• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 20-26 | RIP PushaTee88

I'd want Viscant coaching me. I'd be able to understand him, and his execution is as bad as mine so he wouldn't suggest anything I couldn't do.

You'd also be able to take home some of his insults to use.

It's definitely not new. I think I recall him, marn and justin offering lessons. It was like $50/hour.

The amount of Freddos you can buy with that.

Do teach people via online lessons because I'm in Europe and I'm interested. I wouldn't mind getting in on some of that American tech like stick throwing and salt heaving. [HugeKappaFace.jpg]

Beesuit

Many of the Starcraft and probably other eSports player have beeing doing the same thing for years as well.

I personally dislike it tbh, it just feels like your nickle and diming your audience and only see them as a piggy bank.

Kimosabae

Banned
It's more likely than anything else that none of these things will be the case

So people try and fail. Let the market dictate where the value for such a service and its standards should be set. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Nothing learned.

I think the premise itself is laudable. It's just going to take someone with enough focus and integrity to do it well and set a respectable standard. Just kicking someone's ass for an hour and then telling "Do this... don't do this... focus more on this." isn't worth $50 dollars and hour (but maybe about $25).

While there is something to be said about people being lazy, you shouldn't dismiss the fact that researching things others that are more experienced than you already know can be a huge waste of time. Instead of learning the proper way to maximize your calorie intake while lowering your fat intake and optimizing your blah blah blah you could be working out and getting your ideal body because someone else has already put in the time.

Aren't most team sports built around having teams of trainers and whatnot around to keep the athletes in their best condition? Of course, there are usually millions and billions of dollars on the line for them.

Pretty much.

If all it took was information to get in great shape - everyone would be in great shape. If it all it took was information to be a great fighting game player - everyone would be a great fighting game player.

Information is overflowing but people lack discipline when left to their own devices and are easily distracted (even by the information itself!). What having a trainer does (outside providing knowledge and experience) is help keep you focused, hold you accountable for accomplishing tasks (goal setting) and help maintain an objective overview of your progress (or regress) via activity logs.

People underestimate the value of coaching in the West (outside traditional sports) because of individualistic social conditioning when the reality is that nothing is accomplished in this world on your own. Everyone gets help from somewhere - some just require less of a vis' a vis' interaction than others. Those people simply tend to have fewer potential distractions in their lives to help keep them focused, which is actually a really privileged position to have.

We could all be freaking rocket scientists via the internet if we wanted to. But most people aren't going to accomplish that long term goal without the structure and accountability that the academic setting provides.

Hey y'all.

I'm actually thinking about making an effort to learn competitive Smash. Does anyone have a solid tutorial video for beginners that goes beyond the mechanics that are already explained in the game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vckV2MJgBzo

This is for Melee, but it's a good springboard for getting into the scene (assuming you own that game). Even if you don't learn to play Melee, I'd watch the video at the very least, because having some understanding of how Melee works will give you an appreciation for it, and help stop you from making some really stupid comments on the internet in the future.

Daigo certainly did not sandbag. 3-2 with how hard Poongko had played was certainly not sandbagging. Even pretending that you didn't know Daigo's history as someone who doesn't get into nonsense like that, which part of that match gave that indication to you?

Standing over his opponent, throwing five jabs for no reason and then dashing across the length of the stage right into an attack?

Superman0

Standing over his opponent, throwing five jabs for no reason and then dashing across the length of the stage right into an attack?

The problem is you don't think there is a reason, but I am sure Daigo beg to differ. Also, it looks to me like his jab was to bait out a dp. As for the dash, Daigo has done it in the past where he would dash up and throw his opponent. It just happen that Poongko wasn't afraid and counter his dash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Qwee46xp0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe3q2XopNAY

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

What, the baiting you mean?

As for the dash, haven't you ever seen Daigo dash in from a full screen away just to throw someone? I think he even did it to Xian in the massacre from back then. It was definitely against a notable opponent, that's for sure. He does dash up throw every now and then, it just didn't work that time.

