• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PVP Live: Street Fighter 5 EVO TV Ratings Up From 2016

Surprised the numbers are up honestly. Not to the quality of SFV just that I figured the novelty worn off.
Waiting for the "SFV is Shit" posts to come flying by.

I didn't know that it getting more viewers on ESPN some how makes the game I don't like, how it plays or anything it's doing, somehow better.

MrCarter

People are also realizing how bad the game is, so they just lost interest.

lol it had more viewers on TV than last year due to the broadcast on Disney XD hence why the audience overlapped.

2016:
ESPN2 - 201K

2017:
ESPN2 - 180K
Disney XD - 101K

Total: 281K

I'm surprised people actually stayed watching Disney XD after the shitshow they put on with Smash Bros. They cut to commercial during one of Ken's games and didn't come back until the set was complete. And during the GF's they cut to a commercial during the point where Salem reset the match, although they made it back before he actually reset it.

You should see that "I think it's time to shed the idea..." thread on SFV. Trolls and actual fly-by shit posting galore.

OK? I didn't read that thread. I'm just saying that if you're tired of seeing that kind of shitposting, preemptively calling it out is in effect simply inviting more of it.

Surprised the numbers are up honestly. Not to the quality of SFV just that I figured the novelty worn off.

I didn't know that it getting more viewers on ESPN some how makes the game I don't like, how it plays or anything it's doing, somehow better.

Well technically the numbers and up and down depending on context. The ESPN2 numbers actually declined from last year(180k vs 201k). But since it was being simulcast on Disney XD the overall numbers are up(180k+101k=281k). I'm sure the Disney XD broadcast caused a significant dent to the ESPN2 broadcast. Not like it would have had all 101k extra people. But maybe at least half of that.

Like I said, numbers would have been less with it only being on ESPN2. But I would have actually preferred that to get the biggest number possible from only one channel so people can't say stuff like everybody turned all 4 of their TV's on to both channels. And it looks better to the networks and advertisers.

Are you new to sfv threads. 100% probability that a sfv thread positive or negative will turn to a flame war. Haters attack and fans get mad and flame wars start lol.

I've read some. Sure. Again I'm pointing out that unless you actually enjoy these arguments, "in before!!!!" shitposts are not productive to what you want to accomplish.

To put it another way, let's assume I crack my knuckles and decide to clean house in one of these threads. I would just as easily ban you guys for shitpost derails for the "in before" crap as I would people needlessly shitting on Street Fighter V with dumb drive by troll posts. They're all bad posts. "I'll see your bad post and raise you my own" is not how you raise the level of discourse.

Well technically the numbers and up and down depending on context. The ESPN2 numbers actually declined from last year(180k vs 201k). But since it was being simulcast on Disney XD the overall numbers are up(180k+101k=281k). I'm sure the Disney XD broadcast caused a significant dent to the ESPN2 broadcast. Not like it would have had all 101k extra people. But maybe at least half of that.

Like I said, numbers would have been less with it only being on ESPN2. But I would have actually preferred that to get the biggest number possible from only one channel so people can't say stuff like everybody turned all 4 of their TV's on to both channels.

Ah I see, thanks for the explanation.

MrCarter

That's about 500k between the ESPN2, Disney XD, and Twitch steams, not bad. Part of me didn't like the fact that SFV was being simulcast on two different channels. Even if it's less than this year's combined numbers, part of me wanted to see SFV top 8 on only ESPN2 so it could improve over last year's numbers.

Not a big deal but it would have been nice to see at least 250k and a better headline for the article about growth instead of decline.

I think due to the overlap of Disney XD a lot of people chose to watch it on there for some strange reason. Regardless, it's still up 80K from last year on TV and in addition, streams were also up from last year with 235K across both Twitch and YouTube.

