• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 20-26 | RIP PushaTee88

Rainy

Banned
I had to leave and just came back now, it says 30 minutes, but what time are the next matches starting exactly?

Edit: nvm.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I fucking hate these break bullshit making its way into the FGC tournaments. It has happened at a few tournaments now.

Fucking try hard eSports bullshit.

This tournament is the worst offender yet.

Beesuit

It baffles my mind as well why do they need all these breaks. Is it for the players or what?

I mean when half your broadcast time is spent on breaks, I feel that's when you've got something wrong.

It baffles my mind as well why do they need all these breaks. Is it for the players or what?

I mean when half your broadcast time is spent on breaks, I feel that's when you've got something wrong.

Schedule

Day 2 (Sunday)

3:40 PM — AvM|GamerBee vs. Dark Jiewa
4:00 PM — RZR|Xian vs. CCG|Humanbomb
4:20 PM — RZR|Gackt vs. AvM|GamerBee
4:40 PM — Poongko vs. MCZ|Daigo
5:00 PM — RZR|Xian vs. RZR|Gackt
7:00PM-9:00PM — Grand Finals between #1 and #2 of the Round Robin

Beesuit

Yes, I stand corrected.

But shit, these extended periods sure make it feel like half the time.

The only reason I can think of as to why we have these breaks is so that the streamer gets a breather every now and then. The players and commentators are on a roster so they'll naturally be able to get breaks despite matches going on one after another.

GeoNeo

I disagree.

So they can keep replaying that same shitty advertisement video graphic over and over again.

They must have promised sponsors that much allotted time to advertising their stuff.

Hey y'all.

I'm actually thinking about making an effort to learn competitive Smash. Does anyone have a solid tutorial video for beginners that goes beyond the mechanics that are already explained in the game?
All of the info is scattered right now. Do you have specific questions?

Manbig

All of the info is scattered right now. Do you have specific questions?

Well that's kind of the problem. I don't know where to even start, so it's hard to even know what question to ask other than a break down of gameplay mechanics that are not explained in the game, like special movement options, how the flow of the game works, what constitutes as a legitimate combo, what are the types of properties that moves can have (armor break, invuln frames, etc..)I guess that stuff kind of goes beyond what a typical beginner guide can provide.

I'm not new to fighting games, but this one is so different from your typical fighter that I just don't really know where to start.

Sayah

Well that's kind of the problem. I don't know where to even start, so it's hard to even know what question to ask other than a break down of gameplay mechanics that are not explained in the game, like special movement options, how the flow of the game works, what constitutes as a legitimate combo, what are the types of properties that moves can have (armor break, invuln frames, etc..)I guess that stuff kind of goes beyond what a typical beginner guide can provide.

I'm not new to fighting games, but this one is so different from your typical fighter that I just don't really know where to start.

I think Smash is best played by just going right in. It's really simple to pick up. Of course, it can get more advanced but the best way to learn it is to just play it. You don't need to do heavy reading on guides or watch a bunch of tutorials before you start. At least, that's my perspective on Smash.

Hmm. You could look up guides to the older Smash games. It won't always hold true for the current version, but it will give you ideas.

Or, if you want, PM me your FC and I Will spar with you and offer advice. My FC is in my profile.

Sayah

Hmm. You could look up guides to the older Smash games. It won't always hold true for the current version, but it will give you ideas.

Or, if you want, PM me your FC and I Will spar with you and offer advice. My FC is in my profile.

I don't know about that. The older versions especially don't apply to the new game. Even the veteran characters seem to all have had property changes in moves or other alterations. Sparring with you is probably a better idea. :p

Also, I need this confirmed. Can Peach still cancel her jump and float close to the ground?

Marz

I think Smash is best played by just going right in. It's really simple to pick up. Of course, it can get more advanced but the best way to learn it is to just play it. You don't need to do heavy reading on guides or watch a bunch of tutorials before you start. At least, that's my perspective on Smash.

Pretty spot on, especially any game in the series that isn't melee.

Just play the game often against other people, preferably find your local scene and play often with them.

Its not like Tekken or Street Fighter where you need to learn several crucial skills and learn frame data to play.

I don't know about that. The older versions especially don't apply to the new game. Even the veteran characters seem to all have had property changes in moves or other alterations. Sparring with you is probably a better idea. :p

Also, I need this confirmed. Can Peach still cancel her jump and float close to the ground?
I have seen her floating close to the ground, but I don't know if it was jump canceled.

There are a lot of mechanics shared between games.If he wants to know stuff like hopping, perfectshielding, shielding from a dash, dash canceled into utilt, etc., the older games had all that.

NEO0MJ

Any way to play Smash brothers with an Arcade stick?

You wouldn't want that. Smash is one of those games that need a regular controller to play good.

If you want to try it though maybe you can use the TvC stick in brawl or a one of those controller converter dongles. The game will hae to be able to read the arcade sticks direction inputter as an analogue stick for it to work well, though.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
You wouldn't want that. Smash is one of those games that need a regular controller to play good.

If you want to try it though maybe you can use the TvC stick in brawl or a one of those controller converter dongles. The game will hae to be able to read the arcade sticks direction inputter as an analogue stick for it to work well, though.

Sounds like a plan.

Rainy

Banned
If Xian beats Daigo, would someone else move into that 6th spot since Xian would move from the point players to the auto-qualifying players?

Edit: Daigo so ridic at the end of that round.

Sayah

Pretty spot on, especially any game in the series that isn't melee.

Just play the game often against other people, preferably find your local scene and play often with them.

Its not like Tekken or Street Fighter where you need to learn several crucial skills and learn frame data to play.

Yes. Local play/competition is likely best for this.

I have seen her floating close to the ground, but I don't know if it was jump canceled.

There are a lot of mechanics shared between games.If he wants to know stuff like hopping, perfectshielding, shielding from a dash, dash canceled into utilt, etc., the older games had all that.

I was more so talking about character changes. As far as system changes, I have yet to play the game and don't know half the stuff that it changed or didn't change.

capture61qi8.png

Does Daigo still have a chance to make it to Capcom Cup or was that it?

Daigo is in the final later on, so he was clearly giving no fucks.

Not that he could necessarily deal with all Poongko's play...but it was clear he wasn't going to be doing it when it meant nothing. You'll see the real answers (if any) if they play the FT7.

Rainy

Banned
I believe if Gackt 3-0s Xian, Poongko will face Daigo in GF based on games won. (Probably won't happen but yeah.)

Edit: nvm its the differential, not the games won. It's been a long day...

Does Daigo still have a chance to make it to Capcom Cup or was that it?

It's round robin, Daigo and Xian (I think he only lost to Daigo though I might be misremembering) are pretty much locked for grand finals.

edit: It looks like Xian is 5/9 and Poongko is 5/4, so I think Xian is locked in.

BadWolf

He's still in it's just a matter of it being an incredibly uphill climb or not.

Daigo is in the final later on, so he was clearly giving no fucks.

Not that he could necessarily deal with all Poongko's play...but it was clear he wasn't going to be doing it when it meant nothing. You'll see the real answers (if any) if they play the FT7.

It's round robin, Daigo and Xian (I think he only lost to Daigo though I might be misremembering) are pretty much locked for grand finals.

Thanks guys :)

Top Bottom