• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: all parts will have the size of a full game

ghostjoke

Banned
Square, please stop talking until you figure out what the hell you are making. "Full-sized game" means absolutely nothing, especially when you're referring to a remake we knows the ins and outs of. It really does come across as they decided to cash in the FFVII remake for money before realising what they were undertaking.

evilr

Banned
You guys know that disc 3 pretty much just had the final dungeon on it, right?

We do. The parts are not disc changes per say, but I'd fully expect a 3-part franchise with the released comments. Part one ideally the whole Midgar sequence.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm not sure if these people that create these PR releases/announcements think we're dumb/illiterate or if they're dumb/illiterate. Like... of course we didn't expect that each game would be a hacked off portion of a full game. The fuck guys.

Josh378

Yes I can finally visit sector 3, 2 and one, maybe I can visit some of Barrett's family or maybe maybe even SOLDIER training camp in Midgar! All the possibilities are endless in this remake.

You guys know that disc 3 pretty much just had the final dungeon on it, right?
A lot of us know, I'm just pretty positive the parts will be split completely differently than in the original games with the disc. I can see part one being mostly Midgar especially if they expand the hell out of it like the nice ps4 theme shows it.

Square, please stop talking until you figure out what the hell you are making. "Full-sized game" means absolutely nothing, especially when you're referring to a remake we knows the ins and outs of. It really does come across as they decided to cash in the FFVII remake for money before realising what they were undertaking.
How so? I think this approach says the opposite, really.

FFVII fully voiced and realized into current gen is going to be one long as fuck game....
If this blows up I fully expect them to do the same for VIII and IX, I for one am ok with that.

People will bitch, but they'll still fall over themselves to buy it.

I love VIII. It's my favorite. I know a ton of people around here love IX.
I'm realistic enough to know that both of these games are divisive enough that I can't see S-E spending the same money and resources on remakes of VII's scale.
VII remake became one of the most demanded projects in the industry for over a decade. VIII and IX, sadly, not so much.

If we are lucky we will get some kind of remaster if/when it's feasible to re-do the prerendered backgrounds, up the character models, and maybe add VA.

What I really want is a fully realized Amano-designed remake of FFVI.
That is a dream I've had for a long damn time. :(

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Something else worth noting is that Midgar, as it stands, is typically gotten through in 4-8 hours. My gut tells me there's a decent chance Midgar is the first chapter of the new FFVII-R series, but if so, it's definitely going to need to lean heavily on fresh content.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Blizzard did the same thing technically with StarCraft II and that wound up being a thoroughly enjoyable experience, for me at least.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this, but this comparison makes the most sense to me. Everyone lost their shit when they announced that Starcraft II's campaign would be split into 3 games. But in the end, we got three games each with a campaign as long or longer than the original game.

Hopefully SquareEnix delivers here and offers up a "full game" (aka - a game the size of Final Fantasy 7) in each episode.

How many Xenoblades, Xenoblades X and Witchers 3 is that?

Its funny people are eating SE excuse to sell them a game for 180 dollars divided in parts of 20 hours (at most) intead of 60 dollars full RPG experience, saying the original was massive.

Massive, really? There has been so many RPGs, even from them, with the size of what could be a fully 3D FFVII, the excuse is stupid as hell.
It sounds just like, "but its to hard to make 3D towns guys!"

I bought Trails in the Sky FC and Trails in the Sky SC, which is one original game which was split into two when Falcom felt it was getting too large, and both games had more than enough content to satisfy me. So yes, I have no intrinsic problems with this model.

MayMay

Banned
Love how everyone keeps calling it "episodes" even though it was never mentioned like that.

What's so hard to understand, especially with this statement it's easy to see that this is gonna be a series of full size releases like XIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns.

People keep thinking they won't expand the game even though we already have confirmation that they'll add more content.

But yeah, let's get upset! This damn outrage culture on here, lately.

