• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Film director and screenwriter of cancelled Uncharted movie, Joe Carnahan thoughts on Neil Druckmann

odhin

Well Druckman will have to prove a lot with The Last Of Us II henceforth, the first game was nothing outstanding from a gameplay point of view, but the story was 10/10.
Hope the second game delivers as much as the first.

Why is this a thing now (TLOU having shit gameplay)?
Story was the best part for sure, but the gameplay was great and amazing. So fun, specially in harder settings without that see-through walls crap. It was a pleasant surprise after 3 "stale" uncharted games, where there yeah, gameplay was never that "great" to begin with.

Edit: Also, yeah, the 4th uncharted was the worst one by far, imo. But TLOU was GOTG for me so I still believe in the Druckkman.

Last edited:
Amy Hennig
IMG_6868.png

Neil Druckmann>>>
lon7E7x.png

AlexxKidd

MY GOD you are so right!!! I always forget about that. I turned that x-ray vision off first thing after reading what some of GAF had said. The strategy to fighting all enemies was so fun when you had no clue where they were and you had to listen to their footsteps only using your sound in your headphones.

If you play the game on the higher difficulties you don't even have the option to use it. That said I liked it and hope they bring it back for the lower difficulties.

And poor guy, he sounds like someone who lost out on a high paying gig to direct a major motion picture. Hmm, I wonder who he blames for that? With his lovely attitude I'm shocked the movie was canceled.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Amy Hennig still remains my favorite female game writer and one of my Top 5 video game writers of all time.

You have my sword Amy. :messenger_bicep:

I've been a fan of her work since she was a designer on Blood Omen. And she revolutionized the industry with Hollywood style voice acting with that series.

It made other games so jarring to listen to their cutscenes in comparison.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
MY GOD you are so right!!! I always forget about that. I turned that x-ray vision off first thing after reading what some of GAF had said. The strategy to fighting all enemies was so fun when you had no clue where they were and you had to listen to their footsteps only using your sound in your headphones.

Exactly, it reminded me of Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield where you had to use your ears (best played with headphones), which made for some very tense moments of cat and mouse.

Barakov

With some of the tweets Druckmann makes he definitely comes off as kind of a dickhead. And add in the stuff that went down behind the scenes at Naughty Dog, I can kinda believe some of the accusations that Carnahan is making. And Nadine was definitely the worst part of Uncharted 4. Her character is just really unlikable.

Teslerum

With some of the tweets Druckmann makes he definitely comes off as kind of a dickhead. And add in the stuff that went down behind the scenes at Naughty Dog, I can kinda believe some of the accusations that Carnahan is making. And Nadine was definitely the worst part of Uncharted 4. Her character is just really unlikable.

Topped off by that ending. I mean she didn't really have ANY more personality than your usual 2nd grade villian except for two things:

- Beat up the main charachter
- Act condescending at the end

Other than that theres nothing, other similiar villians would die(often hilariously) towards the end, but you can't even give credit for going against the grain here, because there is nothing to her charachter otherwise.

I assume the DLC gave her some sort of a charachter, but from U4 its dreadful. Every female charachter previous to her was waaaay better. (Even though Elena got a bit shafted as well in U4)

Edit: BTW: I'm not saying Druckmann is a generally bad designer or writer, far from it, but he's an incredible tool)

Last edited:

Shmunter

If you play the game on the higher difficulties you don't even have the option to use it. That said I liked it and hope they bring it back for the lower difficulties.

And poor guy, he sounds like someone who lost out on a high paying gig to direct a major motion picture. Hmm, I wonder who he blames for that? With his lovely attitude I'm shocked the movie was canceled.

Only if you bump it up to Survivor does listen mode disable...I wager not to many ventured down that path, especially on first play-through. Personally I played on Hard but disabled the mode in options.

• Easy: For beginners. Lot of ammunition, crafting supplies, melee weapons, and healing items are spawned in the world. Also, the enemies are quite easy to kill.
  • Normal: For casual players. Supplies spawn at a normal rate. Enemies are moderately strong. Sharp melee weapons spawn late in the game.
  • Hard: For experienced players. Supplies are rare to come by, and non-infected enemies are more aggressive and use cover often. Powerful melee weapons, such as the Machete and Hatchet, are almost never seen.
  • Survivor: For players that want a considerable challenge. Supplies are extremely rare to find. Game hints, prompts, and Listen Mode are disabled. All enemies do double damage. Powerful melee weapons appear once. Plus, all pickup-able items no longer flash to indicate themselves to the player.[1]
  • Grounded: For the toughest of the hardcore. Supplies are next to non-existent. Listen Mode is disabled. All enemies do triple damage. The HUD is disabled. Enemy AI is extremely sharp; more so than survivor. Multiple mid-combat and mid-stealth checkpoints have been removed. Allies do not grant the player ammunition or health kits, except David. The revolver, however, does instantly kill non-infected enemies without armor, something which it does not do in easy. Pickup-able items do not flash to the player either.

Top Bottom