• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann interview about the making of Uncharted 4

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Man, I hated the
sword fight
at the end. Completely unfun and unnecessary and just clunky as hell.

Buuuuut if they had kept the
mock sword fight in the mansion
I think I would have actually enjoyed it, somehow. It'd make it cool and funny and interesting, instead of just random and annoying.

Considering he goes on from there to kill 1000's of people throughout four games, it really doesn't.
Well, the people he typically kills are bad guys who want to kill him and would kill him without hesitation if given the chance, not random prison guards just doing their job.

Have to say, I disagree with what FemFreq had to say. I was a fan when it started, but recently I have come to disagree with them on this, The Witcher 3 and Mad Max.
Yeah, I disagree with them there too (and Mad Max as well, can't comment on TW3). It's funny because you always have some butthurt people saying "you can't disagree with FemFreq without being called misogynist!!", and you can see how wrong that is. Neil himself said he enjoyed their review but disagreed with the conclusion. That's okay. They're not perfect and get shit wrong sometimes.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I find it weird that anybody could complain that Elena's not a strong enough female character. She's the biggest badass in the entire game. Well, aside from Nadine, maybe.

UC4 was 4 hours too long. Interview explains why. They kept in crap even if it wasn't fun because they thought the story needed it. They even took the word fun off their focus tests to help this out which then allowed the testers to rate the game higher. This seems to be a slippery slope.

I think they are barking up the wrong tree here in terms of the future of games. This direction leads to movies and tv. Pretty soon they will get the novel idea of why even make the player hold the left analog stick up and hit the triangle button every 3 minutes? We could just have the player do nothing. That way they can just kick back on the couch and enjoy the show. No wonky camera. No retarded AI. No janky controls. No immersion breaking on-screen prompts. The future is nigh!!!

/half-serious /half-jest.

I'm so tired of the saying "slippery slope".

The Lamp

It's gorgeous and immersive, I love just wandering around in Uncharted. I swam around and down into the shipwrecks just soaking it all in for a long time. I've gone back to that section too... It's like a mini vacation. "Marco!"

I will never be the kind of person that wanders around in a virtual world with no puzzles, combat, NPCs, items, characters, etc or almost anything to achieve and remains elated in how "immersed" I am in an empty environment, which is exactly how a few noticeable areas of U4 felt like.

It's easier to comb through these boring sections on a second playthrough, at least, because you know to ignore the open space and head for the objective.

There are just as many people praising the pacing. The game is pretty divisive in this regard. I personally loved the pacing.

You liked segments where you spend 2 hours wandering an island without any combat?

Yeah I just cannot relate. No wonder some of you didn't like the series until this one.

I love everything about this game except the reduced comedy/wit of the script and the at times unbearably empty gameplay.

UC4 was 4 hours too long. Interview explains why. They kept in crap even if it wasn't fun because they thought the story needed it. They even took the word fun off their focus tests to help this out which then allowed the testers to rate the game higher. This seems to be a slippery slope.

I think they are barking up the wrong tree here in terms of the future of games. This direction leads to movies and tv. Pretty soon they will get the novel idea of why even make the player hold the left analog stick up and hit the triangle button every 3 minutes? We could just have the player do nothing. That way they can just kick back on the couch and enjoy the show. No wonky camera. No retarded AI. No janky controls. No immersion breaking on-screen prompts. The future is nigh!!!

/half-serious /half-jest.

Except ND are always trying to keep as much 'on the stick' as possible.

OT, I think they do a remarkable job of walking the line between gameplay and narrative. Neil, I love the work you and Bruce and the resr of the team have put into this masterful game. Ending made me cry <3. Seriously though I loved every minute of it. Keep modelling future games similarly to this while improving gameplay at each turn, even if it might occasionally be to the detriment of the animation fluidity, and you've a lifelong fan here.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I will never be the kind of person that wanders around in a virtual world with no puzzles, combat, NPCs, items, characters, etc or almost anything to achieve and remains elated in how "immersed" I am in an empty environment, which is exactly how a few noticeable areas of U4 felt like.