Gbraga

I'm not concerned about how long it is, but how much meaningful content it has.

They can add a ton of filler crap to make every episode as long as FFVII itself, but that wouldn't be a good thing.

I'm not sure if these people that create these PR releases/announcements think we're dumb/illiterate or if they're dumb/illiterate. Like... of course we didn't expect that each game would be a hacked off portion of a full game. The fuck guys.

There are people in this very thread who are still expecting exactly that.

chozen

So each part will be the size of The Witcher 3? Awesome

6vu9PUa.png

They can do it. This is FFXVs map. Midgar alone should be slightly bigger than Fallout 4.

Subaru

I'm thinking it they will make it "post-game" content for each chapter... and how they would balance this shit.

Zukuu

Banned
FF 7 has as much content as a single game, because IT WAS A SINGLE GAME. Stop with this BS "disc 1 is like 3-4 games already". It isn't.

I swear, the industry's marketing is so effective when people are willingly agree with shady corporate tactics. Why do people settle for less for no reason?

This is what "cinematic single player" has brought us. Sub 10 hour full priced games people are willing to defend.

Haha, I can just imagine grinding all the way to level 99 (assuming they keep the level system) only for your progress to be completely gone in the next "game" and you start from a recommended level or something.

Madchad

What i would love for there to be is some way of doing a full install of every disc once they have completed it. So we then have a seamless game.

Will never happen though ;/

Wagram

Assuming it's not PR and they truly want to capture the vision of FF7 then I understand, and most of us probably jumped to a judgement far too quickly. Luckily, SE has responded swiftly this time instead of staying silent.

FF7 has a lot of areas that are small in size, and that simply wouldn't work in today's market. Imagine walking into a city for the equivalent of 1 or 2 screens. People would flip a lid that the area is too small so they will have to expand the scope of certain areas. Sucks we'll likely have to pay for 3 discs, but I mean if they want to be faithful, I don't see the problem. I could imagine a LOT of content being cut if it was one disc. This isn't going to be a shit ton of asset reuse like Witcher 3 or Fallout.

How many Xenoblades, Xenoblades X and Witchers 3 is that?

Its funny people are eating SE excuse to sell them a game for 180 dollars divided in parts of 20 hours (at most) intead of 60 dollars full RPG experience, saying the original was massive.

Massive, really? There has been so many RPGs, even from them, with the size of what could be a fully 3D FFVII, the excuse is stupid as hell.
It sounds just like, "but its to hard to make 3D towns guys!"

To bring FFVII's content into this era at a level that is as impressive now as it was back then is massive, yes.

Gnomist

Revven said:
It's this generation's FFXIII.

What makes you think they'll manage to get all the episodes out during this generation? Even if they had completely separate teams building at once and sharing assets, I have a hard time imagining what is essentially multiple brand new titles being created in anything less than a two year development cycle. And that's if everything goes well. We're in this for a long while guys.

Brew124

The more I hear about this, the more I am okay with it. It sounds like it's going to be similar to the XIII trilogy, with each part being roughly 20-30 hours worth of content, possibly more depending on circumstance.

What i would love for there to be is some way of doing a full install of every disc once they have completed it. So we then have a seamless game.

Will never happen though ;/

They arent calling these "games" they are calling them "parts" (of the same game).

I believe this is going to be treated like expansions onto an MMO, same game.

Mash83

I'm actually ok with that

Sadly I am too. They know this and so they will get away with it. Hopefully there is enough content to justify the price and the wait between episodes isn't crazy long. The problem with episodic content is that it needs to be somewhat regular or the momentum is lost.

That's why I always wait for telltale games to completely finish before I get them. I won't be able to wait for ffvii.

Dreez

They arent calling these "games" they are calling them "parts" (of the same game).

I believe this is going to be treated like expansions onto an MMO, same game.

That would be my ideal situation... just lock off unfinished areas like an MMO please 🙏

Top Bottom