• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 20-26 | RIP PushaTee88

Hey that does not make it right to do or even legal within the rules.

I can see this picking up steam to punish Xian. Will be interesting to see what happens (if anything.)

I'd prefer his spot go to someone else that does not partake in such behaviour.

You mean like Daigo? Who gave zero fucks against Poongko, basically taunted, did random stuff and lost?

Nothing will happen because there is no drama here and it is just the nature of the format. Sometimes you get dead matches, sometimes you get sudden death cliff hangers. You might argue the rules need to be clarified to cover this case, but I think we all know it is two guys who have already made a final and this isn't exactly law school.

Now if Xian doesn't perform in the final, you have a point. But I'm sure he'll bring at least "something".

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Yes it does.

:V

Sorry I don't buy it.

The rules clearly state no intentionally under performing allowed.

Anyway he will get what is coming to him if the Capcom Cup runners decide so.

Hopefully even if nothing is done he still takes the backlash as a sign that people don't like this type of trash.

What you witnessed was an inherent flaw in the round robin format: in the later matches of a tournament, there tends to be at least a few literally meaningless matches where players have no incentive to win. Once Xian clinched the 2nd place spot, there was no reason for him to do anything to let Daigo get a read on him for the finals match.

That can be argued less for Xian and more for...pretty much every other player in this format, since really only the top 2 placings matter. Yet matches where people were out of the running, like Gamerbee beating Gackt with Elena made a huge difference in the final outcome.

You mean like Daigo? Who gave zero fucks against Poongko, basically taunted, did random stuff and lost?

Just because he lost doesn't mean he threw it.

Marz

Sorry I don't buy it.

Hopefully even if nothing is done he still takes the backlash as a sign that people don't like this type of trash.

You're overreacting my Dood. Calm down, its OK...the sanctity of your precious Capcom Cup is still intact.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Sorry I don't buy it.

I kind of hope you scold jaywalkers with all of the same sincerity and passion displayed here.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
That can be argued less for Xian and more for...pretty much every other player in this format, since really only the top 2 placings matter. Yet matches where people were out of the running, like Gamerbee beating Gackt with Elena made a huge difference in the final outcome.

Just because he lost doesn't mean he threw it.

Agreed.

Reading twitter the FGC illuminati seem to be supporting Xian. Doubt any real investigation will take place on the matter.

Oh well.

Did not watch that match.

If he was clearly under performing on purpose he should be punished too.

But that is the thing, how can you not underperform when literally nothing is on the line?

This is completely different from a regular tournament. Even if the pot is split, you should be wanting to win the trophy, in the very least to respect everything that is going on. There is never a dead match in a double elimination setting.

But in this case, they had nothing to play for. I've been in this situation many times myself, not in fighting games of course, but other sports. When it is a dead rubber? You just don't care and you will not play at your highest level.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I kind of hope you scold jaywalkers with all of the same sincerity and passion displayed here.

I personally don't jay walk because it is against the law.

If an investigation took place on other Jay walkers for breaking the law it is understandable. (Plus people that are caught Jaywalking are punished one only needs to google it and see people who have been fined.)

It is clear however such an investigation will not take place on Xian under performing.

I will be cheering against Xian at Capcom Cup.

Thankfully respectful and honourable player like Snake Eyes will be at Capcom Cup so I will cheer him on to body Xian.

Tizoc

Guys help me out here:
What's the name of that Jackie Chan fighting game that used motion capture like Mortal Kombat? It's the one where Jackie is in it wearing a white general costume and as another character with a different outfit.

Guys help me out here:
What's the name of that Jackie Chan fighting game that used motion capture like Mortal Kombat? It's the one where Jackie is in it wearing a white general costume and as another character with a different outfit.

Fists of Fire?

It is clear however such an investigation will not take place on Xian under performing.

You'll be happy to know I just undertook a full investigation. It is all ok.

alstein

I got no problem with what Xian did. It's a match where you have nothing on the line, and nothing for anyone else, why not try a different character? (provided that he didn't intentionally lose with Gief, which I don't think he did)

Collusion is when you work in concert with someone else, it's not collusion to intentionally sandbag to benefit yourself.

Sarquiss_

It is because of BS like what Xian and Diago pulled that the FGC will never be taken seriously. There is no other "sport" in the world where intentionally not performing at your best is accepted and we shouldn't accept it either.

Not only is it cheating but it is also disrespectful to the other participants. We should hold everyone within the FGC to a higher standard no matter if you are just new to the scene or if you are a veteran.

It is because of BS like what Xian and Diago pulled that the FGC will never be taken seriously. There is no other "sport" in the world where intentionally not performing at your best is accepted and we shouldn't accept it either.

Every sport in the world is like this.

Put a team in a dead rubber and see how they perform. Towards the end of the season when a team can't make the finals, do they not blood young players or try new tactics?

Come on guys.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
There is no other "sport" in the world where intentionally not performing at your best is accepted and we shouldn't accept it either.
I've seen late-season NFL games where teams start their 2nd or 3rd-string players after they've clinched 1st seed in the playoffs.

How scandalous.

Don't drag Daigo into Xian's nonsense. Do you seem him picking gief and rolento?

thanks todd. now guys who didn't even watch the match are going off.

