• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Evangelion Film Slated for Fall-Winter 2015 With Utada Song.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dachande

The movies have got worse with each new one. Rebuild 1 was great because it was the TV series with a bigger budget and all of the bullshit filler taken out. The series was great but heavily flawed, and I appreciated the way it tried to take what already worked and try to make it perfect, and it almost did.

Rebuild 2 started fucking that up by adding new elements and changing more of what already existed. Mari is an utterly shit character with barely any redeeming features. She's purely a marketing tool and adds nothing.

Then Rebuild 3 just went off in a completely different, weird-ass direction that no one wanted or asked for and added a further bunch of bullshit one-dimensional modern-style anime character templates to appeal to 21st century mouthbreather otaku.

So I'm finding it really hard to be excited about Rebuild 4 at this point.

I just wanted a consistently great quality version of Evangelion with all the shit bits cut out, goddammit! They started it so well!

Khezu

I still don't know how to feel about 3.0. It is just such a weird thing.
I'm still anticipating the final, but I'm not sure they can really give a satisfying conclusion with one 90 minute movie.

I regret not sticking to my original plan of waiting for all 4 movies to be out before watching them.

Blader

lol what is up with the production of those movies ? I remembered when they announced it back in 2005 or 2006, they said that each year would see a movie, with the final two shown back-to-back in like 2009 or 2010. lol

I think when 1.0 turned out to be a huge success and Anno suddenly had more money than he's ever had to do on Eva, he started pouring more and more into the movies, which takes up significantly more time than simply doing a copy/paste remaster of the original series. The story of 2.0 in particular was upended more than once during production, which sets back the release schedule, and I'm sure 3.0 wasn't any easier to write or storyboard (though they apparently had been seeding some of those changes earlier in the series, so it wasn't *completely* made up on the spot).

Pappasman

I know I'm one of the few, but I really liked 3. Its not a great movie, but I loved the weird direction they took. Also the sound design was awesome.

A-V-B

Zero hype after 3.0. Shame, I really enjoyed 1.0 and 2.0.

I wouldn't exactly call it zero hype... I mean, it could be anything, so it could be any good movie. Or it could be any bad movie. 4.0 could be anything.

What I really want to know is how Anno's approaching it. If he's going to do something really transcendent, or if it's gonna be a confused mess again.

Holy shit. Hype through the roof.

Sakura Nagashi was goddamn amazing. Cannot wait for Hikki's full-fledged return. Fact that it's coupled with another Eva film is just icing on the cake. Can't wait to see what 4.44 will be like.

Also, it'd be nice if they finally release Death/Rebirth & End of Eva on Bluray. I really don't wanna pay 60 goddamn bucks for a second (or third?) hand VHS copy.

Jezan

The original + EOE is still the true version for me dammit.
Isn't Rebuild what happens after the universe is reset or something?
And that a lot of the trouble could have been avoided if just Misato had sat down with Shinji and told him what the hell is going on. Instead she puts an explosive collar around his neck and drowns him in passive aggressive silence.
I liked 3, but how it all developed was stupid. And it was just because no one told Shinji that if he piloted an EVA he could start the fourth impact. I mean, just tell him "Shinji you started the 3rd impact it was stopped, but if you pilot again you will restart it, don't do it,bye" He just realizes that after he starts the 4th one. Fuck you Shinji and fuck everyone else too! >:C
Everything else was awesome, though.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Holy shit. Hype through the roof.

Sakura Nagashi was goddamn amazing. Cannot wait for Hikki's full-fledged return. Fact that it's coupled with another Eva film is just icing on the cake. Can't wait to see what 4.44 will be like.

Also, it'd be nice if they finally release Death/Rebirth & End of Eva on Bluray. I really don't wanna pay 60 goddamn bucks for a second (or third?) hand VHS copy.

It's coming.

Whatever this means for a stateside release is anyone's guess. But at least it will be available on Blu-ray somehow.

It seems that Evangelion is about building up hype levels to unrealistic levels then finishing the story with disappointments that get less coherent the further it goes on. Movies and amine the same so far.

Blader

The Beautiful World remix at the end of 2.22 is my favorite ED of the series so far, though Sakura Nagashi is good stuff too.

also, the last movie isn't called 4.0/4.44. The official title is 3.0+1.0 because why not.

Kinyou

The Beautiful World remix at the end of 2.22 is my favorite ED of the series so far, though Sakura Nagashi is good stuff too.

also, the last movie isn't called 4.0/4.44. The official title is 3.0+1.0 because why not.
lol, imagine if the movie just consists out of a 3.0 and 1.0 double feature.

Then there's a short clip of Mari saying "Congratulations"

*fin*

Igo

And that a lot of the trouble could have been avoided if just Misato had sat down with Shinji and told him what the hell is going on. Instead she puts an explosive collar around his neck and drowns him in passive aggressive silence.
To be expected from Misato. Definitely annoying, but what really had me pulling my hair out was Kaworu, the one person who genuinely cares about Shinji, not offering a proper explanation as it all went to shit.

Shinji may be a complete mess but he isn't an idiot. If Kaworu clues him in on the big revelation he's having then the 4th impact is probably avoided. Even after Shinji starts to realize what he's caused and asks what he should do next Kaworu still doesn't offer anything useful. Maddening.

Zoe

Rebuild makes more sense when you realize it's a sequel, not a reboot.

And 4.0
is going to be a return to the original.

CassSept

Wasn't 4.0 title written out with musical note for repeat at the end?

Also, wasn't "Neon Genesis Evangelion" part of the title written the way it was in original series, unlike other Rebuild movies which used different alphabet?

This series...

To be expected from Misato. Definitely annoying, but what really had me pulling my hair out was Kaworu, the one person who genuinely cares about Shinji, not offering a proper explanation as it all went to shit.

Shinji may be a complete mess but he isn't an idiot. If Kaworu clues him in on the big revelation he's having then the 4th impact is probably avoided. Even after Shinji starts to realize what he's caused and asks what he should do next Kaworu still doesn't offer anything useful. Maddening.

I was seriously staring in disbelief at the screen during that scene. So ludicrously bad, dreadful.

CassSept

I haven't seen 3.0. Is it really that bad? I quite liked 2.0 even though Mari is shoehorned fan service.

As a new EVA? That's debatable, but vast majority hates the direction they took the series and the way in which it was done.

As a film? In my opinion it's a really bad and deeply flawed movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom