• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Evangelion Film Slated for Fall-Winter 2015 With Utada Song.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-V-B

2 was amazing

...only to be ruined by 3.

The last one's honestly up for grabs

A three hour long post-modern Buddhist John Ford-style epic across the wastelands of the mutated Earth, meeting with the last remnants of mankind... with an amazing final confrontation between all the characters in the hollowed out husk of SEELE! With a soundtrack inspired by Ennio Morricone!

...that might do it.

DarkKyo

My girlfriend is suddenly interested in seeing the new Evangelion movies for the first time. I'm super excited for her to see 1 and 2 but I am not sure how she will feel about the third...

Shinji actually stepped up in 2.0, which caused the end of the world to come even faster than it did in the original series.

You Can (Not) Advance indeed

Niks

It's not that 3.0 was bad, it's that everyone was expecting more of 2.0 goodness and instead got blindsided by something totally different.

A-V-B

3.0 is best to not think about.

Or watch for that manner.

It's got some great moments. Mainly the ending. But it's just this massive paradigm switch that wasn't given enough time to develop. You have this brand new world everyone wants to look at. It's genuinely intriguing. We want to know how its coming affected all the characters, but they're all tossed to the wayside in favor of Shinji going nuts and playing piano a buncha times.

CassSept

It was great. Wonderful soundtrack, some great scenes, dick melting compositions, a lot of single frame goodness, everyone hates it, it was just great.

It's a bad movie, for numerous reasons (and it's not 'being different').

Pacing is the worst offender because the structure of the film is dreadful, characterization is weak (new characters are completely one-dimensional and old characters are mostly uninteresting (personal opinion)), there are no character arcs (and if they are they are ultimately meaningless in the context of the movie), themes are presented rather weakly (e.g. lack of communication has been done in the very series better before), honestly 'being different' would have vindicated the movie, but it's done so obnoxiously it in my opinion fails.

Honestly, in my opinion 3.0 is not only disappointing, but it's a plainly bad movie.

Why does anyone even care about this series anymore? The first and second Rebuild films completely jettisoned all the compelling storytelling in favour of stupid, self-indulgent action set-piece bollocks. The third and latest film, meanwhile, is a monumental disaster of storytelling that rivals Lucas' efforts with the SW prequels, possibly even worse due to how completely bafflingly awful everything is (except the music).

Why do people care how the series is going to conclude? Anno and co. certainly don't.

kewlmyc

Not sure how excited I am for the final film after 3.33 being garbage.

I wonder if Funimation will have released 3.33 with a Studio Khara approved dub by the time 4.44 is released on BD/DVD.

A-V-B

Why does anyone even care about this series anymore? The first and second Rebuild films completely jettisoned all the compelling storytelling in favour of stupid, self-indulgent action set-piece bollocks. The third and latest film, meanwhile, is a monumental disaster of storytelling that rivals Lucas' efforts with the SW prequels, possibly even worse due to how completely bafflingly awful everything is (except the music).

Why do people care how the series is going to conclude? Anno and co. certainly don't.

Surely you've had enough time to figure most people don't hold your blistering hatred of the entirety of Rebuild? There are many varied opinions.

(though there is a lot of unity over dislike of 3)

I actually liked 3.0.....it made things interesting instead of making the series feel like a retread.

I'm going to miss this series ;___;

javac

It's a bad movie, for numerous reasons (and it's not 'being different').

Pacing is the worst offender because the structure of the film is dreadful, characterization is weak (new characters are completely one-dimensional and old characters are mostly uninteresting (personal opinion)), there are no character arcs (and if they are they are ultimately meaningless in the context of the movie), themes are presented rather weakly (e.g. lack of communication has been done in the very series better before), honestly 'being different' would have vindicated the movie, but it's done so obnoxiously it in my opinion fails.

Honestly, in my opinion 3.0 is not only disappointing, but it's a plainly bad movie.

That's fine, a vast majority feel the same, I loved the way it all felt however. Everything was off kilter and weird in a way that kept me interested. Everything was vague, weird etc, but that felt...I don't know, I guess I'd say it felt intentional? It did a great job of making me feel like Shinji if that makes any sense? Wanting answers but having nobody give them to you and I think that was the point, at least that's how I think the world would feel if you were in Shinji's position.

kewlmyc

Can we at least agree that the "Curse of Eva" is dumb as hell? I know why they did that (can't age Asuka 14 years and still sell merch), but it's just feels silly since 30 year old Asuka and Mari act the same as their 14 year old counterparts.

Also the Curse is eternal youth. Some curse.

