• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PVP Live: Street Fighter 5 EVO TV Ratings Up From 2016

Tripon

Mod Abuse:

"Should probably include this in the OP, now that Disney XD numbers are out, game actually gained a lot more viewers:

280K vs 201k from last year, and this year it aired during GoT season premiere!"

________________________________________________________________________________

Street Fighter V's TV ratings for the EVO 2017 finals on ESPN2 show a slight decline from the 2016 broadcast. The 10pm EDT broadcast pulled in an average of 180,000 viewers across the three-plus hour event, and approximately 136,900 people in the key 18-49 demographic. The total viewership was mostly in ESPN's target audience for advertisers.

The 2016 simulcast with Twitch pulled in 201,000 average viewers on ESPN 2. The 2017 broadcast is similar to the Twitch numbers, with data saying the stream peaked with 179,072 on the main channel, and 219,568 on Twitch in total. The Twitch viewership is roughly on par with 2016's viewership totals.

Street Fighter V was not the only game at EVO with a TV broadcast. Disney XD broadcast the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U finals earlier in the afternoon. The ratings for this broadcast did not reach the top 150 in 18-49 viewership on Sunday. Disney XD targets boys 6-11, so the 18-49 demo is irrelevant to its performance for the network, though total viewership and the target numbers are unavailable.

https://pvplive.net/c/street-fighter-evo-tv-ratings-down-from-2016

Was there a time difference between last year and this year? I know I stayed up to 1am EST watching the finals this year. That's kind of late for east coast people who have to work Monday morning. (Plus Game of Thrones conflict)

bigkrev

Excuses, in the order of most relevent:

1.) The show started while the season premier of Game of Thrones was still airing
2.) ESPNs numbers are declining everywhere
3.) Less novelty in the second year
4.) Some people who were watching Smash on Disney never flipped the channel because Street Fighter was on after it as well.

1.) The show started while the season premier of Game of Thrones was still airing
4.) Some people who were watching Smash on Disney never flipped the channel because Street Fighter was on after it as well.

GoT was a juggernaut, especially when you have a 50% increase in viewership over last year's premiere.

There was a lot EVO was up against this year, but the Twitch numbers seem to be okay. eSports FGC is here to stay!
maybe idk please like subscribe leave a comment below im esports man

Mokubba

Pretty good. I hope this continues.
Even though I can't see the ESPN broadcast because I'm not in the US.

I wish there was a way if anyone knows.

molnizzle

to be fair, EVO had the date before GoT iirc :<

Yeah but they could still fudge the schedule. Maybe move a game from Sunday to Saturday and finish everything up early, or push SFV top 8 to later. I really wanted to watch the ESPN2 broadcast (and did last year), but there's no competing with the GoT season premiere. I had no choice.

FiggyCal

Banned

People are also realizing how bad the game is, so they just lost interest.

Ninjimbo

That's roughly the same as last year. Maybe that's all SF can really muster especially with this iteration of the game that's widely divisive. I don't know if ESPN and Disney are happy with those numbers but I like to imagine this shit is attracting more viewers than fucking Spelling Bee championships.

My wife was staring daggers at me. She wanted to watch GoT so badly and I delayed as long as I could. I had to give in just before grad finals. The only punk my wife wanted to see was Euron Greyjoy.

Sayad

Should probably include this in the OP, now that Disney XD numbers are out, game actually gained a lot more viewers:

280K vs 201k from last year, and this year it aired during GoT season premiere!

Skilletor

Should probably include this in the OP, now that Disney XD numbers are out, game actually gained a lot more viewers:

280K vs 201k from last year.

MAH NARRATIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of the top 8 was hype as fuck.

The eddie player in T7 was my favorite to watch. His movement was INSANE.

MrCarter

Posting from the SFV OT. From my calculations,

Streams on Twitch and YouTube: 235K
ESPN2: 180K
Disney XD: 101K

In total, an average of 516,000 people watched SFV EVO top 8. Great numbers and up from last year by over 100K.

That's about 500k between the ESPN2, Disney XD, and Twitch steams, not bad. Part of me didn't like the fact that SFV was being simulcast on two different channels. Even if it's less than this year's combined numbers, part of me wanted to see SFV top 8 on only ESPN2 so it could improve over last year's numbers.

Not a big deal but it would have been nice to see at least 250k and a better headline for the article about growth instead of decline.

Neoxon

Titles says up but article says down?
I guess ratings are up overall due to Disney XD. If I had to guess on ESPN2's issue, it may be a combination of GoT & Disney XD airing SFV after Smash 4, resulting in some not changing channels (which is what I did until my sister jacked the TV).

Top Bottom