It's easier to comb through these boring sections on a second playthrough, at least, because you know to ignore the open space and head for the objective.
Oh god I wish it was, the game slows you down a shit tons. Few games benefit from the less is more design philosophy, Ueda's games for instance, but they take place in very interesting and desolate worlds. The empty spaces act as a great reprieve because the highs are REALLY high, not only that, but the player has a lot of agency, there are few times when the game wrestles away control.

AR15mex

I really enjoyed the stealth part. it was no MGS, but it worked for me, because it was kind of light and not imposed into the game.

After playing all 4 console versions here is my tier list.

Uncharted 2

Uncharted 3

Uncharted 4

Uncharted 1

Just an opinion

Hi Neil!

Having finished the game, I actually liked how it wasn't 'lets shoot stuff from the first minute' sort of stuff this time around. If you watch an Indiana Jones film, he hardly shoots at all, yet the action is still fantastic.

This game gave me the same sort of feeling.

Also ending fight spoiler:
That sword mini game should have stayed in the earlier part of the game, woudl have been a nice callback.

DarkKyo

Man, I hated the
sword fight
at the end. Completely unfun and unne

Wow, I feel the complete opposite! I thought it was fun, exciting, and a really cool way to end the game and those characters' rivalry. Uncharted's final bosses are all polarizing, though, so this is to be expected.

If I had to rate the final bosses of each game in terms of how fun they were, it'd be something like this:

4>>>>1>3>>2

I remember reading the Fem Freq comments on Elena and being surprised, as all the way through UC4 I was so pleased how she was treated as a character. They set it up nicely at the beginning of the game with her wanting Nate to take The Malaysia Job, and immediately push the idea that she's not the one holding him back. Sully being on Team Elena supported this even more.
I absolutely loved the chapters of them adventuring together. The ending was great - Elena setting everything up so they could have their treasure hunting adventuring cake and legally eat it, too.
I always liked them as a couple, but this was the first game I genuinely believed they were two actual people in a relationship with genuine history and chemistry. The only other couple off the top of my head that felt similarly well-written where Geralt/Yen in W3, and Joel/Tess also had an interesting dynamic in TLoU.

HoJu

The UC2 opening was so good because of its simplicity. It's just Nate trying to not die in the train wreckage. There is the "how did he get here" question.

But in UC4 it's you, Sam *who you don't know yet), driving a boat which is new for the series (i think), going somewhere you don't know for an unknown reason, with random boats trying to kill you. And it wasn't very fun to play. It was great visually, but it was forgettable and didn't feel like the climax.

I feel like a better intro would be when you wake up on the island, but that might not work since it's slow like the flashback chapter.

Funny seeing them say they were conscious to include less action, when the combat mechanics are the best they've been in the series. I noticed this and complained in some other threads that it felt like the game was afraid to let me play it - every time we got into a sustained fire-fight, it never lasted long enough to really cut loose and enjoy it. The complete opposite problem to UC1 where there was way too much wave based combat.

I think UC4 is wrong to treat the climbing / traversal as if it was a central gameplay pillar capable of sustaining long stretches of the game - by my estimation I spent more time doing that than any other singular thing, and it's pretty much not fun. It's not awful, but it works best, imo, as a palette cleanser between other things. The chapters where it was mostly all puzzle solving and climbing were kinda bleh.

That's hard to answer without including pace and variety, which are huge parts of what I like about UC2. It's not a simple answer for me.

MECHANICS is definitely UC4. No question. Everything you do in combat feels, looks, and sounds better in UC4. Gunplay, hit reactions, animations, AI, etc.

But PACE and VARIETY is stronger in UC2 IMO. That game makes way more use of unique, smaller linear encounters, while UC4 leans on wide stealthable arenas. So yes, while the average encounter in UC4 feels better to play, the average encounter in UC2 feels more unique within the flow of the game, and comes at you at a more regular pace.