Malice215

I fell asleep before the finals, and now waking up to read some really ridiculous statements.

Glad that Daigo put in work. Capcom Cup is going to be amazing this year.

People looking for conspiracy theories trying to quench that thirst for drama need to stop.

CurlyW

Giving young players within the team the opportunity to gain experience or having the team try new tactics that they can gain experience and evolve from while trying their best is completely different to what happened with Xian. It was plainly obvious that he picked a character which he has no intentions of using one regular basis in the future.

Seriously, would he had pulled this stunt if he was playing anyone other than his friend? Hell no......

This happens in every sport. Teams in basketball/American football/baseball/ice hockey who have already clinched playoff spots don't try very hard at the end of the regular season so their stars don't get hurt. Teams in basketball and American football who have very bad records also don't try very hard at the end of the season because they want to finish with worse records so as to get a better pick in the draft. To say that it's "to get their young player's experience" is laughable.

This also happens in competitive gaming.

This was the last match in the round-robin stage of the TI4 European qualifiers. Both teams had already secured the top two spots in the standings.

And this was the last match in the round-robin stage of the TI4 American qualifiers. Liquid had already qualified for the playoffs as a top 2 seed. Union needed to win in order to force a 3-way tiebreaker for the 3 and 4 spots.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry I don't buy it.

The rules clearly state no intentionally under performing allowed.

Anyway he will get what is coming to him if the Capcom Cup runners decide so.

Hopefully even if nothing is done he still takes the backlash as a sign that people don't like this type of trash.

Drop that rule book on em!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If a game doesn't effect the outcome of anything why would you waste energy on it.

Because you want to give a show to people watching that don't mean shit? Yeah fat chance.

Sorry I can completely understand why dead games happen. Blame the format not the players.

Infinite

Alright. Whatever it is it's pointless I guess. Congrats to Daigo clinching a spot for Capcom Cup.

Also, Yipes uploaded a session between him, Jeron, and Sanford to his YouTube channel. I watched it for a bit and I gotta say his Evil Ryu is getting better and his overall sf4 game seems to have improve greatly. Imagine getting Yipes, Sanford, Dieminion, and
Yung
Arturo with the new blood like Smug and Shine all at NLBC. Would be fantastic for the stream monsters and the NY scene itself.

I think team pie is doing a house stream tonight as well.

If a game doesn't effect the outcome of anything why would you waste energy on it.

Because you want to give a show to people watching that don't mean shit? Yeah fat chance.

Sorry I can completely understand why dead games happen. Blame the format not the players.

This is what happens when spectators think they should matter.

Why the RR format anyways?

CurlyW

Why the RR format anyways?

Players get to play more matches. Viewers get to see more matches. Theoretically it's the only format that actually properly determines the best player down to the worst player. (Double elim only theoretically ensures that the top 2 players are the best 2.) The Smash community has been doing round-robin pools for the longest time.

Anyone know if the Gamecube controllers that are gonna be coming with Smash 4 will actually work on GCs or if they're just modeled after them?

I've been thinking I should try to learn Melee competitively since it's the best at what it does.

Are some really saying Daigo didn't take his match against Poongko seriously? He clearly lost because he got caught up in way too many Seth vortexes and didn't have the chance to recover. He had to play unpredictably to have a decent chance against's Poongko's coin flipping gameplay.

And don't know why Xian even bothered to "hide" his Gen in his last match before GF. Daigo was gonna body him regardless, because of the following reasons:

1. Daigo defeated him 10-0 in AE2012 using Ryu.
2. Gen got nerfed in Ultra.
3. Ultra E.Ryu is much stronger than AE2012 Ryu.

Looking back I can't think of any reason he would throw that match besides allowing his buddy to get higher prize money. You might say it's only $100 but that still makes a difference.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Hugo is carrying around a naked woman.

iZX46fWczwIaO.gif

Infinite

Are some really saying Daigo didn't take his match against Poongko seriously? He clearly lost because he got caught up in way too many Seth vortexes and didn't have the chance to recover. He had to play unpredictably to have a decent chance against's Poongko's coin flipping gameplay.