A-V-B

Can we at least agree that the "Curse of Eva" is dumb as hell? I know why they did that (can't age Asuka 14 years and still sell merch), but it's just feels silly since 30 year old Asuka and Mari act the same as their 14 year old counterparts.

Thing is, we really don't know how Asuka and Mari act since we've only seen them in context with Shinji. What's that old thing? That people fall into ancient habits when reuniting with someone they haven't seen in ages?

We barely got to see any of the characters beyond Shinji. I mean, 3.0 wasted just about everything when it came to exploring the consequences of the world shifting into total balls out nightmare land.

Surely you've had enough time to figure most people don't hold your blistering hatred of the entirety of Rebuild? There are many varied opinions.

(though there is a lot of unity over dislike of 3)

I honestly don't understand why so many people like Rebuild 1 and 2 so much, but it would go a long way explaining why the standard of storytelling in anime is so shitty.

Rebuild 1 is a dull pile of mediocrity that makes the boneheaded decision to cram a few episodes with bugger-all tweaking or adjusting into a feature-length film (complete with overdone set-piece to justify the budget) and call it a day.

Rebuild 2 is a jumbled mess of storytelling decisions made with merchandising potential prioritized so far above the story that it's a mere blip on the horizon. Cue the vapid pink-suit chick who is in the film to sell as many pillows, plushies, figurines, and who knows what else, as possible. Let's not forgot Asuka's character being a sad, family-friendly, toothless shell of her former self, completely devoid of any of the characteristics that made her so interesting, a trait that carries through to pretty much all the characters in the film. And of course there is the blundering obsession with making every action scene BIGGER and more BADASS than before, which makes it all the more comical that the throw-down between Shinji and Zereul near the end isn't remotely as intense as it was in the original TV show. Finally, there is the ending, a crowd-pleaser run-of-the-mill 'find-your-inner-power-blah-blah' pile of shit. Shinji becomes a super action hero because who gives a fuck about consistency anyways. It would impress people who are watching the film for nothing but the pretty colors I suppose, but there seems to be a troubling amount of those.

Rebuild 3 is hot garbage. No need to explain why that sucks.

Blader

Evageek forums are that way --->

Well if you were trapped in your 14-year-old body, you would only ever be able to have sex with a pedophile or someone your own age technically making you the pedophile.

The Curse of Eva is eternal pedobait.

A-V-B

I honestly don't understand why so many people like Rebuild 1 and 2 so much, but it would go a long way explaining why the standard of storytelling in anime is so shitty.

Rebuild 1 is a dull pile of mediocrity that makes the boneheaded decision to cram a few episodes with bugger-all tweaking or adjusting into a feature-length film (complete with overdone set-piece to justify the budget) and call it a day.

Yeah, Rebuild 1 was boring. I mean, it wasn't bad -- we'd just seen it all before. There wasn't much of a point to it besides "the sea is red now" and "Shinji punches the guy," both things that could've been done... just about anywhere.

Rebuild 2 is a jumbled mess of storytelling decisions made with merchandising potential prioritized so far above the story that it's a mere blip on the horizon. Cue the vapid pink-suit chick who is in the film to sell as many pillows, plushies, figurines, and who knows what else, as possible. Let's not forgot Asuka's character being a sad, family-friendly, toothless shell of her former self, completely devoid of any of the characteristics that made her so interesting, a trait that carries through to pretty much all the characters in the film. And of course there is the blundering obsession with making every action scene BIGGER and more BADASS than before, which makes it all the more comical that the throw-down between Shinji and Zereul near the end isn't remotely as intense as it was in the original TV show. Finally, there is the ending, a crowd-pleaser run-of-the-mill 'find-your-inner-power-blah-blah' pile of shit. Shinji becomes a super action hero because who gives a fuck about consistency anyways. It would impress people who are watching the film for nothing but the pretty colors I suppose, but there seems to be a troubling amount of those.

And then Rebuild 3 confirms, "that wasn't an inner power ending, that was a Shinji fucks up and ends the world ending," something that should've been obvious when you watched 2.0 a couple times. It's the same trick Anno played with Asuka and Hallelujah, or earlier on with the fight between Dummy-01 and Corrupted-02 - a clashing between the reality of the story and its presentation - but this time you didn't seem to notice it, and I can't help but wonder why. Ritsuko comes right out and says "Shinji's ending the world to fulfill his own dream." Kaworu has to fly in from the Moon and stop Third Impact. This stuff isn't exactly secret.

Thanks for your perspective, I suppose.

Blader

Yeah, Rebuild 1 was boring. I mean, it wasn't bad -- we'd just seen it all before. There wasn't much of a point to it besides "the sea is red now" and "Shinji punches the guy," both things that could've been done... just about anywhere.