Neoxon

I think due to the overlap of Disney XD a lot of people chose to watch it on there for some strange reason. Regardless, it's still up 80K from last year on TV and in addition, streams were also up from last year with 235K across both Twitch and YouTube.
Like I said, Smash 4 was also aired on there, so it's likely that quite a few viewers (myself included) who wanted to see both just stayed on Disney XD.

What part of the US did it air during GoT premiere? east coast GoT 9pm to 10pm, first top 8 match didn't start until 10:20pm est...

OK? I didn't read that thread. I'm just saying that if you're tired of seeing that kind of shitposting, preemptively calling it out is in effect simply inviting more of it.

You guys do realize that this sort of commentary is stupidly counterproductive, right?

You know I respect you a lot Steve, so I don't mean to be critical about this. But the kind of frustrated commentary you are seeing is a direct result of a lack of moderation enforcement. I have personally been banned before for "shitposting", so I know it's a thing. While I recognize moderators are not doing this as a full-time job, and you can't get everyone, there's rampant shitposting about SFV in any given thread about the game, and it doesn't seem like any attempts are being made to redirect or curb it.

mollipen

To put it another way, let's assume I crack my knuckles and decide to clean house in one of these threads. I would just as easily ban you guys for shitpost derails for the "in before" crap as I would people needlessly shitting on Street Fighter V with dumb drive by troll posts. They're all bad posts. "I'll see your bad post and raise you my own" is not how you raise the level of discourse.

People wouldn't be making "in before" posts if they weren't tired and frustrated with all of the anti-SFV shitposting that's done.

mas8705

I feel like this thread should be more about how Candy Crush is apparently considered as an eSport and how that feels all kinds of wrong since it was sitting up on top...

Lulubop

Wait wtf. Does the person who made this know Candy Crush is a game show on CBS hosted by Mario Lopez that is just using the CC branding? Lol.

You know I respect you a lot Steve, so I don't mean to be critical about this. But the kind of frustrated commentary you are seeing is a direct result of a lack of moderation enforcement. I have personally been banned before for "shitposting", so I know it's a thing. While I recognize moderators are not doing this as a full-time job, and you can't get everyone, there's rampant shitposting about SFV in any given thread about the game, and it doesn't seem like any attempts are being made to redirect or curb it.

People wouldn't be making "in before" posts if they weren't tired and frustrated with all of the anti-SFV shitposting that's done.

I don't know which mods play SF enough to regularly follow threads about it (Shouta and Teknopathic maybe?). As such, some needless Street Fighter shitting may skate on unnoticed. If you're concerned that a thread could use an intervention, it's worth considering PMing one of us to either address the thread or dish out bannings if necessary. If you have an attitude of "I ain't no snitch," that's fine as well. But the correct course of action isn't to then let your frustration get the better of you and needlessly lash out and perpetuate this whole dumb pissing match by preemptively invoking it with "in before dumb posters I don't like show up," which is only going to invite said trolls to participate.

If this thread was more active I wouldn't be responding and contributing to a derail here. I'm just saying that if the end goal is to stir shit up so that we finally react and do something about this, I'd consider it. But if I'm switching gears to "skull cracking mode," in addition to dispensing some bans to people in that "I think it's time to shed the idea that Street Fighter V is a bad game" thread, I'd issue at least 3 in this thread as well for whining metacommentary.

Fake edit: this is a hollow threat anyway as I really don't have the time to comb through that other thread right now and don't feel like banning anyone anyway.

Lemstar

tnl-media2-7d1a2.png

Admittedly, it's a produced documentary-style program and not live tournament footage, but still.

Skilletor

Admittedly, it's a produced documentary-style program and not live tournament footage, but still.

It's also on free television while ESPN is paid. Still, super good numbers. Had no idea this existed. I'll have to see if it's on a streaming service.

We'll have to wait for IJ2 Eleague for a like to like comparison.

I remember watching it. It was pretty interesting, not really the gameplay because they didn't show full rounds. It was about the lead up to the invitational and all the players interacting, with Sonic Fox being played up as the top dog to beat.

Top Bottom