And don't know why Xian even bothered to "hide" his Gen in his last match before GF. Daigo was gonna body him regardless, because of the following reasons:

1. Daigo defeated him 10-0 in AE2012 using Ryu.
2. Gen got nerfed in Ultra.
3. Ultra E.Ryu is much stronger than AE2012 Ryu.

Looking back I can't think of any reason he would throw that match besides allowing his buddy to get higher prize money. You might say it's only $100 but that still makes a difference.

That seems like even more reason for Xian to at least test the waters with other characters in those matches. I didn't see what went down but I assume he used Poison? Yeah, I definitely would have tried my luck with Poison and try to learn what a can about Daigo's Evil Ryu versus Poison since I'm going to meet up with him eventually maybe at Capcom Cup where there is a lot more money and prestige on the line.

Anne

Stickbug posted some of the anime JP players coming to NEC on twitter

For those who are lazy:

Ruu (@ruubri), Satou (@alisatu32), Dora (@dora_bang), Abegen (@abegen21), and Kyamei (@hir0yuk1) are all NEC bound.

sounds like a good time. Also, I will be there! Come say hello, I do not bite.

kirblar

What you witnessed was an inherent flaw in the round robin format: in the later matches of a tournament, there tends to be at least a few literally meaningless matches where players have no incentive to win. Once Xian clinched the 2nd place spot, there was no reason for him to do anything to let Daigo get a read on him for the finals match.
Yup, this is a flaw in Round Robin- this happened in the Olympics as well. Should not be used.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Daigo won. Yay.

Isn't Xian already qualified beforehand? He could've joked around during the whole thing if then if he pleases. Nothing wrong with that.

kirblar

Daigo won. Yay.

Isn't Xian already qualified beforehand? He could've joked around during the whole thing if then if he pleases. Nothing wrong with that.
Well, there's the non-zero difference in Prize Money. He had every reason to not want to play seriously against Daigo in the RR once he and Daigo were locked for 1/2.

Malice215

I think TKONY2014 was either round robin or Swiss for similar reasons.

TKONY was just a round robin. Swiss takes the winners of round robin pools and places them into a double elim bracket to determine a winner.

I personally like the swiss format better because players get to play more matches instead of just going 0-2, but ultimately it will depend on how much time and resources you have available for the format you decide to go with. Round robins are better for determining the overall best player, however in the later stages you get pointless matches once you get to a point where you clearly know who the #1 player is.

As for Xian, don't blame him, blame the format and Capcom for making Gen trash in Ultra. Now people tight because he didn't beat Gackt who he plays with often and would know his tendencies 3-0 just so Poongko could get 3rd place instead of 4th? Ha.

I went back and watched the match. If he wanted to intentionally throw the match, he could have picked DeeJay or some shit. Instead he went with Zangief. Once he lost that first match, he probably lost the motivation to play because there's nothing for him to play for at that point since he's already in 2nd place.

Plus where's his history of collusion? I don't see the history to suggest that he would compared to other teams who have a long history of it, and even benefited from it in this pro tour. Plus he needed all the help that he could to stop Daigo from murdering him in the finals, so why give him even more help by letting him watch another set with your main to gather more data from?

Anyway, I got the result that I wanted and I'm sure that everyone else wants which is Daigo in the CPT finals, so why ruin that trying to grasp for drama?

TKONY was just a round robin. Swiss takes the winners of round robin pools and places them into a double elim bracket to determine a winner.

That's actually just a thing you graft onto the Swiss tournament to have hype finals, not a part of the tournament format itself. It has it's benefits but also introduces problems that aren't present in a pure Swiss tournament (you have to determine cuts, tiebreakers and such and get people drawing into elimination rounds once they've calculated they're safe)

Marz

I personally like the swiss format better because players get to play more matches instead of just going 0-2, but ultimately it will depend on how much time and resources you have available for the format you decide to go with. Round robins are better for determining the overall best player, however in the later stages you get pointless matches once you get to a point where you clearly know who the #1 player is.

As for Xian, don't blame him, blame the format and Capcom for making Gen trash in Ultra. Now people tight because he didn't beat Gackt who he plays with often and would know his tendencies 3-0 just so Poongko could get 3rd place instead of 4th? Ha.

I went back and watched the match. If he wanted to intentionally throw the match, he could have picked DeeJay or some shit. Instead he went with Zangief. Once he lost that first match, he probably lost the motivation to play because there's nothing for him to play for at that point since he's already in 2nd place.

Plus where's his history of collusion? I don't see the history to suggest that he would compared to other teams who have a long history of it, and even benefited from it in this pro tour. Plus he needed all the help that he could to stop Daigo from murdering him in the finals, so why give him even more help by letting him watch another set with your main to gather more data from?

Anyway, I got the result that I wanted and I'm sure that everyone else wants which is Daigo in the CPT finals, so why ruin that trying to grasp for drama?

The only major nerfs Gen got were super damage being decreased by 50 and DWU.

I find it hilarious that all of these Akuma, Sakura, Gen players that based most of their gameplan around BS unblockables and fake crossup setups are now struggling to beat players with super strong fundamentals.

Thinking of picking up Gundam full boost and BlazBlue.
Is the online for Gundam good?
Also, I've heard something about 2 characters coming to BlazBlue. Is it just 2 characters or is it a balance patch as well?

NEO0MJ

『Inaba Resident』;135968431 said:
Also, I've heard something about 2 characters coming to BlazBlue. Is it just 2 characters or is it a balance patch as well?

The online for Gundam is good enough. As for Blazblue, it will be a balance patch as well. No idea how it will be distributed to consoles, though.

The only major nerfs Gen got were super damage being decreased by 50 and DWU.

I find it hilarious that all of these Akuma, Sakura, Gen players that based most of their gameplan around BS unblockables and fake crossup setups are now struggling to beat players with super strong fundamentals.

Uh, Akuma got a bunch of neutral game nerfs, it wasn't just DWU. His main footsie poke was nerfed both in reward (DWU) and safety (demon cancel threat into raw single hit at -9 on block is pretty severe). The air fireball nerf makes itself felt in matchups like Chun where Akuma's overall advantage was an accumulation of separate advantages.

With fst.HP damage reduction he lost the one trade in the game that was typically favourable for him, in return he got yet another button that just doesn't work reliably across matchups.

It's not just DWU. He got easier combos as some compensation, but his neutral game control is overall very much nerfed, he doesn't have a nasty vortex threat to keep people honest yet he's still made of wet toilet paper.

That seems like even more reason for Xian to at least test the waters with other characters in those matches. I didn't see what went down but I assume he used Poison? Yeah, I definitely would have tried my luck with Poison and try to learn what a can about Daigo's Evil Ryu versus Poison since I'm going to meet up with him eventually maybe at Capcom Cup where there is a lot more money and prestige on the line.

No he used 3 random auxiliary characters against gackt at the end of the round robin and was obviously not trying.

according to justin, who has not seen the match at the time of twitter post, said that xian told him back in ae2012 that he can not beat gackt with gen.

This probably help pushed xian to not try as hard.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
You are trolling aren't you? Is this the beginning of a fan fiction?

I don't understand how you think I'm trolling?

I want Snake Eyes to body those thick eyebrows straight off that fools face. I have nothing but respect for Snake Eyes. :)

Infinite

Was there a reason for the stupidly long breaks?
The whole event was organized by Razor. I'm assuming they were getting their esports on and Daigo was apart of other events at the same location. Basically street fighter wasn't the only thing going on there.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
『Inaba Resident』;135968431 said:
You could technically say 3 characters as nu after the split is pretty different as well.

basically the cast got overhauled more than bbcp 1.1. They swapped out burst on block for overdrive on block, they split nu into 2 different characters, and they added celica

Top Bottom