• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash 4 and SFV EVO Finals will be aired on Disney XD

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty cool. Likely wouldn't have happened if Melee was on Sunday instead. I wonder if they will have a different set of commentators like SFV did on ESPN.

If Smash 4 is anything like Melee, top 8s at super majors have boring "esports" commentary so a different set of commentators wouldn't be necessary.

On the other hand, if that meant we could get some fun commentators for the stream while the more professional commentary was on TV...

If Smash 4 is anything like Melee, top 8s at super majors have boring "esports" commentary so a different set of commentators wouldn't be necessary.

On the other hand, if that meant we could get some fun commentators for the stream while the more professional commentary was on TV...

I wonder if Nintendo would provide their own recommendations for commentators.

Sami+

I wonder if Nintendo would provide their own recommendations for commentators.

They've already announced the commentators, yeah D1 is one of them. VikkiKitty and SilentDoom as well, among others. D1's a lock for top 8 imo and maybe Vikki? She was on the ARMS E3 thing.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This is also the first time I've cared at all that Smash 4 got the Sunday slot over Melee. Saturday vs Sunday is totally irrelevant to me since I'm off both days this year anyway.

Still not like Nintendo would have bothered with this if Melee was the Sunday event anyway, so it's hard to actually be disappointed. But it's nice to think what-if.

CronoShot

Age doesn't really have anything to do with quality. They won't air a 16 year old game because it doesn't advertise a game they are currently selling.

I really don't think Nintendo is going to fork over the money it would take to get on TV to advertise a Wii U game. A console they don't even sell anymore.

That's awesome.

Wonder if this is leading to a Smash Bros for Switch announcement. Smash U getting the boost over Melee is great.

trixx

I really don't think Nintendo is going to fork over the money it would take to get on TV to advertise a Wii U game. A console they don't even sell anymore.
Also available for 3ds. Also I'm guessing it's just advertising the game in general. Who knows a switch port might be on the table

Disney XD actually started into Esports with Nintendo:

November 25 said:
Disney XD is reteaming with Nintendo for its second original eSports TV show. “Clash of Karts: Mario Kart 8” (Dec. 5 at 8 p.m.) is a one-hour special that pits four two-person teams of kids ages 13 to 17 coached by YouTube influencers Mari Takahashi, Meghan Camarena, Seth Bling, and Andre Meadows in a Mario Kart 8 video game tournament. Alison Haislip and Matt Rife host the original eSports competition, which is played on Nintendo’s Wii U console in front of a live audience of about 50 kids.

On Oct. 16, Disney XD aired a one-hour special based on the Nintendo World Championships 2015, which was taped at the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles on June 14 before the E3 trade show. The revival of one of the earliest eSports events, which debuted in 1990, featured 16 gamers competing across a series of five games: Super Metroid for the Super NES, Splatoon, Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart 8, and Super Mario Maker for the Wii U.

Marc Buhaj, senior vice president of programming and general manager of Disney XD, says the special had “good bones,” with the audience staying tuned in throughout the hour. And that opened the door for more exploration into eSports.

“Our first experiment earlier in the year was a formal event that was like a decathlon of eSports,” Buhaj says. “We wanted to focus on a single game with this special and have a more intimate event.”

Disney XD stuck with Nintendo’s popular Mario Kart 8 game because Buhaj says the franchise is cross-generational and offers exciting and quick races that require a lot of skill. It’s also a game that doesn’t take itself too seriously, which offers a comedy element to the drama of eSports.

“ESports is something that’s blossoming, but it’s still early days,” Buhaj says. “How it’ll be covered for the kids’ audience is still something that remains to be seen.”
http://fortune.com/2015/11/25/disney-xd-esports-nintendo-mario-kart/

Same guy, Senior Vice President Marc Buhaj, who was impressed with the Nintendo World Championships made this announcement earlier this year.

— Prominent Gaming Personalities to Be Featured in Original Series
‘Polaris Primetime,’ ‘Parker Plays’ and ‘Polaris: Player Select’ —

Disney will debut D|XP, a daily summer programming block dedicated to the world of gaming, SATURDAY, JULY 15 (9:00 p.m.–3:00 a.m. EDT), on Disney XD. D|XP will showcase games, publishers, events and prominent personalities across the gaming landscape including both entertainment gaming and esports. The television and multiplatform destination – featuring content produced in collaboration with ESPN, Disney Digital Network and its Maker creators, IGN, Attack Media, Warner Bros. Television Group’s Blue Ribbon Content, Banger Films, ESL (Electronic Sports League) and VICE’s Waypoint – is designed to connect with gaming enthusiasts of all ages, with a core demographic of age 13+.

