• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 20-26 | RIP PushaTee88

CurlyW

TKONY was just a round robin. Swiss takes the winners of round robin pools and places them into a double elim bracket to determine a winner.

That's not actually a Swiss format. A Swiss tournament is something different.
Round robin pools into a double elim bracket doesn't really have a name. World Cup style doesn't work since that's round robin into single elim. Maybe Smash style since they often use a format like that?

I know I come across as incredibly pedantic most of the time, and this is no different.

Edit: Beaten by an hour because I somehow missed Coffeeling's post right below.

kirblar

That's actually just a thing you graft onto the Swiss tournament to have hype finals, not a part of the tournament format itself. It has it's benefits but also introduces problems that aren't present in a pure Swiss tournament (you have to determine cuts, tiebreakers and such and get people drawing into elimination rounds once they've calculated they're safe)
Swiss is definitely awesome in terms of giving people a lot of play experiences at the same event. (The draw thing isn't a big deal- you get the privilege to draw by doing better earlier in the event.) Sadly, only Smash 3DS really works for it in the FGC.

CurlyW

Yup, this is a flaw in Round Robin- this happened in the Olympics as well. Should not be used.

What you're referencing from the Olympics is actually a slightly different situation. In that case, it was in the teams' best interest to lose in order to gain a more favorable draw. (I'm tempted to go into further detail but I'll resist the urge.) Here, Xian had nothing to play for.

kirblar

What you're referencing from the Olympics is actually a slightly different situation. In that case, it was in the teams' best interest to lose in order to gain a more favorable draw. (I'm tempted to go into further detail but I'll resist the urge.) Here, Xian had nothing to play for.
Well, it's in his best interests not to play seriously/with his main against Daigo because he's going to have to face him in the finals, so he'd like to avoid Daigo getting a read on him. Wasn't trying to directly compare, just point out that RR is a borked system because the incentives get screwed up.

The online for Gundam is good enough.

It's better than most fighting games if only because the game is designed to be a lot slower with more time to react and think. EXVS is a lot less susceptible to lag than an average fighting game I'd say, although you would still need to adjust a bit to the added delay.

Infinite

So to everyone saying that the round robin is a screwed up system what format would you have used in its place aside from a double elim bracket if you were the TO?

CurlyW

Well, it's in his best interests not to play seriously/with his main against Daigo because he's going to have to face him in the finals, so he'd like to avoid Daigo getting a read on him. Wasn't trying to directly compare, just point out that RR is a borked system because the incentives get screwed up.

I would say there is a difference between "not playing seriously" (Xian) and "trying to lose" (women's doubles in badminton). Round robin has its problems, but I wouldn't say the entire system is borked. The badminton thing was less a result of RR and more of a bizarre situation where the teams' benefitted from a worse result.

The issues with round robin are a big part of the reason why at the World Cup, the last two matches in each group are played simultaneously. (That's not always a solution however.)

Edit: Because I can't help myself.

Dahbomb

So to everyone saying that the round robin is a screwed up system what format would you have used in its place aside from a double elim bracket if you were the TO?
I would use a combined RR plus double elim bracket for a tournament with 16 players. Any more than that I would just use standard double elim bracket.

The format would be:

Players play in RR. Top 8 advance to next round but the top 4 are placed in Winner's bracket and bottom 4 of those 8 are placed in Loser's bracket. Their position depends on their performance so top 1 plays top 4 in W and 8 plays 5 in L. Top 8 is played out as a standard double elim format.

This is like the TI system only the players aren't split into groups. This makes sure that a majority of matches matter.

