Do any JP arcades do FTP, pay at the door? I love that model. Best birthday I can ask for. :) Two years ago my wife and I went to Galloping Ghost and beat ~15 arcade games from our childhood together. Had such a blast.

I think I've seen Japanese players tweet when arcades offer free play. As far as I've seen (and it's probably because I pay more attention to anime games lol) it's for less popular games and only for a few hours.

Quick search brought this up for DFC: https://twitter.com/segaakiba1/status/610778909085315073

Top Bottom