• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | March 25-31 | 12k matches & excelling at other things in life

MrDaravon

I'm super salty that I'm going to miss most of CM5 on Friday, I don't get home until about 6:15 EST :/. Assuming it's running on Tournament Standard Time I'll probably be able to at least catch the finals of it though.

Doomshine

Yeah, it makes sense that I'd want all four main fingers engaged. Just not the way that my hand it used to resting from too much SF. This is the first game that I've played with a four button box for default, I'd probably have the same issue with Persona 4 I imagine. I'll just have to get used to it.

Tekken is also less lenient when it comes to button buffering, you'll find that it's probably easier to press two buttons at once in Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter.

One thing you can do is to pre-buffer the command. Let's say you know you have 1+4 coming up in a combo, try to hold either 1 or 4 in advance and then press the other to make sure you get the move.

8ecf35c874f1e0df7ed48bd069735333.jpeg

https://twitter.com/nycfurby/status/316239158735683585

blah...I remember furby having withdrawals before the release of Mortal Kombat and SFxT and Tekken and Soul Calibur and Persona and KOF and Arcana Heart 3 and...you get the picture.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Keep poverty chat and main stream/Spooky chat up, everything else off. Maximum viewership and the occasional chat chuckle guaranteed.
Good call on poverty chat. How about now?

I'll probably use this one for the main layout and have a link at the top to turn all the chat boxes on/off.

supahkiwi

Banned
@Dacidbro 10m
@TwitchTV is capping followers at 100 right now, apparently not a bug. I feel like this hurts small streamers the most, kind of concerned

What, is this 100 follower cap on Twitch.tv true? Holy shit

vocab

blah...I remember furby having withdrawals before the release of Mortal Kombat and SFxT and Tekken and Soul Calibur and Persona and KOF and Arcana Heart 3 and...you get the picture.

That seems to be all fighting game players in general.

Man this game is so good!
Stops playing after a week.

Not surprised at all with that twitch change if true, they killed the competition and now the monopoly starts, get ready for more stupid changes.

Final Round Predictions:

Curleh Mustache: NYC
AE: Infiltration
SFxT: ResidentSleeper
TTT2: Knee
UMVC3: Chris G

AE: Infiltration
SFxT: Infiltration
Tekken: Knee
UMvC3: ChrisG

Those are basically my predictions (except Tekken because I don't know Tekken but sure).

My top 3 I think will be it for Marvel will be Chris G, PR Rog, and Yipes, in that order.

As for Curleh Mustache, I definitely think NY will take it, and my other picks for the next two would be NorCal and Team Latin America just because of potential surprise factor.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
That seems to be all fighting game players in general.

Man this game is so good!
Stops playing after a week.

I'm getting Injustice, but yeah, this is why I don't take known FG players seriously when they're talking about a game that isn't out.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm getting Injustice, but yeah, this is why I don't take known FG players seriously when they're talking about a game that isn't out.
Amen. It happens to every game, this time around because people like Art are likely getting paid for promo/have vested interest in the game because they've worked on it and it's so transparent, their opinions mean even less.

We all remember SFxTK is the greatest game ever. It's amazing how much of GAF swung in favour of that game just hearing some pros say they like it, or how much Cross Assault did to change folks opinions on the game from before only to end up in the same place when they finally bought it.

kirblar

Amen. It happens to every game, this time around because people like Art are likely getting paid for promo/have vested interest in the game because they've worked on it and it's so transparent, their opinions mean even less.

We all remember SFxTK is the greatest game ever. It's amazing how much of GAF swung in favour of that game just hearing some pros say they like it, or how much Cross Assault did to change folks opinions on the game from before only to end up in the same place when they finally bought it.
SFxT is a great example of how balance issues can totally wreck a well-designed game. (Ignoring the DLC/Gems debacle.)

PSAS is an example of how balance doesn't matter if the game just isn't fun to begin with.

kirblar

Pretty sure this has to have been done in a fighting game before- a character who can leave their shadow(s) behind on the field to mimic their attacks later?

Dahbomb

Well I haven't seen that. Only other option I could think of is Sub Zero planting his ice clones on the field. Seems like it could be a cool mechanic, maybe you can teleport to your shadows for crazy mix ups and mind games.

That was mostly the core like the people who post in here regularly. Casuals and your average gaffer clearly didn't bite like they did with the SFIV series or Vanilla MvC3.

We're actually the easiest market for Capcom to convince.

Satch Fuji

Neo Member
Pretty sure this has to have been done in a fighting game before- a character who can leave their shadow(s) behind on the field to mimic their attacks later?

David Sirlin put up a concept video for a Street Fighter pitch back in the day that was routinely mocked on the SRK forums. I think the video showed Ken in ST doing a light dragon punch that missed, so that later you could recall that DP with the touch a button. Essentially your calling your past self as an assist later in a match. Yeah, it didn't make much sense.

Nyoro SF

I liked the idea of SFxT. But it's pretty hard to judge a fighter until you play it. I gave it its fair chance and then put it down...

Dahbomb

Yea the casuals don't know who Mike Ross or Flash Metroid are. Only the people in the FGC would get excited and the FGC isn't that large compared to the casuals. Most casuals saw SFxT as an ugly looking cash grab game by Capcom coming off the heels of another cash grab (UMVC3). The respect that casuals have on Capcom had dwindled greatly over the past year. Expect games like Remember Me and Lost Planet 3 to bomb, DmC has already bombed.

kirblar

David Sirlin put up a concept video for a Street Fighter pitch back in the day that was routinely mocked on the SRK forums. I think the video showed Ken in ST doing a light dragon punch that missed, so that later you could recall that DP with the touch a button. Essentially your calling your past self as an assist later in a match. Yeah, it didn't make much sense.
Yeah, I... don't get Sirlin.

kirblar

Well I haven't seen that. Only other option I could think of is Sub Zero planting his ice clones on the field. Seems like it could be a cool mechanic, maybe you can teleport to your shadows for crazy mix ups and mind games.
Why on earth didn't I think of this pre-DS character creation contest? :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That was mostly the core like the people who post in here regularly. Casuals and your average gaffer clearly didn't bite like they did with the SFIV series or Vanilla MvC3.

We're actually the easiest market for Capcom to convince.
Yea the casuals don't know who Mike Ross or Flash Metroid are. Only the people in the FGC would get excited and the FGC isn't that large compared to the casuals. Most casuals saw SFxT as an ugly looking cash grab game by Capcom coming off the heels of another cash grab (UMVC3).
Around GAF at least, SFxTK is talked about pretty positively. Lots of people thought it looked cool and I see people talking about wanting to get it or fiending for sales and stuff. Obviously less now, but the FGC took the DLC stuff and made a huge deal of it.

...then all bought the game anyways and gave it decent sales numbers to date.

vocab

I fell for the sfxt hype. I just wanted to play rolento and poison. It sucks I got a game that felt very sfiv like to me. I sold it off pretty fast. I do own the pc version now, but its a complete waste of time when its not even 2013 patch.

My next capcom fighting purchase is gonna be a wait and see approach.

Top Bottom