UC4 takes the snowstorm from UC2 and the ship graveyard from UC3, and spreads them across the game (Chp. 8, 10, 14, 17, 18). That's cool, but there's this whole other side of UC combat that feels neglected. The kind of smaller forced encounters that would've been featured in a Chapter 6, a Chapter 12, a Chapter 13, a Chapter 15, a Chapter 21, had this game been designed like UC2, or even UC3.

My favorite chapters in UC4 are 8, 9, and 17. They have the best mixture of traversal elements, combat, and pace I'm talking about. If my posts aren't clear enough, just replay those and that'll explain everything. I wish the game had much more of those chapters. Even Chapter 11, which is the "BIG AND CRAZY" chapter, goes from 0 to 10 to 0 to 10. There's very little middle ground. Very little connective tissue that keeps the game warm without turning the fire off completely.

No I see what your saying and UC2 is better paced without a doubt. However to me the open arenas were the best parts of UC2 and 3 and having them here in spades is great. So I'm replaying UC2 and while I'm going through Nepal loving the pace and briskness of the game, I notice how much the combat encounters funnel you without much room to move. Then I played the last encounter of chapter 8 Scotland (I mentioned in other thread how this is one of the best chapters in the game so I agree with you) where I am swinging, hiding in grass, jumping, sneaking in and out of caves, climbing and attacking etc. it's just... Better to me in every way. That's why chapter 8 of UC4 easily outclasses Borneo or Nepal even though nose have awesome linear set ups and encounters. That may not make sense but as I probably prefer UC2, I find the dynamic gameplay of UC4 so much more satisfying even though the later pacing is off (on second playthrough though I find chapters 7-11 to be the best thing Naughty Dog has ever done).

mishakoz

So ill say this here because there's probably nowhere else to

I thought the set-piece that we learned was cut before launch was going to be the ending, as in Rafe tries to sail the gold ship out of the cave and the ending battle happens as Nate is swinging from the mast on the grapple hook, maybe even a chance to use that knife on the sail pirate style. Seemed super obvious and the ending seemed really cut especially compared to some of the other payoffs in Iram and Shambala.

Would have been so epic.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Funny seeing them say they were conscious to include less action, when the combat mechanics are the best they've been in the series. I noticed this and complained in some other threads that it felt like the game was afraid to let me play it - every time we got into a sustained fire-fight, it never lasted long enough to really cut loose and enjoy it. The complete opposite problem to UC1 where there was way too much wave based combat.

I think UC4 is wrong to treat the climbing / traversal as if it was a central gameplay pillar capable of sustaining long stretches of the game - by my estimation I spent more time doing that than any other singular thing, and it's pretty much not fun. It's not awful, but it works best, imo, as a palette cleanser between other things. The chapters where it was mostly all puzzle solving and climbing were kinda bleh.
I'm curious if the combat was so mechanically strong and the encounters so well designed because of how few and far between they could be. Each one had to be meaningful and engaging.

This game was still my favorite in the series but I am disappointed it won't be as replayable as the previous entries due to the more metered pacing. Those were my go to games when I was in college and had downtime.

J Range

For me personally, i really enjoyed the beginning of the game. It gives us a glimpse of what these guys are doing after the series is over. i think they handled it very well.

I havent finished yet, but im hoping at the end we see nate actually listen to elena talking about her job, and realize whats the most important. Ha.

I'm curious if the combat was so mechanically strong and the encounters so well designed because of how few and far between they could be. Each one had to be meaningful and engaging.

This game was still my favorite in the series but I am disappointed it won't be as replayable as the previous entries due to the more metered pacing. Those were my go to games when I was in college and had downtime.

I don't think the encounters were necessarily the best they've ever been, some were good but others suffered the same terrible "spawn 6 guys that are all immune to headshots and take 3 grenades to kill" stuff, especially near the end. But the shooting and traversal was certainly the most mature it's been in the series, which is what I was referring to.

Uncharted 2 was almost back-to-back shootouts and set-pieces from about chapter 3 to 16, then from like 19 to the end. It's always doing at least one thing different and new for the game in each scenario. If you're there for the combat and action, it makes about as good use of its basic mechanics as it could've, and manages to not get repetitive because of that.

