• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann states Uncharted film script does NOT have the support of ND.

Ascenion

And again, Druckmann co-wrote the uncharted games except for 3 because he was busy with the last of Us.
Based on the only other thing he wrote what I know to be more of a third of, and had the power to greatly influence direction I feel comfortable blaming Uncharted 4's plot structure and pacing issues on him. It's Uncharted by way of TLOU. And that's okay. Still a great game just I think I see more of his direct influence and I don't think it fits a serialized pulpy action series.

Tripolygon

Banned
Based on the only other thing he wrote what I know to be more of a third of, and had the power to greatly influence direction I feel comfortable blaming Uncharted 4's plot structure and pacing issues on him. It's Uncharted by way of TLOU. And that's okay. Still a great game just I think I see more of his direct influence and I don't think it fits a serialized pulpy action series.
Uncharted 4's plot structure is fine, it follows the three-act story structure. There is nothing wrong with how the story is laid out. The pacing is fine to me but I understand that some people don't like the slower pace in the first couple of chapters.

In my opinion, Uncharted 4 is the best written and best paced Uncharted game. They gambled with a more grounded realistic story, and introduced the long lost relative trope, which was expertly done.

pr0cs

Try and be more specific, saying it is uninspired is not a well thought-out argument.
You honestly think it's good?
1) open with this brother tries to set the stage for the twist but you can see it coming a mile away, no set up, not nearly enough exposition between the disconnect between the brothers
2) you might actually believe drake keeping Elana out of the loop if you hadn't played any of the previous games
3) goofy game mechanics to set up the finale (I need to save my brother but you can't come with me why)
4) ham fisted Disney ending, a giant fuck you to any notion of redemption
5) no magical or spiritual enemies or continuity from previous games in this regard

I could go on and on, uc4 was a huge disappointment in storytelling. It's clear there were two directions the game was going and in the end it just felt so disjointed or disconnected

Tripolygon

Banned
You honestly think it's good?
1) open with this brother tries to set the stage for the twist but you can see it coming a mile away, no set up, not nearly enough exposition between the disconnect between the brothers
Actually, i think the point is to get the long lost relative trope out of the way. In fact the proper reveal of the game introduced the brother trope "hello little brother, i almost shot your head off", or something to that effect. I never saw
Rafe rescuing Sam
coming, it was a good twist. Everyone knew he was going to be betrayed at some point by his brother, but the twist is they did not know exactly how.

2) you might actually believe drake keeping Elana out of the loop if you hadn't played any of the previous games
Because he was keeping her out of the loop. This story is a self-contained story that does not rely on knowing the previous games. Yet is perfectly believable that while Drake was hunting for treasures, he had a brother who he thought was dead.

3) goofy game mechanics to set up the finale (I need to save my brother but you can't come with me why)
Because i made a promise (lied) to leave this dangerous world behind and i don't want to tell you the truth. And it is a familiar "doing this for your own good" trope.

4) ham fisted Disney ending, a giant fuck you to any notion of redemption
It is a simple happily ever after ending, same as the previous Uncharted games. Nothing wrong with that.

5) no magical or spiritual enemies or continuity from previous games in this regard
And that's another thing i like about it. It was a different tone than previous uncharted games.

I could go on and on, uc4 was a huge disappointment in storytelling. It's clear there were two directions the game was going and in the end it just felt so disjointed or disconnected
Please, do go on. By no means is it a groundbreaking story, however, it is well-written story and is rightfully recognized as such by critics.

Ascenion

Uncharted 4's plot structure is fine, it follows the three-act story structure. There is nothing wrong with how the story is laid out. The pacing is fine to me but I understand that some people don't like the slower pace in the first couple of chapters.

In my opinion, Uncharted 4 is the best written and best paced Uncharted game. They gambled with a more grounded realistic story, and introduced the long lost relative trope, which was expertly done.

I just can't agree, particularly with Sam. Sam is a sloppy sloppy retcon. To assume that Marlowe, who is a better version of Rafe mind you, when ethering Nate in Yemen wouldn't have known or failed to mention a brother living or otherwise in that discussion is woefully ignorant. In a vacuum Uncharted 4 is a fine, brilliant game, as a sequel to Uncharted 3 it's a weak rehash filled retcon. Sam being a figurative brother would've made the story fit fine into continuity, but him being biological? It screws the entire thing. Sam would work better in a Flynn role or the game just being about Rafe.

Tripolygon

Banned
I just can't agree, particularly with Sam. Sam is a sloppy sloppy retcon. To assume that Marlowe, who is a better version of Rafe mind you, when ethering Nate in Yemen wouldn't have known or failed to mention a brother living or otherwise in that discussion is woefully ignorant. In a vacuum Uncharted 4 is a fine, brilliant game, as a sequel to Uncharted 3 it's a weak rehash filled retcon. Sam being a figurative brother would've made the story fit fine into continuity, but him being biological? It screws the entire thing. Sam would work better in a Flynn role or the game just being about Rafe.
It was not a bad use of a retcon device, it forced you to reinterpret previous information that has been given. Marlowe was a brilliant villain (Rafe was not brilliant but his character and motivations was well fleshed out) and it is possible she did not mention Nathan's brother was alive because as we all now know in Uncharted 4, Nathan would literally do anything to save his brother, including lying to his wife. Marlowe already used his mother's suicide and father's abandonment, telling him his brother is alive is good news, which would possibly motivate him to go look for his brother rather than comply with what she wanted.

Sam was brilliantly introduced and does not screw up previous narratives set in previous Uncharted games.

If Carnahan says he sat down with Druckmann and Druckmann says it never happened, why are we assuming the part about Hennig or North is real? Maybe they didn't talk to him either?

JaxSteel

Neo Member
If Carnahan says he sat down with Druckmann and Druckmann says it never happened, why are we assuming the part about Hennig or North is real? Maybe they didn't talk to him either?

CrwYfQHVIAE5oVQ.jpg

source: https://twitter.com/carnojoe/status/773520165879230464

As I said, it's not the first time Carnahan has suggested that Neil has seen or approved of the script. Previously he actually stated that he sat down with Neil and showed him the script and what he was planning on doing. Druckmann responded way back then that he's never met Carnahan nor seen any script. He's obviously more annoyed that his, and ND's name, keeps getting mentioned with regards to the movie when they've had nothing to do with it.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/uncharted-movie-has-anti-indiana-jones-feel-to-it-/1100-6445007/

I'd be pretty bothered if someone is throwing my name around when I got no idea what they are talking about.

This, along with the recent comments about the writer's intentions with the type of film they're making (it's an R-rated film, the characters curse, etc.) sounds like another extremely crappy and in-name-only adaptation in the making.

If Sony Pictures grew a modicum of common sense, they would throw out what they currently have and start anew. That or be prepared to draft a financial writedown when the film inevitably bombas.

Really is amazing how people can't be bothered to even make one remotely faithful videogame film adaptation, let alone a remotely good one.

AudioEppa

No lies detected 👍🏽

Top Bottom