Even in this format collusion can happen. Someone who has no chance of making top 8 can collude with another person so that he gets a position in the top 8 ranking. But this will ALWAYS happen in a RR format. The separation of RR and double elim allows this stuff to happen earlier in the tournament rather than the top 8.

pixelish

I'm like the diversity of characters at the Capcom Cup

Qualified through auto qualifiers
Louffy (Rose)
Snake Eyez (Zangief)
Ryan Hart (Sagat)
Infiltration (Akuma)
PR Balrog (Balrog)
Momochi (Ken)
Valmaster (Chun Li)
Daigo (E. Ryu)
Nishikin (Blanka)
Eventual Dreamhack Champ Pepeday (El Fuerte)

Qualified through points
Bonchan (Sagat)
JWong (Rufus)
Xian (Gen/Poison)
Ricky Ortiz (Rufus)
ChuChu (Sakura/Viper)
Nuckledu (Guile/Decapre)

Of the 15 who qualified, there are only two repeats (Sagat and Rufus) and best of all, no Yun!

Rainy

Banned
Just woke up, guess I have to backtrack these posts about Xian...anyway congrats to Daigo, best player there this weekend.

Edit: Ricky might break out her Poison, she's been using her a lot more recently.

Malice215

That's not actually a Swiss format. A Swiss tournament is something different.
Round robin pools into a double elim bracket doesn't really have a name. World Cup style doesn't work since that's round robin into single elim. Maybe Smash style since they often use a format like that?

I know I come across as incredibly pedantic most of the time, and this is no different.

Edit: Beaten by an hour because I somehow missed Coffeeling's post right below.

Everyone else calls that format swiss, so I use the same term for simplicity's sake until someone else comes up with a better, generally accepted term. Definitely not calling it Smash format because people outside of Smash won't have a clue what you're referring to, and other tournaments have been using that format also.

I think the key when it comes to tournament formats is figuring out what your end goal is and what time and resources you have available, then selecting the format that best fits your tournament and being prepared to handle any drawbacks. Round robin into double elim is what I like time permitting because players get to play more matches, you don't get the pointless matches at the end of a pure round robin, it lessens the chance for someone catching a lucky bracket to make it out of pools since they have to play everyone in their pool, and decreases collusion screwing up the entire tournament once you get to the end.

I'm like the diversity of characters at the Capcom Cup

Ryan Hart (Sagat)
Infiltration (Akuma)

Of the 15 who qualified, there are only two repeats (Sagat and Rufus) and best of all, no Yun!

More like:
Ryan Hart (Sagat, Ryu, Yun)
Infiltration ( (Akuma), Chun, Ryu, Evil Ryu)

I'm not sure if I want to see Infiltration play Akuma or just go Infiltrachun & The Ryus mode.

Everyone else calls that format swiss, so I use the same term for simplicity's sake until someone else comes up with a better, generally accepted term. Definitely not calling it Smash format because people outside of Smash won't have a clue what you're referring to, and other tournaments have been using that format also.

It's usually just called Swiss with a topX cut to an elimination bracket.

Mmm, I just got a 4g sim card for my phone. GAF loads so fast. Mmmmm.

Anyway, I would not call Ryan Hart a Ryu user in this version. I have only seen him play Sagat.

... I am gonna go load up some Twitch streams via this. It is unlimited data after all. Mmmmmmmmm.

Village

http://www.twitch.tv/capcomfighters

the restream of cpt asia finals is on if anyone cares

Let me take a looksee

From the mod hole, demon juri returns, redone for the summer.
juri_succubus_alternate_features_by_brutalace-d847wfe.jpg

juri_succubus_alternate_20_colors_by_brutalace-d847zuq.jpg

juri_succubus_alternate_by_brutalace_by_brutalace-d848hqe.jpg

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
So did Daigo win and become Daigod? Been super busy with work and open houses to keep up with streams, the struggle is real.

This is one of Helena's Halloween alts from DOA5U. I wonder how they rip the costumes from that game since there's no PC release.

They probably made this one from scratch and just used the design as reference. There are some modders on consoles who have modded their games, but it seems much more low key and private, since I have seen edits of many games on consoles such as DOA5, I remember people even have edits of DOA 2 on dreamcast. And even if you didn't ask it (everyone probably thinks about it), yes, people have made the mandatory nude mod. I'm pretty sure it's a rule out there that everyone moddable game gets one.

Top Bottom