They've proven they can sustain an entire game like that, and even if all the combat scenarios were those big open affairs, or ones that aren't as well designed as the ones in 2, it'd still be great because of the mechanics they've refined. It really seems like in order to do the non-combat/story stuff to the level they did, they had to put combat on the backburner to a degree.

Hopefully the DLC and/or co-op delivers on that front.

Neil, awesome work on Uncharted 4. Top 3 game of all time for me, even just on one play.

Spoilers for chapter

I really wish this had made the cut. It would have made the
final boss
encounter that much better.

Fuck. That's exactly the type of gameplay foreshadowing that Naughty Dog do really well so it sucks it was cut. I bet the final fight would've been received even better if it was in.

The Lamp

Oh man this precisely describes what my issues were. For me, Uncharted traversal was always an interesting palette cleanser in between meal courses.

This is why I think
Scotland
early in the game were the best designed/paced chapters.

This is also why I cannot agree with any comments that even approach saying U4 is the best game ever/of this generation. It has some of the most poorly designed levels I've seen in a big budget action title. They're gorgeous, they're technically amazing, but there is nothing to achieve in the pointless open spaces they toss you in like Madagascar and the island. They just want you to scavenge a linear path through an open, empty world to the next destination. There is usually nothing clever or rewarding to the player for exploring its empty levels, it's just there because they know how to make pretty scenery. For this reason it's just shallow game design and I can't even begin to say that it's GOAT game design or anything. It would have been better if they created larger environmental puzzles that took advantage of the whole level and served as a reason to explore, but they mostly didn't, and that is really a big miss in game design considering how many other games are good at doing that (Zelda, Dark Souls for example)

And btw, I don't like the boat chase being at the start either. I don't think I've ever commented on this, but who can blame me when it's such a bleh opener. Every time I've shown someone the game I just start in
the orphanage
, and I think they should've left it like that, especially because Chapter
12 -->13
desperately needed an action sequence.

In media res openings that flash back to whenever is such an overused storytelling device, especially on TV. A cold open in
the orphanage
that flowed right into
the prison flashforward
would've been a good start.

And btw, I don't like the boat chase being at the start either. I don't think I've ever commented on this, but who can blame me when it's such a bleh opener. Every time I've shown someone the game I just start in
the orphanage
, and I think they should've left it like that, especially because Chapter
12 -->13
desperately needed an action sequence.

In media res openings that flash back to whenever is such an overused storytelling device, especially on TV. A cold open in
the orphanage
that flowed right into
the prison flashforward
would've been a good start.
I actually like the boat sequence, but I agree that it should have just played out later in the game.

Randomizer

Calling out gamers who have a preference for more hands on gameplay over what basically amounts to interactive cutscenes is hilarious. It is a fair criticism because if you tilt too far in that direction it is a slippery slope. You could end up with a turgid, plodding mess of a game. Just ask David Cage. The pacing being as deliberate as he says is a shock as I find it to be the games biggest fault. I ask that he look to another one of his own games, Uncharted 2. It is an example of a game with perfect pacing. The balance of combat, puzzles, exploration and narative exposition is perfect. Honestly I place it alongside Resident Evil 4, Metal Gear Solid 3, God of War II and Ocarina of Time as the games with the best pacing in all of gaming.

Don't worry Neil(if you are reading this lol). I may seem over critical but I still think you are an amazing developer and love all your games including Uncharted 4. I impatiently await The Last Of Us 2 with bated breath. Thank you for the hours of fun and the affecting story of TLOU.

I actually like the boat sequence, but I agree that it should have just played out later in the game.

it should've just appeared again and been a longer, mor einvolved sequence with hopping from boat to boat, or hooking onto and getting dragging by a boat, trying to save Sam, etc. All that before getting separated.

If they were going to emulate 2's opening, then they should've emulated how 2 closed that in media res loop with a substantial action sequence. From a gameplay/fun standpoint, it feels like something was missing there.

Spoilers:

Okay, the entire argument the video makes fails completely when it says Rafes parents betrayed him and let him rot in jail when they clearly bribed their way into that prison to find the treasure in the first place.
Yup. I do think Rafe is a complicated villain, but that videos argument falls apart as soon as it starts.

it should've just appeared again and been a longer, mor einvolved sequence with hopping from boat to boat, or hooking onto and getting dragging by a boat, trying to save Sam, etc. All that before getting separated.

If they were going to emulate 2's opening, then they should've emulated how 2 closed that in media res loop with a substantial action sequence. From a gameplay/fun standpoint, it feels like something was missing there.
That would actually be great

doofy102

Knew that they cut something to do with the
crane.
But what's there instead is still pretty excellent.

Shooting grippable holes into some kind of wall should've been a thing!

omg a speedboat convoy massacre. The evolution from trucks in 2 to trucks + horses in 3 to boats in 4 would've been perfect.

I would trade Chapter 11 for that in a heartbeat

Randomizer

I have a theory of why the pacing is so off compared to previous games. The original philosophy behind the Uncharted series was a gameplay first, story second mantra. I remember interviews in which they said they developed set pieces and encounters first and built the story around that. I remember this as I always assumed the opposite.

Whereas this game is clearly like The Last Of Us in which everything is based off of the story. The gameplay is used to fill in the blanks connecting everything together. Obviously both methods have their pros and cons but I believe the slower more deliberate pace of a story focused design is more suited to a game like The Last of Us and not the fun and light hearted Uncharted series.

I have a theory of why the pacing is so off compared to previous games. The original philosophy behind the Uncharted series was a gameplay first, story second mantra. I remember interviews in which they said they developed set pieces and encounters first and built the story around that. I remember this as I always assumed the opposite.

Whereas this game is clearly like The Last Of Us in which everything is based off of the story. The gameplay is used to fill in the blanks connecting everything together. Obviously both methods have their pros and cons but I believe the slower more deliberate pace of a story focused design is more suited to a game like The Last of Us and not the fun and light hearted Uncharted series.

Uncharted 2's development started from a designer proposing the train set-piece . Everything about Uncharted 2 started from that set-piece .Uncharted 3 is also famous for being written around set-pieces .

Neil for TLOU and UC4 have said that they start by laying down the story flow first, in cardboards.

dralla

Uncharted 2's development started from a designer proposing the train set-piece . Everything about Uncharted 2 started from that set-piece .Uncharted 3 is also famous for being written around set-pieces .

Neil for TLOU and UC4 have said that they start by laying down the story flow first, in cardboards.

And that's why UC3 is a disjointed mess, both in narrative in pacing. I much prefer the story driving the gameplay philosophy.

zsynqx

I am a much bigger fan of the story first approach. TLOU and UC4 are my favourite ND games.

Randomizer

As expected. Yeah I just don't think it suited this game. The Last of Us works as a more story focused game and as such the exploration and narative exposition based chapters work. Uncharted has always been set pieces and spectacle for me and whilst they are certainly present they took a back seat this time for the slower more deliberate narrative based philosophy.

Not sure I'd agree that Uncharted 4 is story first. I think to me the first 3 games were Action/Adventue games. Still character focused but more in an Action movie kind of way.

I'd say Uncharted 4 is more Adventure/Action. Where it's more the traversing/exploring and the "shooting" sections were there to break it up. And even then it seems to try to encourage stealth. When really there's no huge advantage to do so. In TLOU with limited resources it was more essential.

Near the end of U4 I just started going in guns blazing

Alo0oy

Banned
And that's why UC3 is a disjointed mess, both in narrative in pacing. I much prefer the story driving the gameplay philosophy.

Uncharted 4 is even more disjointed. The reason I didn't replay it after getting the platinum is how awful it is to replay, it gets so boring.

Uncharted 3 was disjointed and had a slow start too, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as UC4, what hurts the most is UC4 is one of the best playing TPSs ever, only MGS5 plays better than it. And we don't get to enjoy it because of the terrible pacing.

Top Bottom