• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: all parts will have the size of a full game

studyguy

FFVII fully voiced and realized into current gen is going to be one long as fuck game....
If this blows up I fully expect them to do the same for VIII and IX, I for one am ok with that.

People will bitch, but they'll still fall over themselves to buy it.

evilr

Banned
3 games at 60 each is probably as far as they could go until people got a bit annoyed with it.
They could maybe push a 4th game that reuses assets from all 3 for a new Zach game if they wanted.

For some reason I believe there will be. After the main story, it cuts to Cloud on his bike in the snow, riding to see Rufus. Ala Advent Children.

They'll revamp it and have Advent Children as playable as an epilogue.

I beat you!

So basically nothing news. A full game can be between few hours to hundred hours. They just tried to dodge how many episodes question.

AntMurda

I really don't understand how people assumed otherwise. We've seen Square do the X same series sequels for a decade now.

jackdoe

I wonder how much redundant world map data is going to be carried over from part to part. I could see each part containing "ten hours of new story content", but shares the same assets as each previous part. Which sounds a hell of a lot like DLC. Only it will probably $60 DLC, $80 in Japan.

The world-map is quite big... Towns are not. Even Midgar, which is ideally quite big, is not that huge in the game.

You're right that Midgar was definitely the one truly large-scale one but I remember Wutai, Junon, and Nibelheim being pretty big, among others. And even then they said Midgar's being expanded, so some others definitely could be.

The other thing is that there's a loooooooot of them.

Plus there's also things like the underwater sections to take into account, if they're still in.

You guys know that disc 3 pretty much just had the final dungeon on it, right?

That's why I don't think it's going to be split exactly where each disc ends, definitely. The first two discs are long enough (esp Disc 1) that they could slot some reasonable end points in there somewhere. Like, everything that goes on at the Whirlwind Maze is pretty climactic, so's the return to the Nibelheim flashback...

Somnid

You guys need to stop worrying about size and start worrying more about SE's ability to deliver anything in a timely manner.

TimmiT

So basically nothing news. A full game can be between few hours to hundred hours. They just tried to dodge how many episodes question.
How many full RPGs have you played that were only a few hours long? Cause I kinda doubt that they mean that the games will be that short.

Juraash

I was holding off on posting about this until we got some more info. That said, I'm not hating this plan. If it sort of becomes 1 episode = 1 disc plus more a fleshed out story and world for that segment...I'm down.

Blizzard did the same thing technically with StarCraft II and that wound up being a thoroughly enjoyable experience, for me at least.

For VII I may try and wait it out until all the parts are out there before playing. We'll see what the release schedule winds up being and how many installments we're looking at.

entremet

Why do people keep bring up the disc model of the original game?

This is gonna is gonna be a complete revamp, new scenarios, sections, etc.

Stop bringing up that paradigm. It won't be accurate for FFVIIr at all.

It's essentially separate games so that's a huge wildcard. All we know is that they will be adding expanded content.

We have no idea how the parts or games will be divided yet. Using the original as a barometer is foolish.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Disc 1 is ~60% of the game.
Disc 2 is ~36% of the game.
Disc 3 is ~4% of the game.

That's always been my experience, FYI; and I have spent days on end envisioning my favorite games as TV shows/movies, so please be excited and take my word as Great Gospel.

So they're dividing up the original game and selling them in parts?

What's their idea of a full size game? 20 hours? 15 hours?

So three 20 hours games for 60$ each? I'm skeptical of this. I love Final Fantasy 7 but this is a wait and see for me.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
So The Hobbit in video game form. If it has the content of 3 full games say, then okay...

Nomura and Square Enix can be pretty ambitious with FF. I look forward to an intensely detailed looking project.

I don't want to see this happen with FFXVI but I think they'd just do the normal sequel instead.

How many Xenoblades, Xenoblades X and Witchers 3 is that?

Its funny people are eating SE excuse to sell them a game for 180 dollars divided in parts of 20 hours (at most) intead of 60 dollars full RPG experience, saying the original was massive.

Massive, really? There has been so many RPGs, even from them, with the size of what could be a fully 3D FFVII, the excuse is stupid as hell.
It sounds just like, "but its to hard to make 3D towns guys!"

Square-Enix probably don't know themselves yet how many games they will end up making here. And while it's true that game length times vary, I don't think there's any reason right now to believe that by "full-sized game" they mean "a Call of Duty single-player campaign."

Ploid 3.0

The GAF drama queens will still make a 20 page thread about how this sucks

I really dislike comments like these. It only incite arguments. It's more constructive to instead explain to people that can only see the bad, why they shouldn't worry and be hopeful. Show them what you see, difuse the "drama queens" with facts.

This thread OP kinda tilts me into a positive, but now I need to know what a Full Game is to the person that made the comment, or PR person. I still need to know if overworld will be sacrificed, and if at all 3 games will we be able to go to all locations or will certain locations be locked to their specific episode* (game, or whatever).

I highly can't see them making not 1 but 3 Final Fantasy 7 games. I still think it's split. FF13, 13-2, and 13-3 were 3 games for sure.

expected really, if you think of all the locations in ff7, recreating them in 3d and with todays standard would result in a game with the budget of a huge mmo.

Top Bottom