In making the announcement, Marc Buhaj, senior vice president, Programming and general manager, Disney XD, said, “Gaming is a lifestyle for our audience. This summer, we’re collaborating with leading creative partners in the industry to deliver original programming, access to some of the biggest esports tournaments and leagues, and entry to key gaming-related events. D|XP will showcase diverse storytelling across the video game landscape, and celebrate gaming culture and community.”

Other programming includes: ESPN Esports programming that will provide front row access to major esports events; “The IGN Show” – a daily show from IGN Entertainment hosted by Alanah Pearce (Charalanahzard), Naomi Kyle and team that delivers exclusive new game footage, expert gaming tips, and prime coverage from the biggest gaming and pop culture events, executive produced by Wade Beckett and Blair Herter; “The Attack” – a daily variety show with hosts Alex Corea and Erin Steeby, delivering a unique blend of sketch and commentary, executive produced by Kevin Pereira; Banger Films’ coverage of Nintendo’s E3 Splatoon, Arms and Pokkén tournaments, original comedy-driven gaming co-productions with Blue Ribbon Content; and series from ESL including speedrunning and another where professional gamers and amateurs compete against one another.

I expect a lot of competitive Nintendo to be shown by Disney XD.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I think it's 100% why they are involved in esports at all. Nintendo has no interest at all in the more hardcore competitive aspects of their games beyond their ability to use it to sell more copies of said games.

And Smash probably has a Switch port on the way. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it was announced during Smash 4 top 8.

CronoShot

I think it's 100% why they are involved in esports at all. Nintendo has no interest at all in the more hardcore competitive aspects of their games beyond their ability to use it to sell more copies of said games.

And Smash probably has a Switch port on the way. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it was announced during Smash 4 top 8.

Said literally every developer of every esports game ever.

And yeah, Smash Switch might get announced. In that case, I would understand Nintendo forking over the money for what would essentially be a three hour commercial for their new game/console. I just can't see them doing this just for the Wii U and 3DS versions, as old as they are.

Gorillaz

I'm actually surprised smash is on sunday now

That was always the Saturday big one even after people saying it should close with the big dogs on sunday.

EhoaVash

Pretty sure if you get regular Disney Channel then Disney XD is like the next channel up.

Nope I have Comcast while Disney channel is available, Disney XD is not. Its part of the larger package package of Channels. It isn't available if you have the basic or standard Comcast package. So yeah no wonder this channel viewership is such low.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Said literally every developer of every esports game ever.

And yeah, Smash Switch might get announced. In that case, I would understand Nintendo forking over the money for what would essentially be a three hour commercial for their new game/console. I just can't see them doing this just for the Wii U and 3DS versions, as old as they are.

What I mean is, Street Fighter is a competitive fighting game, it's in the game's DNA.

Tournament-level competitive Smash is more coincidental. Nintendo is more than willing to take advantage of that for marketing purposes, but it's not a core part of what those games are to them and probably never will be until Sakurai is done with the series. They are changing direction a bit with stuff like Splatoon and Arms, so other games that don't really have that same DNA like Smash or Mario Kart could possibly inch further in that direction in the future.

Neoxon

You do bring up a good point. Why bother advertising a game on a dead system?

What I mean is, Street Fighter is a competitive fighting game, it's in the game's DNA.

Tournament-level competitive Smash is more coincidental. Nintendo is more than willing to take advantage of that for marketing purposes, but it's not a core part of what those games are to them and probably never will be until Sakurai is done with the series. They are changing direction a bit with stuff like Splatoon and Arms, so other games that don't really have that same DNA like Smash or Mario Kart could possibly inch further in that direction in the future.

Smash 4 underwent balancing targeted directly at competitive play both before and after its release. I mean the game was presented at E3 one year in a tournament. Smash has alot more modes to balance than just its core competitive mode and a huge number of characters.

We can talk Melee vs Smash 4 preferences and how Sakurai views a balanced game all day, but to act like Smash 4 didn't go through a competitive microscope is simply not true.

On a more related note we should get the Black Plague doin commentary. They are the best Smash 4 commentators IMO, but D1 and vikkikitty are still fantastic. Smash 4 actually has alot of good commentators and both D1 and vikkikitty have experience doing these kind of events. They both commentated a junior Smash tourney nintendo hosted that i think was like 12 and under only?
It ended up being super hype

Top Bottom