• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final EVO 2016 Entrants numbers and Scheduled finals lineup

Tripon

Evo 2016 Numbers -

SFV - 5065
Smash 4 - 2637
Melee - 2350
Pokken - 1165
GG:XrdR - 903
UMvC3 - 770
MKX - 707
T7 - 543
KI - 540
#Evo2016

New updated numbers:

Evo 2016 Numbers - SFV 5107, Smash 4 - 2662, Melee - 2372, Pokken - 1180, GGxrd - 910, UMvC3 - 782, MKXL - 713, T7FR - 549, KI - 546
https://twitter.com/MrWiz/status/751082933276909569

https://twitter.com/EvilMrWizard/status/748775258828578817

Finals Schedule:

Friday:

Tekken

Saturday:

Smash 4, Pokken, Killer Instinct (Unsure of order at this moment)
https://twitter.com/Pond3r/status/748214118943965185

Sunday:

Mortal Kombat X, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator, Super Smash Brothers Melee, Street Fighter V (In that order)

https://twitter.com/EvilMrWizard/status/739853910530101248

Comparison of EVO 2015 entrants number vs 2016

Quick comparison of entrant counts between #EVO2015 and #EVO2016, excluding P4AU (437 in '15) & Pokken (1165 in '16)

CmQzm29VYAAMvqt.jpg

https://twitter.com/acekingoffsuit/status/748780594645995520

T.O.P

Banned
*just quoting from the other thread

It's not even comparable to SFV but i'm really happy to see that bump in players for KI :)

Didn't expect such a drop for MKX honestly

Hyped for some really good Balrog action at Evo anyway, it's the first character i'm really liking in V

Anyway, will watch (time zone permitting):

-KI
-GG
-MKX
-SFV

I might even try to catch Pokken, really curious about that game

Finaj

I hope KI continues to get bigger.

I'm surprised it's still that low considering it's on PC now.

Kyne

Smash Bros Wii U should replace Melee in the Sunday finals as it has the better numbers.

:\

ScribbleD

*just quoting from the other thread

It's not even comparable to SFV but i'm really happy to see that bump in players for KI :)

Didn't expect such a drop for MKX honestly

Hyped for some really good Balrog action at Evo anyway, it's the first character i'm really liking in V

Anyway, will watch (time zone permitting):

-KI
-GG
-MKX
-SFV

I might even try to catch Pokken, really curious about that game

Pokken is legit. It's also really exciting right now because it's such a wild card. It's hard to pinpoint frontrunners right now because it's a relatively simple game to get into and because it's so fresh. Not something you get to see too often.

Smash Bros Wii U should replace Melee in the Sunday finals as it has the better numbers.

You're absolutely right, but the Sunday top 8 lineup was decided and announced long before entrance numbers were finalized. It'd be a bit unfair to Melee players if they were told months ago their game would be in the arena on Sunday only to have that reversed a few weeks before Evo.

ScribbleD

I haven't followed MK a lot lately but how's the balance in XL?

I wonder if Sonic is still dominatic everything at this point

SonicFox is still the man to beat and the favorite to win whatever MK tourney he enters. He just won CEO this past weekend.

Right now it's a lot of Mileena and Alien. MK's balance tends to ebb and flow because NRS is pretty aggressive about balance updates. It keeps the meta fresh, but it also often results in huge swings and a lot of flavor of the month character picks.

You're absolutely right, but the Sunday top 8 lineup was decided and announced long before entrance numbers were finalized. It'd be a bit unfair to Melee players if they were told months ago their game would be in the arena on Sunday only to have that reversed a few weeks before Evo.

It'll happen next year, too, until one or both get dropped.

It's this circular problem where Melee gets more viewers, so it gets Sunday. But it also probably gets more viewers because it gets Sunday. So until or unless Evo just forces the change, the justification for punting Smash 4 to Saturday will always exist.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'm really interested in seeing zero's performance at EVO ball is really in his court

kewlmyc

Yay for mostly everything growing, especially Killer Instinct.

The drop for GGXrd is disappointing but at least it's only 50 or so people. It's still the 4th biggest game there, beating out freaking Mortal Kombat so that's cool.

The drop for Mortal Kombat is kinda shocking honeslty. SonixFox scaring everyone away or something?

I hope KI continues to get bigger.

I'm surprised it's still that low considering it's on PC now.

Being Windows 10 Store exclusive is hurting it.

I still think Melee gets better stream numbers. I do agree though. I found Wii U's top 8 more exciting than Melee's during CEO.

sinxtanx

It's this circular problem where Melee gets more viewers, so it gets Sunday. But it also probably gets more viewers because it gets Sunday. So until or unless Evo just forces the change, the justification for punting Smash 4 to Saturday will always exist.

Melee practically always gets more viewers, even at smaller events with both games on the same day.

And seriously, Melee is still growing? this train don't stop

Nah Melee gets more viewers at smash tournaments it's earned it's sunday spot,also add that there is a lot more overlap from the FGC for smash 4 than melee for entries.

Nah Melee gets more viewers at smash tournaments it's earned it's sunday spot,also add that there is a lot of overlap from the FGC for smash 4 than melee for entries.

Smash 4 and Melee actually don't have that much overlap. It was only around 300-400 last year I believe. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Pokken has more overlap with smash 4 than Melee does

Also, didn't Smash 4 get more viewership at CEO?

Smash 4 and Melee actually don't have that much overlap. It was only around 300-400 last year I believe. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Pokken has more overlap with smash 4 than Melee does

I should have worded that better I was saying smash 4 gets a lot more random FGC players that enter at evo.

That's a massive increase for SFV.

Seems KI got a decent boost with Win 10.

Actually it's a big increase overall, hope they can handle the load smoothly.

Seiniyta

Melee brings in the viewers. It's much more entertaining to watch

To me, as a spectator Melee has fallen off more and smash 4 has become more interesting. Smash 4 has a much more interesting narrative going into EVO then Melee has.
Melee still has more spectacle going on in the gameplay, but to me that's only half what makes these tournaments so awesome.

NotLiquid

The whole "Melee brings in more viewers" rhetoric doesn't work as much now as it did a year ago. CEO was huge turning point for Smash 4 and it's only going to get bigger moving onward.

If Smash 4 doesn't at least get prime time on Saturday it'll be pretty fucked up.

MKX drop is a factor of two things: there hasn't been a new patch since March (though a new one will drop after EVO), and NRS has already announced the next game (Injustice 2) do that has deflated current populations.

The whole "Melee brings in more viewers" rhetoric doesn't work as much now as it did a year ago. CEO was huge turning point for Smash 4 and it's only going to get bigger moving onward.

If Smash 4 doesn't at least get prime time on Saturday it'll be pretty fucked up.

I mean, I understand that they wouldn't know this when they decided the Sunday games, and they can't change them since they've already sold a ton of tickets to the sunday finals. Still, I hope they take this into consideration for next year

emb

Amazing how much Street Fighter blew up. I know Evo's growing and SF has a new, recent, game, but wow. Very nice!

Beats

Expected Pokken to have a bit more since it hit 1k in mid April iirc. Still good numbers I suppose.

Cool to see Smash 4 and Killer Instinct grow so much. They should really put both Smashes on Sunday. Mortal Kombat or MvC3 should be dropped.

A reddit comment that show some more interesting data:

https://m.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/4qqgrb/evo_2016_final_registration_numbers_released/?ref=search_posts

Mortal Kombat's drop despite it's huge pot bonus is interesting.

Wonder why Nintendo doesn't give any pot bonuses for the Smash games.

Cool to see Smash 4 and Killer Instinct grow so much. They should really put both Smashes on Sunday. Mortal Kombat or MvC3 should be dropped.

A reddit comment that show some more interesting data:

https://m.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/4qqgrb/evo_2016_final_registration_numbers_released/?ref=search_posts

Mortal Kombat's drop despite it's huge pot bonus is interesting.

They're not going to have no NRS games, that's just silly. WB has been a big sponsor and partner in the past and present. They'd drop KI far sooner than the newest NRS game.

Trace

Banned
Wonder how big UMVC3 would be if Capcom was still providing pot bonuses for it...

If anything I'm surprised to still see it that high on the list.

smurfx

get some go again
wow marvel dropped very little. i hope the top 8 is great if this is its last year. those sf5 numbers are insane. i had no idea it was up that high. i thought it was in the 2k range. also surprised at the melee 4 numbers. so its scene is currently growing? that's good to hear.

Top Bottom