• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash 4 and SFV EVO Finals will be aired on Disney XD

Sami+

I really don't think Nintendo is going to fork over the money it would take to get on TV to advertise a Wii U game. A console they don't even sell anymore.

It's the most recent one, and the game is still available to be bought in an official capacity unlike Melee which obviously ceased production years ago and isn't being sold by Nintendo digitally either.

Also, yes, 3DS.

Neoxon

It's the most recent one, and the game is still available to be bought in an official capacity unlike Melee which obviously ceased production years ago and isn't being sold by Nintendo digitally either.

Also, yes, 3DS.
Didn't they end Wii U production?

Calm Mind

What I mean is, Street Fighter is a competitive fighting game, it's in the game's DNA.

Tournament-level competitive Smash is more coincidental. Nintendo is more than willing to take advantage of that for marketing purposes, but it's not a core part of what those games are to them and probably never will be until Sakurai is done with the series. They are changing direction a bit with stuff like Splatoon and Arms, so other games that don't really have that same DNA like Smash or Mario Kart could possibly inch further in that direction in the future.

This blade needs sharpening.

crash-14

People giving more credit to nintendo than they deserves.

EVO has been the bigger part on this for sure (knowing they already have a relationship going with disney due sfv-espn)

Nintendo just allowed it to happen.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This blade needs sharpening.

When the director of the game says tournament play goes against his aspirations for the series, it feels like a pretty big stretch to say that type of play is the underlying foundation of the game.

Why am I so terrible at communicating. Back to square one, for context:

I think it's 100% why they are involved in esports at all. Nintendo has no interest at all in the more hardcore competitive aspects of their games Smash Bros beyond their ability to use it to sell more copies of said games.

Said literally every developer of every esports game ever.

Nintendo only cares about Smash tournaments to the extent that they can be used for marketing. If Evo 2017 was the last Smash tournament ever, for any Smash game, Nintendo would figuratively shrug its shoulders and Smash games would continue to release with no perceptible changes, because tournament play isn't one of the major factors driving its design. If any other esport community of comparable or larger size simply vanished overnight, it would be a much bigger deal to the developer/publisher.

(And my original quote isn't really accurate, because Nintendo has changed in the last few years, post-Splatoon)

If that doesn't express what I'm trying to say clearly enough, I give up.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
People giving more credit to nintendo than they deserves.

EVO has been the bigger part on this for sure (knowing they already have a relationship going with disney due sfv-espn)

Nintendo just allowed it to happen.
I doubt wiz is the one behind this, Nintendo already has a partnership with nintendo when it comes to esports, they were the ones to kick it off 1st

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
When the director of the game says tournament play goes against his aspirations for the series, it feels like a pretty big stretch to say that type of play is the underlying foundation of the game.
Smash by its very nature is made to be customizable in the way you want to play it

Even if a Smash port is coming this Fall I don't think they're going to announce one of their biggest games at EVO even if Smash is airing on Disney XD.

The only Nintendo game announcement in recent years I can remember at someone else's event has been Super Mario Run which was at announced at the iPhone event. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is published by Ubisoft and was during E3.

Except it's pretty clear what exact flavor of competitive play Sakurai dislikes, and it's not "all serious competition." I think it's incredibly obvious which types of communities the guy isn't fond of.

Smash is made such that people can basically play it the way they want on the serious competition <-> silly party spectrum. It's why the game received balance updates throughout and after it's release and DLC. People are crying about how "waaah Nintendo doesn't support the Smash competitive scene," but what that really means is "waaah they're not dumping lots of money into prize pools." The latter has pretty much nothing to do with competition, unless we only define games as competitive when it's for an audience and lots of money.

Like, folks should keep (or stop) crying that Nintendo doesn't equate putting competitive players on a payroll with being supportive of a game's competitive scene. It's pretty bizarre.

Damn it, I was gonna say "how long till people complain about Melee or it's fans?"

Seems like a fitting channel for the 2 games. Disney cares more about Smash than Nintendo lmaooo

What's funny is that you think Disney was the one that facilitated this and not EVO (which Nintendo is a sponsor of) or Nintendo

You would think they would stream UMVC3 as well seeing as it's Disney.

Lythero already got knocked out so who cares :(

Why am I so terrible at communicating. Back to square one, for context:

Nintendo only cares about Smash tournaments to the extent that they can be used for marketing. If Evo 2017 was the last Smash tournament ever, for any Smash game, Nintendo would figuratively shrug its shoulders and Smash games would continue to release with no perceptible changes, because tournament play isn't one of the major factors driving its design. If any other esport community of comparable or larger size simply vanished overnight, it would be a much bigger deal to the developer/publisher.

(And my original quote isn't really accurate, because Nintendo has changed in the last few years, post-Splatoon)

If that doesn't express what I'm trying to say clearly enough, I give up.

That's because those other fighting games likely can not make the same money as Smash Bros. Without their competitive following. (They probably don't as is. Isn't smash brawl STILL selling new copies as of like the beginning of this year?)

KHlover

Banned
Lythero already got knocked out so who cares :(

That's because those other fighting games likely can not make the same money as Smash Bros. Without their competitive following. (They probably don't as is. Isn't smash brawl STILL selling new copies as of like the beginning of this year?)
IIRC Brawl sold about half a million copies last year lol

D1 and VikkiKitty is fine, but I wish it was SilentDoom and Vikki instead. D1 is very professional, but he's still somewhat grassroots in his commentary, while SilentDoom is very articulate and has a way with words.

DogDude

I don't follow evo but why is the broadcast calendar put together so late for such a big event? I would fear there's going to be 0 promotion for this than a lack of interest from executives down the line.

Platy

If people complained Mika had to be toned down for ESPN .... she will have to wear actual clothing for Disney xD

Neoxon

I definitely think we will get a Smash 4 Deluxe for Switch. I'd be surprised if they waited for the fifth installment to put Smash on Switch.
I mean, we didn't get any news at E3, & a port being announced in 2018 would be a bit weird. It's entirely possible, don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure if people would take too kindly to a port after the first year or so.

mas8705

Definitely a marketing move if any now it seems. Have to say that this has to be the biggest kicker yet to something I had said earlier during Hungrybox's "NINTENDO NEEDS TO SUPPORT US!" speech. In it, I said that Nintendo would support four other games before they would support Melee: Smash 4, ARMS, Splatoon 2, and Pokken DX. As such, I would not be shocked at all that the move made to move Smash 4 into the Sunday slot and then to have it (and I guess SFV) shown on the grand stage at EVO while broadcasting it on Disney XD would be to have kids watch the action and in return inspire them to get Smash 4 on the Wii U or 3DS (or perhaps even Switch if Nintendo is deciding to make Smash for Switch or Smash 5). Can't really sell kids on a decade's old game that they probably can't purchase anyway. Not to hate on Melee since the fights are crazy to watch (and I can't wait for the Grand Finals tomorrow), but there's a reason why some people feel like it is the same song and dance and how the game has been solved while other games still see their meta continue to develop.

Top Bottom