The point was to just do those first 6 episodes again, condensed in one movie, with better animation and a few ??? differences (e.g. Kaworu on the moon) to get you into "please be excited" mode for the sequels. It's just a big-budget compilation.

It can be kinda dull on rewatch, but I can appreciate its place in the Rebuild canon as the familiar starting point with the subtle hints of something very different about to happen. And it plays in nicely to the repetition theme of the whole series.

A-V-B

The point was to just do those first 6 episodes again, condensed in one movie, with better animation and a few ??? differences (e.g. Kaworu on the moon) to get you into "please be excited" mode for the sequels. It's just a big-budget compilation.

It can be kinda dull on rewatch, but I can appreciate its place in the Rebuild canon as the familiar starting point with the subtle hints of something very different about to happen. And it plays in nicely to the repetition theme of the whole series.

I understand its place. That doesn't make it any more entertaining/a good idea.

I really don't like thinking anything Eva isn't good, but the Rebuilds are definitely disappointing.

javac

I can only speak on behalf of myself but I'd say I liked the first Rebuild film due to the fact that it was the Evangelion that I both know and love but with a new lick of paint. Presentation wise it isn't too removed from a remake of an old game. It retains what you love from the original whilst changing elements that makes it a bit more than just the same old Eva in a way that ultimately creates a whole new timeline and thus creates new possibilities in a world that you love.

Nothing is better executed than the original TV series from the music to the impact it had when you first watched it, characters are more watered down in the films but that's to be expected in a film. You can only do so much.

Overall it has great music, with new renditions of the original soundtrack, nice visuals and it's both familiar and different. Not perfect, but neither is the original TV series. It's good fun.

In terms of the second film no doubt a lot of dubious additions are implemented to the mix. Mari is pointless thus far and detracts from the series although her motives and place and purpose (if she has one outside of being kawaii) will be hidden until the last film and even then we'll never know the full intentions as per Evangelion.

There's an obsession with making things with more grandeur no doubt but that comes with the format surely? It's a film and it's no different to End of Eva in that regard. The tone from the show to EoE is different too, fight scenes included. There are different expectations with something you go to the cinema to see and in fact 3.33 does exactly that. 3.33 spends time with Shinji just walking around and playing the piano and less time duking it out with angels although those scenes do exist.

In regards to Shinji becoming "a super action hero" at the end as you subtly put it in all honesty strikes me as something that goes against what you chastise the Rebuild series for (which is as you put it "a film with bugger-all tweaking or adjusting into a feature-length film complete with overdone set-piece to justify the budget and call it a day.") The second film changes things up, and makes it more appropriate for the film medium. Characters act a bit differently and go against the grain. I don't see how that's a negative when looking at what you said previously. Acting differently isn't a positive in and of itself but getting in the Eva unit and doing what he wanted to do was what everyone wanted out of Shinji, and when I say everyone that includes the audience I'd imagine. And it's hardly a crowd pleaser when you see everything come tumbling down at the first second 3.33 anyways :p

It's a film that is fun to watch, has again a great soundtrack and modernizes the series while retaining that Evangelion feeling. Also not perfect, but good fun no doubt.

Cool.

Really what I love about the Rebuild series is the fact that it’s different and yet familiar. If I wanted to see a re-thread of the series word for word...I'd just watch the series.It holds up pretty well and the Blu-ray set is coming out next year after all. Really I'm glad that they're exploring every nook and cranny of the Eva universe. It’s a new blank canvas and it allows them to do things with characters that they didn’t and couldn’t in the past. If they fuck it up, fine I can just return to the OG series and ignore the Rebuild series canon be damned. That’s the WORST case scenario. Best case scenario is I get 4 awesome films that have cool soundtracks, updated visuals and ones that take place in a world I love what characters that I love and have interest in all the whilst still keeping the original series untarnished. Seems like a win win to me!

I absolutely loved 3! Saw it 4 times and enjoyed every viewing. Kinda sucks I seem to be almost entirely alone in this. Can't wait to see what 4 ends up being.

You Are (Not) Alone
:p

LOL. Reading through more of the thread I'm glad some of us dig it. It's my fave too. I like all of them, but 3 impressed me the most.

Some of the spectacle took my breath away on multiple occasions. And the score itself had so much oomph and it gave me chills. The fact that it went in an entirely different direction than what I was expecting based on the previous 2 movies' content was one of my favorite parts. It was disorienting and crazy but I enjoyed it so very much.

Fj0823

People loving the action filled movie while hating the complex movie, all while pretending to "get" the complex aspects.

Yep. This is an Evangelion thread.