Lemstar

cosplay is totally fighting game related https://twitter.com/nagi731/status/526325950586183681

Not only is it cheating but it is also disrespectful to the other participants. We should hold everyone within the FGC to a higher standard no matter if you are just new to the scene or if you are a veteran.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_76ers#2013-present:_The_Hinkie_Era.2FArrival_of_MCW

How exactly did Daigo clearly collude? He lost 3-2. If he sandbagged it wasn't clearly obvious and he still had to win 1 game from Poongko to get 1st place in the round robin. It's a huge advantage in the grand finals.

Sarquiss_

Every sport in the world is like this.

Put a team in a dead rubber and see how they perform. Towards the end of the season when a team can't make the finals, do they not blood young players or try new tactics?

Come on guys.

Giving young players within the team the opportunity to gain experience or having the team try new tactics that they can gain experience and evolve from while trying their best is completely different to what happened with Xian. It was plainly obvious that he picked a character which he has no intentions of using one regular basis in the future.

Seriously, would he had pulled this stunt if he was playing anyone other than his friend? Hell no......

pixelish

so anyway, any predictions for the final score of the grand finals later?

i have a strong feeling of daigo blowing xian up. 7-2

Sarquiss_

Also, I only included Diago in my post as it was obvious he wasn't colluding but was just trying to be disrespectful and an asshole.

He has the potential to body anyone - as he has proven time and time again but Ijust hate the attitude and completely disrespectful behaviour.

Edit:

Xian will win as karma will cause Diago to once again choke. Keep being free Diago keep being free....

Well, clearly I think pretty differently to some people on this one. I'll just say it is natural for both Xian and Daigo to save their best for the grand final, once they knew is was assured.

so anyway, any predictions for the final score of the grand finals later?

i have a strong feeling of daigo blowing xian up. 7-2

That is most likely, but I feel like Xian was intelligently saving himself for the final so I'll go for him to win 7-4.

:p

GeoNeo

I disagree.
"Hey guys we went on a break. But now we are tired from the break so we are going on break."

LOL

This is the worst run tournament I have watched in a long time.

Kikujiro

What? This happens regularly in "serious" sports too and it's way worse:
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/jun/18/euro-2012-sweden-denmark-2-2

I don't agree with what Xian did, but it's not as serious as some of you are implying it to be. The results were already decided and nobody lost/gained anything (well a 3rd/4th spot swap which didn't mean anything).

Interest in capcom cup? Rising...

Enjoyable little tournament and you can see Daigo is getting a lot better with the character. While he still wouldn't be the favourite, I think he is a lot like Batman. Given enough preparation time? He is just about unbeatable.

Daigo wins 7-2, that was pretty free. It's good to know the Beast is involved in the Capcom Cup this year. Was disappointing that he didn't really try to qualify last year. Capcom Cup is going to be pretty amazing this year. Hopefully it's 3/5 the whole way with no other games to get in the way.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I just come back from watching Daigo wrecking shop like he always should, to read people saying here that Daigo colluded vs. Poongko.

Daigo.

Colluding.

What is wrong with you all.

Anyways, glad to see my boy guaranteed to be there by earning it, even though he should have just been there by principle because of his past accomplishments, but he did it legit regardless.

Now I got a reason to watch Capcom Cup in San Fran.

Interest in capcom cup? Rising...

Enjoyable little tournament and you can see Daigo is getting a lot better with the character. While he still wouldn't be the favourite, I think he is a lot like Batman. Given enough preparation time? He is just about unbeatable.

In a tournament such as the Capcom Cup Finals, I don't think you can name a favorite. But I'm sure most of the qualified players will have at least 1 player/match up that they'd rather not run into on there way to trying to win the whole thing. Daigo will be a popular pick to win the whole thing though regardless.

Beesuit

^ Daigo's going to have one of the biggest targets on his back.

lmao, Daigo throwing the freebies to the girls at frontstage

toddhunter was just really desperate to justify xian's actions

Excuse me?

I suggested that Daigo played exactly the same as Xian. Neither of them had anything to play for and neither of them played their best.

This is not collusion and it shouldn't be a hard concept to understand.

pixelish

even though daigo won the tournament, i have to congratulate poongko for being the only one who managed to beat daigo which makes him the true champion of the weekend.

SlimXx

I5oFK73.jpg

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
toddhunter was just really desperate to justify xian's actions

It was mostly for Sarquiss_'s bs post, but I still also stand by the point that Daigo would never hold back or sandbag - why would he after after beating everyone else at the tournament, and why just for Poongko? It does nothing for Poongko, and it's not like Daigo is on battery power to have to conserve himself for Xian.

Excuse me?

I suggested that Daigo played exactly the same as Xian. Neither of them had anything to play for and neither of them played their best.

This is not collusion and it shouldn't be a hard concept to understand.

Daigo certainly did not sandbag. 3-2 with how hard Poongko had played was certainly not sandbagging. Even pretending that you didn't know Daigo's history as someone who doesn't get into nonsense like that, which part of that match gave that indication to you?

Oh damn I'm missing out on Drama! In all seriousness, I need to catch up on it.

Sayad

What! Do you actually watch sport?! 'Cause under-performing/not playing seriously when the match have no consequences on either teams/players standing is a regular thing in sport and is completely acceptable.

Top Bottom