• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 20-26 | RIP PushaTee88

CPS2

Mmm, I just got a 4g sim card for my phone. GAF loads so fast. Mmmmm.

Anyway, I would not call Ryan Hart a Ryu user in this version. I have only seen him play Sagat.

... I am gonna go load up some Twitch streams via this. It is unlimited data after all. Mmmmmmmmm.

Man I wish we had something like that in Australia. I think my sister and her husband might actually get divorced over their constant arguments about going over mobile data limits.

CurlyW

Everyone else calls that format swiss, so I use the same term for simplicity's sake until someone else comes up with a better, generally accepted term. Definitely not calling it Smash format because people outside of Smash won't have a clue what you're referring to, and other tournaments have been using that format also.

I think the key when it comes to tournament formats is figuring out what your end goal is and what time and resources you have available, then selecting the format that best fits your tournament and being prepared to handle any drawbacks. Round robin into double elim is what I like time permitting because players get to play more matches, you don't get the pointless matches at the end of a pure round robin, it lessens the chance for someone catching a lucky bracket to make it out of pools since they have to play everyone in their pool, and decreases collusion screwing up the entire tournament once you get to the end.

• I've never heard a single person call that format Swiss. It's just plain incorrect to call it that.
  • It's actually fewer matches than a true round robin in most cases for most players. (Unless you meant more matches that normal double elim, in which case that's obviously true.)
  • It doesn't solve the problem of pointless matches at the end of round robin because you're still doing round robin for part of it. It's just that the pointless matches happen before the double-elim starts.
  • It doesn't lessen any chance of catching a lucky bracket. An easy pool is an easy pool regardless of format. And pools should be properly seeded anyway so "lucky brackets" don't happen. That's not a tournament format issue.
  • It increases the chance that top players will meet in grand finals, since top players may have to be beaten three or more times to be knocked out. And if top players are more likely to meet in grand finals, guess what else is more likely?

I'm not saying the round robin into double elim format is bad. As I said, Smash majors use that format all the time, mostly because for the longest time, their majors consisted of only one game. (Now that there's Smash 4 as well as Project M, they may reconsider how they run tournaments due to time constraints, but that remains to be seen.) The format is nice in that it allows players more chances if they screw up, so an early loss is not as bad as it is in traditional double elim. It's certainly faster than true round robin, because there's fewer matches. And it lets the scrubs play more matches than they ordinarily would. However, it doesn't do all the things that you say at all.

pixelish

• I've never heard a single person call that format Swiss. It's just plain incorrect to call it that.
  • It's actually fewer matches than a true round robin in most cases for most players. (Unless you meant more matches that normal double elim, in which case that's obviously true.)
  • It doesn't solve the problem of pointless matches at the end of round robin because you're still doing round robin for part of it. It's just that the pointless matches happen before the double-elim starts.
  • It doesn't lessen any chance of catching a lucky bracket. An easy pool is an easy pool regardless of format. And pools should be properly seeded anyway so "lucky brackets" don't happen. That's not a tournament format issue.
  • It increases the chance that top players will meet in grand finals, since top players may have to be beaten three or more times to be knocked out. And if top players are more likely to meet in grand finals, guess what else is more likely?

I'm not saying the round robin into double elim format is bad. As I said, Smash majors use that format all the time, mostly because for the longest time, their majors consisted of only one game. (Now that there's Smash 4 as well as Project M, they may reconsider how they run tournaments due to time constraints, but that remains to be seen.) The format is nice in that it allows players more chances if they screw up, so an early loss is not as bad as it is in traditional double elim. It's certainly faster than true round robin, because there's fewer matches. And it lets the scrubs play more matches than they ordinarily would. However, it doesn't do all the things that you say at all.
what's your opinion on the format for ti3 last year? the teams would play a round robin among other teams in their pool and after it is done the upper half of the pool goes to the winners bracket and the lower half goes to the losers bracket and they play in a double slim format to determine a winner.

I think it's a great format since it determines the 'seeding' as well as players get to play more games than the usual double slim format. I could see them using this format in capcom cup.

CurlyW

what's your opinion on the format for ti3 last year? the teams would play a round robin among other teams in their pool and after it is done the upper half of the pool goes to the winners bracket and the lower half goes to the losers bracket and they play in a double slim format to determine a winner.

I think it's a great format since it determines the 'seeding' as well as players get to play more games than the usual double slim format. I could see them using this format in capcom cup.

It was fine, although I really hated how the first 3 rounds of losers bracket were BO1s. Seemed exceedingly cruel. Either make everything BO3s, or just eliminate those teams. Apart from that it's a good format which Capcom Cup could certainly use.

In that sense, I thought TI4s format was better in theory. However, I didn't like the bubble bracket thing which allowed Newbee to suck ass in round robin, barely squeak into the playoffs after a tiebreaker, then never lose again.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Damn team smug eating pussy and getting it in.

Wish art would give us a sneak peak lol.

BBC Sunday's.

The realist stream.

Nerd JWong "just block"

Dahbomb

Ono is hyping up his Capcom Cup announcement.
ono.jpg

petghost

Banned
Feel bad for Xian. Would suck to have the wrath of every eventhubs commenter brought down on you for some shit they don't understand.

.la1n

『Inaba Resident』;136034356 said:
Him mentioning its better to find out in person makes me wonder if something playable is gonna be there.

In his mind it's better to play the character using his new costume pack then to only see video and pictures.

Vice

Him mentioning its better to find out in person makes me wonder if something playable is gonna be there.

You can play as 24 of the furry costumes ONLY at the Capcom Pro Tour after party.

Too many things happened this week.

LTG - Charge characters are for Low IQ peoples

Viscant - I AM A HUMANITARIAN NOW GET THE TASTE OF MY DICK OUT YO MOUTH

Daigo - DaiGOAT

Xian - Collusion or Naw

Arturo bout to be banned from twitch

$3 shape ups

too much yo

Being in person is definitely better for the shoryuken crowd picture.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I like a simple:

FGW | Today, we are all low IQ

Sometimes these titles try to fit too much in, but that's nice and conservative.

Top Bottom