Love everything animated Evangelion.
3 has an amazing sense of discomfort, making you feel exactly like Shinji. The ode to joy part is beautiful for all the wrong reasons. Kaworu had an amazing role.

2 is great, amazing, pew pew, boom, poka poka, and bentos, great stuff, loved the ending, the characters interactions are stellar in this one

1, was the same as the series, Cool remaster that's for sure

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
After the garbage that was the third movie, only an Asuka end would salvage this series of movies for me

Haven't watched Rebuild 3 yet, but, from what I know about people, I'm assuming that people are pissed because they thought that Eva was FINALLY going to become the badass action show they thought it was going to be back when they originally watched the TV series so many years ago, and were disappointed when it went back to being dark, moody and confusing even though anyone who knew their shit about Eva could have probably seen it coming (though the time-skip and everything that comes with it certainly comes out of left field).

But I still don't really get why she was so mad at him. At the end of 2.0
she encouraged him to go forward and to do it for himself etc. etc. then in 3.0 she does her best Gendo impression. That Shinji apparently didn't care all that much that the Rei he tried to save was nowhere to be found was also weird to me. She's the one he almost caused the third impact for. Though it's also been a while since I saw it, so maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Personally i think you have to expect more complexity and uncertainty with the characters in Eva, especially with 3.0 because of how much of a departure it is from the rest of the franchise. It's best to think of it as a reworking of the original Evangelion than the sequel to 2.0, since that's how strongly they tried to dissociate themselves from the established lore. I don't mean to say that you should let go of what is done shoddily in 3.0, but that there is something else to it beyond the mere content and form of the movie, something i personally feel is a commentary on the contemporary importance of Eva and how simply reiterating an old narrative would do it a huge disservice. I have literally no proof for this other than my own analysis of the franchise but that's how i see it. I'm PMing you something i wrote some time ago because it's too of topic for this thread, and probably in need of some updating, but i hope it'll make you understand why i like this movie so much.

Also what is it about these gaps between spoilered lines? They suck.

Kinyou

Personally i think you have to expect more complexity and uncertainty with the characters in Eva, especially with 3.0 because of how much of a departure it is from the rest of the franchise. It's best to think of it as a reworking of the original Evangelion than the sequel to 2.0, since that's how strongly they tried to dissociate themselves from the established lore. I don't mean to say that you should let go of what is done shoddily in 3.0, but that there is something else to it beyond the mere content and form of the movie, something i personally feel is a commentary on the contemporary importance of Eva and how simply reiterating an old narrative would do it a huge disservice. I have literally no proof for this other than my own analysis of the franchise but that's how i see it. I'm PMing you something i wrote some time ago because it's too of topic for this thread, and probably in need of some updating, but i hope it'll make you understand why i like this movie so much.

Also what is it about these gaps between spoilered lines? They suck.
I guess the expectations have a lot to do with it. I was simply expecting a straight follow up to 2.0, but 3.0 clearly tried to something different which really caught me off guard. Thanks for the for the PM, I'll make sure to read it.

injurai

Banned
I've been holding off on watching any of them until they are all out. God damn this wait is getting tiring...

I love Eva + The End, hopefully the movies are just as good as the end was.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I've been holding off on watching any of them until they are all out. God damn this wait is getting tiring...

I love Eva + The End, hopefully the movies are just as good as the end was.
They aren't nearly as good.

I rather have an HD/4K remaster of the original series and End of Evangelion.

Wide screen and better crisp details but with all and everything of the deep characters intact.

I don't know how 4.0 can save itself from the hollow rotten corpse 3rd instalment was. There's more depth in Me!Me!Me! than rebuild 3.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just want this film series to end already so the staff can work on far better things.

Haven't even seen the third Rebuild movie. But I disagree with the implication that the first two movies were good... they weren't, I pretty much see them as equivalent to the prequel trilogy.

hal9001

Banned
As one of the biggest Eva fans even I couldn't overlook some of the terrible flaws that were present with 3.0 film.

Anjelus_

Wow, clearly I missed something big when I decided to skip 3.0 and wait for 4.0 to watch it all at once. I really liked 1.0 and 2.0.

Uh.. guess I'll go wikipedia the plot summary of 3.0 now.

Edit: What the hell have I just read.

lol what is up with the production of those movies ? I remembered when they announced it back in 2005 or 2006, they said that each year would see a movie, with the final two shown back-to-back in like 2009 or 2010. lol

Jinroh

So the next movie will be the last? I was really hoping they'd make a movie about the time gap. What happened back then was the real big deal. 3.0 is just so uninteresting. Shinji is sad, great. It didn't need a whole movie full of nothingness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom